As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chernobyl, Comrades!

MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Social Entropy++
So, I've been hooked on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, and have since become more interested in the actual history, footage, maps, and photography of that region.
I have already been decidedly interested, previously. Consequently, I have seen some good info like the following:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/
Awesome website of some woman that road throughout the Chernobyl region. All true with lots of pictures.

Other than that, I have only seen some ok images and footage on National Geographic, History Channel, and similar channels.

Anyone have more to offer?
Let us dance in the glow of the glory of our Communism!

steam_sig.png
Machismo on

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The glory of our Communism?

OKAY THAT'S IT I'M GOING TO PUNCH YOUR MOTHER'S CERVIX

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Soviet and Chinese communism is the wrong kind of communism!

Then why does it feel so right

Javen on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    man at least they had something interesting happen

nothing ever happens around here. wheres my meltdown. lucky commie bastards

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, my computer sucks way too hard to run S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Homeless on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

In Soviet China, sticks chop you!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    that only took 7 posts!

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem with communism is that it's hard to achieve, and the problem with fascism is that it's all too easy to achieve

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What I'd like to know is why there were no super-heroes spawned after the meltdown.
    I mean, how many superheroes got their powers from good old radiation? Lots, thats how many.
    Why did we see no Flash's or Spiderman's?

Ranx on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Vivixenne wrote: »

In Soviet China, sticks chop you!

Failed

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »
    that only took 7 posts!

Not unplanned, I assure you.

t ZeroZero: shut up little man or maybe I won't take you to wear you could have three hot girls in your lap when you come to Shanghai. Maybe I'll take you to where the trannies hang out.

WOULD YOU LIKE THAT, BITCH?

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Farside, communism will never work because people are assholes. The sooner you accept that and move on, the better.

Sami on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chernobyl happened because they were trying to contain (i.e. isolate from the environment) a nuclear reactor in a tin building (like trying to contain an explosion using a cardboard box) . Three Mile Island is the worse nuclear disaster in the U.S. and no radiation was release to the surroundings (the core cracked and that's it). When the engineers at Chernobyl were running a drill, a valve stuck cutting off cooling to the core; it overheated and then fractured. Because it was only in a tin building (not behind 6 feet of steel-reinforced concrete), the radiation easily spread to the city giving a lot of people more than a fatal dose of radiation. Vomiting, hair loss, and open sores ensued until eventual multiple organ failure.

Wee! I like being a nuclear engineer!

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Viv I would love if you did that

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    woah hey there are other nuclear engineers?

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Hell yeah!

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »

Punched the OP's mom right in the cervix or took Zero to trannytown, Shanghai?

Or both.

I could do both. I am like. Super.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Explain to me the dealy with turning nuclear waste into lead because that sounds too good to be true.

(which it probably is)

Sami on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yar, melting firemen too, Comrades!

A colleague is reading a book titled "Voices of Chernobyl" or something. Lots of first hand accounts of the victims and such. Looks cool.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Or both.

You have like, huge balls

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    msuitepyon wrote: »

Hell yeah!

I start nuclear classes next semester. I'm pretty excited.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Explain to me the dealy with turning nuclear waste into lead

Nuclear decay through various methods of releasing alpha, beta, and gamma particles over several thousands of years.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Hell yeah!

I start nuclear classes next semester. I'm pretty excited.

Pray you have a good textbook. My book was hard to read, so I had a lot of difficulty.

Next fall, I'm taking a Plasma Physics and Fusion Engineering class as an elective. I'm pretty excited.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    will you make me a plasma rifle?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    will you make me a plasma rifle?

I'll try. Even though plasma is just ionized gas.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pray you have a good textbook. My book was hard to read, so I had a lot of difficulty.

Next fall, I'm taking a Plasma Physics and Fusion Engineering class as an elective. I'm pretty excited.

Man, that's awesome. I was thinking about doing fusion instead of power engineering, but I'm not sure yet.

Still have a year to decide, so I'm not too worried.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Or both.

Trannytown, Shanghai

what
    There are whispered rumors of such a place where the proportion of men-turned-women (physically) is higher than most other parts of the city.

This is as yet unconfirmed, but most of these people are foreigners owing to the fact that sex-change surgery isn't exactly the hot gossip in China.

I am determined to find out if this place exists... and I would dearly love to bring ZeroZero along with me.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I think getting shot with ionized gas might hurt, I mean is it hot? or you could just put the gas in a jelly and shoot that at people

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Man, that's awesome. I was thinking about doing fusion instead of power engineering, but I'm not sure yet.

Still have a year to decide, so I'm not too worried.
    Fusion is wicked. I like the idea of ramming deuterium in tritium and creating a miniature sun.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Explain to me the dealy with turning nuclear waste into lead

Nuclear decay through various methods of releasing alpha, beta, and gamma particles over several thousands of years.

No, there was something on the news the other day about a quicker process to turn it into lead, as in, a few years time instead of a few millenia. I'll go see if I can find it.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Or both.

You have like, huge balls

GARGANTUAN they are.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Machismo wrote: »
    http://www.kiddofspeed.com/
    All true with lots of pictures.

NO NO NO NO NO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidofspeed

The photos are arranged in the form of a story presented as an account of a trip by a biker who somehow got a permit to travel alone in the radiation zone. The accuracy of that story has since been questioned, not least because motorcycles are specifically forbidden inside the 30km reactor exclusion zone, which can only be accessed through permanently manned checkpoints. Chernobyl tour guides and tourists to Chernobyl have claimed that that Filatova visited the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone only as part of an organized tour.[1] Chernobyl tour guide Yuriy Tatarchuk recalls that Filatova "booked a tour, wore a leather biker jacket and posed for pictures." Her website appeared soon after.[2]

Around May 16, 2004, Filatova posted to her website that she was "being accused that it was more poetry in this story then reality. I partly accept this accusation, it still was more reality then poetry"; by May 24 she had removed the note.[3]

Facts, yes, are true, and it's still a beautiful story, very moving, and very informative... but it is a piece of mostly fiction.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Explain to me the dealy with turning nuclear waste into lead because that sounds too good to be true.

(which it probably is)

Well uranium and other things decay into lead on their own, you could probably speed up the process or initiate it elsewhere by doing something like bombarding it with neutrons, or something to that effect anyway. But this is basically transmutation we're talking about, alchemy from the old days. With nuclear stuff it can actually be done, but I doubt it is easy, or cheap. Large scale is probably not feasible.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I think getting shot with ionized gas might hurt, I mean is it hot? or you could just put the gas in a jelly and shoot that at people
    Well, in order to make a fusion reactor using plasma, you have to have it heated to above 10000˚C and contained using inertia or supermagnets. So, a plasma gun may be a little big.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    well chernobyl is fiction too, so what does it matter

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, in order to make a fusion reactor using plasma, you have to have it heated to above 10000˚C and contained using inertia or supermagnets. So, a plasma gun may be a little big.

well then make really small supermagnets and heaters. come on guy, I didn't say it would be easy

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dark Age of Technology!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    anyways guns don't make their own bullets either. talking about a plasma gun, not generator

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

(which it probably is)

Well uranium and other things decay into lead on their own, you could probably speed up the process or initiate it elsewhere by doing something like bombarding it with neutrons, or something to that effect anyway. But this is basically transmutation we're talking about, alchemy from the old days. With nuclear stuff it can actually be done, but I doubt it is easy, or cheap. Large scale is probably not feasible.

I think the easiest way to reduce nuclear waste is to introduce waste reprocessing (which Jimmy Carter banned after taking one nuclear engineering class at Georgia Tech and called himself an "expert" on the subject). Everyone outside the U.S. uses reprocessing to fuel some of their reactors. Basically, they take a waste and separate the fissionable products and stick them back in the reactor.

msuitepyon on