As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Also if you play P4 on a PS3 I think you don't ever see area location names. It's nothing major, but that's what I've heard. You're also going to have a really hard time catching a fish for a side-quest if you don't have rumble.

Personally though I'd say go with Nocturne or the two DDS games. They're really the best.

The location titles don't show on the 80GB PS3, and the no rumble is in the way of the fishing minigame.

Nocturne does look really nice upscaled though, thanks to it's clean art style

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Would you still get rumble if you had a Dualshock 3 controller though? Or is it just completely gone?

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Would you still get rumble if you had a Dualshock 3 controller though? Or is it just completely gone?

Works with a dualshock, or I'd assume it would. It would be lazyness on an epic scale to not send the rumble, since it's the exact same controller

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I swear I'll never be able to listen to this music the same way again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQhgTN7bNH8&feature=related

I happen to have it on my custom playlist in my Xbox, and when I heard those first few notes... the memories came flooding back.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can't stand the normal battle theme, but the one in Town is awesome.

However, that wicked guitar riff is still pretty nice

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Town is my favorite, but that one is pretty iconic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    P4 has rumble on my PS3 dualshock. Location names aren't all that necessary.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I really have to wonder what they used to render them that causes the 80GB to not have the names.

They work fine in Persona 3, and Nocturne, and all other text works fine.

Also of note: Keep back up saves, P4 likes to tell you that your saves corrupted

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    ElKaboomElKaboom Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for all the info. guys! Still not absolutely sure which one I'll be picking up, but I definitely appreciate the input.

A big thing for me right now is how easy it is to find them, and I know for a fact that my Fry's has P4 right on the shelf, but we'll see.

ElKaboom on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also if you play P4 on a PS3 I think you don't ever see area location names. It's nothing major, but that's what I've heard. You're also going to have a really hard time catching a fish for a side-quest if you don't have rumble.

Location names don't show up on the 80gb/software emulation. They show up on the 60gb/hardware emulation.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wonder if anyone could help me out with some advice. I started a new playthrough of Persona 3 and I'm four days away from the second Full Moon bosses, the Emperor and Empress. I'm not sure though if I've got the right Personas for the fight despite covering the bases with the basic attack spells. Here's who I've got so far on my Lv16 self.

Orpheus (yeah, I know, but for some reason he kept finding a way back on my team due to his fusion-heal spell with Apsaras)
    Yomotsu Shikome
    Oberon
    Jack Frost
    Pyro Jack
    Omoikane
    Nigi Mitama
    Chimera

I've been trying to keep my hands on a Hermit, Emperor, Magician, Hierophant and Chariot due to the related Social Links I've been working on, though I'm willing to sacrifice one of them temporarily if just to keep from lousing up the fight. If anyone here can suggest what I oughta have by now, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can basically solo Emperor and Empress without taking any damage.
    Set Akihiko and Junpei to Wait, hit Emperor with a magic attack, and Empress with a physical attack; cancel the all-out, they'll spend their turn getting up from knock-down status

Repeat

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I can't seem to make Yoshitsune. I can't get the Tower Persona needed for his fusion. Actually, I can't seem to get any Tower Persona. I've got like two.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I swear I'll never be able to listen to this music the same way again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQhgTN7bNH8&feature=related

I happen to have it on my custom playlist in my Xbox, and when I heard those first few notes... the memories came flooding back.

In my mind, the first few notes of that song are permanently associated with the MC punching some demon in the face.

It just jumps out at me. After doing it for maybe thousands of times I guess that stuff just sticks with you.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I associate it with Girimehkala screaming, and the whole party getting Mudo'd five seconds later.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This elicts the strongest response from me,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQLGKydpxt4

Gammarah on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    So, I can't seem to make Yoshitsune. I can't get the Tower Persona needed for his fusion. Actually, I can't seem to get any Tower Persona. I've got like two.

Tower Persona come only from Triangular Fusions.

I just used this to get what I needed..

http://persona4.wikidot.com/fusion

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Tower Persona come only from Triangular Fusions.

I just used this to get what I needed..

http://persona4.wikidot.com/fusion

!!!

SOMETHING LIKE THIS EXISTS? Wow, didn't know.

Thanks!

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you don't mind me putting forward a different question, I'm curious. How did most of you get interested/get introduced to the SMT series? Did a friend suggest it? Reviews? Forums like these?

I got interested about 5 years ago. I had purchased a PS2 for the first time a few months earlier and was bumming around in a Gamestop looking for RPGs. The clerk there started listing off games (I thank him for Dark Cloud 2 too, to this day the clerks in that Gamestop are amazingly knowledgeable and helpful), and lo and behold, this game called "Nocturne"

Yeah, talk about trial by fire. I started playing it. The story was nuts, and I was confused, then I started fighting battles and died. And died. And died more. And damn did I ever love that. Difficulty in an RPG again! And dark humor! And other awesome things! Went and got DDS a bit later and the rest is history...

Which is why I know and understand that each and every one of us in this thread are masochists :P

Amusing side note...after learning more about the games, I realized that years earlier I played on the GBA the Demikids game...and I recall going "wtf is this crap".

Syphyre on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I started with the first Persona game. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and spent countless hours trying to get Chris & unlock alternate paths (only later finding out that the big alternate path in the game had been taken out in the US version). Persona 1 was followed by Persona 2, Soul Hackers (imported on my Saturn), and all the PS2 SMT titles we got here.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Persona 3 thread and socialization element convinced me to start.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I randomly impulse bought Persona 3 because it had a shiny cover and I remembered seeing a thread about it on these forums. I literally knew nothing about the game other than the fact that it was a long JRPG, and since I was looking for a time sink and it was a payday I figured why not take a risk on the crazy looking Japanese thing?

I was hooked 3 seconds into the pre-title screen intro. The game just oozed style, and once I started actually playing it I fell in love with the gameplay, story, characters, just about everything really. 2 years later I've tracked down and played every SMT game released stateside and a few that never made it over here. I've easily spent $400+ on this series and don't regret a dime.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My first taste was also Nocturne. I rented it in high school a couple of times. I died a lot, but it was so much fun.

Matador made me his little bitch.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I started with SMT1, the fan translation just dropped and I decided that it looked pretty cool.

Sadly, the translation is still stupidly buggy

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucifer's Call, having seen these forums rave about it.
    Never looked back.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The first Persona. And then basically every single one that came out since even the really crappy GBC one.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Persona 1, took notice in the early PS1 days. Students with guns? Modern-day? In an RPG? Even then I knew it was something special.

I don't think I got P2 when it came out. I eventually realized it existed after the fact, then tracked it down. I was well into SMT's lore by the time Nocturne came around, and I absolutely had to have it. Bought it on day 1.

DemiKids Dark & Light helped tide me over until then.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    DDS, actually. Never regretted it.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cause for positive thinking?

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/17/persona-3-portable-director-hints-at-new-persona-team-projects/
    In the latest Persona 3 Portable creator’s blog, Katsura Hashino discusses what happened to the Persona team after Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

Hashino explains the team was split into to two. One group developed Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable, which available in Japan now. The other group is “nearing completion of an original work.” Both groups are merging together, gradually, to work on a full blown project.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My stepbrother picked up the first Persona way back when I was still a kid. I got to mess around with it a little bit and thought it was pretty neat.

When Persona 3 came out, a gaming buddy was having a lot of fun with it and suddenly actually having a decent amount of money motivated me to finally pick up a PS2. It's been downhill since then.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    My first SMT game was Nocturne, and I've played every release since with the exception of Devil Survivor.

Going though my soundtracks again, and I forgot how much I loved this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtXtEJP-l8

A duck! on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My first SMT game was Persona 3 FES I picked it up two weeks ago...

Okay I don't think I'm hooked on the series just yet but after getting my finals done and managing to get up to the first battle tutorials, I'm thinking it's a sure bet.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got into SMT when Schildkrote did a phenomenal Let's Play of Persona 3. I immediately purchased Persona 4 when it came out. And then P3FES. And Devil Summoner 2. And Devil Survivor.

Now I just mail my wallet to Atlus

YggiDee on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Way back in high school, a friend told me about a really difficult RPG that he had picked up, so I borrowed it. It was the original Persona. Played it for awhile before eventually picking up my own copy, and went from there. Played pretty much every Persona or Megaten game that came out in the US afterward.

Fun Fact: The original Persona was also what started me on picking up pretty much every Atlus game ever released in the US, because of this I now have many rare and also some truly horrible PSX games in my collection. Like Hoshigami. I spent money on Hoshigami for the PSX.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Way back in high school, a friend told me about a really difficult RPG that he had picked up, so I borrowed it. It was the original Persona. Played it for awhile before eventually picking up my own copy, and went from there. Played pretty much every Persona or Megaten game that came out in the US afterward.

Fun Fact: The original Persona was also what started me on picking up pretty much every Atlus game ever released in the US, because of this I now have many rare and also some truly horrible PSX games in my collection. Like Hoshigami. I spent money on Hoshigami for the PSX.

Wasn't that the Final Fantasy Tactics clone with really easy permadeath?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Wasn't that the Final Fantasy Tactics clone with really easy permadeath?

It was a pretty terribly unbalanced FFT clone where all the enemies were stronger than you, always scaled to stay higher level than you, and also I'm pretty certain the game blatently cheated at times.

Really it might have been a good game later on, but the only way to continue past like... chapter two or three was to fuse a million billion coins together to make the strongest spells possible and just ignore anyone that wasn't a mage. I just didn't have the patience.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The AGTP description of SMT 1 said it was awesome and everyone should play it.

It was most certainly not. SMT 2 was better though.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If Persona 3 psp has multiple endings (besides you know) I might be down. I'm guessing it doesn't?

Don't see any reason they would...except maybe to get people to buy it again ...if the girl aspect alone doesn't appeal to them.

Egos on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well that must mean you have awesome stuff like Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre along side the unique (and possibly horrible) stuff Atlus brought across the water. Not a bad trade off.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Didn't Atlus bring over Kartia: The Word of Fate? I liked that game.

Zephyr_Fate on
This discussion has been closed.