As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Decade is over! How was it

BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
...Wow, is it hard to believe that in just a few weeks, the 00's will be over. I know I'm not that great at starting threads, but I thought this is a good a time as any to start it. Here, we look back at what made this decade special.

I'll try to think of something else to put in this space, but for right now, this line is here.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
Bartholamue on

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Where's my flying car?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Worst decade of the century.

moniker on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kind of tripped ourselves up on the catwalk when we let some backwoods desert hicks play extreme Jenga with a certain skyline I was particularly fond of.

And it somehow went downhill from there.

But, hey, iPods! And Wi-fi! And DVRs! And BitTorrent! And some very good movies! Even some good Americanized remakes! And the Lord of the Rings trilogy! And Daft Punk's Discovery!

Fubear on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Eh. Could have been worse.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2009
    Obligatory "got another year to go."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    we get to start using twenty-## instead of two-thousand-##! the future is here!

Vesty on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    terrible beyond human vocabulary

Rust on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For once, I'm with Rust. Pretty shitty decade.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is anyone else freaked out that we are living in the godammed future? and that we're bored with it?

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    For once, I'm with Rust. Pretty shitty decade.

you and i have been posting in near-perfect sync all week

you are me and i am you

Rust on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's not technically over until 2011.

And it sucked so much cock.

This was the worst decade since the 40s.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

This was the worst decade since the 30s.

Agreed, with one minor change.

The 40s weren't so bad after we finished up that messy war business.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is anyone else freaked out that we are living in the godammed future? and that we're bored with it?

The problem is that we're only partially living in the future. There's no consumer space ships and moon shuttles and human-like AI.

Instead we got way better cell phones and computers and the internet.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope I get laid more next decade.

This... this has been a really dry decade.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Well, as long as you weren't between the East German border and Vladivostok. Kinda still sucked for those people.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

the future has not been nearly as futuristic as those hi-larious speculative looney tunes shorts led us to believe

also for every really fancy new technological development we seem to have acquired awareness of a potentially world-ruining catastrophe (which we caused [and won't fix])

and with the growth of telecommunications we have been opened up to a limitless and unending torrent of bad news from across the globe, constantly spilling into us day in and day out

Rust on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Rust wrote: »

the future has not been nearly as futuristic as those hi-larious speculative looney tunes shorts led us to believe

also for every really fancy new technological development we seem to have acquired awareness of a potentially world-ruining catastrophe (which we caused [and won't fix])

and with the growth of telecommunications we have been opened up to a limitless and unending torrent of bad news from across the globe, constantly spilling into us day in and day out

On the plus side: forums to bitch about it!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pretty much sucked a big fat one:

- My grandmother died
    - My parents got divorced
    - I struggled with depression for 5-6 years

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The problem is that we're only partially living in the future. There's no consumer space ships and moon shuttles and human-like AI.

Instead we got way better cell phones and computers and the internet.

in fairness the consumer spaceship to the moon is coming, supposedly anyway

in general this has been a crappy decade by almost every cultural and political measure

although now that I think about it, it has been a pretty good decade for sports, so that's something

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I hope I get laid more next decade.

This... this has been a really dry decade.

amen

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Technically, its still the only decade of the century, so it's also the best one.

Not so technically, it still sucked so massively that I actually have to debate if it's worse than the 1930s, which was previously my go-to shitty decade.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Look, I don't know. World War II did kill 73 million people. That's enough shittiness to spread over the final 5 years.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

Technically, its still the only decade of the century, so it's also the best one.

Not so technically, it still sucked so massively that I actually have to debate if it's worse than the 1930s, which was previously my go-to shitty decade.

Between the Depression, the rise of Hitler, the rape of China, and the invasion of Poland, I'm going to say the 30s has it beat.

And probably the 40s as well.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    it takes a lot for one decade of the 20th century to be worse than the decade that came before it, just based on how quickly technology advanced.

The 40s and 30s have a decent shot at being worse than the 20s, but that's about it

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This year alone has seen a major decline of celebrities. I'd hate to be famous right about now.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    it takes a lot for one decade of the 20th century to be worse than the decade that came before it, just based on how quickly technology advanced.

The 40s and 30s have a decent shot at being worse than the 20s, but that's about it

1910s were worse than the 1900s (War, influenza outbreak, etc) as well. And this last decade was worse than the 90s.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

1910s were worse than the 1900s (War, influenza outbreak, etc) as well. And this last decade was worse than the 90s.

I suppose it sort of depends on how you measure the goodness of a decade. I don't necessarily think that this decade was that much worse than the 90s, if at all.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This decade was worse then the 90s(obviously), the 80s, the 70s and the 60s. It had more pointless war(not just the ones the US was involved in), it had worse economic progress and while tech advanced there was no moon landing or personal jet packs.

Plain fail in my opinion.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey, the 80s were pretty shit too (except '89 for pretty obvious reasons) and caused the 00s kind of directly, philosophy wise.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Capcom promised robots by now. I am thoroughly disappointed by this decade.

Thesmileyemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    at this point we could certainly do with a nice, brisk robot apocalypse

Rust on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tech advancement in the 00s was nothing to sneeze at. Look at your average cell phone in 1999 vs 2009. We basically have little hitchhiker's guides now.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tech advancement in the 00s was nothing to sneeze at. Look at your average cell phone in 1999 vs 2009. We basically have little hitchhiker's guides now.

I don't think that's quite worth global financial catastrophe and you know, rise in worldwide terrorism, and one exceptionally pointless war with a second increasingly pointless war. Neat toys isn't quite worth it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey, the 80s were pretty shit too (except '89 for pretty obvious reasons) and caused the 00s kind of directly, philosophy wise.

Hey! In the 80s they showed music videos on MTV. Reality television meant documentaries, not the bachelor/bachelorete. (Seriously, did any of those people marry the one they picked?)

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Hey! In the 80s they showed music videos on MTV. Reality television meant documentaries, not the bachelor/bachelorete. (Seriously, did any of those people marry the one they picked?)

Reagan. I win.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    the global financial catastrophe, so far, has been severely overrated. if it's going to kill us it's going to do it next decade, not this one.

won't defend the wars but as bad wars go, they haven't been all that bad.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I don't think that's quite worth global financial catastrophe and you know, rise in worldwide terrorism, and one exceptionally pointless war with a second increasingly pointless war. Neat toys isn't quite worth it.
    Well, how about the construction of the LHC, or the discovery of so many extrasolar planets? Science has moved very quickly this decade.

I wouldn't try to balance warfare/global politics against nifty consumer technology. Of course the decade will seem shitty if you look at things that way.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Not around here it hasn't been. It's been shit, the response is shit, Bernanke is about get re-appointed on a "fuck the unemployed, we have to fight inflation that doesn't exist and kill social security!" platform, so I'm not expecting things to get much better anytime soon.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Well, how about the construction of the LHC, or the discovery of so many extrasolar planets? Science has moved very quickly this decade.

I wouldn't try to balance warfare/global politics against nifty consumer technology. Of course the decade will seem shitty if you look at things that way.

When they get the LHC running and my cousin has a job there again, I'll consider it. But they only have two weeks! Get cracking!

And the discovery of things that were obvious to exist is neat, but until we can get to say, the Moon again, not a huge deal compared to the general craptasticness of the last decade.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For me, it was a good time.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto