As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Decade is over! How was it

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Hey, the 80s were pretty shit too (except '89 for pretty obvious reasons) and caused the 00s kind of directly, philosophy wise.

Hey! In the 80s they showed music videos on MTV. Reality television meant documentaries, not the bachelor/bachelorete. (Seriously, did any of those people marry the one they picked?)

Reagan. I win.

The 00s had Zombie Messiah Reagan. Wwherein he became the "perfect" republican president of all time. The Original 80s Reagan was never as insane as the Zombie Messiah Reagan conjured up by the hardcore right.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey, the 80s were pretty shit too (except '89 for pretty obvious reasons) and caused the 00s kind of directly, philosophy wise.

Hey! In the 80s they showed music videos on MTV. Reality television meant documentaries, not the bachelor/bachelorete. (Seriously, did any of those people marry the one they picked?)

Reagan. I win.

The 00s had Zombie Messiah Reagan. Wwherein he became the "perfect" republican president of all time. The Original 80s Reagan was never as insane as the Zombie Messiah Reagan conjured up by the hardcore right.

I said they were pretty shit, too. Not worse than the 00s. At least Reagan executed his pointless wars well.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This decade killed Hunter S. Thompson.

Drake on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure the 60s-90s had something to do with that.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Drake wrote: »

more like it just finished the job of the last three decades

though thompson is one of the few big-name deaths i got genuinely broken up about

Rust on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

more like it just finished the job of the last three decades

though thompson is one of the few big-name deaths i got genuinely broken up about

You didn't get broken up when Reagan died?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good things happened to me this decade, but nationally and globally? :v::v:

Delzhand on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »

Yeah, my son was born a few years ago. That's why I can't really bring myself to shit all over it. Things have definitely looked better, though. It's been a pretty scary ride in a lot of ways.

Drake on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    some say you don't appreciate the good without the bad.

so in a sense, this decade is going to help us appreciate the good decades even more.

because it will make good decades better, you could almost say that this is the best decade for us. by being the worst.

yes. yes.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »

Pretty much this.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Overall, this decade sucked for me. I graduated college (so I got into the real world, and that sucks all around). Got 2 ruptured discs, got screwed over by Oklahoma worker's comp, had several problems with my house, etc. And we spent 8 years under a president that I objected to rather strenuously.

There were some okay things, though. I have an okay job, even if it is fucking night shift. No one important to me died. A self imposed regiment of diet and exercise (neither too onerous) have minimized my back pain, and I got a nifty touch screen phone.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What, worse then the cold war? The only decade you could possibly say was better is the 1990s, and even that's a reach.

Leitner on
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ITT: a bunch of spoiled Western society middle class guys being all emo about how things suck.

Fact is, for a majority of the world's population, things have never been as good as it is now. Unless you live in Afghanistan, southern Sudan or in a handful of other places of course, but do you?

In general, if you are able to bitch about stuff on an Internet forum, you really don't have anything to bitch about.

Grudge on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh okay we have the internet there's nothing wrong in the world, good to know you ignorant fuckwit

L|ama on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Grudge wrote: »
    ITT: a bunch of spoiled Western society middle class guys being all emo about how things suck.

Fact is, for a majority of the world's population, things have never been as good as it is now. Unless you live in Afghanistan, southern Sudan or in a handful of other places of course, but do you?

In general, if you are able to bitch about stuff on an Internet forum, you really don't have anything to bitch about.

I thought it was about time white guilt showed up!

Ooh, look at meeeieee. I have more perspective. Eat your vegetables, people around the world are going hungry. Aww, stuck without a job? Why don't you cwy to mommy about your free shelter and clean water, which most of the world doesn't have.

For just pennies a day, you can help a child in need. Hundreds of children around the world...

Oh, I'm sorry, I tuned out there for a minute.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I thought it was about time white guilt showed up!

Ooh, look at meeeieee. I have more perspective. Eat your vegetables, people around the world are going hungry. Aww, stuck without a job? Why don't you cwy to mommy about your free shelter and clean water, which most of the world doesn't have.

For just pennies a day, you can help a child in need. Hundreds of children around the world...

Oh, I'm sorry, I tuned out there for a minute.

Wow you both are stupid.

God, can people not go to the absolute extremes of an issue for just one second?

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was joking. I think it's great that improved farming techniques and technology have been penetrating the third world and making millions of lives better.

I just cannot stand it at all when someone comes into a friendly conversation and feels the need to assert some kind of moral superiority and call everyone "spoiled" just because they're only talking about the aspects of the world that they see day to day.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Not too rewarding for me, extremely patchy for the rest of the world.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was joking. I think it's great that improved farming techniques and technology have been penetrating the third world and making millions of lives better.

I just cannot stand it at all when someone comes into a friendly conversation and feels the need to assert some kind of moral superiority and call everyone "spoiled" just because they're only talking about the aspects of the world that they see day to day.

I was trying to add some perspective to the horribly stupid discussion about how the "00's is the worst decade since the 30's/40's". That's just plain dumb.

Grudge on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For me I like that unlike last decade I didn't get actively beaten up by my peers this decade so that's cool.

For the world... yeah pointless wars, but at least they're being publicized and criticized now as opposed to before thanks to internet penetration. Besides we had pointless wars last decade too. See: Gulf War.

Thumbs up to America for electing a black president who is also a pretty awesome dude in general. This goes a long way towards cancelling out some of your arrogant fuckery over the past century or so, from your continent of solitude where you don't have other equally powerful nations right at your border.

Australia hasn't changed in the last decade because we've honestly just been legless for the vast majority of it. Man, the missus is gonna be fucking pissed when we get home.

theSquid on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I was trying to add some perspective to the horribly stupid discussion about how the "00's is the worst decade since the 30's/40's". That's just plain dumb.

It's just as dumb to play the 'starving kids in africa' card as a way of sounding morally superior. The basic premise of your initial post is just "you have it so good you don't even get to talk about your problems!"

to which everyone should rightly say, fuck the fuck off

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Worst decade of the century.

HAHAHAHAHAH

Moniker you are a treasure

This decade, I discovered masturbating

Therefore, this decade is the best decade of all time

Rent on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rent wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAH

I'd say high five but...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This decade was complete trash for me. I still don't have a job (been looking all decade), and just now got a car.

But I also finished college, got a car, and started working toward a better 2010 and beyond starting around the midpoint of this decade.

MKR on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TIME called it right.

1101091207_400.jpg

I really wish Bush remembered to turn the End of the World off.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited December 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAH

I'd say high five but...

Too late! *squelch*

Rent on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

I'm so glad you beat me to this. Actual demographic metrics show pretty dramatic quality-of-life improvements globally.

course, it'll all go to shit once climate chance kicks in properly...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

No, you're all pretty fucking spoiled. Most of you have jobs and college education and time to sit around whining about how your lives are empty of anything but beer, twinkies and games. Plenty of things could have worked out better this decade, but seriously. Get some perspective.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I still say that the 30s/40s still hold the record in general shittiness. I mean fuck, the Great Depression and WWII are pretty hard to top.

I still think however that 00s are bad because we seem to have lost our optimism for the future. 90s,80s,60s and 50s had that "we are moving onwards and upwards" vibe in society. the 70s not so much, but not to the degree we see today.

The thing to me is that today we are advancing technologicaly, but stagnating as a society. Most people economicaly are worse of in 2010, then they where in 2000 and there is little help to be had. Thats why Obama won in 2008, he offered people hope.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited December 2009
    The Cat wrote: »

No, you're all pretty fucking spoiled. Most of you have jobs and college education and time to sit around whining about how your lives are empty of anything but beer, twinkies and games. Plenty of things could have worked out better this decade, but seriously. Get some perspective.

I agree with you-overall this decade has been a pretty good one despite all the stupid bullshit (Web 2.0! Millennials extremely liberal/politically active! Medical and scientific breakthroughs! Black president!), but I think you're being pretty overly dismissive of people with real issues, worries and problems

Just because they're not as bad off as, say, someone living in Zimbabwe doesn't mean that their problems are meaningless

That's akin to seeing someone stabbed on the street, moaning in pain, and going "Stop whining, I bet all you do is sit around all day with your beer, twinkies, and games. People get killed every day in other places, why is your getting stabbed worth any special merit?"

Rent on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

While I agree, something needs to be said in defense of those who, while capable of climbing the first two stratas of the Maslow pyramid (and barely) are locked at that stage. The thing is that the first two levels aren't that difficult to climb, even if you don't live in the G20 countries. There are many people unconstrained materially but horribly bereft in terms of internal logistics and the multitude of internal/external factors necessary to pursue happiness.

Many are spoiled, but if one where to find himself devoid of anything but food, drink, occupation and games while constrained in his capacity to gain anything else, I would not be so quick to judge. One can appreciate the material well-being one has, while still feeling effectively trapped in other aspects.

Spoilered for hueg.
    800px-maslows_hierarchy_of_needssvg.png

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Second Congo War anyone? And its spin-offs, the Ituri and Kivu conflicts. But then on the other hand the more peaceful parts of Africa have seen improvements in various indexes, though a long way off the millenium development goals.

Ebz123 on
    edited December 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »

While I agree, something needs to be said in defense of those who, while capable of climbing the first two stratas of the Maslow pyramid (and barely) are locked at that stage. The thing is that the first two levels aren't that difficult to climb, even if you don't live in the G20 countries. There are many people unconstrained materially but horribly bereft in terms of internal logistics and the multitude of internal/external factors necessary to pursue happiness.

Many are spoiled, but if one where to find himself devoid of anything but food, drink, occupation and games while constrained in his capacity to gain anything else, I would not be so quick to judge. One can appreciate the material well-being one has, while still feeling effectively trapped in other aspects.

Spoilered for hueg.
    800px-maslows_hierarchy_of_needssvg.png

I can't believe these words are leaving my mouth but I agree with you

I...I need to go lay down now

Rent on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One can say that broccoli is not their preferred side dish while recognizing the plight of those who have no broccoli without it being a conflict.

MKR on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rough fucking decade.

Speaker on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    not as good as the 90's, but then again what decade is?

MindLib on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know if I can say this decade was worse than the '70s.

Speaker on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This decade has been decent for me, but a lot of that has to do with my life being pretty craptastic.

I've never had major financial worries, but my dealings with other human beings have been shit since like day 1.

I'm still not getting to enjoy the important things in life as much as the average dude who has to kill shit with a spear.

Mostly this decade has made me hate religion and a fucking lot of religious people even more. Also greedy people.

It's sort of hard to enjoy the top tier when you don't have the middle. Which is, like, the best part.

Incenjucar on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is the first real decade of decline for America, if the leadership of this country had set out to destroy the United States as a superpower in the long term, they couldn't have done a better job.

So if you're American you get to bitch about last decade, that doesn't take anything away from people who had it worse.

override367 on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For me, this decade didn't start out very promising. My mental problems were getting worse and worse until suicide and getting committed both seemed like equally valid options.

Eventually, my problems were finally diagnosed and steps were taken to make my situation better. Unfortunately, one of these steps was dropping out of High School.

So while the first half of the decade was pretty shitty for me, it did lay the groundwork for where I am today, which is generally pretty happy and capable of avoiding or having effective help with any situation that might trigger my problems. For the first time since I can remember Tomorrow doesn't seem so big, black and threatening to me any more.

On the whole, then, I consider this decade a personal win.

On a more global scale... well, I'll leave that to everybody else.

WotanAnubis on