As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Week In Comics (4-4-07)

2»

• Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Ugggh.

Runaways:
    The last page on Runaways would've been so much better if it was just the Punisher and not that dumb junk winged, big sword wielding weeaboo shit.

Who the hell is that guy, anyhow?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh no.

*huff*

*pant*

(I'm still laughing)

Green on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also what was with all the variants this week. Buffy, Initiative, JLA, and Fallen Son all had variants.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Does anyone even care about variants any more? The only time I feel bad about not getting a variant is when the "standard edition" art sucks (like the JLA covers).

People collecting comics like the death of Captain America and expecting to make money on it in this lifetime are in for a surprise.

DMAC on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I liked how Nightwing mentioned Bat-girl in 52 this week.

And does anyone know how the fuck Detective and Batman hook up anymore? You have Harley being nice in one thing, then offing criminals in the other, Joker going even more batshit insane and recovering at the same time.

Bloods End on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    You can probably turn around and sell hard to find comics for a decent profit right after they come out. Stuff like Marvel Zombies, that's harder to find.

And stuff that kind of surprises people, like Ultimate Spidey #1 will probably stay up in price, but not at anything really significant.

DJ Eebs on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey dudes, what about Madman?

Madman.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fuck, I forgot about Fall of Cthulhu

Gonna have to make another trip now

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Immortal Iron Fist- I can't get enough of this book. I love how pencilling duties are spread out between artists with radically different styles depending on the time period or characters featured, the writing is sharp as hell, balancing out some quippy, light stuff with some very serious, dramatic stuff (with some cool action scenes sprinkled throughout), the pacing's great, already having set up two heroes, a villain, and an upcoming conflict in just four issues, and the regular series artist David Aja continues to wow me. This issue primarily delved into the pasts of both Orson Randall, the Iron Fist before Danny, and Davos, the main protagonist, fleshing out both characters' motivations nicely. A

Runaways- Initially I was concerned about where this title would be going under Whedon's direction, but my fears have been laid to rest. Whedon's managed to perfectly capture the characters' voices that Vaughan developed so well. Michael Ryan's also a pretty excellent match for the book, as he seems very capable when it comes to drawing fashion, teens, and facial expressions. This issue was mostly setup, but it was good setup. My only concern is that the main characters' interactions with a rather unsavory character, which seems like it'll be the basis for much of this arc, seems a little out of character. B+

The Irredeemable Ant-Man- Robert Kirkman's likeable jerk protagonist continues to do jerk things, like sneaking in on Ms. Marvel in the shower with plans to take and sell pictures of her should she ever "make it big". There's still a lot of development here, as the book's finally caught up to the present, so it doesn't keep ping-ponging back and forth from past to present. This entire issue basically shows where Ant-Man was at during the Mighty Avengers' fight with Mole Man. Hint: Punching old men in the crotch and stealing bags of gold. Cory Walker's also on as a guest penciller, which is a treat. He's got the kind of fun, bouncy style that makes this title work. A+

Justice League of America- If you enjoy gimmick covers that look crappy unless put side by side, a shitload of exposition, worthless fold out pages that confuse the reader, and characters becoming pale imitations of other heroes, this book is for you! Seriously, I gave Meltzer eight issues to do something, and was genuinely optimistic after the last one, but I don't care anymore. Ed Benes continues to deliver some pretty good art (a mix between Jim Lee and Michael Turner) but it's not nearly enough to keep me reading. D-

Munch on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

God it was depressing, especially considering usual expectations for a Slott book.

Are any comics making the SHRA look good?

New Avengers makes the SHRA plot device work, in that their actions will seem that much more heroic with the fucking odds they're up against.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not getting everyone's hate on Initiative. I liked it for a starter and a couple of the new characters have potential.

smokmnky on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My comic shop was sold out of Iron Fist when I got there. Alas. Picked up Fallen Son: Wolvie, though.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I'm not getting everyone's hate on Initiative. I liked it for a starter and a couple of the new characters have potential.

It's Weapon-X-esque. And quite honestly characters wearing shades and suits being dicks has run its course.

"NOTHING HAS HAPPENED HERE!"

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I guess since I'm fairly new to this whole thing it doesn't feel like such a large "re-tread" to me. I'm liking it though.

smokmnky on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

It's Weapon-X-esque. And quite honestly characters wearing shades and suits being dicks has run its course.

I wouldn't put it past Slott to develop an extensive psychological profile on those people, namely what motivates so many of them to wear sunglasses when inside and obscured in the corner of the room with the worst visibility, even among colleagues.

And it's kind of a given that Gyrich would be involved.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gyrich is a goddamn dick. Deal with it.

It's refreshing to see him hating on non-mutants.

DarkPrimus on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Argh, Justice League kind of let me down. I liked the first 6 issues, because even amidst the complaints of "nothing's happening lol," there was all of that stuff with Red Tornado, which I found interesting in all of its emo glory. But, uh, literally nothing happened this issue.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gyrich is a goddamn dick. Deal with it.

It's refreshing to see him hating on non-mutants.

Wasn't he a dick to the Avengers back in those comics too? I never read them.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Omega Flight was pretty good. What might make it suffer is that it was written as the start to an ongoing series, so it may be a bit slower then it otherwise would have been. Apparently Oeming has re-written the other issues to account for the Mini format, but for whatever reason #1 was not rewritten.

There are some very nice and subtle homages to Alpha Flight, and even Alpha Flight #1 in the issue. I thought Oeming did a pretty good job of portraying Canadians and some of the attitudes we have towards America.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If there's even a hint of "American Bashing" the comic won't survive. Plus Colbert does it better ;)

Simply being Canadian doesn't make me wanna pick this up, maybe if there was a worth while superhero presance in Canada that didn't feel tacked on or 3rd rate I might bite. But since even most of the States are stuck with crappy superhero teams I won't hold my breath.

If it ain't NY or LA no one cool seems to care :(

Thor should make Asgard in Alberta!

Caveman Paws on
    edited April 2007
    You'd think Toronto would be a pretty good hot spot for Canadian superheroes

But no

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Well, it looks like #2 is partially set in Toronto from the solicit:
    As super-villains flood the Canadian border, Omega Flight begins to cement its team of heroes. A new character is added to the ranks as U.S. Agent saves Toronto from the powerful and beautiful (well, powerful anyway…) Daisy!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Corvus on
    edited April 2007
    Toronto is the one city no Canadian (who's not actually from T.O) would want saved!

Caveman Paws on
    edited April 2007
    Are you kidding me?

Would anyone really want Montreal to stick around?

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Are you kidding me?

Strip Clubs?

Corvus on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are you kidding me?

Canadiens > Maple Leafs?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2007
    Ringo wrote: »
    Are you kidding me?

Canadiens > Maple Leafs?

Not last night, sadly.*

*Leafs eliminated the Habs from the playoff race last night.

Corvus on
    edited April 2007
    It's the Canucks cup this year. I've been saying that for at least 13 years now....

Caveman Paws on
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

And you'd think if Tony Stark, super-fucking genius (who is best-buds with Reed Richards, super-fucking genius), was willing to beat the shit out of his best friends to get the Initiative put in place...

...don't you think they'd set it up in such a way that kids don't get their heads liquified in the first damn week or so?

Bob The Monkey on
    edited April 2007
    You can't make an Initiative without...um, liquifying some kids heads? Or something. *shrug* Perhaps trusting men who make Einstein look a little slow on the uptake to be perfect is asking too much? Me thinks this is so.

Caveman Paws on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You can't make an Initiative without...um, liquifying some kids heads? Or something. *shrug* Perhaps trusting men who make Einstein look a little slow on the uptake to be perfect is asking too much? Me thinks this is so.

It's too much to ask to have people designing the training room to go "Hey, maybe we shouldn't leave all the kids not currently training out in the middle of the room where their heads can be liquefied!"?

I mean, god, if you want them to watch but not take part at least put up a barrier or some shit.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And again, they already knew how Emo boy's power worked... there is no excuse for not warning Armory about what she should be prepared for. I know if that happened to me, I'd be going trigger-happy nuts as well.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited April 2007
    I'm late, but I got around to reading Avengers: Initiative, and... Cloud 9 aside, I'm not feeling any of the characters

Omega Flight was great though, I'm gonna keep reading it

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    And again, they already knew how Emo boy's power worked... there is no excuse for not warning Armory about what she should be prepared for. I know if that happened to me, I'd be going trigger-happy nuts as well.

Seriously, that was so fucking dumb and pointless

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg