As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Decade is over! How was it

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's funny, I was an happy person 10 years ago, today the situation just seems bleaker by the moment. I'm supporting my mom instead of her supporting me because she lost her job and they successfully have been cockblocking her unemployment for almost 5 months now, and still no one's hired her.

I'm getting a degree but what's the point? Some combination of global warming, peak oil, nuclear war, running out of water, etc, will pretty much turn the first world into the third world within the next five to ten years and the third world into a graveyard.

So yea not a very happy end to a decade.

override367 on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Not a terrible decade for me. College did not go well, but I got a job and a roof over my head. I have options, so I can't complain. Maybe next decade.

America? Ho ho hoooooo. We have some awesome leadership when the obvious bad thing (9/11) is not the worst. Two wars, economic woe and the fundamentalists were given eight years to fester when they should have been stamped out. Not even 10% of the country has legal gay marriage. Maybe I can look back and say Obama was the turning point, but it's too early.

I remain optimistic, but I hope the rest of you guys didn't have a shitty decade like us.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Grudge wrote: »
    ITT: a bunch of spoiled Western society middle class guys being all emo about how things suck.

Fact is, for a majority of the world's population, things have never been as good as it is now. Unless you live in Afghanistan, southern Sudan or in a handful of other places of course, but do you?

In general, if you are able to bitch about stuff on an Internet forum, you really don't have anything to bitch about.

I'm so glad you beat me to this. Actual demographic metrics show pretty dramatic quality-of-life improvements globally.

course, it'll all go to shit once climate chance kicks in properly...

Right, we went backwards (or stagnated, which is the same thing with a time pressing issue) on the major global issue which is going to fuck the poor countries who generally did have quality of life improvements this decade. While the West had quality of life declines. I suppose on the other hand, pretty bitching decade for China and India. Indonesia too, except that whole climate change and them being a nation of islands thing.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well there are a lot of different metrics to consider but overall this has been a kickass decade.

Personally I went from a directionless, failed Comp Sci Major living in his mom's basement playing Silent Death Online, to a still directionless poli sci major living at the fraternity house playing the vice city and madden, to a pretty successful data nerd with his own apartment in the best city in teh world playing dead rising.

Technologically, holy fuck. Skype, facebook, bluetooth everything flatscreen high def monitors/TVs, iPods, blackberries... Christ. I am connected to the internet every waking second of the day anywhere I go. WIKIFUCKINGPEDIA. We can literally find a basic summary on any topic in less than 30 seconds and get in touch with everyone we know in less time.

Globally thinks are looking awesome for China and India. Millions have been raised out of crushing poverty because the first world can't be bothered to do their own tech support or manufacture much of anything any more and the human rights abuses, while fucking horrible, are pretty much par for developing industrial nations.

Nationally, America may be pretty much fucked, but there's still hope and even if we do get knocked down a few pegs, we'll still be in decent shape overall and it's been a pretty good run.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think this was pretty bad.
    2004_Indonesia_Tsunami_Complete.gif

D:

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    TIME called it right.

1101091207_400.jpg

I really wish Bush remembered to turn the End of the World off.

That kid is looking at his dead mom in a bathtub

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I entered the decade age 10.
    I emerge from it 21.
    Should be a good fucking 2010s.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had a great decade. Went from being a college dropout who'd never had a real girlfriend to getting married, owning a house and working a job I like.

Suck it, haters.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had a great decade. Went from being a college dropout who'd never had a real girlfriend to getting married, owning a house and working a job I like.

Suck it, haters.

Was it worth screwing over the world?
    That's right matthasaproblem, you caused global warming.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On a personal level, I went from living in a shitty apartment with my awesome girlfriend and having a job I hated, to living in an awesome apartment with my awesome wife and being unemployed with no job prospects and alternating between trying to use this opportunity to reinvent myself and wallowing in bleak nihilistic despair.

Man, way to make me feel like a loser, thread.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    On a personal level, I went from living in a shitty apartment with my awesome girlfriend and having a job I hated, to living in an awesome apartment with my awesome wife and being unemployed with no job prospects and alternating between trying to use this opportunity to reinvent myself and wallowing in bleak nihilistic despair.

Man, way to make me feel like a loser, thread.
    I'm in a shitty apartment with a job I hate and I don't even have a girlfriend, much less an awesome one.

Feel better?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    boy that internet sure took off huh?

and cell phones.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The decade was excessively good for me. Like, incredibly good by nearly all counts.

I don't know that it was so great for everyone else, but in every way that I am personally effected things just got better and better.

Winky on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Every decade we've ever had has been progressively better than the last one. Basically what I'm saying is that this was literally the best decade ever, and people need to stop bitching about how the world is doomed because it's not.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Every decade we've ever had has been progressively better than the last one. Basically what I'm saying is that this was literally the best decade ever, and people need to stop bitching about how the world is doomed because it's not.
    I think trying to sum up a whole decade for the entire world is really stupid. Shit, I can't even tell if the past decade was good or bad for me. But thinking things just always get better is just as foolish.

On the plus side, I can describe these years as the aughts when I get old.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Technological advancement in the aughts was probably the most significant in the history of decades. Our lives are substantially different (and better) from a tech perspective than they were a decade ago. Landlines. Book encyclopedias. Social networks basically didn't exist. Hell, the internet didn't really exist. It is hard to overstate how dramatic the developments have been technologically.

For the US, the economic situation hasn't been great. We saw an increase in the rich-poor gap, leveraged a lot of economic weakness until we had a catastrophe, which we are trying to dig our way through now.

Politically it has been a pretty sour decade. Bush broke a lot of shit, and even though I think that Obama is a good, capable man and doing his even best, there is a lot of shit to work through. Still, I think that politically we are vectoring in the right direction.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think Time is enormously wrong about the next decade getting better, it might for the US relative to everyone else as we no longer have Yosemite Sam in charge, but we're in for some rough, rough times. I don't envy children born this decade.

override367 on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's funny, I was an happy person 10 years ago, today the situation just seems bleaker by the moment. I'm supporting my mom instead of her supporting me because she lost her job and they successfully have been cockblocking her unemployment for almost 5 months now, and still no one's hired her.

I'm getting a degree but what's the point? Some combination of global warming, peak oil, nuclear war, running out of water, etc, will pretty much turn the first world into the third world within the next five to ten years and the third world into a graveyard.

So yea not a very happy end to a decade.

Oh shit, are you me? Am I you? Did the horror of looking after someone who once looked after me finally break my mind in two?

The decade has been the best ever for me musically and technologically, but either neutral or abysmal in any meaningful sense. Still single, still living at home, now I'm waking up, going to work, coming home, having all of 3 hours of 'fun' and then sleeping rinse-repeat every weekday...

God fucking dammit i'm this close! to leaving just to mix things up a bit. I would have but...she's my mum...

Shit decade. Shitty shitty decade. Or at least, the last 2 years.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Besides Recession 2.0 on our hands and stupid wars and extremist becoming popular in the US, along with all the other worlds problems-

2007 my uncle, grandma and 3 of my friends died in horrible car accidents, the worst the poor girl got torn in half and would have either been a vegetable if they'd tried to save her. All this happened in the course of 4 months, around Christmas no less. So yeah, not a fan of The 00s.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I understand your sentiment, but again I'm trying and failing to find a way to describe the 1930s progressively better than the 1920s.

Unless you ignore pretty much everything other than scientific advancements and perhaps popular culture.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I understand your sentiment, but again I'm trying and failing to find a way to describe the 1930s progressively better than the 1920s.

Unless you ignore pretty much everything other than scientific advancements and perhaps popular culture.

No more Spanish Flu?

moniker on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    moniker wrote: »

No more Spanish Flu?

Well, the craziness of the 20s kinda caused the shittiness of the 30s. So calling the 30s shitty is like calling out a puke-riddled sofa but ignoring the flip-cup championship that preceded it.

Atomika on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if back to the future II has taught me anything, it's that SHIT BETTER START HOVERING. just about 5 years to go!

retrovm on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    retrovm wrote: »
    if back to the future II has taught me anything, it's that SHIT BETTER START HOVERING. just about 5 years to go!

I always thought hover-cars were a bad idea. What if it stops working mid-flight? There's no airbag good enough to reduce the impact of a 1000-ft fall.

Atomika on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I think that the worst part about flying cars is the consequences of a traffic accident along three axes.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think that the worst part about flying cars is the consequences of a traffic accident along three axes.

Hell, when even one axe is involved...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    that is exactly why there aren't vikings any more.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is the first real decade of decline for America, if the leadership of this country had set out to destroy the United States as a superpower in the long term, they couldn't have done a better job.

So if you're American you get to bitch about last decade, that doesn't take anything away from people who had it worse.

Well, we haven't launched a nuke at anybody.

That counts for something, right?

Fubear on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

The vikings pussied out. Both in the sense that they decided they couldn't keep up and gave up, and in the sense that there simply was no more pussy to get in the world.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Vikings were smart - they had a plan, they stuck to it, they got out while ahead.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »

The vikings pussied out. Both in the sense that they decided they couldn't keep up and gave up, and in the sense that there simply was no more pussy to get in the world.

Did they just forget the other six continents? I'm pretty sure in the 1200s, there was pussy galore in the world.

They just didn't look hard enough.

EDIT
    Hehe. Get it? Hard.

Fubear on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fubear wrote: »

Did they just forget the other six continents? I'm pretty sure in the 1200s, there was pussy galore in the world.

EDIT
    Hehe. Get it? Hard.

Genghis Khan already got that, and they didn't want sloppy seconds.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

EDIT
    Hehe. Get it? Hard.

moesgaard-20040724-p1010008.jpg

"Look, dude? Just look. We went to Europe, we went to Blåland (Africa), we went to Greenland, Iceland, Shetland, Newfoundland, Ireland, Constantinopleland, Americaland and all other kinds of -lands and you ain't impressed? In the Middle Eastland there were like veils and shit and to the east there were Mongols. You don't fuck around with Mongols unless you've teched up to Artillery. I don't have to explain myself yo you anyway, because there is a high probability that I'm your fucking ancestor - go kill me a chicken and stuff it. Stuff it with mead, and serve it with a mead sauce. I want my mead in a horn and I want it fortified with mead."

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This decade fucking sucked, the end.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    This decade fucking sucked, the end.

I think your signature currently includes at least one album that serves to maybe justify the existence of this decade.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    At least it wasn't the 80s though, am I right?

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Berlin Wall fell in the 80s.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future
    The Safety Dance
    MJ's peak
    Predator
    etc

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future
    The Safety Dance
    MJ's peak
    Predator
    etc

Ghostbusters reference in Zombieland
    Back to the Future reference in Family Guy episode parodying The Empire Strikes Back
    Napoleon Dynamite dance
    MJ's merciful (for his career) death
    Predator star stars in this crazy sitcom where he becomes the governor of California
    etc

Fubear on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future
    The Safety Dance
    MJ's peak
    Predator
    etc

Ghostbusters reference in Zombieland
    Back to the Future reference in Family Guy episode parodying The Empire Strikes Back
    Napoleon Dynamite dance
    MJ's merciful (for his career) death
    Predator star stars in this crazy sitcom where he becomes the governor of California
    etc

All these things are inferior to the real product

Robman on