As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Get in without clicking on a vowel: The [Gimmick Run/Self-Challenge] thread

2»

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gilder wrote:
    Can you use that glitch beam to win, or do you not even have the items required to access it?

Glitch beam?
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    You need all the beams to do it I'm fairly certain, and it's not a matter of damaging her, her hyper beam does a set amount of damage (something like 390) requiring 3 tanks to survive the battle, period.

This is correct. It *should* have been coded to deal damage until you hit 49 health. Sadly, it wasn't.

Tamin on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    Gilder wrote:
    Can you use that glitch beam to win, or do you not even have the items required to access it?

Glitch beam?

Two of the beams (plasma and wave, I want to say) normally can't be equipped at the same time, if you do some shenanigans, you can manage it, but firing it causes the game to shit itself, leading to such things as the game deciding it's time for you to evacuate the exploding planet.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good old time beam (that's its official name btw,)as it lets you reset the game completely in a certain spot, you can have EH1 Missles/Super Missles/PowerBombs and 90+ etanks

SkutSkut on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aaaagh. FUCK Prototype's last boss. I don't even have the whippy-grab to snatch choppers and kill him with them.

yalborap on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Gilder wrote:

Glitch beam?

Two of the beams (plasma and wave, I want to say) normally can't be equipped at the same time, if you do some shenanigans, you can manage it, but firing it causes the game to shit itself, leading to such things as the game deciding it's time for you to evacuate the exploding planet.

Ah. This I never knew. Thanks!

Just realized I missed this:
    System Shock 2 - fairly sure I completed an OSA only run, including no wrench.

Something I've been pondering for a while, there's all these OSA only runs and shit, how feasible is a no-upgrades run? No spending cybermodules, no OS upgrades, etc. Labassistant implant gets you the toxin-A, can't think of anything else that required spending points aside from sanity.

I want to say that the LabAssistant only gives you an extra point if you already have one. I'm not sure.

Oh! Getting the Sympathetic Resonator requires hack, I'm pretty sure.

Might be a few similar things. It'd just be painful by the end, mainly.

Labassistant works if you have no points, there's several ICE picks by the time you need the resonator.

Coolness. I will start one and let you know how it goes. Any other restrictions? :)

Tamin on
  • Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've always wanted to do a complete stealth Splinter Cell run but I just don't have the patient.

Besides, throwing guys down elevator shafts is just too much fun

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Booya, my Prototype basic run is complete. Which means it's time for the supersoldier run! :D Anyone wanna join me?

The rules are as follows:
    -When you first consume the military chap at the beginning, you must enter disguise form.

-You must not ever LEAVE disguise form for the rest of the game, unless the game does it for you, in which case, immediately re-enter disguise form.

-Consumption of civilians is forbidden. You will get your Nice Guy achievement here if you haven't already, I assure you.

-All powers, upgrades, etc. that can be done in disguise form are allowed. This includes devastators, sensory powers, weapons, all of it. But you must remain a soldier, not Mercer.

Possible allowed 'cheats':

-The consumption of military personnel, and infected.

-Actions in the military bases 'not counting', as long as you look the same when you leave as you do when you walked in. This allows for acquiring the various upgrades(airstrike, weapons, etc.) held within.

-This is the big one: Use of offensive powers can be permitted while also in armored form. I'm not gonna lie to you, this'll help a LOT on bosses.

Since this is my first attempt at it, I'm going to allow myself all the 'cheats'. What about you fine folks?

yalborap on