As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop RPGs @ PAX

AneurysmAneurysm Registered User regular
edited September 2005 in PAX Archive
Help me out on this one.

I saw alot of people playing D&D in the tabletop room, but I fail to see how such games are organized so quigkly. I mean character creation alone can take hours of tweaking, and coming up`with back story. Not to mention DM's coming up$with maps and such.

So when }ou want to run a tabletop RPG at a con, how is it done?

And are there any Mage players on the forums? If so, how about some Mage tabletop for PAX '06?

Nintendogs 2, featuring wireless dog shit. Coming to a DS near you!
Aneurysm on

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    I dropped into one of the pick-up games for about 45 min. The DM had pre-rolled characters made for the correct level, so I took over a cleric whose previous player had left. Other players came later and the DM let them roll up new chars. (It doesn't take long if you don't sweat the story -- just choose a class/race, name, and a quirky personality trait, and you're set.)

There were a couple of impediments that stood out:

1. The constant turnover of players (including myself!) was distracting and slowed progress to a crawl. We were constantly trying to bring new people up to speed with what had happened previously, explain how to roll up characters, etc. Just as people got involved and started role-playing, they would leave for a panel discussion, etc.

2. The scenario was open-ended. If you know your players are going to stick around for a while, it's okay to give them free roam. If you have to deal with people dropping in and out, and new/inexperienced players, it helps to have a lot of DM-driven action sequences.

3. Immature players. One guy in particular was constantly talking OOC (e.g., "are there any girls there? because if there are I want to do them!"). Honestly the game would have been about 10x more interesting if we had turned on the rogue and gutted him. At least something would have happened!

Looking forward to next time, if I can find a more serious group!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    It helps if the GM comes with a scenerio that can be played out within about 5 hours or less. I'd put the outside limit on how long a game could last on about 7 hours if everyone is really interested in playing to the end.

And yeah, pre-rolled characters are basiclly a must.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    The guy running D20 Iron Horse knew exactly how to do things right.

That was pretty cool.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I was totaly pumped to play, I brought a bunch of stuff, walked through the Tabletop Room every few hours, yet never sat down to play.
    Just too much stuff going on.
    I was kinda disappointed that no DnD action was happening in the Double Tree rooms post concerts.

And as a side note for next years games:
    What level did people play?
    Was their a shortage of DMs?
    I saw an epic 13 player group, how do the mondo parties work out?

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • Options
    cyraxwinscyraxwins Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    i ran an eight an a half hour game,,,

cyraxwins on
    style7,Cyrax-spc-Motherfucker.png
  • Options
    t3h_sp00nt3h_sp00n Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Rabbitual, I was the rogue. I would not have appreciated that. We were going to continue it after the Saturday concert, but 1.) we were worn out and 2.) we couldn't collect any people to play that late. Next year, I'm bringing D&D people to start a campaign. We will make a D&D game to REMEMBER. You have my word.

t3h_sp00n on
    QCbanner.png

sp00n loves you
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    t3h_sp00n wrote:
    Rabbitual, I was the rogue.

You were?

different game josh..

cyraxwins on
  • Options
    t3h_sp00nt3h_sp00n Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    cyraxwins wrote:
    t3h_sp00n wrote:

You were?

different game josh..

Really? Sounds a lot like our game from Saturday.

t3h_sp00n on
    QCbanner.png

sp00n loves you
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    t3h_sp00n wrote:

I didn't take any pictures at the table, but the DM was the guy on the left here:

SUNP0053.jpg

...and since that picture was originally posted by cyraxwins, I think that means I just stuck my foot in my mouth. ;)

If you guys are there again next year, I'd be happy to join a session with less turnover. I was sorry that I had to leave before finding out why we woke up in that godforsaken field.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    iconherdericonherder Registered User new member
    edited August 2005
    I really had alot of fun at PAX and spent most of my time in the boardgames/D&D area. I really enjoyed the Iron Kingdoms demo game and I agree that is exactly how these things need to be run, just a little bit longer.

I had a tough time getting into a pick-up D&D game, I didn't see any games running the way they were outlined on the PAX website with pre-made chars besides the Iron Kingdoms game. When I did get in a game we had fun for an hour or two before the concert started, but we never managed to get the group back together so it just fizzled and died.

I would be really interested to see volunteer DM sign ups for next year's PAX and have sign-up sheets with time slots for playing some games, maybe even small prizes for best roleplayer (the best way I've seen of doing this is private votes go to the DM, who then weighs the vote with his/her own opinion and gives a reward).

The problem with D&D in this kind of environment is that combat takes way too long. I think most games would need to focus more on roleplaying situations and have 1 or 2 combats in order to be successful. If the game is designed to take about 2 or 3 hours and there are pre-made characters (which can lend well to a cool RP experience) then I think it would work better.

iconherder on
  • Options
    moirlamoirla the ancient and misspelled one Swamps of Sadness, FantasiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    thanks for asking, because I honestly had the same question. I left all my dice and stuff at home because I didn't know how things would work. (although DDO solved the dice problem)

And what is the proper ettiquette for joining a game?

moirla on
    Pretend to spank me, I'm a psuedo masochist.

Help support a fledgling con in the Pacific Northwest! visit www.Fandemonium.org!
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    Sorry the game sucked...

perhaps next year will be it's finale?

cyraxwins on