As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yalb, another way, in case you want to go back through it for any reason:
    Run in circles around him and charge up the sprinting attack move with the blade out. You will whip straight past him, hit him, and then be in the clear again. Keep on doing it.
    When he gets stunned, as he will if you keep this up, grab him and switch to muscle mass as the animation starts up. You do way more damage in muscle mass, making the grab and pound really worthwhile.
    When he charges up his giant tentacle rape, don't freak out or run away. Keep circling him, a little further out than usual. When he starts the devastator, three tentacles will come straight at you, they will look different from the other "graphic" tentacles and will be coming right at your face. As long as you are sprinting in a circle around him they wont hit you but if you want to be sure you can add some jumps and dashes. Soon as the last one passes you he is completely open for tearing up however you want. Normal charged blade combo, grounded high damage single target devastator, whatever. You have enough time.

If you need health, kill helicopters, not mens. Helicopters drop 3-6 little health stars, and you can kill one, then keep dodging, then come back and collect the glowy health powerups at your leisure. They give you more bang for your buck than mens.

Try to have full health for the count down timer, but even if you don't, as long as you did all the things above, you should be able to keep repeating the blade sprint to kill him.

Watch out for his tendril devastator after the timer starts because he now has four tentacles of rape face doomage not three, so make sure you wait out the fourth one.

Alternatively to all this, throwing bombs and missiles at him in muscle mass will do consistent and stupendous damage.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God I wish I hadn't quit this game when I did. I got stuck on one boss fight towards the end of the game and I haven't gone back.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    same. I wanna go back and finish it off but the mission i'm on is the helicopter chase one and that gives me very little time to relearn the moves.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    same. I wanna go back and finish it off but the mission i'm on is the helicopter chase one and that gives me very little time to relearn the moves.

Play some side missions, goof off.

Also, two or three or more things for that one:

On normal, a full juice muscle mass'd karate kick can one-shot a chopper, if memory serves.

A cannonball will DEFINITELY one-shot a chopper.

As morninglord has shown, the Y+B devastator has INFINITE range as long as you lock onto a target before you do it, and hold that lock the whole time.

The whipfist has pretty decent range, and hijacking a chopper counts as destroying it.

Rocket launchers will one-shot the choppers. And I don't think any individual launching puts out more than 4 choppers. This was fucking crucial on my basic run, and I suspect it will be when I hit it on my supersoldier run, too.

When between takeoffs and needing to run over to the next launch site, you have all the time in the world.

yalborap on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I WANT THIS GAME> STEAM MAEK PROMO SALE NAO!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    God I wish I hadn't quit this game when I did. I got stuck on one boss fight towards the end of the game and I haven't gone back.

Do you still have it? If so, there's always time for round 2.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable game. I bought it for $40 and got a ridiculous amount of play time out of it. If it ever hits $20, buy it!

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is there a reason why this game is still $45 used?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

Play some side missions, goof off.

The whipfist has pretty decent range, and hijacking a chopper counts as destroying it.
    These are the crucial knowledge. For that mission I just jumped up to one chopper, ate the pilots, and immediately jumped out to grab the next one. Takes about thirty seconds to kill a group. It's so much fun to decimate a strike team in this fashion, raining empty choppers down onto the tanks below.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is there a good way to make sure you're on the ground after running around on rough terrain when you start an attack? Against one boss, I kept accidently diving at him instead of using my intended whipfist attack.

jothki on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, considering how much fun I've had with this game since it was released it better get a sequel.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Man, considering how much fun I've had with this game since it was released it better get a sequel.

I'm glad my thread popped back up.

This game is fantastic. I'm pretty sure it sold decently too, I hope enough to warrant a sequel. I will honestly be pretty sad if it doesn't get one.

Anyone have input on the PC version? Does it control well? I can't imagine playing without a controller.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

This game is fantastic. I'm pretty sure it sold decently too, I hope enough to warrant a sequel. I will honestly be pretty sad if it doesn't get one.

Anyone have input on the PC version? Does it control well? I can't imagine playing without a controller.

I use a 360 pad on pc. Works 100% perfectly.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I popped this back in the tray just now after finishing rise of the argonauts. Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated, not that it'll make much difference seein as i'm so bad at the game

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I played all the way through on the PC version and absolutely loved it.

The controls felt very crisp and responsive. It reminded me a lot of playing AC1 on the PC as well. Just with better parkour, zombies, and brutal dismemberment.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    The controls felt very crisp and responsive. It reminded me a lot of playing AC1 on the PC as well. Just with better parkour, zombies, and brutal dismemberment.

I fail to see how it's better. It's even more automatic than Assassins Creed and the animations are boring as a sack of rocks.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Is there a good way to make sure you're on the ground after running around on rough terrain when you start an attack? Against one boss, I kept accidently diving at him instead of using my intended whipfist attack.

Diving? You mean the swan dive?

Holding sprint while gliding in the air and hitting the button for the charge whipfist (basically, hitting special attack) initiates the swandive. If you want the whipfist (or any special while in the air) let go of the sprint button and do it.

---

If you mean the flying kick, you could do a roll before hand and start mashing the normal attack button, that should count as being on the ground. I don't use the normal attacks much but when I do I tend to set them up out of rolls. (You could also tap the special button to do a stomp on the ground first then go into your attack, but this doesn't work with whipfist/hammerfist/blade) Letting go of sprint before attacking will also help in this situation since he wont try to auto parkour over anything which is what would be causing the flying kick to come out: after some of his parkour moves he's considered in the air.

I dunno which problem you were having but I hope one of those helps ya. :D

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Guys, guys, guys. Hey, over.... Guys.. Guess what? Guys, you listening? Sorry, I meant reading? Paying attention? Good, I finished. Yeah, awesome right? So I popped the game back in after forever and did as you said, messed about for about 10 minutes. Then went and triggered the heli mission in which you chase down and destroy three lots of helicopters. It was giving me a hell of a time last time I was playing the game but this time through I got it in the first attempt. Used whipfist and jacked the first fly and used it to blast the others away. Honestly, the last mission wasn't so bad either. I mean I got in on my third attempt but that ain't too bad for an end boss. What a fantastic game. Loved the news cast at the credit roll too.

Big thank you's to all the folks who gave tips on how to beat the chopper section, I think the main tip was the cannonball hit. I never even tried that :p

Big Classy on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

I fail to see how it's better. It's even more automatic than Assassins Creed and the animations are boring as a sack of rocks.

Because you've got a lot more control and speed when using it, given the impression that Alex is seriously fucking moving.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Holding sprint while gliding in the air and hitting the button for the charge whipfist (basically, hitting special attack) initiates the swandive. If you want the whipfist (or any special while in the air) let go of the sprint button and do it.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, thanks.

I'm stuck on the mission where I need to protect the pump. Is there a good way to handle it besides grabbing a helicopter? I don't seem to have the necessary power and durability required to handle it on the ground once the hydras and leaders show up, but helicopters won't appear if I start from the checkpoint there.

jothki on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Because you've got a lot more control and speed when using it, given the impression that Alex is seriously fucking moving.

Speed, I'll grant you. But it's all so generic looking. Just hopping over cars or doing a silly looking flip over something bigger. And controls? I seriously can't find anything to praise about the games controls.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Speed, I'll grant you. But it's all so generic looking. Just hopping over cars or doing a silly looking flip over something bigger. And controls? I seriously can't find anything to praise about the games controls.

Psyco pretty much hit it on the head how I felt about it. Given the impression of speed, momentum, and scope of the game, everything worked quite well. I stopped caring about how silly alex looked doing flips over tanks when there were people to body surf, heads to crush in, and pilots to throw out of cockpits before brutally consuming their gunner.

This is coming from someone though who never played any of the Hulk:UD games or modern platformers of this generation. Maybe I'm missing out then and prototype is terrible in the movement regard :?:

I just wanted to get across that Prototype was ridiculously awesome, and playing it on a PC with no game pad shouldn't discourage anyone from the experience.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ArjanNArjanN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Assassins Creed looks more like actual real-life parkour, but this a lot less automatic than AC. Things like using the air dash just before a landing boosting your runnning speed and such. You just feel way more empowered in Prototype.

The controls are fine. It's probably not until you do some of the harder challenges that you realize there is finesse to it.

ArjanN on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just finished a long-ass session of Prototype after finally forcing myself away from the keys. Overall I love the game, with one huge exception; the
    Sarah Green boss fight. I may have done something wrong, because regardless of which of the critical mass abilities it took me between 7-10 attacks to force her into her vulnerable state (about half of which failed because of a bullshit attack combo from her or me misjudging the distance and thus getting in range of the tentacle attacks) and then I needed to put her in her vulnerable state four times to wear her down, which all in all put the boss fight at something like an hour.

Mediocre boss design and utterly retarded military AI aside, no flaw could take away from the pure joy of gliding through the city with effortless grace, throwing the burning wreck of a tank onto a flying helicopter and then slicing through a pack of hunters in armor/blade form.

SEMI-SPOILERS MAYBE I GUESS

I should also note that morally, the game entirely failed to engage me. At the start I felt like I might have some control on how the story progresses, by fighting the infection and avoiding confrontations with the military. However it soon became apparent that the missions you get are a wild mix between fighting the infected and the military, including the story missions, and that it is almost impossible to remain consistent. Alex began to look more and more like an entirely selfish character to me despite his professed wish to save the city, and the "decisions" I made felt less and less meaningful.

While I felt less engaged in the story, this left me free to enjoy the game for what it was rather than some kind of psychological thriller. Alex is there to fuck stuff up with huge arm-blades, not to ponder over moral consequences and save people. The game got a bit easier when I stopped worrying about killing civilians too.

Vic on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If Mercer seems like a selfish character, it's because
    He is. He's a grade A physcopath with some narcissistic tendencies.

Pay attention to his last lines in the last cinematic. It's not focused on the havoc he's caused, or the lives he's taken. Instead, he takes all that, and tries to make himself look like a victim of the shit he's done to other people, all while glorifying his role in "saving" the city.

Of course, compared to the actual villains in this game, he's a fucking hero.

Maybe he'll start manning up (Literally), and get a bit more compassionate about how he acts in the next game.

Having the living memories of possibly thousands of people kicking around in his head ought to give him a bit of a lesson in humanity. Well, either that, or drive him insane with contempt toward's humanity like it did with Greene. Win win from the player's perspective, I guess.

I hope they explore whether the General was
    Infected or not, next game. The fact that he recognized Cross as being infected is a massive plot hole. I'd be willing to bet that the virus has dug it's claws in in other areas of the country in more subtle ways, if that's the case, given that line of his. It'd explain why Blackwatch got blind-sided by the Blacklight version of the virus, since you'd think they'd plan for contingencies like that.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, thanks.

I'm stuck on the mission where I need to protect the pump. Is there a good way to handle it besides grabbing a helicopter? I don't seem to have the necessary power and durability required to handle it on the ground once the hydras and leaders show up, but helicopters won't appear if I start from the checkpoint there.

Tendril devastators wont hurt the pump and ...just a fyi, if you have skyjack, you can whip a hunter down to eatable then skyjack over to it and mash the eat button to nom nom completely uninterrupted. Once a hunter noming starts you are invulnerable. This is useful for fueling the devastators.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

Pay attention to his last lines in the last cinematic. It's not focused on the havoc he's caused, or the lives he's taken. Instead, he takes all that, and tries to make himself look like a victim of the shit he's done to other people, all while glorifying his role in "saving" the city.

Maybe he'll start manning up (Literally), and get a bit more compassionate about how he acts in the next game.

Having the living memories of possibly thousands of people kicking around in his head ought to give him a bit of a lesson in humanity. Well, either that, or drive him insane with contempt toward's humanity like it did with Greene. Win win from the player's perspective, I guess.

Infected or not, next game. The fact that he recognized Cross as being infected is a massive plot hole. I'd be willing to bet that the virus has dug it's claws in in other areas of the country in more subtle ways, if that's the case, given that line of his. It'd explain why Blackwatch got blind-sided by the Blacklight version of the virus, since you'd think they'd plan for contingencies like that.
    Mercer is dead. You play as the actual virus, that just happens to look like Mercer and have his memories. Viruses don't get compassionate. All they do is survive, and fight things that impede on their ability to survive.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mercer is dead. You play as the actual virus, that just happens to look like Mercer and have his memories. Viruses don't get compassionate. All they do is survive, and fight things that impede on their ability to survive.
    That's still weird for me whenever I think about it. I love the fact that you were pretty much the
    antagonist and protagonist at the same time, shades of grey ftw.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    That's still weird for me whenever I think about it. I love the fact that you were pretty much the
    antagonist and protagonist at the same time, shades of grey ftw.

I wasn't a big fan to be honest
    if you were Mercer , you'd be even more of a villain. I kinda wish you were.

Egos on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope that Alex's sister
    Comes back as a new Elizabeth Greene type character if they make a sequel.

Really, that was one of my main gripes with Prototype. It had a lot of interesting plot points that it just dropped.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wait it had a plot? :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait it had a plot? :P

YES! You just had to look for it.

Something about a town...Pariah...umm...Military bad...zombies...sword arm.

I mean with how obscure everything was I'm pretty sure it could have won best movie if it were a movie.

I mean it was a story of one man's journey to pile drive as many people as he could off the top of the Empire State building.

Bought a tear to my eye.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I found every node, and I still didn't understand the plot.

Renzo on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On the note of Mercer's sister:
    I'm hoping she comes back, but as a second protagonist. I'd love to be able to play as Zeus/'Alex' for a while and kick ass with my blade arm and whip arm and parkouring around and stuff for a while, then switch over to her when I wanted and have a whole new set of abilities to play with.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was being facetious because I obviously don't care and wouldn't have ever cared if it had a good plot or not.

I quite enjoyed the story and especially the credit sequence but story is not what I signed up for.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Concerns about story really go out the window for me when you spend 15 minutes in armour mode jumping on people so they explode. Followed by 20 minutes of uppercutting people into tiny pieces with the shoryuken.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I still regularly boot up the game and easily spend an hour or so just smashing the world to pieces for fun.

I always see something epic and new in combat because of the sheer variety of animations and explosions that can happen at once, or a particular situation I haven't seen before.

Like the time I happened to air dash just as a missile hit me by complete accident and the timing was just right so that Mercer is calmly dashing out of the fireball as if nothing happened. It basically looked like he ignored it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only wish you could destroy buildings (Not just some buildings, but all).

Mix this up with Red Faction Guerilla.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    I just finished a long-ass session of Prototype after finally forcing myself away from the keys. Overall I love the game, with one huge exception; the
    Sarah Green boss fight. I may have done something wrong, because regardless of which of the critical mass abilities it took me between 7-10 attacks to force her into her vulnerable state (about half of which failed because of a bullshit attack combo from her or me misjudging the distance and thus getting in range of the tentacle attacks) and then I needed to put her in her vulnerable state four times to wear her down, which all in all put the boss fight at something like an hour.

Yeah that boss fight was utter bullshit. I beat it after a couple tries basically by
    just highjacking tanks and blasting her to bits.

There was really nothing more to it than that. All these super powers, and the strongest attack I have is stealing mundane vehicles and using their weapons until they are about to explode, at which point I bail and search for a new vehicle.

Once I passed that boss fight, I found the same began to hold true for most any of the big fights... vehicles > super powers.

That's when I shut down the game and, with no desire to boot it up ever again, returned it. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »
    I only wish you could destroy buildings (Not just some buildings, but all).

Mix this up with Red Faction Guerilla.
    Man, doing a bulletdive drop into a skyscraper with red faction's building destructibility... new pants please. Of course that much destruction would cause the game to run at .0000006 frames per second and probably kill my 360, but a man can dream.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

Humanity is not a requirement for compassion, especially considering how he seems (at least seemed) to derive a lot of his personality from Mercer. Then again most of the things he did were in self-defence, it was as kind of the military's fault for focusing too much resources on killing Zeus rather than taking care of the big problem of Elizabeth Green and the infection.

And the missions you did for the agent stood out in particulal as inconsistent. First mission, destroy the Bloodtox emitters even though their range is not really enough to threaten you. Second mission, protect the Bloodtox pump. Third mission, you are becoming immune to Bloodtox but I guess now we are destroying the Bloodtox facility!

Vic on