As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Final Fantasy 11! Wings of the Goddess annoncenced!

• aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Also, hi aett.

Hey man! I take it you have a server picked out already?

aett on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    aett wrote: »
    Also, hi aett.

Hey man! I take it you have a server picked out already?

When the Registration Server Maintenance thing resolves itself, or something:

ucs2321qo5.jpg

In any case, I was thinking of kicking it with either you, Murphy, or the people on Asura.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • EZEZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You guys got me playing again, Im on Leviathin unforunatly. If any of you are thinking of picking this up for the 360 I highly recomend it. This game was great enough at an uncomfortable computer chair, But put it on a big HDTV and lounge on the couch, Its bliss. And playing with the controller is great, I thought it would be a pain in the butt, I was mistaken. And its a good excuse for not talking to irritating people sometimes. Ive got a " Sorry, My keyboard isnt hooked up"macro ready for those situations.

Might anyone know if there is a compatable wireless keyboard for the 360? That would be great.

EZ on
    psn: Fueler325
    Steam ID:
    edited April 2007
    So, where do my screenshots get saved to?

Also, Albaronia (creative, huh?) on Valefor.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, where do my screenshots get saved to?

Also, Albaronia (creative, huh?) on Valefor.

On the PC? There's a folder deep within your POL directory that holds your FFXI screenshots.

there should be one or two "home" directories under:
    C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pub\
    that has the screenshot folder I'm pretty sure.

I usually make a folder shortcut to that directory in "My Pictures" to access it easier.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    man, that sounds good.

do you need xbox live to play final fantasy? or just a playonline account?

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Xhero wrote: »
    Using a controller is SO much better, in my opinion. The game was really designed for it, after all.

Karnein on Valefor (for what it's worth)

Oh, and the music in Selbina is by far my favorite track in the game, and it ranks fairly high in my list of favorite game tracks.

There's better zone music, in my opinion. I'm partial to Zi'Tah's theme.

Zi'tah, the zone right outside Zi with the dolls and weapons on the way to sky (forgot the name) and Lumoria were tops imo.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bruan wrote: »
    man, that sounds good.

do you need xbox live to play final fantasy? or just a playonline account?

just a silver account not gold.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ok updated the roster. I may or may not get my lazy ass up and write a guide so if any of you want to write one up, you are more than free to do so. I'll post it with my own personal touch ;-)

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Xhero wrote: »
    Using a controller is SO much better, in my opinion. The game was really designed for it, after all.

Karnein on Valefor (for what it's worth)

Oh, and the music in Selbina is by far my favorite track in the game, and it ranks fairly high in my list of favorite game tracks.

There's better zone music, in my opinion. I'm partial to Zi'Tah's theme.

Zi'tah, the zone right outside Zi with the dolls and weapons on the way to sky (forgot the name) and Lumoria were tops imo.

Battle music in Aht Urghan is my personal favorite.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    This Easter Egg hunt shit is getting annoying. I can't go to any town without a million people yellling out what eggs they want or what they are selling.

Casper on
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That's why I never have shout on. Ever.

Murphy on
    edited April 2007
    The only reason I have it on is that when I am in Jueno I like to hear who is giving teleports, but now the convience of that is being ousted by the annoying /shout I have AKDFHAUOVN eggs 3k each

Casper on
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually I love this Easter Egg crap. Starting over gil was an issue but not when I can just grab eggs and sell them on bazaar. Granted I'm out in the dunes now but I made my first 10-15k easy just leaving my guy on overnight to sell in Sandy. Just a tip to the new guys, its easy money.

Since I'm on the subject any event is a good money making tool. Just get the trigger item ( eggs, candy, cookies, etc... ) and sell them.

Also for newer people its a great chance to see allot of the late game armor and whatnot with the higher level people having to return to home towns to participate and get that latest piece of "hot gear".

SkannerJAT on
    edited April 2007
    I swear I don't shout, too obnoxious

SkannerJAT on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I didnt know we got a new FF thread...
    In any case, I play on Quetzalcoatl. Name "Neville"
    75 RNG and THF, 70 RDM. And Bastok for lyfe, yo! ^^

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited April 2007
    I can teleport myself of have a friend do it. So thankfully, I don't need to worry about that either. And honestly, with Chocobos, and Outpost Warps, and Airships, there isn't much need for Teleports these days anyway.

I swear, I don't know what to do about my endgame LS. They seem like really nice folks, but it's like, every time I log on, there is something to do. Some HNM to camp, or event to run, or whatever. I have virtually no time to myself. I have subjobs to level and alternate jobs I'd like to work on. But if I'm constantly standing around at an HNM pop site for hours waiting for the chance at a claim, I'm never going to get any time to work on these things.

I wish someone had made it clear how ambitious their schedule was before I was told to apply. :/

Murphy on
    edited April 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    I can teleport myself of have a friend do it. So thankfully, I don't need to worry about that either. And honestly, with Chocobos, and Outpost Warps, and Airships, there isn't much need for Teleports these days anyway.

I swear, I don't know what to do about my endgame LS. They seem like really nice folks, but it's like, every time I log on, there is something to do. Some HNM to camp, or event to run, or whatever. I have virtually no time to myself. I have subjobs to level and alternate jobs I'd like to work on. But if I'm constantly standing around at an HNM pop site for hours waiting for the chance at a claim, I'm never going to get any time to work on these things.

I wish someone had made it clear how ambitious their schedule was before I was told to apply. :/

Just unequip it or say no.

Seriously; I'm all for helping a guild/LS but if that same guild/LS isn't doing anything for you in return then what's the point really?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2007
    But they are doing things for me. It's just that they do a lot of events. And while they don't mind if you're not online and thus cannot be at an event, they do expect you to be there if you are online. Getting exp is not a reasonable excuse for not coming to an LS event. I knew that going in. I just didn't realize how often they had things going on.

And I would never unequip an LS just to avoid an event. That's shady. Besides, all of my friends are in the LS, and they would know I was online anyway.

Worst case scenario I'll just take a break from the LS altogether and reapply later. That'd mean that I'd go to the bottom of any loot lists, but that's not the end of the world.

edit: I have to say, it's not so much the Dynamis twice a week that I mind. Or even Sky twice a week for a few hours. It's the daily camps at Fafnir/Nidhogg, that just happen to fall into my free time (a potential three hour camp), and other random NM pops that are starting to wear me down.

Anyway, it's just bellyaching on my part. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Murphy on
    edited April 2007
    That is why I am glad my LS has enough people we plan out and have availability list usually two weeks ahead of time. Also we only do one or two things a week, then friday and sat.

Casper on
  • ducttapeenthusiastducttapeenthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like a LS you weren't ready to join. There are a couple of those on my server, where they are constantly camping something or popping something etc. You could just take a break from HNM events and just chill while leveling other jobs. I've done it, my friends have done it, and it sounds like you should do it. Put it to your LS this way: your intention is to make yourself more useful for them in the long run.

ducttapeenthusiast on
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like a LS you weren't ready to join. There are a couple of those on my server, where they are constantly camping something or popping something etc. You could just take a break from HNM events and just chill while leveling other jobs. I've done it, my friends have done it, and it sounds like you should do it. Put it to your LS this way: your intention is to make yourself more useful for them in the long run.

Whenever I see your name I always read: "Ducktapepenis"

I need to see a therapist. My wife is a therapist; but I don't think she'd understand...:P

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2007
    My end game LS is pretty cool. I can't make their god farming day b/c my RL friends and I static then. So we farm on other days. We're doing an O-hat run (Finally!!!) after I get off work. Wee! :D

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited April 2007
    Yay for totally off-topic posts!:

So; I have this bead stuff filled wrist rest for my mouse that I use. It's got a normal cloth outside, but I'm not entirely sure what the beads are made of. Point is; I want to wash the thing because it's kinda old and the cloth is getting a little (embarassingly) crusty from palm/wrist sweat. Problem is I'm not sure if it's washer safe; I cut the tag off some time ago so I don't know what brand/name it is to try to find out if it's safe to put in a washing machine. Anyone have a wrist rest like this and happen to know?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2007
    I'm liking the game so far. Definitely night and day when compared to WoW. Quick question, though. Should I ignore the quests for the most part and just grind my way to the Dunes? To put it another way, are there any quests a lowbie (1-10) should do?

@KingsHand: If you're so worried, can't you just handwash the thing?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2007
    I'm liking the game so far. Definitely night and day when compared to WoW. Quick question, though. Should I ignore the quests for the most part and just grind my way to the Dunes? To put it another way, are there any quests a lowbie (1-10) should do?

The quests won't net you XP like in WoW, for example, but they will get you reputation. A lot of them are a good way to get quick money: either through Gil or items you don't need/want and can sell on the AH.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some things are only attainable from questing and are not repeatable, hence sell for a lot. Best example of this is the Utsusemi:Ichi scroll. It's usually fairly expensive because of the rep grind you need to get it.

I'd say don't stress out "too much" over quests, but do some simple ones when you can. http://www.ffxiclopedia.org has the quests broken down by area/region.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited April 2007

There are a few quest worth doing starting off. Like the Justice Badge (( + to MND, cant remember how much )) and Compound Eye Circlet (( +5 Evasion )) in Windurst. Sorry I cant offer more quest in other towns as Windurst was always my starting place. Even if you don't use them its worth just to sell them. Cant remember any other low level quest off the top of my head. Also quest help build fame for particular cities/kingdoms. This helps lower the cost of some items from npcs and influences what quest you can activate.
    Edit: Beated

SkannerJAT on
    edited April 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

Whenever I see your name I always read: "Ducktapepenis"

I need to see a therapist. My wife is a therapist; but I don't think she'd understand...:P

You're not the first to point that out, which makes me think I should lean toward a new handle.
    SkannerJAT wrote: »

There are a few quest worth doing starting off. Like the Justice Badge (( + to MND, cant remember how much )) and Compound Eye Circlet (( +5 Evasion )) in Windurst. Sorry I cant offer more quest in other towns as Windurst was always my starting place. Even if you don't use them its worth just to sell them. Cant remember any other low level quest off the top of my head. Also quest help build fame for particular cities/kingdoms. This helps lower the cost of some items from npcs and influences what quest you can activate.
    Edit: Beated

Things in the other towns to aim for would be the Warp or Teleport-Dem scroll quest in Bastok, or the Mage's Ballad, Teleport-Holla and Drain scroll quests in San d'Oria. I would offer this advice though, make sure you are certain in your job choice before running off to Jeuno to sell these scrolls; you wouldn't want to shoot yourself in the foot by selling something you'll be needing shortly.

ducttapeenthusiast on
    edited April 2007
    Virtually all the quests are useful for one reason or another. Either good loot, gil, or just a neat little side story to spice things up. I wouldn't stress too much over them in the beginning though; just do them if you happen upon them.

Keep in mind, as others have said, that quests raise rep, which lowers that cities shop prices a bit, and opens up more quests as you get higher rep. (There's numerous guides about how to PL rep and how to tell your rep level, etc) In Jeuno for instance; at certain levels of rep (Jeuno rep is determined by your combined rep with Bastok; Sandy; and Windurst) you can do the gobbie bag quests and increase your backpack size; which is so awesome to have. I think it can go up to 50 or so. Also, if you can swing the gil, or borrow it from someone you can do the mog house quests to increase your mog bank size and resell the bed needed for what you paid (at least) so it' doesn't really cost anything except for the items you need to hand to Mog; which last time I played weren't terribly expensive.

Also, as others have stated, there are many spells; particurlarly the teleport ones, some NIN ones; warp, etc that can be (only?) got by questing. All of these tend to sell for a small fortune but keep in mind if you ever intend on leveling say WHM and you sell your Teleport spells for cash at lower levels; you very well might end up paying more than you made to buy them later. Then again; maybe not, and if you don't ever intend on playing that job up to high enough levels to use the Teleports; then no loss really.

Personally, I would have a big list of local quests or whatever to do if I find myself LFG for an inordinate amount of time; so that I can keep myself busy. For the most part it's not like you're losing any time/effort if you stop what you're doing in a quest because you get a team invite. You can simply go back to it later. Be prepared with a warp scroll or another means of transport if you wander too far from your leveling zone while questing so that your PT doesn't have to wait for you to run across the world.

Baron: I'm not too worried; if it's ruined I'll just get another I guess. But money is tight right now and I'd rather not throw another 20 bucks on a wrist rest if I don't have to. I thought about hand washing it; but it'd still have to be immersed to get it clean well; so might as well washing machine it. I'll probably throw it in with my work clothes when I get home from campus today and just cross my fingers.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're talking about your Home Cities Missions; yeah, definitely do them as soon as you can. One; it's an indication to other players as to your "status"; I.E. if a PT in Valk is looking for a WAR/MNK or whatever for tanking; there's 2 on LFG one rank 4 and one rank 1; 9 times out of 10 (at least) they're going to take the higher rank person. Besides that the Missions are the games story; which honestly from what I saw on my own; and on YouTube; is quite good; particularly for a MMO, but even for any RPG it's a good story. After Rank 3 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) all the cities Missions move to a homogenous Mission line in Jeuno and then onward from there.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2007
    Also, almost anything can be useful.
    Do NOT throw away "Beastmen's Seals"

They are used later on (beginning at level 20) for BCNM (Burning Circle Notorious Monster) fights which can net you some cool rare/ex gear, not to mention loot you can sell for a good bit of Gil on the AH.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The mission line splits after you obtain Rank 6; The Zilart missions continue the story you begin with 5-2, and the rest of the rank missions are once more nation-specific. The Chains of Promathia missions can be started as soon as you zone into Delkfutt's Tower with the expansion installed, but the first actual content of the expansion requires you to be at least level 30. The Aht Urhgan missions shouldn't really be started until around level 60.

Xhero on
  • EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Erickei of Lakshmi. Now active once more.

*looks at his gear* eep. I really need to farm.

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png
    edited April 2007
    The main problem is that they didn't represent their activity schedule adequately. My old endgame shell wasn't nearly as busy, and there was plenty of time for individual activities amongst the LS specific ones.

But you're right. I totally joined before I should. Too much pressure from friends to join them, which is flattering, but I simply don't have the time to devote that they do. I'm just going to have to drop the shell. Because I'm still technically "on trial" and taking time to level my other jobs and farm and all that stuff simply doesn't factor into their guidelines for newbies. Which is cool.

edit: Re low level quests...

Everyone is steering you exactly right. There isn't any reason to avoid doing as many quests as you can, because if nothing else they will grant you some gil, and raise your fame in that area, thus lowering NPC prices for items, and opening up more quests to you. So it's really a win-win situation. I'm the type that just grinds fame these days, but I'm on my fourth character, so I'm used to it. If you just do them as you come across them and when you have the time, you'll be fine.

Personally (and this is just me), I'd put off joining a party for as long as you can. Partying is going to be valuable exp (not in the exp point sense, but rather in that you'll learn how to function in a group), but there will be plenty of time for that during the majority of your leveling experience. Low level dunes parties (10-14) are generally awful, and you can, if you stick to EP-DC mobs in the zones outside the dunes, get generally better exp per hour than in your average party. Plus you get to keep all of your drops, and you don't have to deal with general idiocy.

That said, if you want to join right away, it's totally understandable. Just don't let the kind of parties you'll find yourself in dissuade you. They really do get better.

Murphy on
    edited April 2007
    Happy time!
    Finally got my o-hat!

pol2007-04-0521-45-15-09.jpg
    Back row, to the right of Taralesca... can see the Ne... before the rest is covered up by Lordmace's name.

WEEEE. :P

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Acording to a playonline newsletter I just got in my E-Mail, a world transfer service is in the works.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if it'll be like the usually transfers where you talk to "the man" and just kinda get sent to the predetermined server for the transfer; or if it'll actually be a choice.

That's odd; it's not showing my sig.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2007
    Based on what I've read/heard, it's going to be more like the latter. Details haven't been provided yet, but it won't be a "World Shift" like they have had in the past.

edit: Congrats on your O-Hat, Neville! I got mine last year, and it was a lot of fun (if long, and a bit annoying). It'll be nice to have.

Murphy on
    edited April 2007
    If that's the case...maybe I'll move off Carbuncle to a more PA populated server (no offense Bri; you seem to be into WoW atm anyway). Classes end the first week of may and I decided to take the summer off to just work so I should have a lot of responsibility-free time to kill. If I sign back up; it'd probably be then.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    If that's the case...maybe I'll move off Carbuncle to a more PA populated server (no offense Bri; you seem to be into WoW atm anyway). Classes end the first week of may and I decided to take the summer off to just work so I should have a lot of responsibility-free time to kill. If I sign back up; it'd probably be then.

A bunch of my friends and I are on Quetzi. Most of them read PA, but I'm the only forum reader/lurker/occasional-poster, though.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited April 2007
    Congratulations on being inducted into the ugly hat club Neville!

If server switching becomes an option I'm afraid I'll be staying right where I am. As cool as it would be to join up with you guys, I've got a good thing going on Garuda with several friends in the real world that play there with me as well as a linkshell that simply can't be replaced, as I think it's the only one of its kind across all servers.

ducttapeenthusiast on
This discussion has been closed.