As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]Navy Field: Free Premium Sub. for ALL! Jan 16th-31st

Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
And now for more Korean Tactical MMORPGA the A is for ACTION! It's Navy Field time!

wall_04_3.jpg
screenshot02.gif
----
Find Eachother
----
forum name --- NF name
----

Fleck0.........................flecko
Bremen.......................bremen
Kajusta......................kajusta
Leaf.............................leaf
An ancient list of players I salvaged from an old thread, if anyone wants to give NF another try there hasn't been a player wipe or anything
Urgel..........................Urgel
Gigglio........................Nanogym
Drallo..........................Drallo
Deswa........................Deswa
Ethan Smith................Abelard_L
Cyberjackal.................Cyberjackal
WHY............................Valkun
Angelofvengeance.......Eric14
Webguy20...................Webguy20
Randombattle..............Randombattle
Talith............................Talith_PA
TalonZahn....................TalonZahn
HydroSqueegee...........TenFootHen
Entropy.........................Negativa
Airan.............................Esti
Wombat!!.....................WombatPA
----

First up, some Q&A

Where can I get it?

From here the main site

What is Navy Field?

It's a free Korean made (though the english version is run from the US) tactics based MMO taking place on the high seas of World War II.

It's been likened to a non-cartoony realtime gunbound with an isometric view. NF sports a huge variety of ships from 4 different nations, ranging from the miniscule Fast frigate to massive battleships and aircraft carriers.

There's a strong simulation presence, every ship and gun in the game actually existed and for the most part is recreated faithfully (they do take liberties here and there for the sake of balance.)

Did I mention you get to name all your sailors so you feel extra bad when they get sent straight to hell?
Sailors never really die, think of them like Legion from the castlevania series, all sailors start out with 100% recuits, as you do better you get experts, which can be converted into veterans with a 40% or so chance of success with an exchange rate of 10 experts per 10 vets. Vets get a % boost to whavever stats they specialize in, experts get an even bigger boost

sailorztv8.th.jpg
My sailor names on my yorktown tend to range from venture characters and aqua teen manning the guns and support while the pilots are all Top Gun nicknames with Final Fantasy 6 thrown in for the bombers

Free you say

Yeah, NF is 100% free if you want. Along the lines of gunbound and many other Korean MMOs you can spend real life money if you're so inclined. You can buy things like elite sailors, upgrades to your existing sailors, premium ships that can't be aquired otherwise, and they also offer 2 subscription plans that will boost the EXP and Credits you earn significantly

Wait... exp? for boats?

NF also has a lot of RPG elements. Each ship has to have a crew that runs it. All crew members start out as neutral sailors, each battle they get EXP which increase their level and skills, as they go up in levels you assign them specialized classes based on their skills, this is another huge list that differs between nations this jobs like Bridge Operators, Radio men, Accuracy Gunners, Reload Gunners, various pilots, repairmen, engineers and so on.

The level of your bridge operator, probably your most important sailors determines what ships he can command.

It's Korean... so there's it's a massive grind fest??

Basically yes, the only real goal is to earn Money for bigger ships and get exp for stronger sailors. The fact that it's 100% GvG combat things tend to stay interesting and the battles are short and sweet

Not too long ago they also added in a Harbor assault mode, in which a fleet (large clan) attacks a nation allied harbor in an attempt to control it. If your fleet succeeds they'll get access to unique ships as well as a steady stream of taxes to fill those wallets.

What are the nations? are they different?

Oh yes, picking your nation (which you do at lvl 12) is very important. Once you assign a sailor to a nation you can't change him back. Though you CAN create another crew and assign them something different, so there's nothing stopping you from having some ships from each nation.

The nations are

United States - USN

Kriegsmarine (Germans) - KM

Royal Navy (English) - RN

Imperial Japanese Navy - IJN

There are better resources than me that'll help you make the decision which one to focus on but basically the strengths and weaknesses are:

USN
pros: USN is the balanced nation, they can pretty much do everything OK, but don't really excell at anything. Also their CVs (aircraft carriers) are arguably the best. Also I use 'em, so they must be good!

cons: They're balanced, so their ships can go either way. Some really suck, while others shine in the right situations

KM
pros: KM has the longest range guns, range can be a HUGE factor, especially in battles with larger ships. They also have some of the best engines

cons: They have some of the weakest shells, so you want to be hitting the other guy a lot from somewhere where he can hit you back

RN
pros: Ah the UK, the most cried about nation by far. They have some great ships, great shell damage and godly armor. REALLY godly armor. some would say they're the best all-around nation

cons: Some ships are utter crap, and I've heard the grind can be painful at times.

IJN
pros: IJN love torpedoes, which it why everyone hates 'em (you'll see what I mean when you have a japanese light cruiser lay down a solid wall of torps and sink 5 ships in one go. They also have the most diversity in their aircraft carriers

cons: sometimes it seems like the Battleships are armored with freakin rice paper.

I'm tired of reading, can I just look at some pictures...

These are pretty big so I'll just link 'em

A Docked US carrier

Pilots and seamen alike being sent to a watery grave

One of those torpedo walls I mentioned, You'll learn to hate these

Which Server?
There are 3 servers (plus a test server) I'd reccomend Arizona, it's informally called the vet server but really you'll see plenty of new people and there are plenty of modes you can play that will keep you with people of your level so your tiny frigate won't get one-shotted by a yamato class battleship.

There is also a small PA clan in existance on Arizona, Imperial Arcadia. post here and we'll have someone meet up to let you in

edit: The main draw to NF is that it's not like any other Korean MMO. No anime inspired / diabetes inducing character designs (see my Trickster online thread if you have a taste for the Sho-Shweet style. Navy Field is a damn fun WWII era tactival navy simulation with some strong RPG elements.

Basically how many rabbits will you kill in NF? the answer is none

steam_sig.png
Fleck0 on

• Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll post various newbie oriented guides or websites here.

WWW.NF-Guides.com - Some very helpful and newb-friendly guides here that cover most of the basics and some advanced topics

Navy Field Data Store - This site's an incredible resource, think of it like an encyclopedia for everything Navy Field

Every hotkey you could want to know
    part 2 - some of these you'll probably never need, but the in game list (F5) leaves some of these out. Mostly the plane control keys which you won't need until you get a light cruiser and start scouting out the battlefield for your teammates

Some basic tips for new people

sending tells

First you need a radioman, level any neut sailor to lvl 7 and then convert him to radioman. don't waste a sailor with decent stats on this as he doesn't help your ship in anyway other than letting you communicate with other players.

while in the harbor you'll notice a little red circle at the bottom-left corner of the screen, stick him here. Right clicking and left clicking on him will bring up different options. Right click to add friends, after you have a friend added you can left click him and a list of those people will show up. Just double click someone's name and a dialog window will pop up and you're good to go

- Probably the most important thing before you start fighting is your FCS, I forget what that stands for but it controls the ships aiming. By default when you first login you get an aiming FCS, this means click where you want the shots to go and hit space. The problem with auto FCS is that besides being not that accurate it will really hurt you in the long run if you rely on it. I'd reccomend sticking an aiming FCS on that ship right away. It'll be tough at first but once you get the hang of things you'll have a huge edge over anyone who still uses auto

- The CTRL key. This toggles the TDA which stands for "Make your turrets move a hell of a lot faster". You won't want this on while you're trying to lock onto an enemy ship but when making a turn or making significant changes to your gun angles it'll save you prescious seconds.

- Types of rooms! (I'll add screenshots later to make this part clearer)

I'm not going to cover everything but here's basically what you'll see when you look for people to shoot.

when you get your ship all set up and venture out of the harbor click the yellow "crosshairs inside a circle" thingy. This will zoom out to a view of the world, basically every possible place you can fight. You want to go to area #12, cause that's where all the action takes place.

Once here you'll see a bunch of little boxes with titles describing what type of battle in contained theirein.

- Standard Rooms - These are your basic battles, they'll usually have a name like FF/DD/CL which refers to the type of ships that are allowed (in this case frigates, destroyers, and light cruisers).

CV hunts are fun (unless you're on missouri, in which case you're outta luck). One team is made up of aircraft carriers while the other team is anyone who isn't a carrier. You have to get all the way across the map to reach the carrier that'll send wave after wave of planes at your team. This is a great place to practice using AA guns.

You'll also see things like AW (All Welcome) this is a free-for-all where anyone can join. This is basically a Grand Battle 2 without auto-team-balancing and the exp/credits aren't shared, you get what you earn.

- Grand Battle 2 this is the first shared experience game-type they added. Which means the amount of credits and EXP earned is based on how well your team did (with the losing team getting a penalty and the winning team getting a bonus)

- Blitzkrieg - This is the newest mode and the one new players will want to spend the most time in. Blitz's allow FF through CA class ships, so no battleships and no carriers. Also you get tons of exp and credits here. in a decently sized ship it's not unlikely to get 10k credits and around 6k EXP per game you win.

Ship Acronyms (in order of when they appear on the ship trees

FF = Frigate

DD = Destroyer

CL = Light Cruiser

PCL = Premium Light Cruiser
    (you need real $$ to get these, though you can also buy one in game if you find a player willing to sell one)

CA = Heavy Cruiser

PCA = Premium Heavy Cruiser

CV = Aircraft Carrier

BC = Pocket Battleship
    (there aren't many of these, they're better than CA's but not quite as heavy as a BB)

BB = Battleship

each class of ships can also be divided into tiers. For example the USS Brooklyn is a CL1 and the USS Cleveland is a CL2. Though that doesn't necessarily mean that a CL2 will always beat a CL1, it's mostly just to denote where they fall on the ship tree

STATS

ok this I'll keep simple because some of the links above go into this in much more depth (specifically the one on sailors at NF-Guides.com)

Each stat has growth and Ability. Growth is the amount a stat increases each level and ability is how good their current skill with said ability. When rolling new sailors, ignore ability all you really care about is growth, no matter what the lvl 1 ability is the growth is what helps you in the long run.

The maximum growth value of each stat is 12, except for potential which can go up to 15. Each sailor specialization has certain stats attached to it, you want these to be 11 or 12. 10 if you have a 12 in the main stat. for example the 10-10 gunners you start with are ok, but 12-10 is even better with 12-11 being ideal. Don't let stats drive you crazy you can (and WILL) spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get two 12-11 acc gunners (unless you buy them) but stats eventually max out so you aren't going to be crippled. My main gunners that I made way back when are 11-10s and I've never felt gimped compared to similarly level players who may have superior growth in their gunners, worst case scenario I max out a few levels after them.

Break down of what each stat does.

Potential - This only matters for your BO it affects how far away he can mark shells. You know those little blue marker dots whenever you fire? in the future you may find that you can put guns on your ship with great range, but if you fire them as far as they can go it won't show you where they landed, if this happens you need to level up your BO a bit.

Accuracy - Determines how likely your shells will land where you want them too, this is known as spread

Reload - fairly obvious like Acc. how fast they reload the guns

Torpedo - how fast you reload torpedos

AAW - When planes fly over enemy ships you'll notice the sailors on board automatically fire the ships machine guns at 'em. That's AAW and this stat affects how often it fires and how powerful it is, however AAW sucks and if you want to shoot down planes you'll want to mount quick firing guns in the T-slots of your ship and man them with reload gunners. So you can pretty much ignore this stat

Repair - How fast your support sailor can repair damage to the ship

Restore - this affects Soft Defense which is sorta complicated, again NF-Guides.com is your friend

Engine - This deals with engine repairs when you take a lot of damage as well as how often you can overheat the engines to gain a speed boost

Aircraft - A good stat for all pilots, affects how far scouts can see as well as how hard bombers and fighters are to shoot down

Fighter - Fighter pilots damage

Bomber - Dive / Torpedo Bomber damage and I think accuracy

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played it for a few minutes, seems pretty cool. I have to play it some more later.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to play this a bit. I never got the free firing cannon thing down... so I suck.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    thats a lot of text. game have any graphics?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited June 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    thats a lot of text. game have any graphics?

there are a few linked screenies in the OP, here are a couple more
    NavyField.gif
    lptjwxfowz.jpg

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Life as a CL is a tough one, especially a KM one.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Color me interested!

Colour me interested if I go Royal Navy!

Accualt on
    edited June 2008
    Glad to see ya'll are enjoying it, now give me some names I can stick on the OP
    I used to play this a bit. I never got the free firing cannon thing down... so I suck.

Manual Aim (yes manual, you'll want to drop the crutch that is the Auto FCS as soon as possible) is a steep hill to climb, and often enjoyment is inverse to your skill with it.

Although that's not to say if you suck at aiming you can't be an asset to your team. The main sidlines to shooting cannons at other things are Anti-Aircraft and carriers. For AA you'll want a fast ship that can hold a decent amount of AA guns (though not necessarily the ones labed AA, there are often better alternatives) and shoot them fast, providing flak cover to protect your team's big boys. There are plenty of low-level ships that can AA very effectively, in fact small faster ships are preferred as you'll spend a lot of time on the front lines where one or two lucky volleys from a battleship will sink you. AA is also the best way to make a lot of money per battle

Aircraft Carriers are a whole different game, you won't be firing cannons often if at all, pretty much everything is launching the right planes for the situation, be it scouting (generally the team that has a better view of the battlefield is going to win), providing fighter's for air cover or using torpedo and dive bombers to take out big targets.

So basically to fill these roles, any nation will work, though some fit in better than others

IJN - the japanese are the way to go if you want to dive into air combat ASAP, they get the Oyodo at around 30. Don't get me wrong, the Oyodo is the weakest Carrier in the game, and at that level your planes are going to be a joke. But you won't care, cause carriers are fun. Japan is also the way to go if you find you really like torps, they're the only nation that gets the ships designed to drop walls of 20+ torps in one go

The other nations can cover all the other roles well, just some will take longer that others. Namely you won't get carriers until around the time you start getting CAs and BBs

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in as Bremen, but I dunno. Things don't seem to be going anywhere fast, from here it looks like I have a few thousand unchanging blitz games in my future.

Bremen on
    edited June 2008
    Bremen wrote: »
    I'm in as Bremen, but I dunno. Things don't seem to be going anywhere fast, from here it looks like I have a few thousand unchanging blitz games in my future.

Yeah the early grind sucks, especially since you have to fight against people with the cool ships you want. The grind to the really fun ships is worth it, but only if you're like me and really enjoy the game for what it is, thus making the grind not feel grindy at all. That said it is a hell of a grind

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Also things really do pick up as you get bigger ships, this is the exp/creds I get from a losing battle in my lvl 65 carrier

lewtz2gp9.jpg

winning usually gives 2x those amounts if I shoot down a decent amount of planes / bomb ships that are 2-3 gold bars higher in rank than me

this is what an especially good winning game looks like, people in BB/Cv5-6s typically get 4-5 times those amounts, so basically don't worry about scaling, it is your friend

pwnedtx9.jpg

Setzer is a player-bought pilot, hence his much higher level, the rest I "birthed" and have level from lvl 1-onward. Also, I have no use for most of those points, if anyone finds themselves intersested in the game and in a point crunch light up the Fleck-signal, I can spare a few million to keep you going until you start getting more points that you can spend, which doesn't take too long

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was going to play this again, so I downloaded it. But I was getting 50 kb/s, so I said fuck that and looked for another download.

I could only find some old version (about 10 versions out-of-date) but it downloaded 4 times faster, and I figured I could just patch it. So I downloaded it. And the executable did nothing: it wouldn't install.

So I guess I'm not playing it now.

Garthor on
    edited June 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    I was going to play this again, so I downloaded it. But I was getting 50 kb/s, so I said fuck that and looked for another download.

I could only find some old version (about 10 versions out-of-date) but it downloaded 4 times faster, and I figured I could just patch it. So I downloaded it. And the executable did nothing: it wouldn't install.

So I guess I'm not playing it now.

did you try the helios DL in the OP? Last time I tried the official site's version it DL'd super slow and was corrupt... which I warned about in the OP when I linked the alt DL, which for me was a consistant 300/kbs, and worked

edit: by randomly searching you run the risk of unwittingly installing a different regions Navy Field (There are 2 other regional versions and they're very different from the US version, though it's easy to grab the wrong one based off a google search)

Go to http://fleethelios.com/dl/ and nowhere else and you'll be fine

the moral: read the OP, I know it's long but I stuck the good DL link within the first few lines

edit: to anyone still fighting the good fight, check area 13 once in awhile for a room titled "Arcadia" I'll semi afk there sometimes and it's the easiest way to add people to the PA clan

NF devs have been upping the importance of clans and fleets lately (a fleet is basically a flag, to use Puzzle Pirates Comparisons, not that anyone will get that ^^. A fleet is made up of a bunch of clans and they can do things like take over harbors and get special event ships if they perform well in server-wide events. And I want those ships!!)

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    I PMed aldo about the description in the free MMO thread, which says the best ships must be bought, this is 100% untrue, and I wanted to stress that the "for real money" ships are at best a crutch designed to relieve the time between major ship upgrades. The truth is, the "bought" ships are pitiful compared to the high level ships you can attain without paying a single dollar, as it stands they are for training purposes for people who like the game but havn't been playing as long as some of the vets.

Basically they can help (depending on Nation, United States I would suggest buying the Premiums if you Like NF, if you went UK? not so much, they dont' need Premium ships (on the other hand the UK gets the Moltke, which is super hax.... if you have one I hate you.

The only worthwhile purhcase off the NF site is the Supscription fee, and in that case it only applies after you get to lvl 30 and decide NF is an MMO you've enjoyed enough to pay for

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    I've heard that the purchased crews or whatever (I haven't played for a while, and I'm not going to pay for it either), are actually fairly useful as well, if you get serious about the game. Most of the people I've heard talk about it buy crews, rather than ships.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited June 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    I've heard that the purchased crews or whatever (I haven't played for a while, and I'm not going to pay for it either), are actually fairly useful as well, if you get serious about the game. Most of the people I've heard talk about it buy crews, rather than ships.

yep, that's correct, a premium ship will eventually become obsolete, a boosted (adds a % to any sailors stats) / premium sailor (lvl 1 bought sailor that starts with the maximum + 1 in whatever skill you buy it for) will stay with you forever and only get more useful as time goes on.

What I like about the real money for better sailors system is it doesn't skew the balance. Premium Sailors didn't come out until I had leveld a decent way into the US ship tree and have no plans to go back and raise a bunch of lvl 1 sailors, the nice thing is this doesn't put me at a significant disadvantage to people who may have done just that, they're just a couple levels above me in terms of sailor stats

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This looks interesting, I'll give it a try.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in as Kajusta.

I still need to patch or whatever, but you know.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited June 2008
    I forgot this when I saw Kajusta online the other day. To add friends, join the PA clan, and send tells in battle you'll need a radio man, which is super easy to get if you know that you need one, or even if you don't it takes no time at all to raise one.

- Get a sailor to level 7
    - Take him off the ship
    - Click the [cls] button to the lower right of his picture
    - turn him into a radio man
    - Stick him in the red circle on the lower left of the shipyard screen whenever you log in to do community related things

Stats mean absolutely nothing to a radio man, so it's not hard to have one ready by your 7th blitz battle. Unless you plan to start a squad / fleet you'll never need to level him beyond lvl 7 (to start a squad / fleet [squads are what we have, 30 people or less, a fleet can participate in wars and take over harbors, and get a customized symbol next to their name, they cost 200k and 1mil respecively and require a lvl 24 / 50 radio man])

edit unrelated: I've been doing some research on the test server, which I think will let you try out the high end ships without having to earn them though hours and hours of NF play.

It's a little convoluted to access but here's an FAQ from the hive of scum and villainy that is the official forums
    Test Server Access FAQ

0) What is the Test Server?

-> The Test Server is a server on which experimental changes are tested before they
    are applied to the normal servers.

---

1) How do I access the Test Server for the first time?

-> In order to access the Test Server, please do exactly the following ONCE, in that order:

A) I assume that you are using a proper version of NF as base... if you are unsure,
    please download http://tinyurl.com/48su6k and reinstall NF using that.

B) Apply http://sdentglobal.nefficient.com/sdenternet/Patch/Patch1213.exe

C) Apply http://sdentglobal.nefficient.com/sdenternet/Patch/Patch1222_Test.exe

D) Run the normal NF Launcher.

E) Log in.

---

2) How do I get back to the Normal Servers?

-> Once you want to retun to the normal servers just apply the Patch1213.exe again
    and use the normal NF Launcher. You might have to select the proper server to log in
    on the login screen again!

---

3) How do I access the Test Server again?

-> If you want to return to the Test Server again, just apply the Patch1222_Test.exe
    again and use the normal NF Launcher.

I haven't tried it yet, too busy grinding towards the Essex, but I at least checked the links and they're active.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Also my info is still the same, please invite me to the new clan.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Also my info is still the same, please invite me to the new clan.

been sending you tells in game, though I know it's tough to notice them mid-battle. Send me a PM next time you're online and I'll jump on and add you

edit: I have a habit of posting random tips on the bottom of unrelated posts in NF threads. Soo.....

It's wise to work on being able to identify a ship by sight. This will be a huge help in the long run.

ex. Dark long ship, roughly BB size, little smaller? that's a US guam, if I'm a Kriegsmarine Captain I know there's no way in hell that thing can shoot as far as I can, but it's 4x faster than me.

thus charging it is a bad idea, and you'll have no problem sinking him before he can get any shots anywhere near you. Even more likely: with decent scouting, (hell, this will happen with crappy scouting) a KM ship can often sink a US ship before they can even see where those shells are coming from

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Whoops, I had it idling, I checked back every so often but never saw anything, so I dunno. Also tried adding you, but that wouldn't go through.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Whoops, I had it idling, I checked back every so often but never saw anything, so I dunno. Also tried adding you, but that wouldn't go through.

I believe adding friends is case sensitive, tomorrow I'll A. test that and B. update the OP to reflect exactly what everyone's ID is.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, if so it's leaf not Leaf.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Is anyone doing anything in this game? I mean I've always played casually.

I've been thinking of getting the premium sailors upgrade. Has anyone done this before? I just want to know if I apply it to my existing sailors, or if I have to start over again.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Is anyone doing anything in this game? I mean I've always played casually.

I've been thinking of getting the premium sailors upgrade. Has anyone done this before? I just want to know if I apply it to my existing sailors, or if I have to start over again.

Premium Sailors start out at level 1 with whichever stat you bought them for 1-higher than you can roll in-game, so a premium bomber will have 13 in bombing to start with.

However Boosted sailor is an upgrade you apply to already existing sailors, I forget the exact amount but it raises all their stats by a certain %. I don't have any premium sailors but I Boosted my gunners and pilots, it's worth it in the sense that they'll always be performing a few levels above what they would be with unboosted stats

edit: I missed the damn july 4-6th double exp weekend ^^

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arise!!! Anybody still playing this?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited December 2009
    i actually reinstalled a about a week ago, haven't been playing much but if we have people in the Fleet online I could potentially come back.

While I'm here... They've changed a bunch of stuff for the better since this thread was active.

Subscription model was changed for the better, now free accounts gain 100% exp / cash instead of 40%, while subscriptions accounts get 150%, so basically half the grind for free :D

The first release of a new nation shipline (the French) is supposedly coming soon. I won't hold my breath for it happeningby the end of the year tho.

There's also some Xmas event coming up that will no doubt involve even more Exp, dunno when that starts

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I too have been playing this again. Ferrat in-game name, currently grinding a KM crew into a Emden for AA whorage(I discovered I enjoy being a AA hoor, but being a UK AA whore is like being a high class call girl with lice and overpowering body odor) while I try to ignore the fact that my UK crew can't hit the broadside of aircraft carrier in the shiny new Heavy Cruiser I blew all my credits on.

Phant on
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    i actually reinstalled a about a week ago, haven't been playing much but if we have people in the Fleet online I could potentially come back.

While I'm here... They've changed a bunch of stuff for the better since this thread was active.

Subscription model was changed for the better, now free accounts gain 100% exp / cash instead of 40%, while subscriptions accounts get 150%, so basically half the grind for free :D

The first release of a new nation shipline (the French) is supposedly coming soon. I won't hold my breath for it happeningby the end of the year tho.

There's also some Xmas event coming up that will no doubt involve even more Exp, dunno when that starts

Confirming that 100% exp/cash is awesome, and makes the grind as a non-sub account way way less painful.
    Also, for the duration of the Christmas season dive bombers are now Santa Sleighs that drop presents on your ass, with EXTREME PREDJUDICE. In addition, shells now appear as christmassy stuff, and the login screen plays 'jingle bells'. Mostly though, the 100% bit is awesome, I no longer am struggling like a mofo just to have enough cred to pay for the next ship up the line when my BO can use it.

Phant on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nice! I'm re-subbing on the 24th when I get paid, so Ill be around over the Christmas holiday. I was part of the fleet. I'm excited for less grinding, I want to get past cruisers for once.

webguy20 on
    edited December 2009
    Christ it is nearly impossible to download the client from anywhere. Download.com, the ftp off the site. I only get like 12k a second and then it times out. Damned annoying.

webguy20 on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This game has always kind of peeked my interest a little. But i've never tried it...You guys all playing? I may try it out and play casually.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I recently installed this after seeing the thread pop up and have been having some fun over the past two days.

Having only played in the past very briefly, the change to free account XP is pretty awesome and it's nice to feel like I'm actually progressing. The comparisons to a large scale gunbound w/ boats are pretty apt too.

We'll see how playing the same map over and over again stays interesting, but I'd really like to at least get to 60 and try out a decent CV.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I'm having fun. I got my premium up and running, 10 bucks for a month isn't bad. getting 5k experience in my Cleveland is pretty fun. Shooting for a level a night which should be doable pretty easy. I'm at 44 and need to hit 48 to get my Baltimore, the heavy cruiser for USA. Gonna be playing a lot over the Christmas holiday, Webguy20 in game. Flecko runs the PA fleet, PM him and he can add you.

webguy20 on
    edited December 2009
    Free premium subscriptions for all players! Jan 16th through the 31st. Woo!

webguy20 on
    edited December 2009
    Awesome! That'll rock to help get me through the late 30's i should be by then.

And this is a kind of silly question, but how do I add you guys to my friend list anyways?

My radioman is only the basic lvl 6, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I just can't really figure out this archaic chat interface :P

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited December 2009
    there's a short guide to using the radio man in the post after the OP. My only major complaint has always been that's finding and talking to people is a puzzle game in itself

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Well, now that the steam sales have been dying down, I've gotten back to grinding up my sailors in an attempt to reach carriers. The only problem is my BO's 49 and I've only got 1/3 of the cash for a CV, haha.

I got 4 of the +10 vet increases, and 2 of the +100 experts from random drops, but I have no idea how much they're going for in the current economy and if I can even sell them.

I've been rolling some +12 base neutrals, but the market seems very slow there as well.

Guess it's back to AA whorage and Blitz :)

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • SilkSilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fired up my account after about a year break, bought a premium sub for a month, and got my BO from 68-74 in my Dunk over the past week, but the grind is getting to me already...of course with each level, there is a larger exp requirement, and now, I think it would take me 2 hours a day for 2 weeks to get even close to 81 for the Hood.

Also, it seems like the playerbase has pretty much all moved up into BS/CV (or all the lower level players stopped playing) so most GB games are nearly pure BS/CV fights with a little aa support and subs thrown in to the mix. I miss the old days of lots of DD/CL running around GBs.

On another note, hedgehogs rock, I've had a sub shoot at me, and I launch the hedgehogs at the spot I think the sub is at, and often it's a one shot kill. Best use I can find for my back slots on the Dunk.

Silk on