As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pretty RPGs to Push it to the Limit

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    Speaking of STALKER. Why not STALKER?

Also, there is Vampire. It's not eyerapingly pretty but it is fucking awesome.
    I didn't even know it was on Steam until today. I passed it up when I heard about the abundance of bugs, but it sounds like the fan patch fixes lots of those. Do the Vampire: Masquerade: Bloodlines patches for the CD version work on the Steam version?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm...

KOTOR

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Guild Wars, (maybe)

NWN 2

Annnnnd...

Oblivion. Seriously, he's a fucking moron if he doesn't get it. Levelling system can be fixed by mods.

Wallhitter on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What's sad is that even as completely bug-ridden and unoptimized as Gothic 3 is, it's still about 500 billion times more fun and interesting to play than Oblivion.

Tzen on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is Gothic 3 still as unoptimized as it was at release?

Silpheed on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tzen wrote: »
    What's sad is that even as completely bug-ridden and unoptimized as Gothic 3 is, it's still about 500 billion times more fun and interesting to play than Oblivion.

Except for the degree to which that's absurd and patently false, I agree.

Gothic III was a lot like Oblivion, except with shitty VA, shitty animations, shitty combat, a fairly small world, uninteresting story, and the most uneven difficulty I've ever seen in an rpg.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited April 2007
    Oblivion was a lot like Gothic III, except with shitty inhuman faces, shitty animations, shitty combat, a pointlessly huge and completely redundant world, uninteresting story, and the most uneven difficulty I've ever seen in an rpg.

Fixed.

Tzen on
  • f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    Do the Vampire: Masquerade: Bloodlines patches for the CD version work on the Steam version?

According to posts on the PlanetVampire forum, yes they do.

f-k-t on
  • SulSul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    sooooo

oblivion on the 360= nerfed?

seriously? that may, single-handedly, killed my desire for a 360. really. really.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sul wrote: »
    sooooo

seriously? that may, single-handedly, killed my desire for a 360. really. really.

I find it works fine and people bitch too much about what they think is a problem with the levelling system.
    I'm about 40 hours in, and uh... it's fine so far. I've noticed some kooky bugs, but nothing that's broken a quest or anything. Though I hear that there's a problem with the theives guild. Damn I hope I don't run into it.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    sooooo

I find it works fine and people bitch too much about what they think is a problem with the levelling system.
    I'm about 40 hours in, and uh... it's fine so far. I've noticed some kooky bugs, but nothing that's broken a quest or anything. Though I hear that there's a problem with the theives guild. Damn I hope I don't run into it.

I want to like the game, and I've tried and tried to play it and enjoy it. However, each time I've run into a wall with the difficulty. Running away from anything you run into is not fun. And shit chasing you FOREVER after you ride by it on a horse is really lame, too.

Tzen on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    System Shock 2 (though it's more actiony) is a must, there are high resolution texture packs and such available also. Fallout, its sequel, and Fallout Tactics are also great games.

Make sure he gets Hellgate as soon as it's available.

Fantastic game. Unless he is running a 486, I don't think it will really push his system though.

I think all the recent ones have been hit.

System Intensive
    Oblivion
    Gothic III
    NWN2

Somewhat
    Vampire
    Guild Wars
    Jade Empire
    Dungeon Siege II
    Spell Force 2(sort of)
    Phantasy Star Universe

No clue
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Fable 2, Dragon Age and some others might push it a bit more. Some of these are system hogs but don't really look all that great. From a pure fun perspective, I'd probably grab Oblivion and Vampires.

solsovly on
  • SulSul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hmm...my created class in morrowind was 'sneaky bastard'...so a problem with the thieves guildmight be of consequense.

does the leveling system mean younever get to be godly? because...that is broken in my opinion. if i play my cards right...50 hours in (depending on how long main quests and all that are,) i should be pretty damn confident that only mean lookin mother$%##$ are worth my consideration.

for me, morrowind was all about sniping fools with a poison arrow 100 yards off and watching them die mid sprint.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion reminiscent of Morrowind.

The sole two games I'm capable of recommending are NWN2 and Oblivion+Shivering Isles.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »
    Dìrhael wrote: »
    As opposed to what? Morrowind was mostly bland and ugly, Oblivion was bright and beautiful.
    Morrowind was anything but bland and ugly. On a technical level it might not be much to look at today, but the style of it was and still is great. The unique landscapes made me completely loose myself into its world, something Oblivion never managed to do. To better explain it, for me the world of Morrowind was like a Grimm Brothers tale while Oblivion felt more like the Disney version.

I guess to each their own. I mean, I liked Oblivion, but largely, I didn't care for the landscape, and felt like it was often far too empty.

I love Morrowind's ash deserts, rolling plains, and marshes with gigantic mushrooms towering over the trees, but I also enjoyed the beautiful fields of wildflowers, the picturesque mountain valleys, and the luscious green forests of Oblivion.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thnx for the input and it all has been told to my brother. I really needed help on this since Western RPGs really aren't my thing. The only exceptions would be the KotOR games and Diablo. I still need to tinker around with Oblivion to get the optimal playing experience out of it.

Crap, now I'm interested in Guild Wars. Could someone explain to me what Nightfall and Factions are? Are they expansions, new games, different versions of the originals? I'd really love to know.

I own both KotORs and I'm loving them but my brother isn't interested in them.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Thnx for the input and it all has been told to my brother. I really needed help on this since Western RPGs really aren't my thing. The only exceptions would be the KotOR games and Diablo. I still need to tinker around with Oblivion to get the optimal playing experience out of it.

Crap, now I'm interested in Guild Wars. Could someone explain to me what Nightfall and Factions are? Are they expansions, new games, different versions of the originals? I'd really love to know.

Nightfall and Factions are stand alone expansions. If you have the original (Prophecies) you can bring your character into either Night or Factions, but its also possible to make an original character in either and do the same thing. Nightfall is kind of influenced by African themes, Factions is based off of ancient China.

Nightfall is also the most recent, and supposed to be the best by far, from what I've heard.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

Nightfall and Factions are stand alone expansions. If you have the original (Prophecies) you can bring your character into either Night or Factions, but its also possible to make an original character in either and do the same thing. Nightfall is kind of influenced by African themes, Factions is based off of ancient China.

Nightfall is also the most recent, and supposed to be the best by far, from what I've heard.

Soooooooo...

If I was interested in Guild Wars I should get Nightfall only?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

Soooooooo...

If I was interested in Guild Wars I should get Nightfall only?
    I think it depends on what you want. If you're looking for a graphical showpeice, go with Nightfall. I personally think that the original game is probably the most well-rounded and best place to start, but you really can start with any of the three and expand outwards into the other two as you see fit.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    +1 to The Witcher, when the hell is it going to come out ?

Edit: I decided to check the official site for the first time in awhile, it's out September this year ! So far. :(

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Get STALKER. It's almost what a Fallout FPS should be. Unfortunately, you can count on Bethesda ruining Fallout 3 after seeing that shitfest they called Oblivion. I do not look forward to Fallout with a bunch of unintentionally hideous NPCs walking around shouting terrible dialogue voiced by the six worst voice actors I've had the misfortune of hearing, Jean Luc Picard excepted, and trudging through it all with utterly terrible gameplay and a system hog of a game engine.

STALKER has a wonky interface, but the gameplay is pretty solid. It's the best game I've played in quite a while, actually. It's not really an RPG though, but more along the lines of Deus Ex minus skill points and a bit less linear. You can do a fair bit of wandering around while ignoring the storyline, though not to the degree of Morrowind or Oblivion. To get to certain areas, you do have to do some required missions.

JWFokker on
    edited April 2007
    And the requisite STALKER screens:

xrscreen011600xg0.jpg
    xrscreen031600do9.jpg
    xrscreen051600hx9.jpg
    xrscreen121600zm4.jpg
    xrscreen131600cc9.jpg

JWFokker on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spoiler that shit.

Couscous on
    edited April 2007
    The images are from the fucking official website. It's not showing anything important.

JWFokker on
    edited April 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »
    The images are from the fucking official website. It's not showing anything important.

He means to spoiler it so that forum-goers won't have to h-scroll unless they want to.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited April 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    +1 to The Witcher, when the hell is it going to come out ?

Edit: I decided to check the official site for the first time in awhile, it's out September this year ! So far. :(

To witch or not to witch? You could do plenty of witching in that game if only you could find out which witch to witch.

And yes I love the PA comics that make fun of the name. For more fun, replace the W's in witch with b's.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • PhilthePillPhilthePill Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I could be wrong, but I think someone just raped my H-scroll.

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

So thats what that is. Kudos to however did it cause my H-scroll does not break easily.

Also, how is STALKER anyway? It looks cool enough.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    sooooo

As I understand it, the 360 version is just fine. But the PC version ends up getting more attention/accolades because of the mods. Awesome mods. Simple as that. Modding is somewhat engrained in the Elder Scrolls fanbase at this point.

Re: Guild Wars: Yes, start with Nightfall if you're buying only one of them. If you buy the others later, they will simply add more stuff for your existing character(s) to do and get.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited April 2007
    Axen wrote: »

So thats what that is. Kudos to however did it cause my H-scroll does not break easily.

Pretty awesome. I'm just taking a quick break before going back to it. It's quite hard at the beginning, but the further you go the better it gets. If this trend continues much longer, I may very well nominate it for a place in my favorite games of all time.

JWFokker on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Pretty awesome. I'm just taking a quick break before going back to it. It's quite hard at the beginning, but the further you go the better it gets. If this trend continues much longer, I may very well nominate it for a place in my favorite games of all time.

Is it at all like Deus Ex? For some reason it reminds me of Deus Ex just in premise alone.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited April 2007
    In terms of mechanics it's a lot like Deus Ex, but it's much less linear. You don't go from one level to the next like Deus Ex, but you can't wander from one side of the "world" to the other like Morrowind. That said, you can travel back and forth between most areas as you wish. There are a couple that have to be "unlocked" by doing some of the storyline missions. As for similarities to Deus Ex, you have an inventory where every item weighs a certain amount, which affects how far you can sprint before getting exhausted, you have weapons and armor with different stats and resistances, artifacts that augment these stats (though not without penalties), lots of NPCs to talk to, a couple factions you can choose between joining. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. The one thing it doesn't have is a strong narrative like Deus Ex. I've always liked that game's storyline and Stalker is somewhat lacking in that regard but mostly makes up for it with awesome, oppressive, post-apocalyptic-like atmosphere. If you liked the original Deus Ex, I highly recommend Stalker. It'll be right up your alley.

JWFokker on
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

After five years of waiting, I was incredibly disappointed. It's worth a try, but I'd recommend waiting out the patches because the launch is hideously broken and unfinished. Nothing like being forced into the worst ending because of non-functioning quest triggers!

Thello on
    edited April 2007
    Thello wrote: »

After five years of waiting, I was incredibly disappointed. It's worth a try, but I'd recommend waiting out the patches because the launch is hideously broken and unfinished. Nothing like being forced into the worst ending because of non-functioning quest triggers!

I've had a single crash so far (because I kept fiddling with hardware settings while playing) and the only bug I've run into was when the sniper at the Freedom camp shot at me while I was inside the camp even though I was neutral. A reload of the save game fixed that. I wouldn't call it hideously broken and unfinished.

JWFokker on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Unfortunately, you can count on Bethesda ruining Fallout 3 after seeing that shitfest they called Oblivion.

O_o

edit: for a second there I thought I had somehow wandered into NMA...

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
    edited April 2007
    After Morrowind I was quite optimistic about the Fallout 3 news. It wasn't until I played Oblivion that my outlook changed so drastically.

JWFokker on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    After Morrowind I was quite optimistic about the Fallout 3 news. It wasn't until I played Oblivion that my outlook changed so drastically.

I'm glad nothing crawled into my ass and died.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sepah wrote: »
    Ooooh, I know. Might and Magic, Dark Messiah. There's a demo on Steam if you want to try it out first.

Aww, beat'd.
    It looks almost exactly like Oblivion to me, but from what I can remember, it was released a few months after Oblivion, so maybe some minor quibbles he has will be non-present in Dark Messiah. (These two games are not in the same series, they are just two very similar games.)

Mitsuhide on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hellgate.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dark Messiah and Oblivion are nothing alive aside from a fantasy setting and a first person perspective

bloodyroarxx on