As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Life as a Trailer: Let's Play Super Robot Wars W!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Ohhhhh, were the yellow units that showed up Evilouders? It's been awhile since I've seen Orgun.

Better my situation.

I've never actually watched the show. :P

Ok, yeah they are
    tomadetonatororgun01405.jpg

There's only one in the first episode. There's a few in the last episode. Guess that's why I forgot about them. It's only three 1hour episodes, worth watching.

I forgot I-ZACK is from Orgun too.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This has been an entertaining read so far. I'd heard about this series in the past, but never really looked into them.

Is there any chance of them being translated into english? I know it's not likely (getting the rights to mecha designs from a dozen different shows would be a nightmare), but I'm just curious.

see317 on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    see317 wrote: »

Is there any chance of them being translated into English? I know it's not likely (getting the rights to mecha designs from a dozen different shows would be a nightmare), but I'm just curious.

No chance outside of fan translations. The licensing situation alone is a nightmare.

Not only that, but many of them have series that have never come out of Japan

There are currently only two SRWs that have been officially translated. The Original Generation games, a spin off staring only original characters, no anime characters at all. Then there's Endless Frontier, a weird Alternate Universe RPG that's just odd (yet amusing)

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Original Generation games are awesome though. Most of the Banpresto Originals are at least equally as cool as any anime mecha anyway.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Obligatory post of the best, the. BEST. moment in Original Generations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjJkYyMbLA

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fuuuuck yessss, Sword of the Cosmos. Thrudgelmir is the most badass Original of all time. Of all time.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is... is Chang Wufei in this game? Please please please say yes. He was my favorite Gundam when I was a youngster watching Gundam Wing.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, most SRWs are easier then the average Fire Emblem. Some of the early games like 3, F/FFinal, and most recently A Portable (That game is a nightmare) are exceptions.
    I'm not sure I would agree with this. OK, I only played the two Original Generations games, but the only reason why SRW could be considered easier is because it doesn't have permadeath. However, the games do throw end-game bosses at you in the middle of the game and expect you to deal with them.

At least Fire Emblem plays fair.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Two big differences between Fire Emblem and SRW that have stuck out to me:

1. Movement is much more limited in Fire Emblem. Units are slower generally, obstacles and difficult terrain are a big deal. IN SRW most units have a pretty large movement range, uncrossable obstacles are rare, and it's difficult for either side to create chokepoints or block access to a certain area with unit positioning.

2. Support (healing/resupply) units in SRW have pretty high evasion and/or defense, so they can go out onto the front lines and survive. If Fire Emblem healers are positioned where physical attackers can get to them, they will die quickly.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FE healers eventually evolve into offensive casters, balancing it out.

And most pure support units (i.e. buffs with no heals) in FE games are ridiculously evasive, because that's the only thing they can do.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Maybe it's just paranoia, but I'm also pretty wary of leaving offensive magic users open to physical attacks.

Come to think of it, that's probably why my magic users were relatively underleveled in the Blazing Sword endgame...

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Maybe it's just paranoia, but I'm also pretty wary of leaving offensive magic users open to physical attacks.

Come to think of it, that's probably why my magic users were relatively underleveled in the Blazing Sword endgame...
    Well, most mages compensate by becoming dodging machines. Much like Weisritter.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    A late Christmas present!

Update!
    000135.png
    Another day, another stage to do.

000136.png
    Upgrading Blade and Blue Earth. Evade for both, HP for Blade to make HP Regen more useful, and weapons for Blue Earth because, honestly, they're a little weak.

000137.png
    The time for the mission to take down Nergal's ship is now, there's a breifing coming up. Kazuma isn't worried much, he's sure that Valstork and its current crew can handle pretty much anything.

000138.png
    Meanwhile, down on Earth, Corbett is having a little chat with Misumaru about the whole Nadesico issue. The ship has radical new technology that could turn Earth's situation around.

CorbettFace.png
    If you ask me, you're going soft on this whole issue because your daughter is-

ForrestonFace.pngNow now. Yurika Misumaru did graduate top of her class in the academy, winning almost every single tactical sim she performed in.

CorbettFace.pngPssh, no videogame trained girl can do much.

The three officers argue over various issues for a while. Corbett, in particular, doesn't like how GGG and other civilian organizations are allowed to have mecha. The Nadesico is a mere symptom of this problem. If Nergal's allowed to rebel like this, the authority of the Federation Military might collapse. Such a dangerous ship. and it is being crewed by supposedly the best of the best.

000139.png
    Meanwhile, onboard the Nadesico, the Captain was having a discussion with the crew.

YurikaFace.pngAkito, darling. Do you think perhaps once we finish this we can get married?

AkitoFace.pngNo! I just-

YurikaFace.pngOh I know how modest you are, you were so brave when you faught off the Radam for me! <3

AkitoFace.pngThat wasn't it! Look I-

NadesicoGaiFace.pngHave sworn an oath between men! By piloting my Geki Ganger he has become on of Earth's Defenders!

AkitoFace.pngThat's not it either! Look just let-

SeiyaFace.pngDamn it Yamada, it's not from that cartoon of yours! It's an Aestivalis!

AkitoFace.pngCan I please tal-

HakuraFace.pngGekgangar? I think I remember that cartoon. Aren't you a little old for that?

AkitoFace.pngHello can I-

MegumiFace.pngThere are Federation Military Officers contacting us.

AkitoFace.pngWhy won't anybody listen to me?

RuriFace.png...morons.

The Nadesico crew can be charitably described as... dysfunctional. After all, Nergal recruited the best of the best. Even if that came with... quirks.
    000140-Episode3.png
    Episode 3: Mission: "Destroy the Nadesico."

000140.png
    [strike]Jiro Yamada[/strike] Gai Daiouji gives Akito some words of encouragement as the Federation forces come.

000141.png
    Ruri, quite possibly the only sane member of the crew, informs everyone that the Federation Millitary has shown up.

000142.png
    Well, there we are. A whole bunch of them. The feds must be serious, they've deployed some heavy duty Mobile Armors.

FedGruntFace.pngAttention Nadesico! You are hereby ordered to surrender to the Federation Millitary!

YurikaFace.pngI'm so sorry, but we're not surrendering. So please go home. I'm sure you have better things then chase us. Like perhaps fight the Radam. Ok? ^_^

FedGruntFace.pngThat arrogance! How dare she?

MuFace.pngWell, what should we do now sir?

FedGruntFace.pngTeach them a lesson in respect!

MuFace.pngNot exactly much to respect though. Very well Sir.

000143.png
    Gai and Akito are deployed, because obviously there's going to be a fight.

000144.png
    Here's the Nadesico. It's pretty powerful all around, it's Distortion Field barrier stacks with its high HP and defense to make it pretty hard to kill. And its attacks are pretty strong. The [G] weapons are unique to Nadesico. They're "Gravity" weapons that penetrate some barriers. Nadesico has two pilots, Yurika and Ruri.

000145.png
    Here's Akito in the Aestivalis Zero-G frame. Like, the Nadesico it has a Disortion Field. The best part is that all of its attacks are [P]. Akiro knows Focus and Alert.

000146.png
    Gai is largely the same. He's a bit better at Melee, but worse at Range. Gai knows Guts and Invincible. Oh yeah, dispute both Aestvalises having the same abilities, Gai's has different names. That's because Gai renamed them into Gekiganger references. :P

000147.png
    One more thing about Aestvalises is that they don't have internal power sources. They're directly powered by the Nadesico. This is shown by that yellow grid surrounding the ship when you choose to move an Aestvalis. If the mech is inside the range, they get fully recover all EN at the start of each turn. There's a second reason to keep them near the ship.

000148.png
    Relationship bonuses! Characters with bonds of friendship, rivaly, and love, actually gain gameplay bonuses if they're next to each other. Circle is Friendship, while heart is Love. Friendship gives bonuses to hit, evade, critical rate. While Love gives bonuses to damage. Gai has friendship with Akito, so he gets the friendship bonus when Akito is next to him. Yurika, on the other hand, has the Love bonus. So as long as Akito is next to her, she'll do more damage. And hey, the Nadesico units need to be close anyways so there's nothing but advantages.

000149.png
    Akito attacks! Charging forward, sounding strangely like Shinji Ikari as he screams.

000150.png
    He stabs a Mobile Armor in the face (I think thats its face.)

000151.png
    The Feddie fires some missiles, but Akito cuts them down with Sword Cut.

000152.png
    Gai's turn!

NadesicoGaiFace.pngLet's go! Geki Gangar!

SeiyaFace.pngI hate him.

000153.png

NadesicoGaiFace.pngGekigan Lancer!

000154.png
    RuriFace.pngCaptain, some missiles have scratched our paint job.

000155.png
    YurikaFace.pngFire the Gravity Blaster!

HakuraFace.pngBut Captain it's just one enemy.

YurikaFace.pngFire the Gravity Blaster.

000156.png
    Overkill. When you really want something dead.

000157.png
    Normally, Nadesico's missiles wouldnt do that much damage. But Yurika's Love Bonus is in effect.

YurikaFace.pngThe power of our love defeats all!

AkitoFace.pngI don't- *sigh* Never mind

000158.png
    But wait, there's more! Allied units are showing up.

000159.png
    Meet the Buttercup Squad, three expert pilots.

000160.png
    Ryoko, who's probably the most powerful of the trio. She has a Love bonus with Akito, to boot. (Yes, Akito's a bit of a chick magnet.) She knows Invincible and Focus.

000161.png
    Hikaru, who as a geeky girl in glasses is the loved by nerds everywhere. She knows Focus and Alert.

000162.png
    Finally, Izumi. She tells terrible puns. All the time. She knows Daunt, which reduces an enemy's will by 10, and Focus.

You probably noticed something new. The [+] attacks are combo attacks. They can only be used when the involed units are next to each other. (They don't even appear otherwise). They're powerful, ignore barriers and Support Defence. But they drain energy from all mechs involved.

But remember what I said about Aestvalises regaining their energy? Yeah, as long as I keep all the Nadesico units close, I can use their most powerful attacks with abandon.

000163.png
    I move all three down, but and Ryoko gets close enough to attack.

000164.png
    She then gets a face full of missiles.

000165.png
    Izumi attacks!

000166.png
    And misses.

He counters!

000167.png
    And misses.

IzumiFace.pngWell that was a missed opportunity.

FedGruntFace.png*groan*

000168.png

NadesicoGaiFace.pngGekigan Lancer!

HikaruFace.pngAren't they supposed to do different attacks in each episode?

NadesicoGaiFace.pngLady, I use what I can.

000169.png

NadesicoGaiFace.pngYou can do it, Akito! Reach into your burning soul!

AkitoFace.pngGe-ge-Gekigan G-gun?

NadesicoGaiFace.pngNoooo! You need more passion!

000170.png
    Nadesico takes out another one, without any hot blooded yelling.

000171.png
    Of course, then something shows up!

000172.png000173.png
    Well, crap. It's the Jovians. Not good.

000174.png
    It's the Valstork! That is good!

FedGruntFace.pngEveryone, pull back!

MuFace.pngBut what about the Nadesico?

FedGruntFace.pngLet them deal with those freaky lizard aliens!

000175.png
    The Federation Soliders leave the Nadesico to the Jovians, cowards.

Blessfield decides that helping the Nadesico against the Jovians is more important. The honor of the spaceman, always help those in need.

000176.png
    Let's fight some aliens!

000177.png
    Shihomi casts Trust, because the Nadesico took a little bit of a beating.

000178.png
    A Jovian Drone attacks Izumi! But fails!

000179.png
    Izumi smashes it with her Field Lance.

IzumiFace.pngDo you get my point?

This repeats itself four times, by the way. Each little grunt rushing at Izumi, only to die due to Lance wounds.
    A.I in this game isn't too bright.

000180.png
    Finally, one attacks a different target, Kazuma.

000181.png
    It uh, doesn't end too well either.

000182.png
    The battle is in our favor, but the Nadesico is low on energy. Luckily, I have the Blue Earth!

Y000183.png
    Yurika, having killed more things then anybody else on this stage, can afford the 10 Will cost.

000184.png
    AkitoFace.pngGekigan shoot!

NadesicoGaiFace.pngThat's the spirit! Feel the burning of your soul!

000185.png
    RyokoFace.pngHey, that sounds fun, let's try it!

IzumiFace.pngSure, why not.

RyokoFace.pngIzumiFace.pngGekigan Shoot!

000186.png

000187.png

TekkamanBladeFace.pngTekka-slash!

NoalFace.pngAkiFace.png......

TekkamanBladeFace.pngWhat? They were doing it. I just... I'm sorry.

000188.png

KazumaFace.pngHeat Edge Exploder!

MihiroFace.png...what?

KazumaFace.pngThat's actually the attack's name. Don't ask me why.

000189.png
    Victory is all but assured now, I'd say.

000190.png

NadesicoGaiFace.pngIt's time to unleash my finisher! Gekigan... Flare!

000191.png
    Akito destroys another one with "Gekigan Shoot."

000192.png
    Then, reinforcements! Mu la Flaga desides he'd rather face punishment then leave people to fight the Jovians alone. After all, is it not the millitary's job to protect civilians?

000193.png
    Mu here is an excellent pilot. He's good enough that even this less then stellar unit is good with him. He knows Focus and Alert.

000194.png
    Next, I do something odd.

000195.png
    I focus on weakening enemies, but not killing them.

000196.png
    Because Mu here is the one who will kill the remaining five enemies.

000197.png
    Ouch, Mu's in a fragile unit. So he can't take another hit.

000198.png
    This one is ready to be blown up. The reason Mu is killstealing right now is because, like most video games, Super Robot Wars W has secrets. Secret pilots, and secret mechs. This stage is one of two keys to one of those secrets. I need as many kills with Mu as possible. Because Mu appears in two stages in the first half, and then doesn't appear again until the second half. By then it's too late for the secret. So we have to go out of our way if we want to unlock it.

000199.png
    I cast Trust on Mu, to heal him up.

000200.png
    And then get him his first kill.

000201.png
    I cast Accel just in case Mu needs HP or EN any time soon.

000202.png
    I then finish the work of softening up the Jovians.

000203.png

RyokoFace.pngHey you! In the R-1 knock off! Help me out here!

KazumaFace.pngHey! Valhawk knocks off nothing!

000204.png
    IzumiFace.pngHeh. I'm having a Field day with this.

000205.png
    IzumiFace.pngI like the cut of your jib!

QuatreFace.pngI think I just threw up blood.

000206.png
    IzumiFace.pngLooks like it needs to refl-

RuriFace.pngIf you dare finish that pun I will personally activate the self-distruct mechanism on your Aestivalis.

IzumiFace.png.....

RuriFace.pngGood girl.

000207.png
    Now, I take several more turns then needed feeding Mu kills.

000208.png
    Finally, they're all dead.

000209.png
    Mission complete!

000210.png
    With the Jovians gone, Mu leaves. He's pretty cool.

000211.png
    Oh, wait. Right, we're supposed to shoot down the Nadesico.

000212.png
    And some millitary people are here to watch

JunFace.pngYurkia! Are you OK?

AkitoFace.pngWho's he?

YurikaFace.pngHe's Jun, my best friend. ^_^

JunFace.png.....

DuoFace.pngSucks to be that guy.

The millitary isn't going to take no for an answer. The options are, either the Nadesico surrenders, Valstork shoots it down, or they'll do it themselves.

BlessfieldFace.pngWell, Miss, will you please come back to earth?

YurikaFace.pngSorry, no. Thank you for asking so nicely though.

BlessfieldFace.pngI see. Well, I tried. OK Kazuma, shoot it down.

KazumaFace.pngJunFace.pngWhat!?

BlessfieldFace.pngYou heard me. Don't worry, nobody will die.

KazumaFace.png But how can you-

BlessfieldFace.pngI am your father and you will listen to me!

KazumaFace.pngHow can you just-

BlessfieldFace.pngOne!

KazumaFace.pngOK! I'll do it... well, he did say nobody would die, so I'll trust him...

JunFace.pngI won't let you!

KazumaFace.pngLook, I'm sorry, but he started counting to three. I don't know what would happen if he reached three, I don't want to know. So yeah.

000213.png
    Kazuma fires! Hitting where Mihiro had aimed at.

000214.png

YurikaFace.pngWhere were we hit?

RuriFace.pngWe were not struck in any vital-

000215.png
    000216.png

KazumaFace.png...........D:

000217.png
    Seeing the Nadesico blasted away, the millitary leaves. (Jun was caught in the crossfire and vanished with the ship)

KazumaFace.pngWhat the hell dad!? You said that nobody would die! You said that-

000218.png

KazumaFace.png....that, that.... what?

000219.png
    It turns out that the mission wasn't really to shoot down the Nadesico. It was to make it look like they had. There was a flare attached to the ship, with Mihiro's guidance Kazuma had shot that. This had all been detailed in the meeting. But Kazuma was late, and missed that part. Of course, nobody told him the truth. They figured he'd be more convincing ignorant.

000220.png
    The Nadesico calls Valstork, Yurika giving thanks.

Of course, then Prospector, their manager, comes on. It would seem that the Nadesico had been damaged by Kazuma's show. Fortunately, he's willing to be forgiving since they just helped him! He'd have them shoulder still some of the costs, however. 30 thousand.

Which just so happens to be the amount this job paid.

ProspectorFace.pngThank you for your time, Mr. Ardygun.

BlessfieldFace.png....that man is pure evil.

Blessfiel desides to head to Earth. He's going to wring a higher pay out of Freeman.

000221.png
    Jun's decided to join the Nadesico crew! He figures it'll be more rewarding then military grunt work.

NadesicoGaiFace.pngWonderful kid! Wonderful! Just be careful. You know how it is. A minor character suddenly gets lines and motivations! Then, BAM! They die. So try not to hog the spotlight too much, OK?

JunFace.pngWhat?

AkitoFace.pngJust ignore him.

000222.png
    On the Moon, in an office, some people are having a little chat about Nergal. Nergal fully intends to sell the results of their research of Martian technology to the Federation. At high prices, of course. After all, the entire millitary isn't under his thumb yet. This annoys the other speaker, to put it midly.

000223.png
    Of course, these two don't care. With the help of Freeman, Nergal's plans can begin in earnest. Everything is falling into place.

Pata on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only thing I know about Nadesico is that apparently it was a really badass show with a really retarded ending.

And Gundam SEED? Let's not go there, please.

None the less, the merry continuity comrades seem to be battling well.

So who are the over arching villains in this game? Have we met them yet?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do you know why Mwu got so many kills?

Because he makes the impossible possible.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do you know why Mwu got so many kills?

Because he makes the impossible possible.

Does he see the invisible, touch the untouchable, and break the unbreakable?
    ROW ROW, FIGHT DA POWAH

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh, you mean the normal, rational, badass human character who can compete with genetically engineered idiot emo teens who is then killed off, and then is resurrected as a lapdog for space Hitler for most of the sequel series?

That Mwu?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    More like purple lipstick racist illuminati leader, but yeah, him.

The Hawk of Endymion, killed five GINNs in his Mobius. The only naturally birthed "Newtype" in the Cosmic Era.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The only thing I know about Nadesico is that apparently it was a really badass show with a really retarded ending.

Given Gundam SEED's large popularity, it's more or less repalced UC Gundam as far as the handheld SRWs appear to be concerned.

At least SRWZ achieved the task of making GSD's story bearable.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I wonder... does favouriting Gundam Wing also boost Mu (and possibly any other SEED characters that may or may not show up)? Or is Mu doomed to a life of having no favourite bonuses in this game?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    man... SRW... I haven't touched an SRW game ever since I finished Alpha 3... for the fifth time. I think Touma and DaiRaiOh have enough skillpoints pumped into them to kick the snot out of everything without needing to spend money on upgrades...

Always wanted to get into J and W though, on account of the inclusion of Tekkaman Blade, Detonator Orgun, and FMP... maybe I'll have to somehow locate a copy...

Akilae on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, Hot Blooded Burning Passion!, the only fuel needed by any mech pilot.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't forget the LCL.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And in the case of real robots, copious amounts of angst and WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And human lives.

For bokurano anyway.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I wonder... does favouriting Gundam Wing also boost Mu (and possibly any other SEED characters that may or may not show up)? Or is Mu doomed to a life of having no favourite bonuses in this game?

SEED and Wing are different shows, so Mu doesn't have any favorite bonuses now...but we'll have an opportunity to pick another three favorite series around the halfway point of the game.

Andy Joe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Given Gundam SEED's large popularity, it's more or less repalced UC Gundam as far as the handheld SRWs appear to be concerned.

At least SRWZ achieved the task of making GSD's story bearable.

I'm not bitter, can't you tell?

I'M NOT. HONEST.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can we please not have complaining about shows in the thread.

Pata on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm just happy that Mwu is in the game. He was by far my favorite SEED character.

I consider Destiny to be a bad dream that never really happened, now may we never talk about it again.

Seriously, though, blocking an anti-ship cannon with your massive balls, swollen with manliness pretty much qualifies him as badass enough to pilot a super robot.

Really nice LP, Pata, I'm enjoying it!

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can we please not have complaining about shows in the thread.

Sorry, I was just trying to indicate who the most expendible members of this super star squad should be.

Mwu can stay, the others can die in a fire.
    Kainy wrote: »
    I'm just happy that Mwu is in the game. He was by far my favorite SEED character.

I consider Destiny to be a bad dream that never really happened, now may we never talk about it again.

Really nice LP, Pata, I'm enjoying it!

I agree with these statements.

From other Gundam continuities, I wouldn't mind Zechs and the Talgeese showing up.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    000224.png

It's been a week, but it's Update time.
    000225.png
    Upgrades all around. Energy for pretty much everyone. More evade for Blade and Valhawk, and Weapons get another boost on Blue Earth.

000226.png
    The Gundams get a little less, with Deathscythe just getting energy and Sandrock's evade being boosted. Still good.

Next stage time!

000227.png
    Kazuma's recording the Ardygun's latest financial screwing over. He's not exactly pleased about how everyone treats him. He wishes he had jumped ship and gone with the Nadesico. After all, seeing Mars would be a great treat for him. Mars is as far as humanity has gone in the universe. That'd be a great place for a Trailer.

Kazuma remembers reading that the solar system used to be bigger, but they eventually decided to reduce the number of planets from nine, to eight. That's fine with him. It just means that the universe beyond Earth's home is that much bigger. Sadly, as awesome as exploring the universe would be, Kazuma's stuck here, praying that Blessfield manages to keep them from being bankrupt.

Again.

000228.png

Meanwhile, Blessfield trying to convince Freeman to give them another job. Of course, Freeman can't just throw around money for jobs at will. He has a budget. The Outer Space Development Company is just a branch off of the Space Development Corporation. There's only one person who can freely give out any job, the SDC's president, Taiga Koutarou.

BlessfieldFace.pngTaiga... it's been a while since I've heard that name.

That brings back memories. The days of Hawkeye vs Gold Tiger. The ID5 squad out for his blood.

Still, that's in the past. The present requires him to provide for his family. And if that means working for an old enemy, so be it.

But that dosn't come to pass, because Freeman actually has a new job for them. This one would have originally gone to the Space Knights, but since they're abord the Valstork as it is, he figures why not have everyone help out?

000229.png
    Surprise! It's Lady Une! She informs Duo and Quatre of two things. First, they're to help out in this mission. Second, the Preventers and Space Knights HQs have been moved, to G-Island City.

The mission involves recovering the surviors of a joint millitary/intellegence team that went to the Orbital Ring to research the Radam's biology and attempt to find any survivors. Noin was on that team, so there's a good reason for Duo and Quatre to go help.

Needless to say, they were mostly wiped out. The last signal they managed to sent was a single photograph... of Tekkaman Dagger.

D-BoyFace.pngOh come on. This is no not going to end well.

It's so obviously a trap. But, sadly, it's a trap they're just going to have to saunter on in to! Because it's kind of their job to do that. Sucks to be them.

000230.png
    The Blue Earth flies out for scouting purposes, the Valstork is on standby in case anything nasty comes up. D-boy is heading down to investigate inside the Ring itself.

000231-ItsASecretToEverybody.png
    Of course, somebody is following along in secret!
    I have no idea why they did the whole "shadow the face" with him.

Kazuma begins following D-Boy. D-boy just marches forward, not really caring about him.

D-BoyFace.pngLook, why are you following me?

KazumaFace.png...

D-BoyFace.pngI won't be able to protect you if any Radam show-

KazumaFace.pngI know! OK! I know I'm not like Dad, or my sisters! I know OK! I know I'd be a crappy pilot without Mihiro, I know I'm second rate compared to the famous Hawkeye, I know! So look, if I'm going to be stuck in the shadow of that legacy, I want to at least be able to do something with it!

D-BoyFace.png...oh. Um. Right.

000232.png
    Meanwhile, the Shihomi and Akane are a little concerned about D-boy. He had a sort of scary look in his eyes when he saw Dagger, they're sure he knows more then he's letting on.

HorisFace.pngAh the mysterious past, ladies love that sort of thing.

AkaneFace.pngMaybe you should work on cultivating one then, Mr. Ex-OZ.

HorisFace.pngYou wound me Akane.

000233.png
    Down in the Orbital Ring, we run into the survivors of the little escapade. Bernard is annoyed because his entire squad got wiped out, he's now one of the few Orbital Ring defece soliders left. Noin and Youko are the investigation team survirors.

000234.png
    Then, our recue crew shows up!

BernardFace.pngYou've got to be kidding me, kids?

NoinFace.pngWait, I know one of them. They're with the Space Knights

000235.png
    Of course, then this guy shows up. He immedately starts ranting about D-boy. About how he's a trator and a fool and will soon parish.

000236.png
    Surprise! It's Dagger!

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngBuwahahahaha!

D-BoyFace.pngGoddamn it Dagger I am so going to Tek-set and kill you.

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngGo ahead and try

D-BoyFace.pngHensh- gurrgle warrglebralg hgggaaahh!!

YoukoFace.pngUhhh, I'm guessing that's not normal.
    000237-Episode4.png
    Episode 4: Shattered Hope

000238.png
    Outside, Noal and Aki are just waiting around. Noal's not exactly worried. After all, even if anything happens, Tekkaman Blade can handle it.

000239.png

NoalFace.pngHey, what's that weird plant thing?

AkiFace.pngI don't think we should get too close to it.

NoalFace.pngOh come on, what's the worst that can-

000240.png

NoalFace.pngDamn it.

000241.png
    Let's start with Focus, this many enemies practically requires it.

000242.png
    Noal attacks! Firing his laser beams at the Radam.

000243.png
    Sadly, even with focus a few attacks get in. Thank goodness for that barrier.

000244.png
    Fortunately, by the next turn reinforcments show up! Noin and Youko have gotten out their mechs and are ready to help out. But wait, where are the others?

000245.png
    KazumaFace.pngRun away! Run away!

D-BoyFace.pngThis isn't fair!

BernardFace.pngDamn it. I need a drink.

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngBuwahahaha! How does it feel, Blade? The Interference Specter generator that I installed outside this building is reversing the energy you use to transform, making it nothing but pain!

BernardFace.pngChrist you're retarded.

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngHuh?

BernardFace.pngYou told us not only what was causing this problem. But also where it is, so we can get rid of it

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngWait...

BernardFace.pngYou two go smash that gizmo. I'll distract scarface here.

000246.png
    Moving on, you can see we still have a ton of Radam to deal with.

000247.png
    Noin here isn't the strongest pilot. But she does have range and repair options to make her useful. I like her, at least. She knows Trust, Accel, and Focus.

000248.png
    There's also a jet mode. Has the usual "trades mobility and speed for less defence" thing.

000249.png
    Youko's in an SS sized plane. Thinking about it, that means this jet is human sized... wow, she must be cramped in there. She knows Accel, Focus, and Invincible

000250.png
    But it can change into a walker mode. More defense less mobility etc etc.

000251.png
    Both cast Accel, so they can get into the action quickly.

000252.png
    Noin attacks and quickly blows up a Radam. Go her!

000253.png
    Youko does the same, riddling one with bullets. That make it explode.

000254.png
    Noal does his thing too, shooting lots of lasers to make things melt.

000255.png
    The Radam don't take this lying down, and start attacking our new players. Ouch for Noin.

NoinFace.pngScrew you space monster!

000256.png
    She pulls out the big gun and blasts it, reducing a full health Radam to critical HP.

000257.png

NoalFace.pngI'm sick of these things molesting the Blue Earth!

AkiFace.pngMolesting...?

000258.png
    The Radam just won't let up, these three can't handle all of them on their own! (At least not yet, give them a few upgrades and levels)

000259.png
    BernardFace.pngWhy the hell are you still here?

D-BoyFace.pngTo keep Dagger from ripping your face off. Kazuma can go deal with that thing himself.

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngI swear I will use your skull as a paperweight!

000260.png
    Kazuma calls out to the others, pointing out where that thingy is!

KazumaFace.pngShoot this thing! Shoot it or we will all die!

000261.png
    But then a Radam shows up and wants to eat him.

KazumaFace.pngDamn it is this one of those things where say, Mihiro, is actually the main character and my death will drive her to greatness?

000262.png
    But then Orgun shows up! Saving Kazuma!

000263.png
    Then Noal goes and shoots that generator thing! Hooray!

000264.png

TekkamanBladeFace.pngOK yeah Dagger. I'm so going to kill you now. The whole "keep me from transforming" thing? That was such a dick move.
    Something breaks, but nobody notices in the chaos of battle.

000265.png
    Dagger is not happy. No siree he is not.

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngWhy the hell is an Evoluder helping the humans!?

OrgunFace.png....

000266.png
    Orgun leaves, and Dagger summons up a whole bunch more Radam.

000267.png
    Just in time for the Valstork to show up! Kazuma gets aboard the Valhawk, and we're ready to smash things

000268.png
    Oh wait it's still the enemy turn, so they immedately charge at Valstork.

BlessfieldFace.pngAre we locked on?

AkaneFace.pngYup!

000269.png

BlessfieldFace.pngWow, I'm surprised that thing is still standing.

000270.png

DuoFace.pngI have to wonder, does it hurt having its tentacles sliced off?

NoinFace.pngAre you really concerned about that?

000271.png

DuoFace.pngNot really. No.

000272.png
    Tekkaman wishes he could one shot Radam like Duo.

TekkamanBladeFace.pngHe just got lucky with a critical hit *grumble grumble*

000273.png
    OK, now it's my turn. There is, of course, the issue of Dagger. He's no ordinary Radam. Dagger here is our first Boss.

000274.png
    High stats, dangerous weapons, and of course, dangerous abilties. Notice that his HP is rather high, higher then anything we've faced so far. It'll take multible characters to take him down. Of course, bosses also give high rewards. Lots of EXP, and lots of cash.

000275.png
    Back to blowing things up!

YoukoFace.pngHow come I get stuck with plain bullets?

000276.png

NoinFace.pngBudget. Us preventers have funding up the wazoo. EDF is stuck with the cuts, sorry.

000277.png
    Death in the desert. In space.

Man I love dynamic kills.

000278.png
    Duo just takes out his scythe and things explode

000279.png
    If you concider size differences, odds are a single missile is as large as the Radam.

Overkill? Very much so.

000280.png

KazumaFace.pngHah! I'm still the main character, bitch!

MihiroFace.png...what?

000281.png
    Noal softens up another Radam (He's been getting tons of EXP these past two stages, sheesh)

000282.png
    Blade gets another kill!

000283.png
    Kazuma is sick of these Radam.

KazumaFace.pngMihiro! It's time to use... that.

MihiroFace.pngPlasma Execution?

KazumaFace.pngYes!

000284.png

KazumaFace.png......

MihiroFace.pngWell, um.

KazumaFace.pngOh come on! That's not fair!

000285.png
    Blade just dodges the next one.

000286.png
    Dagger launches his attack on Blade!

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngI swear to God I will kill you for this scar you gave me.

TekkamanBladeFace.pngThat's what's got your panties in a twist? Geez, learn some precpective. Now, me, I'm going to kill you because you're going to try and wipe out humanity. Which of our casues is more noble, huh? Huh?

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngFuck you.

000287.png

....ouch. That's gotta hurt.

000288.png
    ...yeah. Bosses are definately more dangerous then regular enemies.

000289.png
    Nothing like some good old fashioned support attacking, eh?

Oh yeah, there's one quirk about Support Attacks. Namely, that the one who first attacked gets the kill and EXP. Basically Noin gets nothing out of helping Youko kill that Radam. This can be useful, namely have a lower leveled character supported by a higher leveled one.

000290.png
    Fun times for all!

000291.png
    Trust gets cast on Blade. Because, do I really want to wait so many turns for HP Regen to kick in? No.

000292.png
    Noal blows up another Radam and levels up!

000293.png
    Remember what I said about healers getting lots of EXP? Yeah.

Noal learned Luck, which doubles the ammount of money he earns on the next attack. Use if you want to finish off bosses with him.

000294.png
    Focus, for two reasons. One, to dodge batter.

000295.png
    Two, because he dosn't know Strike so this will have to do when I fire off MAP attacks.

000296.png
    Kazuma uses Laser Vulcan to finish off a Radam.

000297.png
    With Focus, Blade is basically untouchable.

000298.png
    The same can not be said for the Radam.

000299.png
    Nor the Blue Earth.

Most of the time I would have just selected "evade" but Dagger is supporting. When Bosses Support Attack things get nasty.

000300.png
    So Noal blows up the enemy. If you kill the enemy that has a Support Attack coming, the Support is canceled. Useful info!

000301.png
    Despite his name, Dagger fires an arrow at Blade, who is able to dodge this time.

000302.png
    Blade uses his blades to land a hit this time!

000303.png
    Noins a little behind, so Accel time!

000304.png
    Tag-team heaven.

000305.png
    Noal then repairs the Tarus, gotta keep it in tip top shape.

000306.png
    Kazuma then does a totally rad manuver involving shooting a Radam in the face and cutting off the tentacles as they come out of the scorched mouth.

000307.png
    Critical hit! Another one blown up.

000308.png
    I have to wonder, what exactly is being fired out? Lasers? Plasma? Minovsky Particles? The world may never know.

000309.png
    Now all the mooks are gone. Leaving only Dagger. He's rather outnumbered, wouldn't you say?

000310.png
    Strike and Fighting Spirit get cast. The most damage possible at the moment, garenteed.

000311.png

BlessfieldFace.pngI don't like you. Akane! Ready the big guns!

AkaneFace.pngAye aye Dad.

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngWhat big guns... I don't see any other guns on that thing.

000312.png
    Those big guns.

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngGaahhh! Every part of my body burns!

000313.png

TekkamanDaggarFace.pngTake this! And that! And some of this!

000314.png

BlessfieldFace.pngI think we might actually have some minor damage. Miss Noin, if you may?

NoinFace.pngGladly.

000315.png
    Next, Invincible for Blade. This way, I can easily take any counter attack Dagger throws at me.

000316.png
    Voltekker blasts him apart just a little bit more.

000317.png
    Finally, Focus on Quatre for accuracy.

000318.png
    And the Blond Space Arab finishes off the Human turned alien monster in a desert in space.

Man SRWs are silly.

000319.png
    Quatre levels up, and I get a ton of rewards. Two new parts. And two skill parts! And 10,000 bucks!

000320.png
    Quatre learns a new Spirit Command too. Bless. It's like a better version of Luck. It lets you pick an ally to give Luck's effect to. You can bet I'll be useing this on every boss.

Dagger, realzing he's been beaten, runs away like a little girl.

000321.png
    After the battle, things are great! Blessfield decides it's time for Kazuma to recive some old fashioned disipline. For two reasons, the first is that he ran off on his own without telling anybody.

The second, however, is more important to Blessfield. Because of his actions, people's lives were put at risk. His own and others. Space is cold and unforgiving. Yet life is important, and only by binding together can people survive in this harsh world.

The lecture goes on for a while

000322.png
    They all say goodbye to the Orbital Ring, they're finally heading back to earth.

000323.png
    Noal reports to Freeman. The mission is over, they're now set for G-island city.

But wait, D-boy feels weird.

Suddenly, his system box, which allows him to transform, breaks in half!

D-BoyFace.pngUhhh... that's not good.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bernard is the goddamn man.

Should have let Blade finish off Dagger. I always feel obligated to let the characters that are from the same series make the killing blow.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Quatre needed the EXP. I generally let the lower leveled characters finish off the bosses.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Goddamn this is an awesome LP. Many SD props, Pata, with action backgrounds and dramatic zoom and explosions and everything.

Kainy on
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, wait, Evoluders? As in GaoGaiGar?

What?

What?

Conan-san on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't worry, SRW stories tie multiple series together fairly well, so long as you're willing to allow for some crazy.

Also, I must add one thing:
    Pata wrote:
    Youko's in an SS sized plane. Thinking about it, that means this jet is human sized... wow, she must be cramped in there.

And flexible :winky:

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's more the point that Orgun is identified as much, unless I'm missreading that.

Ah well, The game starts with the inital parts of Nadesico and Tekkaman Blade happening so I can forgive any mixup. I mean, you get to fight Mu with Akito and Gai, that's just awesome.

So awesome, it rarely crosses the border.

Actauly, I had a feeling if GaoGaiGar wasn't so badly shat on as it was in the US (from all sides, MB isn't any less guilty. As a side, Voltron can get lost too) we might have gotten W.
    We could of had a Chiptune version of the Teknoman theme, but alas.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ahh, nice thread. I'll be keeping up with it.

Alpha Gaiden is another wonderful candidate for this. It's chock full of good shows- and fan translated, too! Gonna warn that it's a pretty hard game, though. Especially if you want to go for all the Skill Points.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Ahh, nice thread. I'll be keeping up with it.

Alpha Gaiden is another wonderful candidate for this. It's chock full of good shows- and fan translated, too! Gonna warn that it's a pretty hard game, though. Especially if you want to go for all the Skill Points.
    Yeah, Leos are damn fragile.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pata, bro, I love what you're doing with this. But I gotta say, there's a very big problem with your first mission report...
    GundamGaiFace.png
    Gai Murakumo

I believe you have your Astray pilots mixed up. This is Lowe Gear. He pilots a Gundam with a katana. Not a beam katana, a metal katana. In a universe where all the really good enemies have armor that deflects solid weaponry.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List