As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12/23/09: I Should Have Just Joined A.I.M.

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
Ares #3: pretty clever, sis:

a3a.jpg

a3b.jpg

a3c.jpg

a3d.jpg

a3e.jpg

a3f.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gotham City Sirens for me. First part was a little ehhh, but the Ivy and Harley Quinn stuff was great stuff.

I really loved Harley's family scenes.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GL #49 was good, and I think the hint it drops at the end of the issue syncs up with what has been discussed in the BN thread about the Guardians "big secret". And Johns is making this John be a LOT like his cartoon counterpart compared to even past GL issues.

Uncanny #519 was good issue too, that's two in a row; it appears that Fraction is finally getting the hang of the book now, after the first 15 or so issues being too many characters, and too much "wow look at this aren't we so cool!" with the Greg Land shiteating grins. Dodson also provides some nice art with great layouts, and this should be Emma's new outfit:
    uxm519a.jpg

uxm519b.jpg

Even if we're in a "good Magneto" phase, at least show he's going to backstab and worm his way to get Scott to do what he wants. Magneto's such a nazi.

uxm519c.jpg

Cyclops is so much cooler than Wolverine.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My MotW is actually being home for these next two Wednesdays, and therefore able to actually hit up my LCS of choice in an hour or so.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pick up the Mini Marvels Ultimate TPB!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    FF #574, everyone buy it, it's a nice one off birthday party that, outside of two stupid lines that I mention in the bitching thread, is really fun:

ff574a.jpg

ff574b.jpg

ff574c.jpg

Suck on that, Spider-Lame!

And Artie and Leech move into the Baxter Building yay!

And Sirens #7, good issue, and as McCly wrote good Harley scenes:

gcs7a.jpg

gcs7b.jpg

And finally X-Men Legacy #231 is so good, because Carey is making all the old history work so well together, I would make him EiC or head Editor of Marvel in a heartbeat if given the chance:

xml231a.jpg

I'm so glad he points out Kurt is fucking leader, right below Cyclops and Storm, he's not some pouty B like Fraction had him over in Uncanny who can't handle Pixie being a better teleporter than him or whatever pity party he's been in the last few years.

xml231b.jpg

And this banter is reminiscent of the Claremont era, and it's just good to see.

Carey also has Rogue and Magneto talk with one another and seemlessly ties in the Savage Land stuff as well as when Rogue absorbed Magneto's power during Illyana's funeral during Fatal Attractions. And some good art too, Clay Mann high five.

This has been a strong week so far, all the books I've read have been good or better.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Incredible Hercules
    Why Delphyne, why? =(

KVW on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Incredible Hercules
    Why Delphyne, why? =(

D:

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    End of Thor was my MotW. Gillen needs to write a Doom miniseries pronto. The resolution to Luke's predicament in New Avengers was neat as well.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gillen has really done well at alleviating a lot of the fears about JMS leaving. 605 was great, though the top art helped a lot in this regard (A good artist can help carry a poorer book or ruin a good one IMHO).

Solar on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got two MOTWs:

Blackest Night #6 - The obvious. It was entirely expected but oh-so-awesome.

Dark Avengers: Ares #3 - Unexpected but very strong ending.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Every book I picked up this week was just outstanding and in full gear. Detective Comics finally got me truly excited about the Question backup, Who Will Wield the Shield was a fun little side story with a lot of heart and beautiful art, Fraction totally has my interest peaked with all the subplots going on in Uncanny right now, and Robinson is still somehow writing a very fun, insightful Superman book even as all his other work is just so-so currently. In addition, this week's issue of Superman pushed the whole 7734 plot further than any single issue of any Super book so far since the plot began.

It was really like a perfect week for me; all my favorite books at the top of their game.

However, there was one book that went even further above and beyond. Hickman's Fantastic Four is just out of this world (often literally), and it's the only version of the FF that I've ever really gone for. Everything was spot on. The gift Johnny suggested Franklin give to Spider-Man was pretty awesome, and although it's hard to say what he's setting up with the second half of the issue, and when we'll get to it, I'm very intrigued and excited. And I'm someone who has always nearly hated the FF, particularly for what they and Reed have become in the 616 and Ultimate universes at large in the last few years.

On the other hand, I was kind of let down by Green Lantern 49. John Stewart's story didn't really go anywhere at all (which I'm finding to be the case now with nearly every Blackest Night encounter), and I was kind of pissed to find out that he didn't even get the entire issue to himself as was promised.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    and I was kind of pissed to find out that he didn't even get the entire issue to himself as was promised.

Beg. Pardon?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There was that Tales of the Black Lantern Corps. that was 6 pages or so in the back of the issue.

Brotha can't get a break.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This week's Wonder Woman was the conclusion to a short arc that was basically also the end of the super long arc that started in Rise of the Olympians. I'll discuss the issue in more depth in the WW thread but there was one page that was particularly awesome. Unfortunately I cannot provide a scan, but maybe someone else can.
    Queen Hyppolyta kills Captain Bald-Girl with a bow. The 2/3 page images of her with the bow, being flanked by some white gorilla troops and Donna and one of her other soldiers was a really good picture. And she has a cool line too:

"I respectfully renounce your actions, Captain."

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Happy Anti-Life everybody.

nqa687.jpg
    By Michael Cho because credit is certainly due. Click image for much larger version.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That is great.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh God GOTG is messed up:
    the blob that came from the fault is looking for a new host body, and after killing some church of truth members who think it's their god, it basically jumps inside Phylla through her nose and impregnates her, and the church sees her as their version of Mary.

It's so creepy but DnA make this Chthulu thing work well:

gotg21a.jpg

Drax does have family issues.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Jack Flag made my skin crawl.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2009
    i liked in World's Finest that in the flashback to a fight, Catwoman is all zipped up, but after she's locked up in the container by Toyboy her titties are almost popping out

some little robot copped a feel

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Secret Warriors was really good, great art, decent story, in fact everything but Fury was entertaining and Im enjoying the Hydra elite.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm suprised more people haven't fangasmed all over themselves at the first story in What If? Astonishing after Emma becomes the host for the Phoenix through Casandra Nova's machinations and fighting ensues. Then
    Kitty kills her by phasing Emma's heart from her body. The next panel has Kitty standing over a dying Emma as she tosses the heart to the ground

"Never imagined you actually had one of these."

Also, Jean's reaction in that panel is great. Everyone else is shocked and she just has her hand over her face like "Oh, brother."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It really fed into that whole "everyone always dies more" that the What Ifs are known for.
    Doesn't Kitty die at the end as well? I was just flipping through it to see if they put Scott and Jean together, and it looked like they did.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes.

That said, I thought it was pretty awful even with such obvious fanservice . I've been pretty disappointed with What If for a while (remember one was pretty good last year, but can't remember which) but I still grab them because it's What If and I used to collect the series when it was an ongoing. Last week's Elektra vs. Daredevil was much better than this one (I especially loved her line "What's with all the ninjas? Is this the mid-eighties?") especially with the team she assembles at the end to take out Matt and the Hand. I need to sit down and write up some thoughts on the last three or four weeks of comics now that Christmas is over.

I liked this week's Detective much more than last issue (which was filler. Let's not kid ourselves) even though the more I read about Kate's history the more I still don't get why she chose to become Batwoman instead of doing anything else. Thor was awesome, just like I expected from Kieron. Madame Xanadu had a cool magic fight between her and her sister. Ares was... It was great. "Know that word" would be my moment of the week if I had to pick just one. Etc.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do it.

And Jim McCann was the writer on that Jean What If story, which explains why it's average.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well... Yeah. [strike]But the brevity was the real killer.[/strike]

Oh, wow. I just checked and the first story was 21 pages (including the recap page and the page of Uatu talking). So, never mind. It was just terrible writing. I still love the What If? Annihilation book where the end is the splash of Nova, Iron Man and Cap all leaping into the fray to fight the Annihilation Wave alone Butch and Sundance style.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    i liked in World's Finest that in the flashback to a fight, Catwoman is all zipped up, but after she's locked up in the container by Toyboy her titties are almost popping out

some little robot copped a feel

the stress of vigilantism can be bra-busting.

and that issue made me like the new Batgirl even more. <3

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Eh. I couldn't muster the will to write anything about this week's haul that I haven't already posted.

That said, I just went through bleedingcool for the first time in like three months and found a picture of Grant Morrison in his underwear in a post about cosplaying comic pros. I have to say that is now my moment of the week. It's not a good moment, but it's definitely the comics-related moment of the past week that will be most indelibly seared into my brain.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    realm of kings inhumans

Ronan smiled

Weaver on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was only in a couple of panels but in Initiative
    Osborn using batarangs made me smile

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bought the first "trade" it s a hardcover of Fraction's Iron Man, Pluto 1, 20th Century Boys 1, A Fahrehneit 451 adapation comic and Umbrella Academy Dallas for like 40 bucks, thanks to the Borders bookstore in the mall going out of business. There's a huge Borders in a strip mall right across the street, so it isn't that much of a less.

edit dammit i got the second trade of Fraction's Iron man. Dammit, oh well. 40% off. I'll buy the first one some time.

DouglasDanger on