As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]edy!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    2:44

GOOD DAY

Organichu on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    2:44

GOOD DAY

You a busta.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    your [chat] sucks. mine was better

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    So two jews walk into an oven...

_J_ on
    edited December 2009
    00000260.png

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so, anyway, is Torchlight something I could play with just a keyboard comfortably?

Gorilla Salad on
    edited December 2009
    Allright everyone! The other two [chat] threads are but useless imitators! I say we take up arms and silence them!

TO ARMS!!!

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Reading some Deleuze and Nietzche today has got me thinking about eternal return, which has set my head spinning.

For instance, is each repeated universe composed of the same repeated manner? If so, there are an infinite number of Poldies composed of the same matter. Are these differed, repeated Poldies all the same Poldy? If so, then how do they occupy different times and spaces? If they are different Poldies, then how are they composed of the same manner and have the same concept?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Reading some Deleuze and Nietzche today

is that really seriously how you spent xmas?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Being an upstanding American who loves freedom, I refuse to post in that vulgar thread about that apostatic "holiday."

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009
    Reading some Deleuze and Nietzche today has got me thinking about eternal return, which has set my head spinning.

For instance, is each repeated universe composed of the same repeated manner? If so, there are an infinite number of Poldies composed of the same matter. Are these differed, repeated Poldies all the same Poldy? If so, then how do they occupy different times and spaces? If they are different Poldies, then how are they composed of the same manner and have the same concept?

Here's what I learned from spending a semester reading Nietzsche:

Nietzsche is a crazy person who says crazy person things.

The metaphysics of eternal return are not articulated in Nietzsche, because he was a fucking r-tard who never thought anything through.

_J_ on
    edited December 2009
    Reading some Deleuze and Nietzche today

is that really seriously how you spent xmas?

Yep. Also watched the Celtics game, Cavs game, and the Chargers game, and I also ate a lot.

It was a nice christmas.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009
    Well the Cavs are fantastic. I can not argue.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sex is good.

Even Nietzsche would not disagree with this.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hypothetical.

if I dropped a 1920s gun, like an SAA or a Thompson into a lake... how fucked would it be?

Greeper on
    edited December 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

The metaphysics of eternal return are not articulated in Nietzsche, because he was a fucking r-tard who never thought anything through.

_J_, you know that I respect you. However, it concerns me that you seem to have this switch in your head which has two modes: a) Let me think about this in a reasonable way and investigate the problem, and b) NOPE I REFUSE TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND THIS WHATSOEVER. It's like, if you have a strong negative emotion about something you are incapable of understanding it.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Sex is good.

He might.

_J_ on
    edited December 2009

_J_, you know that I respect you. However, it concerns me that you seem to have this switch in your head which has two modes: a) Let me think about this in a reasonable way and investigate the problem, and b) NOPE I REFUSE TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND THIS WHATSOEVER. It's like, if you have a strong negative emotion about something you are incapable of understanding it.

I read the fucker. I spent a semester going through his works. Initially I was "let's try to investigate the problem". After a semester? Fuck Nietzsche.

After one goes through every work, puts all of the quotes of nihilism next to one another, and then tries to make sense of them as one coherent narrative? I think that affords one the right to say "fucker is retarded".

_J_ on
    edited December 2009
    Sex is good.

i had sex with a lady that has a smiley and dreadlocks. it was wonderful. she is fantastic. and i think she likes me. weird.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    So glad my air conditioner works again. Being in Hawaii without an air conditioner is basically the worst.

edited December 2009
    Well I've only read the genealogy of morals and also sprach, so I'll have to defer to you. However, I think that Nietzche's critique of systematic metaphysics is absolute brilliance, and I think that he offered the first path out of the materialist/dualist binary lock.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Hypothetical.

if I dropped a 1920s gun, like an SAA or a Thompson into a lake... how fucked would it be?

If it stayed down there it'd be pretty well preserved. Especially if its a freshwater lake. The only time you get rot is from constant exposure to shifts in wetness and then dryness. Stuff would probably start corroding eventually, though.

moniker on
    edited December 2009
    Well I've only read the genealogy of morals and also sprach, so I'll have to defer to you. However, I think that Nietzche's critique of systematic metaphysics is absolute brilliance, and I think that he offered the first path out of the materialist/dualist binary lock.

Don't defer to me.

The professor was saying that nietzsche might be the logical end of the platonic tradition (this is heidegger's take, as I understand it) and I take issue of that because

1) Nietzsche is fucking nuts.
    2) Platonism does not end with being fucking nuts.

I don't know if Nietzsche actually affords one a way out of materialism / dualism. I think he mostly just says a bunch of random, stupid things and people take that to be free liscense to say random / stupid things.

_J_ on
    edited December 2009
    someone is bad at relating and my facebook knows it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ipKiz39Ls

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hypothetical.

It depends on how much water exposure there is. Brief exposure to water can cause rust on some parts. Prolonged exposure can cause a little more. If it's been taken care of, then some anti-rust agents will have been in place in the barrel. You may have to check and keep an eye on some of the internal parts. If it's a Thompson (which is a very different gun then the SAA) then most likely it's an NFA registered piece. I have no idea what the current prices for them would be but it would be in the ball park of a decent car.

Thomamelas on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    moniker on
    edited December 2009
    Neitzche is definitely performative, and since he was a quasi-relativist, it's going to be possible to make anything resembling a coherent presentation of his thought. But that's part of the genius of his work, the performative contextualizing of his "truth."

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Evening, folks.

TL DR on
    edited December 2009
    Evening, folks.

Evening, Governor.

edited December 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hypothetical.

It depends on how much water exposure there is. Brief exposure to water can cause rust on some parts. Prolonged exposure can cause a little more. If it's been taken care of, then some anti-rust agents will have been in place in the barrel. You may have to check and keep an eye on some of the internal parts. If it's a Thompson (which is a very different gun then the SAA) then most likely it's an NFA registered piece. I have no idea what the current prices for them would be but it would be in the ball park of a decent car.

My bad, I didn't explain things clearly at all. I'm gamemastering a pulp Cthulhu game for some guys set in the 20s and there's a very real chance they're going to get dumped in a lake and I wanted to know if their guns would be still in working order.

Greeper on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sex is good.

i had sex with a lady that has a smiley and dreadlocks. it was wonderful. she is fantastic. and i think she likes me. weird.

A smiley....what?

A smiley vagina?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good morning [chat].

How are we this Boxing Day?

BobCesca on
    edited December 2009
    Neitzche is definitely performative, and since he was a quasi-relativist, it's going to be possible to make anything resembling a coherent presentation of his thought. But that's part of the genius of his work, the performative contextualizing of his "truth."

I don't know if it is genius or crazy.

There's the interpretation that Nietzsche is demonstrating the impossibility of crafting a coherent position by giving contradictory arguments. The problem is I do not think there a virtue in writing as much as he did just to say "Dudes, shit be relative."

If he had one coherent idea to articulate one would think that he could, you know, coherently articulate it.

If i write "contradictions occur" is that less compelling than writing something contradictory?

_J_ on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hypothetical.

My bad, I didn't explain things clearly at all. I'm gamemastering a pulp Cthulhu game for some guys set in the 20s and there's a very real chance they're going to get dumped in a lake and I wanted to know if their guns would be still in working order.

Yes. The SAA would be fine. The Thompson should be fine but you might see a slight increase in it's odds of jamming.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Good morning [chat].

Celebrating the Battle of Trenton.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2009
    Good morning [chat].

I am not engaged.

Unlike a particular lizard person i can think of.

_J_ on
    edited December 2009
    so the wet gun = no work stuff pretty much ended the moment we stopped using wheelocks?

Good to konw.

Greeper on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good morning [chat].

I am not engaged.

Unlike a particular lizard person i can think of.

:D

BobCesca on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait, Bob and japan are engaged?

Well, congratufuckinglations!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.