As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sim City 3000!

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Here's an example of a windowed mode command line for SC4. I use this on my laptop and desktop with no issues:
    "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -w -intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1440x900

Also, you should probably switch to software rendering the preferences if you're having graphical problems. (Or, in my experience, even if you aren't...)

Would this work for 3000 as well?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Here's an example of a windowed mode command line for SC4. I use this on my laptop and desktop with no issues:
    "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -w -intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1440x900

Also, you should probably switch to software rendering the preferences if you're having graphical problems. (Or, in my experience, even if you aren't...)

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, what benefits does a haunted house give? Does it matter where I place it?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    But it doesn't work???!!!

You need to put like 5 or 6 squares in advance before reaching the water and click and drag from there.

If you just go to tile adjacent to the water, it will not create one. You need to give it a few squares space.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone remember Sim Town? It was like Sim City for kids. You also got to create your own character and pet. I had a penguin, and I would skateboard around my town. It was the best thing ever when I was young.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    But it doesn't work???!!!

You need to put like 5 or 6 squares in advance before reaching the water and click and drag from there.

If you just go to tile adjacent to the water, it will not create one. You need to give it a few squares space.

I finally got it, so annoying. I had to try many places until one of them worked. Of course, I was trying a straight line the whole time.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is it useful to put two streets right next to each other to create a bit of a wider avenue on main streets?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Anyone remember Sim Town? It was like Sim City for kids. You also got to create your own character and pet. I had a penguin, and I would skateboard around my town. It was the best thing ever when I was young.

Oh hell yes, I remember this.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ayulin wrote: »
    PunkBoy wrote: »

Oh hell yes, I remember this.

No need to add such unnecessary words.

theSquid on
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    Is it useful to put two streets right next to each other to create a bit of a wider avenue on main streets?

If you can make it work, sure. There is no guarantee that your Sims will use both streets though.

The Rush Hour expansion comes with proper avenues.

EDIT: oh, you're talking about 3000, skip the Rush Hour comment

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Grudge wrote: »

If you can make it work, sure. There is no guarantee that your Sims will use both streets though.

The Rush Hour expansion comes with proper avenues.

EDIT: oh, you're talking about 3000, skip the Rush Hour comment

Yeah I've found it doesn't really work. In fact, they tend to use neither roads and will only use my mass transportation. It's incredibly annoying.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One thing I miss from SC3000 are the architectural styles. Like, the buildings in SimCity 4 are so pretty, but sometimes you just wanna build an Asian megacity or little European village.

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    I hope nobody forgets what SimCity 3000 was originally supposed to look like:

simcity3d.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, at the time, that would have looked pretty cool. It was probably just a proof of concept mockup anyways.

Kind of neat how the windows appear to be real geometry, not just textures.

But yes, the sprites have aged much better.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think it was more that 3d was expected after SimCopter, but the team dropped it because computers just couldn't handle being SimCity and 3d at the same time. I agree that the sprites were the way to go. SimCity 4 is still so damn beautiful. Even now if they were to come out with a fully 3d one, you'd have a lot of low-level detail like pedestrians and such. The allure of all the games to me was the lack of that ultra micro management. You knew the people were there, but being stuck at that city level view being only able to see cars at most and not having to worry about invididual people was great. I guess that's why the Sims was created.

I hope if another one is made, they don't try to make it the Sims + SimCity. Also is it so much to ask for them to fix SC4 so it runs on Win7 and multicore computers without taking a dump? Rerelease it on Steam and I'd totally buy it again. I don't want to have to put together an old single core machine just to play it.

bombardier on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I pretty much agree with bombardier. Sprites were - and very much still are - a good thing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, I'm playing a SC3K city and I'm actually doing good. I chose "easy" on the city start screen because of the starting money. Does that affect other factors as well? Is the whole game easier on me? Or it's just the seed cash that changes?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    I hope if another one is made, they don't try to make it the Sims + SimCity. Also is it so much to ask for them to fix SC4 so it runs on Win7 and multicore computers without taking a dump? Rerelease it on Steam and I'd totally buy it again. I don't want to have to put together an old single core machine just to play it.

Windows 7 is probably the problem, not the multi-core. I can run SC4 on a dual-core cpu with Windows XP without any kind of slowdown, even in super-large squares that have been built up.

Last Son on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SC4 runs fine on my quad-core system with Win7 64-bit. With NAM even.

Again, if the game seems really slow to you on modern hardware, turn on software rendering. I know this seems paradoxical, but just give it a shot.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, maybe I will give this another shot indeed. The shot being the drug that is SimCity into my forearm.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, I'm playing a SC3K city and I'm actually doing good. I chose "easy" on the city start screen because of the starting money. Does that affect other factors as well? Is the whole game easier on me? Or it's just the seed cash that changes?

I think it's just the initial cash you get. Or at least I hope so...God I suck at this game.

No matter how many roads, rails, and subways I build between my Commercial/Residential section and my Industrial section, I ALWAYS have a ticker item on the bottom saying that people are moving away because they can't get to work.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone played the game the screens in this thread come from?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1028277

There's some neat SimCity threads in that subforum, although it's populated by weird, weird people.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Again, if the game seems really slow to you on modern hardware, turn on software rendering. I know this seems paradoxical, but just give it a shot.

I wish this was my experience. It runs fine for 10-15 minutes, then crash to desktop, without fail.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember being disappointed by the lack of 3D in 3000 and 4, but then quickly not caring once I had played the games for a bit.

I actually got into SimCity when I was required to play the Mac version of SimCity 2000 in elementary school. I didn't complain! I loved it, and I also loved the old CD-ROM version of the original game, which had a bunch of ridiculous FMV clips of the various advisers in it. That was great.

I'm installing the Cities XL demo even though I've heard terrible things. Figured I'd give it a shot especially since the game is on sale right now through Steam.

EDIT: Ah, and the demo was time limited and doesn't work anymore....yay! Thanks for telling me that fileshack....

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well my game refuses to run in hardware accelerated mode anyways so that solves that.

bombardier on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I wish this was my experience. It runs fine for 10-15 minutes, then crash to desktop, without fail.

That sucks. I've been running it on various systems for years now mostly without issues... in XP I used to set the affinity (in Windows) to one processor, but I'm not sure that makes any difference.

There is a patch for the Deluxe edition of the game, so if you're just digging out your CDs and trying to run the game straight-up, try this: http://simcity.ea.com/update/index.php (though the site isn't working for me at this moment)

And these are the settings I use in-game (along with Windowed mode, as shown last page):
    sc4-settings.png

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does anyone know if sc3000 and/or sc4 are (legally) available for digital download anywhere? Also anyone have a good sc4 starter guide?

Also, it completely boggles the mind that Simcity 4 deluxe is 91 dollars on Amazon, while, the Simcity box, which contains the above and SC:Societies, is $20.

Apparently people will pay 70 bucks not to have Societies.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, I got it running in hardware mode, which is beside the point, but I can't get it to stick to 32-bit colour.

bombardier on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Last Son wrote: »

Windows 7 is probably the problem, not the multi-core. I can run SC4 on a dual-core cpu with Windows XP without any kind of slowdown, even in super-large squares that have been built up.

what I read it seems sc4 hates newer radeon cards or something, if you have a radeon card.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I think it's just the initial cash you get. Or at least I hope so...God I suck at this game.

No matter how many roads, rails, and subways I build between my Commercial/Residential section and my Industrial section, I ALWAYS have a ticker item on the bottom saying that people are moving away because they can't get to work.

That's weird, I got many complaints about traffic, sure, but NEVER ONCE i got a "can't get to work" issue.
    maybe there's some random yellow square lost somewhere that makes your sims upset.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, it completely boggles the mind that Simcity 4 deluxe is 91 dollars on Amazon, while, the Simcity box, which contains the above and SC:Societies, is $20.

Apparently people will pay 70 bucks not to have Societies.

I have Simcity 4, so all I really wanted a few weeks back when I got into a Simcity kick was to buy the Rush Hour expansion from EA, but apparently they only have it for $20 packaged with Societies.

I'd rather just not have it if it means touching Societies.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You don't have to, though. Societies is on a completely separate disk, which can be conveniently quarantined :P

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So what happened with Societies anyway? I remember the buzz around the previews saying the game looked pretty lame, but was it really that trash?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Last Son wrote: »

what I read it seems sc4 hates newer radeon cards or something, if you have a radeon card.

Well the game crashes after about half an hour regardless of what I do so I guess I have to give up on it forever.

bombardier on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So what you people are saying is that there's no way to purchase Simcity 4 online?

theSquid on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    So what you people are saying is that there's no way to purchase Simcity 4 online?

I'm still busting my ass looking for a digital download for it. I thought I was on to something this morning, but it just turned out to be the fucking Sim City Box with that god-awful excuse for a city builder, Societies.

Seriously, that piece of shit doesn't even run properly on my machine. I have a GeForce GTX 295 Co-op, 12GB RAM, and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. If SC4 can do it, no reason why SCS can't.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have SC4 running fine on my Radeon HD4850. I have no idea how I made that happen.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have SC4 running fine on my Radeon HD4850. I have no idea how I made that happen.

you must share your secrets and stats.

what OS, driver version, any configuration of SC4 etc

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Win 7 RC, latest ATI drivers, Core2Duo E8400, 4GB RAM, SC4 RH installed defaulty and with all settings maxxed.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cade on