As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boxing [Chat]!

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    How you doing these days Thanatos?

Have you tasted the blood of the cleptocratic fat cats that you anger for?
    I hit them where it hurts on a daily basis: right in the wallet.
    By which I mean I work for them. :cry:

But it pays really well.

Thanatos on
    edited December 2009
    Graduate school.

But he has to spend the next year learning calculus while he keeps working as a legal secretary.
    Law school? Or the type where you get out, then don't make any money?

Thanatos on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    speaker soooooooo cute

Yes, her fall from the ceiling ninja attack is adorable.

Speaker on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    aww. adorable speaker.

Casual Eddy on
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Graduate school.

But he has to spend the next year learning calculus while he keeps working as a legal secretary.

Economics.

I was scared off of law school when half the lawyers I asked told me it was miserable, and the five staff attorney positions in the state public defender program were deluged with 700 applications.

You know, they graduate more and more lawyers every year Thanatos, but I understand the number of attorney jobs has been pretty steady since the early 90s.

That makes for an ugly long term picture.

Speaker on
    edited December 2009

But it pays really well.

Don't worry Marshall. You'll be an environmental lawyer someday.

Speaker on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Graduate school.

Economics.

I was scared off of law school when half the lawyers I asked told me it was miserable, and the five staff attorney positions in the state public defender program were deluged with 700 applications.

You know, they graduate more and more lawyers every year Thanatos, but I understand the number of attorney jobs has been pretty steady since the early 90s.

So you like your sciences to be dismal I see.

moniker on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good night room. Good night moon. Good night cow jumping over the [chat].

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2009
    Just so.

You see, I'm only happy when it rains.

@ Robos - goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere.

Speaker on
    edited December 2009
    Graduate school.

Economics.

Yeah, I know. And it makes me doubt myself, sometimes. It's gonna be a couple of years before I have the financial security to really look at it, though. And maybe by then, something new will have fallen into my lap.

Honestly, I enjoy IT an awful lot, and that combined with my legal/administrative knowledge puts me in a pretty good position when it comes to doing a lot of different things. Maybe I'll just stick with this for awhile, see where it takes me.

I've come to realize that odds are, my job is almost certainly always going to be at odds with my personal politics. And I'm okay with that.

Thanatos on
    edited December 2009
    i just want to publish books!

Casual Eddy on
    edited December 2009
    i just want to have sex with men!

Thanatos on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, that's a tough one.

I'm always grateful for my current job in that respect, even though I'm just an office lackey. At least it is meaningful and the benefits are good.

I'm given to understand that life is what happens while you are making other plans.

Speaker on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

How does one even get into that? I thought about it but I had no idea where to even start. I'd love to be an editor.

So It Goes on
    edited December 2009

And I wish to archive or reference them. Not catalogue, though, if I can help it.

moniker on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

But it pays really well.

Don't worry Marshall. You'll be an environmental lawyer someday.

uggggggh

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I know. And it makes me doubt myself, sometimes. It's gonna be a couple of years before I have the financial security to really look at it, though. And maybe by then, something new will have fallen into my lap.

Honestly, I enjoy IT an awful lot, and that combined with my legal/administrative knowledge puts me in a pretty good position when it comes to doing a lot of different things. Maybe I'll just stick with this for awhile, see where it takes me.

I've come to realize that odds are, my job is almost certainly always going to be at odds with my personal politics. And I'm okay with that.

There's always the alternative of embracing madness.

If you ever decide you hate money, time, and being able to enjoy games ever again, I'd be happy to recommend you. <3

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2009
    In other lame sitcom news, I've always associated Ted Moseby with Moniker.

Speaker on
    edited December 2009
    So It Goes wrote: »

How does one even get into that? I thought about it but I had no idea where to even start. I'd love to be an editor.

Send your resume to Houghton Mifflin or something.

moniker on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

There's always the alternative of embracing madness.

If you ever decide you hate money, time, and being able to enjoy games ever again, I'd be happy to recommend you. <3

Game Tester?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited December 2009

I got an internship with a small publishing house near my university. Some houses offer unpaid internships where you serve as the 'first line of defense' against unsolicited manuscripts.

Casual Eddy on
    edited December 2009
    In other lame sitcom news, I've always associated Ted Moseby with Moniker.

Didn't he pretty much get screwed by the job market and is no longer an architect or something last season? Sounds about right.

moniker on
    edited December 2009

i'm a one note person aren't I?

Casual Eddy on
    edited December 2009

I got an internship with a small publishing house near my university. Some houses offer unpaid internships where you serve as the 'first line of defense' against unsolicited manuscripts.

Do you get to write soul crushing response letters?

Speaker on
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Game Tester?

Yes.

I have enjoyed informing my backwoods carpenter relatives of how I make a living this holiday while they chop trees and shit.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2009
    i'm a one note person aren't I?
    As long as you keep using a lower-case "I," one is a lot more likely to happen than the other. :P

Thanatos on
    edited December 2009

Do they take non students, cause that boat already sailed. Also: do they exist outside NYC.

So It Goes on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Game Tester?

Yes.

I have enjoyed informing my backwoods carpenter relatives of how I make a living this holiday while they chop trees and shit.

Tree-chopping business ain't what it used to be.

Apparently Christmas Tree farms are fucking money though.

Alecthar on
    edited December 2009
    There was actually an article about that in The Stranger a couple weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure it's just a C&P.

Thanatos on
    edited December 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Game Tester?

Yes.

Tree-chopping business ain't what it used to be.

Apparently Christmas Tree farms are fucking money though.

Yes. Also I have some family members who are solidly lower upper middle class who are pondering dropping their fat salaries to take up organic farming for uber cash.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2009

Do they take non students, cause that boat already sailed. Also: do they exist outside NYC.

Don't most schools have a University Press? Are you nearby any relatively large colleges?

moniker on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Lots of dudes want a girl who is 'one of the dudes' and 'lets me be myself' and stuff like that

I dunno

I find that unattractive

Sure I want to be accepted depsite my peculiarities, and I don't want to always walk on egg shells and hold in farts and stuff

But I do like me some romance and mystery and gushing

Organichu on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    this remix is frustrating me

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009
    Like, if you want to write, you just write a lot and send it out a lot until someone doesn't reject you.

If you want to edit manuscripts you...become friends with a lot of writers and give them free advice?

So It Goes on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I forgot how much I enjoy playing Halo multiplayer.

Cinders on
    edited December 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Don't most schools have a University Press? Are you nearby any relatively large colleges?

Not really. Good idea though.

So It Goes on
    edited December 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Lots of dudes want a girl who is 'one of the dudes' and 'lets me be myself' and stuff like that

I dunno

I find that unattractive

Sure I want to be accepted depsite my peculiarities, and I don't want to always walk on egg shells and hold in farts and stuff

These ideas seem unconnected.

You know that women can have complex personalities just like real people can, right?

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2009

No, but I do get to write 1-2 page reports for the editors, recommending rejection or that the editor take a closer look. I take 15 or so minutes to write the report, and usually by the first 10 pages or so I know if its shit or not. I do love rejecting someone's life work. People pour their hearts into manuscripts and they all suck!

although if someone sends in a query (20 or so pages of a manuscript with a cover letter) I get to post them a pre-printed rejection postcard. It's awesome.

Casual Eddy on
    edited December 2009
    Organichu wrote: »

I dunno

I find that unattractive

I'm hoping to find a girl that compliments my weaknesses and so forces me to be a better person. For instance I'm very outgoing with people I know, but introverted in just about every other circumstances so hopefully she'd prod me into going out more and meeting people. &c.

moniker on
    edited December 2009
    Like, if you want to write, you just write a lot and send it out a lot until someone doesn't reject you.

If you want to edit manuscripts you...become friends with a lot of writers and give them free advice?

Basically yes.

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.