As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] of the Martyrs

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    How much would a person expect to pay for a night in a crappy roadside hotel?

$50? Depends on how crappy/how much you enjoy getting shot.

Also depends on how close to a city you are- and what city. The further out, the cheaper, generally. Things tend to be cheaper in the South (excluding Southern Florida). $50 is a good estimate but, like Syphon said, it also depends on how crappy.

If all we were doing was sleeping there, as long as it was clean and the door locked and had a shower, I'd be fine.

BobCesca on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A city doesn't have to major to be interesting.

Coast to coast seems like it would be a lot more distance to cover.

japan on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    DC and Boston are the only major cities on the east coast

the only ones

Sure, if you don't count Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, Savannah, Atlanta, Charleston, New York, Charlotte, Baltimore, Philadelphia...

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    YAWN

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    I ate too many breakfast sandwiches. Urgh.

BobCesca on
    edited December 2009
    Whoa. So every year around the new year I send myself a message from futureme.com

I was actually pretty good at predicting this year. I don't think I've disappointed myself at all. That is good.
    The following is an e-mail from the past, composed on Friday, December 26, 2008, and sent via FutureMe.org
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear FutureMe,

I hope you're doing better than I am. If not, why not? Remember what you told me two years ago. Remember that you are mortal. Remember that you will die.

Get out of the city. You've done your time.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

the only ones

Sure, if you don't count Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, Savannah, Atlanta, Charleston, New York, Charlotte, Baltimore, Philadelphia...

What "touristy" things are there to do in these cities? Miami, Philly, Savannah are all pretty cool, and New York is definitely somewhere to stop. But the others are pretty... mundane and basic. I'm sure each city has their own "cool thing to do", but that doesn't mean he should stop at all these places. Hell, Chattanooga has some cool things to do, but I wouldn't recommend he come here and "See Rock City" as the signs would suggest he do. It's just not that interesting.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    Whoa. So every year around the new year I send myself a message from futureme.com

I was actually pretty good at predicting this year. I don't think I've disappointed myself at all. That is good.
    The following is an e-mail from the past, composed on Friday, December 26, 2008, and sent via FutureMe.org

Dear FutureMe,

I hope you're doing better than I am. If not, why not? Remember what you told me two years ago. Remember that you are mortal. Remember that you will die.

That's awesome. What did you do exactly?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    You don't need to have a specific thing to do in mind when visiting a city.

japan on
    edited December 2009
    memo to [chat]: we're not necessarily into "touristy" things. Food, churches, buildings and museums are what we do.

BobCesca on
    edited December 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Dear FutureMe,

That's awesome. What did you do exactly?

I'm just a lot happier and more productive and very very close to moving out of the city. Hopefully I'll be off in a new wonderful place by summer. I'm not sure what to write myself for next year. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow... my character in D&D Adventures.

Wow.

:lol:

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited December 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    memo to [chat]: we're not necessarily into "touristy" things. Food, churches, buildings and museums are what we do.

You guys should watch Man vs Food before hand then. He goes to a lot of amazing restaurants and if that's your thing, then you should be able to scout out some places through that show before hand.

Museums are everywhere, so I guess wherever you stop you'll be golden.

When are you guys planning your trip?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Watch lots of Food Network before you come!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    edited December 2009

You guys should watch Man vs Food before hand then. He goes to a lot of amazing restaurants and if that's your thing, then you should be able to scout out some places through that show before hand.

Museums are everywhere, so I guess wherever you stop you'll be golden.

When are you guys planning your trip?

some hypothetical point in the future when we have money.

We do this every few months or so: plan an amazing two week holiday somewhere we haven't been before which essentially involves wandering about wherever we get the fancy in a certain country or area.

I dunno; maybe in a couple of years we'll have the money for these things.

BobCesca on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

the only ones

What "touristy" things are there to do in these cities? Miami, Philly, Savannah are all pretty cool, and New York is definitely somewhere to stop. But the others are pretty... mundane and basic. I'm sure each city has their own "cool thing to do", but that doesn't mean he should stop at all these places. Hell, Chattanooga has some cool things to do, but I wouldn't recommend he come here and "See Rock City" as the signs would suggest he do. It's just not that interesting.

Beach, Disney, Busch Gardens, See idealized representations of the south, has some nice shopping areas, some nice seafood

Thomamelas on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

the only ones

The Gods made final battle in Rock City. It's a pretty important landmark. Duh.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    How much would a person expect to pay for a night in a crappy roadside hotel?

$50? Depends on how crappy/how much you enjoy getting shot.

If you pack a tent you can pay ~$20 a night to camp in a public campground, or you can sleep for free in federal parks. I don't know how amenable you and Bob might be to the outdoors but it is both economical and very much part of the quintessential American road trip experience.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2009
    Also, in my hypothetical US trip, there will be no massive tourist park things involved. Disney will be relegated to cartoons on the TV, and that is all.

EDIT: camping is forbidden. It's the rule. I do not do camping. Ever.

BobCesca on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have $45 bucks to EBGames. What should I spend it on?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Something they sell presumably.

Possibly a game.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited December 2009
    Also, in my hypothetical US trip, there will be no massive tourist park things involved. Disney will be relegated to cartoons on the TV, and that is all.

This whole post is fail.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    edited December 2009

This whole post is fail.

I have health reasons for not camping.

And I hate touristy things.

Therefore, no fail.

BobCesca on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Disney is a rather distinctive experience. Camping does require equipment which would be a bitch to bring over and expensive to buy here for a trip. From a logistics standpoint it's not worth it.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2009
    If I had my way, Personal Injury Solicitors would have to call themselves something that made it clear they are a firm of solicitors.

There is one here that is called "The National Accident Helpline" and does TV ads deliberately styled to resemble government public information ads.

japan on
    edited December 2009

This whole post is fail.

I have health reasons for not camping.

And I hate touristy things.

Therefore, no fail.

Your health is fail.

Kagera on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What exactly constitutes "touristy things"? Food and museums sound kind of touristy to me.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Disney is a rather distinctive experience. Camping does require equipment which would be a bitch to bring over and expensive to buy here for a trip. From a logistics standpoint it's not worth it.

Two weeks at a bare minimum of $50 a night is $700 and if you splurge on hotels closer to $1000 or even more. You can get a two-man tent and a bunch of paraphernalia for way cheaper than that with a bit of planning.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2009
    In fact isn't the whole point of going anywhere to 'tour' it?

Kagera on
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

the only ones

It was about 8 years ago but I went to on this vacation with my grandparents; we ended up going to the Appomattox area of Virginia (interesting-ish) and somewhere else there, to Jacksonville, NC for family (BLERGH), somewhere in Georgia (that I don't remember)...

But what I really remember from that trip was Charleston, SC because there were some really, really pretty areas in the city- especially the older parts.

I totally want to go back just to drive around and see if it's as awesome as I remember but I thought parts of it were gorgeous.

radroadkill on
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

I think when people say they don't want to do "touristy" things they mean they don't want an artificial-feeling experience. Disney is worth visiting on its own merits but if you are there to see Florida it is a poor choice.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Two weeks at a bare minimum of $50 a night is $700 and if you splurge on hotels closer to $1000 or even more. You can get a two-man tent and a bunch of paraphernalia for way cheaper than that with a bit of planning.

They could just couch surf with some forumers. I'm sure there are a few that won't mind letting them crash at their place. Can't speak for future me, but I'm sure I wouldn't mind. Saves a bit of money if they do this a few nights.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

There's a lot of more interesting things than theme parks and super-crowded beaches.

I mean, sure it's fun to do these things if you live by them or have a lot of time but sometimes it's nice to not do them.

Going to Disneyworld is not what Florida is about, going to Six Flags is not Georgia.

I mean, not that there are a billion things more totally awesome and worth spending lots of effort to get to but there's definitely more interesting things that are way less stressful and less generic.

Edit: If I still lived in florida (even though I wasn't on the eastern seaboard part) you guys could've totally crashed with me and my friend. :D

...we happen to be stuck out in the Pacific now, but, you know, should anyone want to come to Hawaii...

:winky:

radroadkill on
    edited December 2009
    Going to Disney World is TOTALLY part of what going to Florida is about.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Thomamales. . .you may be with present tomorrow.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    What exactly constitutes "touristy things"? Food and museums sound kind of touristy to me.

It's hard to define precisely, but I tend to consider anything aimed at tourists, but with little to no relation to it's location, to be "touristy". Disney World, for example, could really be anywhere, it's only incidentally in Florida.

Also included is anything that is connected to its location, but which locals would have no reason or desire to visit. This encompasses most tourist trap places

japan on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I traveled with my parents from NYC all the way up north to Montreal etc. I remember those stupid little towns along the coast that looked just like in the movies. Even the kids my age (was 16 or something cant remember)fell right in the stereotypes from TV. Only three kids didn't. They wore odd clothes and everything. Saw em at some concert of an unknown band and one of em fell to the floor and did a little break dancing. Made me laugh.

I like America, but god damn you folks are good at being stereotypical.

Aldo on
    edited December 2009
    Why is Kagera being the worst poster today?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

It's hard to define precisely, but I tend to consider anything aimed at tourists, but with little to no relation to it's location, to be "touristy". Disney World, for example, could really be anywhere, it's only incidentally in Florida.

Also included is anything that is connected to its location, but which locals would have no reason or desire to visit. This encompasses most tourist trap places

You're just a better educated/upperclass tourist, mate. What you hate is the things working class/lower educated people love and what you like is what they are not interested in.

I think the politically correct term for your kind is 'traveller', but it just means you're a tourist who is interested in culture, arts and more authentic experiences.

Aldo on
    edited December 2009
    Well Florida's about horrid voting errors and alligators. Who wants to learn about THAT?

Kagera on
This discussion has been closed.