As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] of the Martyrs

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    I traveled with my parents from NYC all the way up north to Montreal etc. I remember those stupid little towns along the coast that looked just like in the movies. Even the kids my age (was 16 or something cant remember)fell right in the stereotypes from TV. Only three kids didn't. They wore odd clothes and everything. Saw em at some concert of an unknown band and one of em fell to the floor and did a little break dancing. Made me laugh.

I like America, but god damn you folks are good at being stereotypical.

As an American, I am confused by this. D:

radroadkill on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thomamales. . .you may be with present tomorrow.

No worries. My Secret Satan is still waiting for what I sent to make it's way through customs.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    japan wrote: »
    What exactly constitutes "touristy things"? Food and museums sound kind of touristy to me.

It's hard to define precisely, but I tend to consider anything aimed at tourists, but with little to no relation to it's location, to be "touristy". Disney World, for example, could really be anywhere, it's only incidentally in Florida.

Also included is anything that is connected to its location, but which locals would have no reason or desire to visit. This encompasses most tourist trap places

You're just a better educated/upperclass tourist, mate. What you hate is the things working class/lower educated people love and what you like is what they are not interested in.

I think the politically correct term for your kind is 'traveller', but it just means you're a tourist who is interested in culture, arts and more authentic experiences.

Can you elaborate more on the stereotype? I've always been curious about it. Kind of like how i've always wanted to hear English from the perspective of someone who doesn't speak english. Like what does it sound like when someone is pretending to speak english. i want to know :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What exactly constitutes "touristy things"? Food and museums sound kind of touristy to me.

It's hard to define precisely, but I tend to consider anything aimed at tourists, but with little to no relation to it's location, to be "touristy". Disney World, for example, could really be anywhere, it's only incidentally in Florida.

Also included is anything that is connected to its location, but which locals would have no reason or desire to visit. This encompasses most tourist trap places

You're just a better educated/upperclass tourist, mate. What you hate is the things working class/lower educated people love and what you like is what they are not interested in.

I think the politically correct term for your kind is 'traveller', but it just means you're a tourist who is interested in culture, arts and more authentic experiences.

Oh, I wouldn't say I wasn't a tourist, however in my experience it's more interesting to do stuff that is not specifically aimed at tourists. Whether people that actually live locally go to places is a useful guide, I find.

EDIT: Scotland is filled with tourist traps, so I may have a particularly strong aversion to them.

japan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I mean, all I get from people from other countries is my one British friend making fun of me for things when we get to talk. And maybe now some locals telling me I'm white.

For some reason I get the feeling Americans tend to be funny to a lot of other people from other countries. >>

radroadkill on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I traveled with my parents from NYC all the way up north to Montreal etc. I remember those stupid little towns along the coast that looked just like in the movies. Even the kids my age (was 16 or something cant remember)fell right in the stereotypes from TV. Only three kids didn't. They wore odd clothes and everything. Saw em at some concert of an unknown band and one of em fell to the floor and did a little break dancing. Made me laugh.

What?

Flip on the TV. What do you see? Suburbia. White people in pastel coloured clothing. Children are either preppy, emo, gothic or wigger.

I always thought it was just a stereotype just like you yanks think the Dutch walk around on clogs being stoned 24/7, but staying the night in motels in small towns between Boston and NYC and I saw a lot of people who walked right out of The OC or MTV.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can you elaborate more on the stereotype? I've always been curious about it. Kind of like how i've always wanted to hear English from the perspective of someone who doesn't speak english. Like what does it sound like when someone is pretending to speak english. i want to know :(
    Uhm, everyone I know speaks at least a few words of English, so we don't have pretend English like there's pretend-German (Chaplin), pretend-Swedish (Muppets) etc.

Classic American stereotype is the cowboy, modern stereotype is MTV.

Aldo on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well if there's one thing America is known for it's funny clothes. If there are two things that America is known for, they're funny clothes and breakdancing.

Bama on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Hello, [chat]

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bama wrote: »

Well if there's one thing America is known for it's funny clothes. If there are two things that America is known for, they're funny clothes and breakdancing.

Would the third be obesity? I would assume that would be number 1 with ignorance at 2 and arrogance and 3. I think you are not a true American Bama.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Uhm, everyone I know speaks at least a few words of English, so we don't have pretend English like there's pretend-German (Chaplin), pretend-Swedish (Muppets) etc.

Classic American stereotype is the cowboy, modern stereotype is MTV.

but.

america is just like mtv. that's not a stereotype

mtv style stuff is the most popular junk around. it's pretty much all you'll hear on the radio or see on the television. it is ubiquitous. we shape it. it shapes us.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Oh, I wouldn't say I wasn't a tourist, however in my experience it's more interesting to do stuff that is not specifically aimed at tourists. Whether people that actually live locally go to places is a useful guide, I find.

I know we have some PA people in FL but I'll ask my HS friends about anything particularly great about the east coast part they like to do/see/have heard good things about. Most of them are more inland in the big college towns (Gainesville, Tally, I think on or two in Jacksonville and one near Tampa) but they've had time to go places all around the state. A lot of it might be... college-scene spring break crap but a few tend to avoid those things and might have some ideas.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I always thought it was just a stereotype just like you yanks think the Dutch walk around on clogs being stoned 24/7, but staying the night in motels in small towns between Boston and NYC and I saw a lot of people who walked right out of The OC or MTV.
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    When I was in Budapest this summer we were watching the Hungarian MTV where they dubbed that dating show. It showed two black men on a date with a blonde suntanned girl on a farm somewhere in Texas.

Have you ever heard an Hungarian voice trying to come off as an African-American making a move on a blonde girl on a farm in Texas?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

What?

Flip on the TV. What do you see? Suburbia. White people in pastel coloured clothing. Children are either preppy, emo, gothic or wigger.

I guess. It's just not how I see it, I guess. Or, fuck, I don't know. It's weird. Like I see it, but view it different?

Not that it bothers me. I can only imagine what sort of stereotypical people Quid and I will be when we get older.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Would the third be obesity? I would assume that would be number 1 with ignorance at 2 and arrogance and 3. I think you are not a true American Bama.
    I don't know what you're talking about so I can only assume you're retarded.

...also I want a doughnut

Bama on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room

ahaha

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I used to live near Tampa, and the only things that I remember enjoying were the beach (which you can go in MANY other places) and Ybor City. Other than that, Tampa is pretty dull and about the same as any other large city. I'm sure there are a lot of things to do there that I just didn't do, but I don't recall any. Granted I did live there from the ages of 18 - 20, so I was a young kid. Also I was a pothead. So... there you go.

But I wouldn't ever go back there for anything other than friends.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm all scrubbed up and shaved since for the first time since Christmas Eve. I feel much less like a hobo now :D

Tav on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When I was in Paris last year the only difference I noticed about the clothes locals wore was that they weren't as bright as those worn in America. Hell, I wore what I typically wore at home and people were often surprised that I didn't speak French (or at least not well enough for them to understand me).

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Hell, I wore what I typically wore at home and people were often surprised that I didn't speak French (or at least not well enough for them to understand me).
    Just in case any of you weren't aware, Taranis typically lounges around the house in a black-and-white-striped shirt, a red neckerchief, and a beret.

Bama on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    for more fake English, look no further than your average Chinatown or Koreatown; anything designed to be sold to Americans is plastered in random words that may or may not actually have anything to do with one another.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Is...is that a trailer for sascha baron cohen's next movie?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    When I was in Paris last year the only difference I noticed about the clothes locals wore was that they weren't as bright as those worn in America. Hell, I wore what I typically wore at home and people were often surprised that I didn't speak French (or at least not well enough for them to understand me).
    Do you live in a big city? I noticed people in NYC dressed a lot better than outside the cities.

Aldo on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bah, stupid friends. More like plague carriers.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do you live in a big city? I noticed people in NYC dressed a lot better than outside the cities.

also, liberals tend to dress more... continental....

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

proximity to Manhattan is no guarantee of fashion sense, but it generally does ensure that at least you'll feel more awkward about it if you don't have any fashion sense....

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    When I was in Tokyo, the only difference was everything.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    I hear they live underground.

Bama on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I dress like a 1700s colonial American.

Bitch to put all that shit on in the morning.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yup.
    Tokyo is crazy, but in a good way.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I dress like a 1700s colonial American.

Bitch to put all that shit on in the morning.

but one look at his ass in those tights and goddeammmmm. papa popped a woody, ya hear?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited December 2009

There's more people in Tokyo then there is in Canada.

I find this terrifying for some reason.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

There's more people in Tokyo then there is in Canada.

I find this terrifying for some reason.

are you counting moose?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was here all of 15 minutes and I already want to scream at a co-worker.

I mean for fucks sake, bitch, you've been here 4 months and you're making the same mistakes you were making in week 1. It's really not that hard of a job.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    HerrCron wrote: »

Yup.
    Tokyo is crazy, but in a good way.

This is a city I plan on visiting at some point in my life. Japanese culture highly interests me.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was here all of 15 minutes and I already want to scream at a co-worker.

I mean for fucks sake, bitch, you've been here 4 months and you're making the same mistakes you were making in week 1. It's really not that hard of a job.

I'm about sick of work.

Fuck. I have another 31.5 hours to go this week. Damnit.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm utterly disgusted with this job and the people I have to deal with. Just because it's a fucking mail room doesn't mean it should employ a cripple and 2 retards. I'd rather deal with illegals that don't speak english.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This shaving set my sis got me is pretty awesome. My face smells great.

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.