As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Retro On] Playing through the top 100 NES games! [NSF56K]

• AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh wait, I remember now. My first NES game was definitely Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt.

Hours and hours of playing that game only to die thousands of times and never beat it. I loved SMB so hard when I was little (...and now).

AlyceInWonderland on
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You are a good man. Always glad to see some classic NES playin'.

Also, I know you probably aren't taking requests, but I wanted to let you know about two NES games that are not on your list but worth checking out: Gun-Nac (space shooter) and Shatterhand (punchemup sidescroller with great music). They are not well known by any means but they're the best NES games I've come across since the classic era.

I don't want to go too deep into "Why isn't XXX on the list?!" but seriously, EVERYONE needs to check out Shatterhand. You run around punching fools and the cool mechanic was the little robot buddies you got. You find these blocks that show a Greek letter (alpha, beta, etc.) and when you get three of them, you get a robot. Depending on the letters you picked up, your robot will be different. You can change the lettering on the blocks by punching them so you can always mess around with different robots. One of my favorites for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-42KqgwXE

House of Paincakes on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's been some discussion of great games not on the list, and I'd like to say that Power Blade is pretty high on my list. I only discovered it this year, but it's a platformer that uses the enemies of Megaman, Castlevania, and Mario 3, has the tight controls of Megaman, and features an Arnold Schwartzenegger clone who throws razor boomerangs (with pretty good return physics for an NES game) and can transform into a energy-beam shooting Robocop. It's filled with powerups that let you throw more/faster/further/stronger boomerangs. There are grenades, but the default weapon is so cool I never use them. The levels are about 1/4 Metroid, 3/4 Megaman in complexity - there are multiple ways to go, and you'll go up, down, and backwards about as often as forward. The music is also as catchy as the NES Megaman tunes.

I don't know why it never caught on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiluQeNoBT4

Delzhand on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Woo, I still own Powerblade for my NES. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Powerblade looks pretty cool but man, those running animation sprites are awful :D

House of Paincakes on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think that anytime there is a "top -number- games on NES" list, SMB3 should claim the number one spot. My fondest early gaming memories come from that game. It was damn near perfect in every way also.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Still got to question the placement of several of these games on your list and how some are missing completely - but you said it yourself: it's your list. So far, I like what you're doing here - keep it up. :)

EDIT: I do see you thought about adding a suggestion list though. Here's what I might add:

Startropics II
    Super Spy Hunter
    Metal Storm
    Mighty Final Fight
    Vice: Project Doom
    Ninja Gaiden III
    Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers
    Mission: Impossible
    G.I. Joe
    Rescue: The Embassy Mission
    RollerGames
    The Lone Ranger

Slagmire on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Powerblade looks pretty cool but man, those running animation sprites are awful :D

What are you talking about, I run like that all the time :(

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Woo, I still own Powerblade for my NES. :^:

I was so dissapointed with Power Blade 2. Just like I was with Power Punch 2 aka Mike Tyson vs the Universe!

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited December 2009
    Never played Power Blade 2. Hurry up and get to Mega Man 2, good sir. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I noticed that Top Gun isn't on the list anywhere either.

Not that it was a super great game or anything, but it's a game that deserves notice for the fact that if you could land on that fucking aircraft carrier, you should probably apply to the Air Force.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited December 2009
    Urg...Top Gun...the bane of my existance.

The AVGN was right on point with how utterly craptastic and cheap that game was. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2009

Not that it was a super great game or anything, but it's a game that deserves notice for the fact that if you could land on that fucking aircraft carrier, you should probably apply to the Air Force.

Man, that's a whole separate sorta list.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

There are many... many things wrong with this statement.

Slagmire on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember Top Gun. I literally demanded my dad drive me back to the video store to exchange it back when I rented it for a weekend as a kid. I claimed it was "broken".

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited December 2009
    Urg...Top Gun...the bane of my existance.

The AVGN was right on point with how utterly craptastic and cheap that game was. :x

That was one of the best episodes the Angry Video Game Nerd ever did. He could not fucking land on that carrier. It was even funnier when he later did an episode on the Nintendo Power Glove, to show how shitty it was....

Except he actually managed to land on the carrier while using the glove. The look on his face was priceless. Even if it was scripted, I laughed my ass off.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited December 2009
    Not to mention that the level after that you had to align up with another plane to refill on gas.

If you couldn't do it, the plane left and it was then IMPOSSIBLE to finish the level since your gas would run out. :x

God I hated that game as a kid, and still do to this day.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    This thread is going places.

(Defender of the Crown goes here)

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited December 2009
    Just realized that two of my favorite games on the NES is on your list, and I can't wait till you play them: The Guardian Legend and Maniac Mansion. :mrgreen:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Batman was so much fun, but hard as shit.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think the first game I ever beat was Dragon Warrior.

River City Ransom was my favorite game to play with a friend. Glad to see it's in the list, or I would post up some bitchin'.

Although I wish the Terminator 2 video game was on there. There's a level where you need to not kill people in the hospital, so you have to shoot them in the knees all level! Brilliant!

CowShark on
    edited December 2009
    Seriously, I consider River City Ransom to be one of the best games of all time. It was such a simple brawler, but the co-op was just fantastic, as were the character animations, and the fact that you could use anything (including enemies and even your own friend!) as a weapon.

It's one of those great games that just couldn't be done today.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I do love RCR. I think getting that on Virtual Console made getting a Wii worth it. I think you could do that game today, but you need the same character models. It made it so worth it.

Also, I am pretty sure that I beat a few games before this one, but I distinctly remember beating Rampage and it had that terribly unsatisfactory ending. It can not be forgotten.

Spicy_Rev on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Batman was so much fun, but hard as shit.

This. I think it may have been my favorite Batman game until Arkham Asylum. Which doesn't say much for the franchise.

The list is missing Metal Storm :(. I remember renting that and being blown away by the graphics (my have we come a long way). Plus you can change gravity at will!

Tomanta on
    edited December 2009
    The best part about RCR was that it was one of those rare games that was not Nintendo Hard - it punished you for dying, but it was not terribly punishing. It's one of the first action games I remember with infinite lives. Also that infinite life with no penalty cheat with two players, if you can manage to leave the screen before the other player is fully dead. :)

UncleSporky on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My god, I am definitely subscribing to this thread. I rememer doing 10x the chores for my parents when I was a kid just so I could have enough allowance to buy half the games on this list.

My NEStosterone is definitely getting the better of me.

Morvidus on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys, thanks for all the support! I went to see Avatar and Sherlock Holmes today, and both were really good! I tried to bring along Bill and Ted to play while waiting in the theater, and boy was that a mistake; this game is genuinely terrible. I don't know how it made the top 100.

I am going to have to use a walkthrough every step of the way for this game. I couldn't figure out the fucking phone book without a guide, because it doesn't explain it very well in-game.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited December 2009
    Seriously, I consider River City Ransom to be one of the best games of all time. It was such a simple brawler, but the co-op was just fantastic, as were the character animations, and the fact that you could use anything (including enemies and even your own friend!) as a weapon.

It's one of those great games that just couldn't be done today.

BARF!
    Hey guys, thanks for all the support! I went to see Avatar and Sherlock Holmes today, and both were really good! I tried to bring along Bill and Ted to play while waiting in the theater, and boy was that a mistake; this game is genuinely terrible. I don't know how it made the top 100.

I am going to have to use a walkthrough every step of the way for this game. I couldn't figure out the fucking phone book without a guide, because it doesn't explain it very well in-game.

I rented that game as a kid. I couldn't even get started. Then, like 18 years later I must have looked it up on Gamefaqs or something - you have to dial the number that's flashing red or something? Just to begin playing the game? Fuck whoever thought that up. Even if it was in the manual, rental games didn't usually come with them.

Delzhand on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I rented Bill & Ted when I was a kid, but my only real memory of it was playing the wild west level. And it was isometric. It didn't really leave an impression on me, good or bad.

SteevL on
  • toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just realized that two of my favorite games on the NES is on your list, and I can't wait till you play them: The Guardian Legend and Maniac Mansion. :mrgreen:

I put waaaaay too much time into that game when I was a kid and yet I didn't beat it till I was about to finish High School. It was still tons of awesome. I liked the mix of shump and Zeldaesque gameplay.

I think the first game I ever finished was Megaman 2. That game, for a while, was the only thing I would play trying to beat it faster each time. Man, now I want to go back and play it D:

toolbert on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I loved me some River City Ransom. And another NES game I spent waaay too much time on was Clash at Demonhead. I had so much fun with that game.

EclecticGroove on
    edited December 2009
    toolbert wrote: »

I put waaaaay too much time into that game when I was a kid and yet I didn't beat it till I was about to finish High School. It was still tons of awesome. I liked the mix of shump and Zeldaesque gameplay.

I think the first game I ever finished was Megaman 2. That game, for a while, was the only thing I would play trying to beat it faster each time. Man, now I want to go back and play it D:

You're encouraged to go back and play any games I am playing and tell us how it went :)

That's part of why I decided to post about this, to bring back old memories of NES games we played as kids.

Edit: Oh and if anyone has any tips / tricks for any games I am currently playing, post them! It'll certainly help me out if I haven't played them before :P

Spawnbroker on
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maniac Mansion is on that list?

Dude, you have to play that to conclusion - I can't believe they fit that game into a NES.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    edited December 2009
    Wow, you guys aren't kidding about Shatterhand. It's a blast.

Delzhand on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The first NES game I ever beat was Tiny Toons Adventure. 8-)

I beat Super Mario Bros for the first time on the Virtual Console.

The first NES game I ever saw was the original Zelda. I didn't know "the Nintendo" could play more than one game. Nintendo = the game with the three hearts in the corner.

Taya on
    edited December 2009
    Spawnbroker: Did you try what I said about Spy Hunter?

It's worth trying for a hoot. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2009
    Spawnbroker: Did you try what I said about Spy Hunter?

It's worth trying for a hoot. :P

I tried it out, couldn't get it to work :/

I had to move on to other games though, because I have a looooong way to go. I haven't hit a true RPG yet, and I know those will take most of my time. I believe The Magic of Sheherazade is the first real RPG I will be playing.

Spawnbroker on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    While not a great game, I have fond memories of Karnov. That ball-headed dude could shoot some fireballs. I never understood for one second what the plot was or why anything was happening, but dang it was fun to play.

Spicy_Rev on
    edited December 2009
    Karnov was wonderful fun actually, except those blasted mummies took so many hits to die....or un-die....or something. O_o

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This list fails in every respect. I am so utterly appalled that the words escape me. Why is U-Four-Ia not on this list? I'm shutting this thread down for violations against the universe.

Apothe0sis on