As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I feel like beating up a truckload of Asians

2»

• Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    If you have a 360 may I suggest Ninety-Nine Nights? I had quite a lot of fun with the game, especially with the later characters you unlock like the big dude that has earth/fire powers.

I really liked the setting of 99 compared to all the other games of this type, but the gameplay was just really obnoxious at a lot of points. I really hope the sequel in development makes it a bit less lousy

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just wanted to chime in and say that SW2 is my favorite of all the warrior games released so far. The bonus missions you get after finishing each characters story mode in particular are almost uniformly awesome. You've got everything from Kojiro and Musashi teaming up by themselves to take on almost every general in the game and their armies, to Hideyoshi's wife going into psycho mommy mode in the middle of the battle of Sekigahara.

Hanzo: (preparing to assasinate one of your key officers) "This is your last chance. Join us, or die."
    Allied Officer: (blubbering) "My mom told me I'm not allowed to talk to you. She says you're a bad influence!"

Mad Mac on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I played a good amount of DW5, and it was pretty great. The friend I was playing with, that owns them all, didn't seem to enjoy DW6. And didn't bother buying it.

I own both DWG games, though. The first one is great for the fun story, which I've been enjoying more as I learn more about Gundam. The second one is just a ton of missions and stuff to unlock, so it's probably better to go with that one. It's also the newest Warriors game out right now, besides Empires, I believe.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GenocideHeartGenocideHeart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only thing that annoys me about DW5 is that weapon weight is pretty worthless without the Xtreme Legends expansion. XL actually makes weapon weight matter something other than speed you swing it at - lighter weapons do less damage but attack a lot faster, while heavier weapons may have their combos blocked more easily, but when they do hit they inflict an unholy amount of damage.

I liked that, and can't help but wonder why Koei waited until XL to put that tweak in. It'd have made DW5 much more enjoyable, letting you tactically decide what to use - a heavy, clunky, painful weapon or a lighter, swift, weaker one. Or the middle ground, of course.

...okay, I lied. Another thing that annoyed me was Ling Tong. Come on, I understand nunchucks are supposed to be a quick weapon, but Ling Tong is ridiculous. The moment he catches you in a combo at the harder levels and knocks you in the air, you might as well reset because he'll kill you with an unending stream of attacks... I find him worse than Lu Bu, and that says it all.

GenocideHeart on
    "I... It's Lu Bu! Lu Bu has come to destroy us all!!"
    --Random grunt about to be destroyed in DW5
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I played a good amount of DW5, and it was pretty great. The friend I was playing with, that owns them all, didn't seem to enjoy DW6. And didn't bother buying it.

I own both DWG games, though. The first one is great for the fun story, which I've been enjoying more as I learn more about Gundam. The second one is just a ton of missions and stuff to unlock, so it's probably better to go with that one. It's also the newest Warriors game out right now, besides Empires, I believe.

The best part about DWG2 is trying to see how fast you can clear stages.

(The best way to do this of course is with Overdrive + Turn A Gundam and just nuke the hell out of everything)

The only thing I don't really like about 2 is that friendly AI feels a lot less helpful, and that in all the random stages and such the bulk of your army rarely bothers to attack, sans named pilots and a few guys following them.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    he only thing that annoys me about DW5 is that weapon weight is pretty worthless without the Xtreme Legends expansion. XL actually makes weapon weight matter something other than speed you swing it at - lighter weapons do less damage but attack a lot faster, while heavier weapons may have their combos blocked more easily, but when they do hit they inflict an unholy amount of damage.

Huh, I never played XL for DW5, so I didn't realize they did that. One of the things I liked about the SW series is that they gave every character different caps on their attributes, so that a fast character would never hit as hard as a strong character, and so forth. They also included speed and agility as stats that grew with levels, so a leveled up ninja could almost outrun a horse. That was a cool touch.

I honestly kinda drifted away from DW after 3. I played the hell out of 3, (it was my first) played a lot of 4, but ended up selling it after a while because it didn't have the same spark, and barely played 5 at all. I've just touched 6, mostly because I got it for the PS2 and the pop-up issue on that version is ridiculous.

The whole Samurai Warriors series I loved as much as I did DW 3 back in the day. I have Warriors Orochi 2, but for some reason the lack of story mode for individual characters puts me off. It just doesn't seem as fun to play the same 3 campaigns with 57 different character combinations.

Mad Mac on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Avoid Ninety Nine Nights... DW and its like do the system much better justice.

That said, I have had a lot of fun with DW5:Empires. I look forward to trying DW6:Empires. The Empires series adds some strategy to the battles you participate in. You find yourself taking over or defending territory while shifting officers around to accommodate. The battles are fought in traditional DW style battles, its just that you have some control beyond the battles themselves. Its like it borrows just a touch of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which is welcome by me.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    The only thing I don't really like about 2 is that friendly AI feels a lot less helpful, and that in all the random stages and such the bulk of your army rarely bothers to attack, sans named pilots and a few guys following them.

The big problem with the ally AI is that it never, ever effectively attacks Mobile Armors. I cannot count the number of times I Game Over'd because Elpeo Puru suicide-charged Puru-Two in the Psyco Gundam MkII. And to add insult to injury...
    ...she gets a bad case of cutscene death right after you successfully protect her, and then you fight the Psyco MkII AGAIN.

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The big problem with the ally AI is that it never, ever effectively attacks Mobile Armors. I cannot count the number of times I Game Over'd because Elpeo Puru suicide-charged Puru-Two in the Psyco Gundam MkII. And to add insult to injury...
    ...she gets a bad case of cutscene death right after you successfully protect her, and then you fight the Psyco MkII AGAIN.

God, that part would have pissed me off so much if the stage wasn't so short.

At least it's the only spot in the game where that sort of stuff really gave me any trouble, so it could have been much worse.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

At least it's the only spot in the game where that sort of stuff really gave me any trouble, so it could have been much worse.

Like when you fight the Alpha Azieru with its 6 gajillion funnel spam of death? That fight made me deeply hate Quess.

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Like when you fight the Alpha Azieru with its 6 gajillion funnel spam of death? That fight made me deeply hate Quess.

I didn't find it too hard, as most characters can take out the funnels with one of their SP attacks, even if it's not the most efficient way to destroy them at least you're invincible during it.

Though I did hate Quess even before going into that! :P

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fighting the MAs when using one of the crappy mobile suits that can't smash attack and has a horrible special attack...ugh.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I never use Smash Attacks on Mobile Armors anyway, so losing that is immaterial to me.

And few things kill a MA faster than a point-blank SP attack from the Zeong. Dear God, seeing that lifebar go down to basically nothing in one hit was epic.

(on a side note, several grunt MSs have very powerful SP attacks. The Gyan comes to mind...)

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just want to say that Char's Zaku with all speed ups in the item slots is the best thing. Half the time I'm doing co-op and a buddy asks "where are you" and I get to answer "I really have no idea, but I'll back you up in like 5 seconds."

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just want to say that Char's Zaku with all speed ups in the item slots is the best thing. Half the time I'm doing co-op and a buddy asks "where are you" and I get to answer "I really have no idea, but I'll back you up in like 5 seconds."

Personally, I get to do that when I am piloting the Z Gundam. Waverider mode >>>>>>>>>> any distance.

The ZZ, Hambrabi and Baund Doc can also do it, but I hate the ZZ, the Hambrabi has a worthless SP attack, and the Baund Doc, while pretty sweet, can be hard to maneuver with, given how it's huge compared to most other playable MSs.

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a Crysis thread

I always feel like beating up a truckload of black people. Which is why RE4 is so soothing.
    Misleading thread titles deserve to be brutalized like a boatload of Jews.

falsedef on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you have a PSP, strike force is an amazing dynasty warriors game. I find it disturbing that no one has paid it any attention.
    It's somewhere between a much less punishing monster hunter(item collecting, upgrades, boss fights, adhoc coop) and dissidia (movesets, character diversity, equipment)

Magitek on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    falsedef wrote: »

I always feel like beating up a truckload of mexicans Which is why RE4 is so soothing.

Fix'd.

:P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I liked DW5:E. Mashin' buttons, ridin' my horse, capping spawn points, conquering China. I haven't tried DW6 or DW6E yet, but I notice the engine is supposed to be prettied up this time. Reading mixed reviews on DW6E though -- disregarding the price difference between them, would I be better just grabbing an old used copy of SW2E for my beat em up empire kick, or should I move on to DW6E?

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    falsedef wrote: »

I always feel like beating up a truckload of mexicans Which is why RE4 is so soothing.

Fix'd.

:P

Congratulations! You both are wrong.

RE5 had infected Africans and RE4 had infected Spaniards.

The thread title is a reference to hundreds of warriors showing up out of nowhere, as if dropped off by an invisible truck. Its a staple of the DW series; a means of keeping about 100 men on screen while not keeping 1000 on the map.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In the Gundam games, they sorta have a good reason to just appear from nowhere. They drop in from the sky, which at least makes sense outside/in space. When you're inside, though, watching them float up off the screen when you clear a field is...weird...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Reynolds wrote: »
    In the Gundam games, they sorta have a good reason to just appear from nowhere. They drop in from the sky, which at least makes sense outside/in space. When you're inside, though, watching them float up off the screen when you clear a field is...weird...

Rule of Gundam number 1: when something makes no sense, blame Minovsky particles. :P

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm giving the DLC missions in Strikeforce a spin, and I must say:

Killing Ice Bi Xie = Easy.

Killing Ice Bi Xie while being zerged by Sima Yi, Zhen Ji, Cao Pi and tigers all over the place = ARGH PAIN DEATH

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bumping this for relevant news:

http://kotaku.com/5380244/tecmo-koei-bringing-fist-of-north-star-to-ps3xbox-360

A Fist of the North Star themed Dynasty Warriors game sounds pretty awesome, I just hope Koei brings it over to the US. Since they're making a 360 version, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about that.

I wonder if it'll have gore, since Fist of the North Star isn't complete without the ultraviolence!

Slicer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009
    And I guess it's worth noting that Basara 3 will make it to the west without being turned into a bunch of luchadores for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvkP_nBiCw

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, I will totally import Hokuto Musou if it doesn't come out here. I'd give it a 50/50 shot, honestly.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I own EVERY version of DW from 4 up to 6. I have every version of SW. I have both WO.
    And I'm going to buy SW3 and SB3 when they come out.
    Dear god they have so much of my money its not even funny.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I picked up DW6:E for Christmas (actually, I picked it up and gave it to my sister to give to me...) and just got around to messing around with it. Since the instruction manual is crap, I created a few characters to look at things and then decided to start on Easy and feel my way around. Joined Sun Jian after a couple of months, still not really sure how things worked, and somehow ended up with Xiao Quan and Zhen Ji as my two of my friends (third was some genericish guy) and decided to go full on harem... which went nowhere for about a year or two of game. About that point, I was wondering if Officer mode was supposed to be this horrible, because Sun Jian had conquered about 3 territories total. Then one of the female characters I created offered to join me, so I gave whoever the boot and brought her in.

The first thing she did was go "You know, you should be in charge, let's revolt!" Thanks, creation.

So anyway... is Officer mode supposed to be that painfully lame? Or was Sun Jian just being uncharacteristically terrible? Also, I joined Sun Ce's Faction while I was with Sun Jian... what was up with that exactly? The manual is also crap for explaining how combos work in this one. "Hold Y for different attacks." That only seems to give two different ones. I've gotten a weapon with infinite renbu at this point, which apparently extends my base combos, but such things aren't even mentioned at all in Mr. Useful Manual, and the power attacks don't seem to be affected either.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd have to say Warriors Orochi 2 is probably the best way to go overall. Biggest cast of characters, lots of missions, and I enjoyed the weapon crafting.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DW6:E?
    Split screen co-op like 5:E?
    Please?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I am looking for a game I swear is made by Koei. I can't remeber the cover but in the game you had levels that weren'y Dynasty Warrior levels, well they where but that wasn't the style. You played as a leader the level I remember the most was a boat battle and you played as zhuge liang. There was a lot of fire and you could cast spells. The battles were about keeping your troops morale up and you could kill enemies but not at the Dynasty Warrior rate.

Or am I making all this up? It was for the PS2 I know this.

I might have to get a new Dynasty Warriors I have a friend who we used to sit down and play DW2 all the time. It was so great we played for over a 100 hours and still didn't get everything there was to get in that game.

The most satisfying moment was getting a character who could rape Lu Bu. Ain't so strong now are you? Mother Fucker.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kessen? Dynasty Tactics?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Kessen? Dynasty Tactics?

YES THANK YOU IT'S KESSEN.

Fuck I love that game.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    So anyway... is Officer mode supposed to be that painfully lame? Or was Sun Jian just being uncharacteristically terrible?
    Well... normally after a few months you're supposed to start getting "Invade This Territory" missions from the guy in charge pretty much every Council Meeting.

Also, the only point of belonging to a faction, as far as I can see, is that if you disagree with your ruler's policy for the next three months and want to suggest another, your fellow faction member will back you up.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like all of these games. DW:G has crazy Lubu syndrome. Characters who you can't put down, no matter what, even on Easy. I gave up and found it frustrating.

I liked Ninety-Nine Nights, sort of. The fact that the second level for Asphar is nearly impossible to finish, and if you die you don't save any of your character's progress makes me want to punch babies, children afflicated with Down's Syndrome, old ladies with dementia.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd have to say Warriors Orochi 2 is probably the best way to go overall. Biggest cast of characters, lots of missions, and I enjoyed the weapon crafting.

Yeah, Warriors Orochi 2 has definitely been my favorite by a long shot. Something about three characters just makes it that much more crazy, and thus that much more entertaining. Plus, there's far more awesome characters together.

edit: On a somewhat related note, has anyone seen John Woo's extraordinarily long Three Kingdoms movie, Red Cliff?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    edit: On a somewhat related note, has anyone seen John Woo's extraordinarily long Three Kingdoms movie, Red Cliff?

I missed it when it came through earlier in the month, but I'm interested in seeing it.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png