As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I forgot to mention that Og , i did the quest with a guild groiup 6 times or so, and then when my friend and his wife started playing I did the quests AGAIN, so it just turns out that I did them wayyyyy to many times.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh man, I feel dumb.

Thanks, guys.

On the fence about starting AQ20 right now. I want new armor, but I'm also thinking of going back and doing some grey quests for AA experience.

I personally didn't bother with the AQ20 since for like 1g I got armor that was much better on the AH. YMMV I suppose.

I like it just because, even if the stats suck, it's something to stick in the cosmetic slots so that I don't look like I'm wearing a clown suit.

Ah well, there is that I suppose. I'm actually wearing a full suit of Frostfell gear I got from grinding tokens. The grinding didn't take long at all really.

Not as long as you do the Hard version. That's like 25 tokens per run. Easy gives maybe 10. That Frostfell gear is actually good, too.

Heh, I ran Hard with some Enchanter/Coercer (I forget what class they were, but they could charm). Charm made that whole instance a cake walk. The Charmer charms that one giant who dishes your DPS dmg back at you. We take him to the final boss and let him solo her.

I was like, huh o_O.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So how do you get the tokens for Frostfell? The armor from there's way nicer than the AQ20 stuff, and looks better, too.

EDIT: I'm assuming Time to Sleigh the Dragon is repeatable. I'm doing it now on my level 20 defiler. I'd love some company.

EDIT 2: Dammit. That's not soloable. The boss is just too much. Two tries, now. Can't get her below 80%.

s3rial one on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Draeven wrote: »
    I still have nightmares about the Freeport, AQ20 quests, there are some places you ahve to go that no person in their right mind goes to, i mean the deep sewers where there isn't anything at all ? really great place to put that quest mob.

Yeah, I did it on my bruiser a few days ago.

To start, you need a ^ heroic mob. Then you get sent into the sewers that're below the sewers that're below the other sewers in Freeport. And there, the sewers you're in are like a maze, with no map. And the mobs you need are separated by a bunch of mobs that will beat the living hell out of anyone who's actually on-level for that quest.

To tell the truth, I don't mind the dangerous environments nearly as much as I mind the "oh, here's a solo quest chain - let's add a heroic mob that the player needs to kill!" I kind of like the danger/difficulty.

The AQ20 quests are haggard relics from the original release. I played back then and man was it brutal. There was a quest line just to leave your starting cultural city area. There were quests you had to do to open areas like Feerrott, Zek, LS, EF, EL. The heritage quests were harder.

Long story short, those AQ quests are from a time where people actually grouped down in those sewers and were used to being forced to group in terrible places in the world. Leveling was a lot slower too.

Brian on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I boughts me an account. Where all da wimminz at?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited December 2009
    Saban wrote: »
    I boughts me an account. Where all da wimminz at?

Antonia Bayle is the server to be on.

Brian on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So how do you get the tokens for Frostfell? The armor from there's way nicer than the AQ20 stuff, and looks better, too.

EDIT: I'm assuming Time to Sleigh the Dragon is repeatable. I'm doing it now on my level 20 defiler. I'd love some company.

EDIT 2: Dammit. That's not soloable. The boss is just too much. Two tries, now. Can't get her below 80%.

Yeah, the final boss is not soloable. But there should be groups forming for it pretty regularly. I'll hop on in a few too.

"Sleigh the Dragon" isn't repeatable, but there is a repeatable quest you get each time you enter Icy Keep after you finish Sleigh, called "Covering Your Snow Tracks". There is also the "Mission Improbable" solo mission, which you should do first, and then there's the new "An Exalting Experience" quest that gives 10 tokens but is just one fight in the Icy Keep: The Return version of the instance.

But the real haul of tokens just comes from defeating named mobs in Icy Keep (Hard).

Edit: I'm on as Nerrin doing Sootfoot Talent Society quests in Lavastorm, feel free to interrupt me.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ahh, I remember doing the AQ quests back at release. I can't believe there is agility on the wizard set. WTF!?!

Anyway, finally dinged 32 this morning. As a present, one of my guildies gave me a full set of mastercrafted imbued gear for lvl 32. It's unbelievable. I'm going to farm the shit outta TS and EL and move into the next zone early if I can to start harvesting so I can AH enough crap to afford the lvl 50 stuff. I was told that you can usually get 20 levels out of the mastercrafted stuff. Though you start to feel it towards the end of the 20. :)

edit: oh, how much are respecs? I started putting AAs into the wrong areas. My scout default tree is pretty darn nice if I go down the stamina and agility lines :) Also, I have 1 free respec but I want to know how easy and often and how much it is to do it after I use that free one.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited December 2009
    Klatu wrote: »
    Ahh, I remember doing the AQ quests back at release. I can't believe there is agility on the wizard set. WTF!?!

Anyway, finally dinged 32 this morning. As a present, one of my guildies gave me a full set of mastercrafted imbued gear for lvl 32. It's unbelievable. I'm going to farm the shit outta TS and EL and move into the next zone early if I can to start harvesting so I can AH enough crap to afford the lvl 50 stuff. I was told that you can usually get 20 levels out of the mastercrafted stuff. Though you start to feel it towards the end of the 20. :)

edit: oh, how much are respecs? I started putting AAs into the wrong areas. My scout default tree is pretty darn nice if I go down the stamina and agility lines :) Also, I have 1 free respec but I want to know how easy and often and how much it is to do it after I use that free one.

I think it starts at 10g, then 1p, then 10p, and 30 days from the 10g respec, it resets back to 10g.

s3rial one on
    edited December 2009

Yeah, the final boss is not soloable. But there should be groups forming for it pretty regularly. I'll hop on in a few too.

"Sleigh the Dragon" isn't repeatable, but there is a repeatable quest you get each time you enter Icy Keep after you finish Sleigh, called "Covering Your Snow Tracks". There is also the "Mission Improbable" solo mission, which you should do first, and then there's the new "An Exalting Experience" quest that gives 10 tokens but is just one fight in the Icy Keep: The Return version of the instance.

But the real haul of tokens just comes from defeating named mobs in Icy Keep (Hard).

Edit: I'm on as Nerrin doing Sootfoot Talent Society quests in Lavastorm, feel free to interrupt me.

Thanks, Harsh. Found a group, and we cleared it twice. Got my full armor set and I've still got 36 tokens left. The weapon selection sucks pretty bad for a defiler, but some of the jewelry looked rather nice.

s3rial one on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Klatu wrote: »

I think it starts at 10g, then 1p, then 10p, and 30 days from the 10g respec, it resets back to 10g.

That's true, but also every character can get a "card" that gives 5 free respecs. There's an... Alternate Advancement Counselor, I think they're called now, in each city that gives them out.

Edit: They are now called "Advancement Counsel".

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited December 2009
    Thats nothing, which is great.

So that means I can ditch the useless points I have and make my soloing life a little easier. I just wish my ranger had more melee AoEs than the 1 AA one. Guess that's what Swashbucklers are for though :)

Klatu on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the final boss is not soloable.

Unless you are a stinking bastard godmode geared up experted out the ass Warden.

Like mine. ;)

I farmed all the tokens for my gear solo. :P Wardens are such fantastic soloers.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a quick question. I have some old charecters back from when I tried a trial awhile ago. Are they not able to get all these ingame items my account info says I should have?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Unless you are a stinking bastard godmode geared up experted out the ass Warden.

Like mine. ;)

I farmed all the tokens for my gear solo. :P Wardens are such fantastic soloers.

I could probably solo her with my lvl 59 warden, if I had better gear and my buffs upgraded. I suck at making money though, so I just muddle along as best I can. Which is pretty darn good, considering how strong the melee warden aa line is.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited December 2009
    Any decent breakdowns for classes? I might try Paladin again but i dont want to start a class thats worthless.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited December 2009
    Saban wrote: »
    Any decent breakdowns for classes? I might try Paladin again but i dont want to start a class thats worthless.

Play what you enjoy. All classes are useful.

Brian on
    edited December 2009

Like mine. ;)

I might have been able to do that if I had the gear. I kept up with the boss' damage, and focused on using DoTs for their efficiency, but I ran out of power.
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I have a quick question. I have some old charecters back from when I tried a trial awhile ago. Are they not able to get all these ingame items my account info says I should have?

This is just what I've gathered by reading the forums and speaking to people in-game for the last couple weeks. I'm no expert.

Warriors
    Berserker: Dual-wields, highest DPS of the main tanks, good overall threat generation, but not quite as sturdy as a guardian.
    Guardian: Standard tank type. Best in the game at shrugging off damage.
    Paladin: Good. Strong tank, huge spike aggro generation, can heal a bit, too.
    Shadow Knight: Evil. Good DPS, high threat generation, can self-heal a bit via lifetaps. Currently a bit overpowered; everyone's expecting a nerf soon.
    Monk: Good. Evasion tank, but not as solid as the main tanks. Still, capable of main tanking for single-group stuff. Very versatile, high damage.
    Bruiser: Evil. Evasion tank, same as Monk. Slightly higher burst damage, slightly less utility.

Mage
    Wizard: Extremely high single-target DPS. Glass cannon. Need to get good at controlling your aggro to do well on teams. Can open portals to travel around the world.
    Warlock: Highest AoE DPS in the game, but otherwise like Wizard. Same portals as the Wizard.
    Conjurer: Good. Extremely strong soloist. Gets elemental-based pets. Good damage output. Usually not taken for groups unless there's nobody else around.
    Necromancer: Evil. Basically a Conjurer with undead pets, instead.
    Illusionist: Good. Crowd-control/buffing. Mediocre damage. Summons a pet that also casts crowd control spells.
    Coercer: Evil. Illusionist, but instead of summoning pets, charms.

Scouts
    Dirge: Group buffer (focused on melee). Can stealth, backstab, rez, track. Very versatile. Medium-high damage output.
    Troubador: Dirge, but more oriented towards buffing casters.
    Ranger: Good. RDPS class. Very high damage, can track, some buffing.
    Assassin: Evil. Best single-target burst DPS in the game. Standard issue backstabbing rogue type.
    Swashbuckler: Good. Extremely high positional DPS; probably the best sustained DPS in the game.
    Brigand: Evil. Similar to Swashbuckler. Better at the face-stabbing than the side-stabbing.

Priests
    Fury: Offensive caster, focus on HoTs. Can open portals to travel around the world, shapeshift into a lion. High offense and a competent healer, but generally considered the worst healer of the healing classes.
    Warden: Similar to Fury. Focus on HoTs. Can also portal and shapeshift (into a wolf). Lower offense, but better healing.
    Templar: Good. Uses reactive heals (i.e. buffs that heal a target every time he takes damage), has the best direct heals in the game. Low damage, heavy armor. Considered the best healers.
    Inquisitor: Evil. Same as Templar, but tends to have better damage. Templar has better cast times, while Inquisitor has better spell recharge times.
    Mystic: Good. Chain armor, melee-based damage. Really, really low damage. Heals via wards (buffs that soak up a certain amount of damage directed at the player). Can get a wolf pet. The pet sucks. Think of it like a crappy DoT that can be killed.
    Defiler: Evil. Almost identical to Mystic, to be honest. Less differentiation between these two classes than any other. Damage is, at least at lower levels, even worse than the Mystic's.

s3rial one on
    edited December 2009
    I believe i will put on my wizard robe and hat and play a wizard.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Always makes me sad when I read about the Mystic/Defiler.

To those of you who played EQ1, you know that the Shaman was one of the most powerful classes in the game, least understood, but most powerful.

In EQ2, they just murdered the class. Its very unfortunate they took such a perfect class in EQ1, and took all its power away.

Anon the Felon on
    edited December 2009
    Decided on Guardian in the end. Niryk on AB. Probably wont be playing too much since i'm still playing alot of WoW but i'll be around.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    s3rial, you forgot that Wardens, and maybe Furies, can shapeshift into Winter Wolves, Tigers, and Treants as well as the big regular Wolf.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited December 2009
    I like my defiler so far, but I'm not crazy about it. The pet really is crap. The healing is a bit lacking, too, but I'm also only level 20. It looks like I at least get a third attack spell at 23. Would be nice to have decent debuffs, though. 12 points of str/dex/agi isn't exactly substantial. Or even noticeable.

s3rial one on
  • buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm new to PA forums, and it was actually this thread that had me resubbing to EQ2 after a year away.

I can offer some additional perspective on classes to s3rial one's nice write-up:

Fighters
    Shadowknights - right now can tie or beat Berserker dps if properly geared. s3rial is right that they are ripe for some nerfage. Even so, they should remain solid tanks. They also are great for people who like soloing, as they have some nifty tools (life taps, feign death, evacuation, harm touch, etc).

Monks/Bruisers - their raid buffs and area of effect aggro/taunt ability has suffered, so they are less likely to get picked up for Raids. They remain great at groups and are excellent soloers, especially due to their feign death ability on a very quick timer (10 seconds or less if you spend AAs), plus self heals. Bruiser gets more burst damage (longer timers) that means then can burn down one mob in a linked encounter, feign death, heal up, and then grab the remaining ones. Monk gets a drain-power invis and quicker timers (less burst damage) and a smaller heal (but affects others, unlike bruiser). Invis is easy with totems, I'd give edge for soloing to Bruisers, if that's important.

If you want to get picked for groups all the time, go Pally, SK or Guardian. If you want to raid, make sure you have a spot waiting for you. There are a lot of tanks, and only so many tank spots, many already taken. Be sure you can get a rotation for MT or OTing.

Scouts
    Brigands - I differ from s3rial's assessment. They actually have more positional attacks than the Swashbuckler, and when soloing will rely more on Cheap shot and stun procs to get them off. They do get Safe House as an AA, which is great for soloing, less so for groups (unless you are recovering from a wipe). They also tend to have higher ST damage, and slightly better debuffs (which may change in the next expansion if they give some magic debuffs to summoners). Brigs have some valued

Swashbucklers - better AoE than Brigs, more damage from auto-attack than Combat Arts, and a short-duration mezz. They do better face to face because they have more any position combat arts to use either, and are less reliant on positionals than Brigs. Less ST damage, slightly less debuffage. Either the Brig or Swash should find groups easily, they have good reputations for sustained damage and debuffage, both in groups and raids.

Troubadors/Dirges - damage is not so good for scouts, but better than most (but not all) priests. They can solo, but not as well as other scouts. They lack poisons and good AoE and have a ST focus. Their utility is unsurpassed, you'll never lack for groups or raid spots, and they are fairly easy to play. At higher levels you will rely on kiting a lot to solo things in Kunark, etc. Troubs get a mezz which helps when soloing.

Assassins - kings of ST damage. Not much else they do, but they do it well. Usually easy to get a Raid spot. Soloing can be either painful (due to long reuse timers and ST focus), or decent (depending on gear, skill, and what mobs you choose). Kind of single-minded class, but it does its job well.

Rangers - the ranged version of the assassin. You spend more coin on arrows/ammo, however. But you can solo much better, especially in outdoor/overland zones where you have room to drop things from a distance or weaken them up a lot before they melee. In dungeons, not so much. Tend to be as well liked in groups/raids as Assassins, but because everyone and their brother has a ranger, you have more competition.

Mages
    Illusionist/Coercer - possibly the most close of all the paired classes. As s3rial said, Illy gets a mini-me pet, and Coercer has the riskier (but potentialyl more fun/awesome) charm mob. Both used to be considered low damage, but with AAs, proc abilities and the like, they can actually parse very high and challenge wizard dps in the right hands. They are invited to raids for buffs/dps, not crowd control. Crowd control is used for solo or group play, not raids, usually. Exellent soloers, groupers and always wanted in raids.

Necro/Conjurer - Necro has more DoTs and ST damage, and an awesome feign death. Conjy has slightly tougher pets, more nukes, more AoE, and better group buffs. Conjy nukes things down quicker, but has harder time recovering when things go bad. Necro takes a bit more time to burn things down, but is safer. At level 80, Conjy gets an amazing ability which summons all his pets at once. Both will (currently) struggle to get those groups or raid spots, however, since they offer a raid very little that another class can bring. My main is a Necro.

Wizzy/Warlock - not much here to add that s3rial didn't say. Wizard focuses on elemetnal damage, Warlock on disease/poison.

If you solo, go Summoner (necro/conj) or Enchanter (illy/coercer). If you raid, go Wizzy/Warlock or Ill/Coercer.

Priests
    Mystic / Defiler - both shamans without AAs suck at damage and leveling solo. Mystic with AAs becomes a melee self-buffing beast of destruction. Defiler with AAs becomes only slightly less painful to solo. Mystic is melee-focused, Defiler is spell/disease focused. The pet does suck, but with AAs becomes better. Mystic self-buffs his own stats (STR, STA, etc). Wards top the heal parses due to how damage is figured. Wards are great until they are not enough - shamans may find it hard (Mystics in particular) to recover group health if it dips too low. They also have some solid debuffs. Definitely wanted in groups and raids.

Inquisitor/Templar - as with the shamans, one is melee focused (Inquisitor) and one is spell-focused (Templar). Inquisitor focuses on debuffs and damage procs. Templar focuses on buffs and heal procs. With an AA melee spec, an inquisitor solos very well. Templar will solo moderately well (and safely) with AA points spent in their STR, INT and Smites lines. Otherwise they solo very slowly. Templar is widely regarded as best (possibly OPd) healer - in part due to the crazy amount of lottery heals proc buffs/deffs they have available before they even touch their true heals. Either will find a raid spot easily.

Warden/Fury - again, one is melee focused (Warden) and one spell-focused (Fury). Neither has buffs that are highly valued in raiding. Wardens get a extra heal options. They will solo slower than a Fury until they spec out for Melee AAs and Crits and get a good slow weapon. Then they catch up. Fury gets group invisibility, Warden gets an evacuation spell. Both solo well, group well. Wardens have an edge in raid healing, though some Furies claim to do as well or better. Ports make life easier, but most guilds have druid portals you can use every 15 minutes (when you port to guild hall), so that is not as much of a factor to consider. Least sought out healers currently in high end guilds, but better chance for a slot than a brawler or summoner, atm.

TL;DR version:
    Best solo: necromancer, conjuror, monk, bruiser, shadowknight, illusionist, coercer, ranger, swashbuckler, brigand, warden, fury, inquisitor, mystic

Best grouping: guardian, berzerker, shadowknight, paladin, wizard, warlock, illusionist, coercer, any priest, any scout

Best raid picks: illusionist, coercer, templar, mystic, defiler, dirge, troubador

Hope that helps. Just my experience with 4 or so years with the game.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
    edited December 2009
    I like my defiler so far, but I'm not crazy about it. The pet really is crap. The healing is a bit lacking, too, but I'm also only level 20. It looks like I at least get a third attack spell at 23. Would be nice to have decent debuffs, though. 12 points of str/dex/agi isn't exactly substantial. Or even noticeable.

Are you using Atrophy? Its a DPS/attack speed debuff, and is very solid throughout the defiler career. It is also one of the iconic debuffs shamans are wanted for. You'll also get Abbhorrent Seal at 47, which is another attribute debuff to stack.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend the INT line for your spell damage and Decaying line also, to Cannibalize at the end. It will up your kill speed a lot, and in the end, save you time and power. Just a thought.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
    edited December 2009

To those of you who played EQ1, you know that the Shaman was one of the most powerful classes in the game, least understood, but most powerful.

In EQ2, they just murdered the class. Its very unfortunate they took such a perfect class in EQ1, and took all its power away.

I had a troll shammy in EQlive.

The closest you can come in a Melee Mystic. Damage becomes very good, and with the self-buffs, wards, heals, and uninterriptible attacks, it is very very close to the one I had back in the day. Shammy debuffs are also still solid. AAs have helped the Mystic a lot. Only thing they can't do is shrink people :P

buddylee on
    edited December 2009
    buddylee wrote: »

Are you using Atrophy? Its a DPS/attack speed debuff, and is very solid throughout the defiler career. It is also one of the iconic debuffs shamans are wanted for. You'll also get Abbhorrent Seal at 47, which is another attribute debuff to stack.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend the INT line for your spell damage and Decaying line also, to Cannibalize at the end. It will up your kill speed a lot, and in the end, save you time and power. Just a thought.

Sometimes I do. The stat debuff does almost nothing, but I do throw atrophy in harder fights.

I started down the strength line for AAs. Not a good idea. I was thinking of respeccing into int. Or maybe just betraying and switching classes altogether. I loved my EQ1 shaman, but like anon pointed out: this isn't an EQ1 shaman.

s3rial one on
    edited December 2009

Sometimes I do. The stat debuff does almost nothing, but I do throw atrophy in harder fights.

I started down the strength line for AAs. Not a good idea. I was thinking of respeccing into int. Or maybe just betraying and switching classes altogether. I loved my EQ1 shaman, but like anon pointed out: this isn't an EQ1 shaman.

Yeah, its the same thing with the Bard. Got split in half.

If you are soloing a lot, I think you have the right idea - betray to Mystic and level up that way (get the Mystic AA melee abilities first, then Tribal Rage from the AGI tree). If you group at least half the time, stick with Defiler if you love it, but Spec INT and Decay. Either spec will up your damage. STR is mostly used for Raiding for the %ward and end ability. Otherwise its fairly useless. YOu can get a free respec item (5 uses) from your city's library (in Freeport, the North Freeport Academy of Arcane Science, cave level, speak to the gnome. Respec out of STR as soon as you can and into INT, your instincts are 100% correct :)

Go 4-4-8 and max out spell criticals, then stop there.

Them go and put 21 points straight into Decay: 5-putrify, 5-fulginous, 5-absolute corrupton or maelstrom, and 5-soul cannibalize, then 1 into cannibalize. It will help a lot with that feeling of power. Though i don't think any Defiler will rock the parses, it will at least make combat speed tolerable.

If you really want to capture the old shammy feel, the closest you'll get, however, is a melee mystic. Mystic combat line to the end (also makes your dog better), then AGI line to the end. Max the melee crits. Get a nice 2-hander with 4.0 delay and as big a damage spread as possible, and enjoy banging heads.

buddylee on
    edited December 2009
    I'm very happy with my ranger at the moment. Life is good plinking away at things with my bow and then poisoning the shit out of it in the process. DoT poisons are so useless though, even when soloing it's better to use the instant damage stuff.

Not sure about tradeskills though. I have tried it in the past and eventually it just pisses me off. For now I have kept up my harvesting skills, but sold off all the stuff. I like to think that eventually I could do jewellery, potions/poisons or woodworking for arrows, but meh, doubt I will.

I should at least try it out til level 10 though, see if there have been any slight changes in the year and a bit since I last played. :)

edit: also, wtf is with rangers these days though. Is AGI not the skill I should be going for? Most of the high end equipment seems to have more STR on it than anything else.

Klatu on
    edited December 2009

I had a troll shammy in EQlive.

The closest you can come in a Melee Mystic. Damage becomes very good, and with the self-buffs, wards, heals, and uninterriptible attacks, it is very very close to the one I had back in the day. Shammy debuffs are also still solid. AAs have helped the Mystic a lot. Only thing they can't do is shrink people :P

Yeah, I have a 75 Mystic, and I know you're right(ish), I guess I must miss the days of buffing up, dotting half a damn zone, then kiting everything around with unlimited mana. The cannibalism and AA Health > Mana spells where crazy fun. Being able to wreck face with out any down time was just brilliant. I remember several occasions where I saved a raid as the last man standing through shear skill and bar management.

No other class in any game I've played has had the EQ1 shamans ability to save peoples asses, debuff everything, and melt face all at the same time. There's a reason SoE toned down the shaman classes, but still, it makes me sad :(

It should be noted that the EQ1 shaman was the least played class of all classes, because he took an extraordinary amount of skill to play, lots of people gave up in the first 10 levels. Once you got to 60+, you where unstoppable. And on wards...I love wards, as I said earlier in this thread, wards are amazing in raids, because you have so many other healers to back them up, the shielding element lets your templars wind up the huge heals needed as the ward eats the damage. Its also VERY many efficient healing. They just made shamans...less fancy. They are not understood well either, and spend lots of time not getting in groups until the later game.

Anon the Felon on
    edited December 2009
    The answer is probally gonna be really obvious but how do I talk in the PA channel?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    They just made shamans...less fancy. They are not understood well either, and spend lots of time not getting in groups until the later game.

Lol, I agree. At launch and for a few months afterward, I recall my buddy (who was a defiler) being asked to tank. Not too many people knew a defiler was a healer :P

buddylee on
    edited December 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    The answer is probally gonna be really obvious but how do I talk in the PA channel?

Once you join the custom chat channel, you simply type a slash command with a number which corresponds to the custom chat channel:

/# Hello folks, I'm on PA chat!

What the # is depends on how many custom chat channels you have open. You can do a /listchat (IIRC) command to see which ones are assigned to which numbers. If you only have PA chat, for example, it will be #1.

So:

/1 Hi folks, I'm on PA chat!

Hope that helps ;)

buddylee on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There were alot of skill classes in EQ1. Enchanters were tough to play with the tons of spells they had. Bards were tought to play at max efficiency because of all the damn keyboard tapping you had to do. I played Shaman as my main in EQ1 and I do miss him at times. I stopped shortly after PoP and I was one of those sad Shaman that could never afford and never saw a drop of Torpor. I never got to see the wonder that was Torpor which kind of saddens me to this day.

Im going to resub when my new computer gets here and I put it together on Friday. I think I will go Mystic just because of the nostalgia of EQ classes. Ill have a few questions then but for now thanks for the nostalgia.

Jubal77 on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah my EQ1 shaman had every thing. I was one of those players who busted their asses to prove I was good at playing my class, as such, my guild would help me get or give me all of my ancient spells, and help me get top gear as new progression was made available.

It was pretty cool, started when I saved the entire raid in Plane of Fear. The head raid leaders all pulled me aside on team speak and said, and I quote (still remember it to this day): "Dude, you're the most amazing shaman I've ever seen. You will have a front seat to max progression, and will be on every raid we do. Tell us your schedule, and we'll plan around your availability." It was probably the most ego boosting thing I've had happen in an MMO.

I've had similar experiences on my Paladin in EQ2, once our dual Guardian main/off tank set up went down, and I popped all my shit to grab aggro and hold it while we recovered. Since then I've been in the lead group on every raid I attend.

Anon the Felon on
    edited December 2009
    EQ1 was great. If you had a great bard and enchanter you could pull endlessly forever.

Also, fuck shamans. I spent so long waiting around in this lame zone for the dragon to pop up so I could get my pally book off it. I go afk for 10 mins to shit/coffee/rest eyes, come back and here's this shaman solo-kiting-loling this ex raid dragon around the zone.

While I'm at it, fuck beastmasters too. CONTROL YOUR DAMN PETS FUCKERS.

Klatu on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I never got the chance. My guild was just a minor lore-based guild. Great group of folks but I never did much raiding. I saw most of the original bosses go down minus PoA and Vox but I remember PoF and PoH. "Stay away from the damn walls!" I lived my life in eq as mostly social but that game was even great for that. All my college buddies were in the top raiding guild so I got to go sometimes and watched alot of cool shit.

I was more into drinking and women at that time in my life.

Edit: I forgot about PoM. That zone was so much fun.

Jubal77 on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah my EQ1 shaman had every thing. I was one of those players who busted their asses to prove I was good at playing my class, as such, my guild would help me get or give me all of my ancient spells, and help me get top gear as new progression was made available.

It was pretty cool, started when I saved the entire raid in Plane of Fear. The head raid leaders all pulled me aside on team speak and said, and I quote (still remember it to this day): "Dude, you're the most amazing shaman I've ever seen. You will have a front seat to max progression, and will be on every raid we do. Tell us your schedule, and we'll plan around your availability." It was probably the most ego boosting thing I've had happen in an MMO.

I've had similar experiences on my Paladin in EQ2, once our dual Guardian main/off tank set up went down, and I popped all my shit to grab aggro and hold it while we recovered. Since then I've been in the lead group on every raid I attend.

My epic moment from EQ1 was in Plane of Time, our tank for one of the bosses in the 3rd section the one an SK or Pally usually tanked due to being fear immune. Our SK tank went down due to bad luck and then our 2nd tank went down to healers all cybering each other or whatever they did in their healer chan. I ran in after just having picked up my anti fear AA 2 hrs earlier and mashed my heal me button. We made it through and I got massive kudos from officers and peers. Quite ego boosting. :)

edit: oh and being the 5th person on Prexus to get the 1.5 epic for Pally. Beating the 2 senior pallies in my guild by 3 weeks.

Klatu on
    edited December 2009
    I love those moments, they just don't seem to happen very often any more. Raiding in this new gen of MMO's is pretty simple, some times its tricky, but by and large there are no heroic moments any more.

Hell, in EQ2, I've hardly seen a near wipe that gets turned around at the last second. Had it happen once. We where doing one of the Deity fights, probably 50 people there. Against Solusek's minion, we get him down to 50% and he does this crazy spell (first time anyone had done him, there was zero intel on what he did). We lost 30 people instantly. As the last surviving tank class, I stepped forward and started raining down some holy vengeance.

Sucked all the aggro off the rest of the raid and just held fast. We had about 4 healers pounding me with heals as my health would drop from max to 2% each hit. Probably took 20 mins before we dropped him.

As we finished one of the guys that was alive said: "Dude, that was like clash of the titans. One paladin standing toe to toe with a god, that was pretty epic." Whats even more awesome is I had just gotten my last weapon epic upgrade, so I was slashing him with this holy sword the entire time.

Anon the Felon on
    edited December 2009
    Is there a workbench in the qeynos tutorial island? I'd ask ingame but the 1-9 channel is filled with people arguing about gays and no one seems to be on the PA channel.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]