As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anonymous Christmas Presents?

TaramoorTaramoor StorytellerRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, this year for Christmas I got a gaggle of well thought out gifts from friends and family. I think the greatest among them being an Arcade Stick personalized with my name and a graphic of T-Hawk beating the shit out of Dhalsim.

Then, yesterday, something strange happened.

Inside my mailbox was a priority delivery package from some game store in Kentucky I'd never heard of. Inside the package were a small card that simply said "Merry Christmas" and a mint-in-box copy of Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1.

How does one handle a situation like this? I mean, I can't just go around asking everyone I know if they're the one that got it for me, and there are no indicators on the shipping label, packaging, or card to indicate who it's from.

It's strange all around. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?

Taramoor on

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why can't you just go around asking everyone you know if they're the ones responsible?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why can't you just go around asking everyone you know if they're the ones responsible?

Because it feels like they would've mentioned it if they had. It disappeared from my Amazon wishlist and shipped almost a month ago.

Walking up to friends and family and saying "Did you get me this for Christmas" seems crass and a little rude since, judging by the card and the whole "shipping from Kentucky" aspect, they wanted it to remain anonymous or thought I'd just kind of know who did it.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is there any chance you were in the PA Secret Satan or some other Secret Santa group?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is there any chance you were in the PA Secret Satan or some other Secret Santa group?

If I was then I'm in trouble because I didn't send anything to anybody. Though you are correct that it is a PA-style gift.

It's also possible that I won one of the Amazon.com "win a random item on your wish list" contests that I entered, but I feel like I would've been notified via e-mail if that were the case.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Says here you were definitely a PA Secret Satan this year

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »

Do you have a PM saying "hey, here's your guy/girl and their address, send them something?" Cause on the main thread your name isn't listed

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Do you have a PM saying "hey, here's your guy/girl and their address, send them something?" Cause on the main thread your name isn't listed

link?

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The gifter will probably ask you if you received the item at some point unless he or she wishes to remain anonymous.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If he is posting this here then the gifter probably already knows.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

link?

I just checked the D&D secret satan thread, and Tarranon is listed, but not Taramoor

edit: I also checked G&T, SE++, AC, and CF and he's not on those either

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got a gift today. Somebody left it in the store I work at. I picked it up and the tag said "To Jeff" and on the from line it said, "Yeah, you. The clerk."

I kept it for like two hours and asked people if they left it here by mistake, etc. Nobody. So I opened it.

Brand new leather bound journal and a heap of recipe cards. I'm still not sure whether to be creeped out or thoroughly flattered.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why can't you let Christmas magic exist?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why can't you let Christmas magic exist?

Yeah I'd be all "Shit, this is siiiiiiiiiiiick. What a nice surprise" and just hope to God it isn't some kind of new CIA super-computer that imprinted itself on my brain.

Cristo on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Alright alright. I confess. It was me.
    It wasn't me. I'd have bought FFT for myself.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    One of my teachers in high school was pretty cool and known for enjoying the Final Fantasy series, so one day I put a copy of Xenogears in his office mail box. I hope he liked it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One of my teachers in high school was pretty cool and known for enjoying the Final Fantasy series, so one day I put a copy of Xenogears in his office mail box. I hope he liked it.

He already owned it. He sold your copy. That is what happened.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited December 2009

link?

I just checked the D&D secret satan thread, and Tarranon is listed, but not Taramoor

Ah you're right, never mind. Confused Tarranon.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »

He already owned it. He sold your copy. That is what happened.

D:

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

link?

But maybe the gifter did too?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Drez wrote: »

link?

shit, that's also possible

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Drez wrote: »

link?

You do know that a mailing address had to be supplied... right?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, a quick post on Facebook resulted in:

"Santa Claus did it, obviously" from my Father.

and

"Did you enroll in the Penny Arcade secret Santa thing?" from about six other people.

So I'm betting it was my Dad. Which is awesome. Because of all the things on my wishlist, that one's is YEARS old and totally random when he could've gotten me Borderlands or The Tick vs Season One.

Taramoor on