As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Possible ebay scam?

McClyMcCly Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Let me start off with this: I have 100% Feedback, and I have full-rep on the other website I will reference. I have never had a delivery problem with USPS EVER.

I sold a pair of shoes on eBay. I shipped them via USPS, but didn't get a DC (I know, I fucked that up.) The buyer has contacted me repeatedly that they haven't received them yet. I apologized, and said that maybe the holidays may have caused some delay. Then I notice that he is selling the EXACT pair of shoes on another website, within days of when he should have received the ones I sent.

I thought maybe it was a coincidence, but the creasing, lacing, and condition of the box ARE exactly the same. Now he has opened a case against me, and wants a full refund. He doesn't realize that I'm on the same forum as him, so that may play to my advantage.

Any advice? I don't want negative feedback, but I also don't want to give in to a scammer. Thanks for reading.

kbellchewiesig.jpg
McCly on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Contact eBay?
    Save evidence.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yeah get evidence now, and contact ebay. if your paypal account is locked to any of your funds, get them out now, paypal will fuck you over.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're probably going to be hosed. Ebay/Paypal are terrible to resolve issues through, and your lack of delivery confirmation is probably going to seal the deal with them.

Save whatever you can save. You might want to call the guy out on it and threaten to press fraud charges through his local authorities and USPS. Those won't actually go anywhere, but it might be enough to make him back off.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    RethiusRethius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think you may be fucked here. eBay isn't going to care if he is selling the shoes on a different website, they will have no way of verifying if the person selling those shoes is indeed him. Additionally, they have been fucked over by way too many sellers claiming stuff like this. (I'm not trying to say you aren't telling the truth, just that they won't be in a position to take your word for it. Please don't take offense.)

PayPal guarantees everything that is sold on eBay, so if you withdraw your money and your account goes in the negative, they'll shut you down. Without a tracking number, you're gonna be unable to prove that you shipped the item.

Unfortunately I think your choice may be between taking the negative FB/refunding the buyer or taking the hit in PayPal.

It's a shitty situation. If it was me I'd probably just take the hit. In the future -always- get a tracking number, that would make this a slam dunk in your favor.

Edit:

You might as well try to push a seller defrauded case on eBay. Write into rswebhelp@ebay.com and be very specific as to what is going on. Include every detail, but don't try to attach any files - their system won't allow them to view attachments.

Here's a link on eBay's help pages to help sellers in your position:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-fraud-defrauded-sellers.html

Best of luck.

Rethius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    He listed his phone number in the Case description. Would it be better to call him out "unofficially" and try to figure this out, or go ahead and escalate the case, giving ebay the website and pictures?

Thanks for all the help, guys.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would not let the guy know anything about what you know until you've exhausted your other options.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    RethiusRethius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You could contact him, but if he's smart enough to resell on a different site he probably won't buckle under pressure when he knows all he has to do is keep his mouth shut and you'll look like the bad guy.

At this point I'd try to fill them in on the situation and see if they have any option open to you.

Rethius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Contacted eBay. Told them everything I have against him. It just sucks that I already left him positive feedback when he paid.

I'm glad I at least found his sale page. I can rest easy that I didn't (completely) fuck up. I don't think he realized the person he bought them from could be from the same damn forum as him. I hope worse-comes-to-worse, we can work something out.

I'm going have his ass banned from that site, regardless.

This is a shitty lesson to learn, but at least it isn't dealing with more money.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg