As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SEQUELS] Or lack thereof... (spoilers within!)

El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So some friends and I saw Sherlock Holmes tonight. I liked it. It was well done, and it obviously left on a cliffhanger and will have a sequel which I'll happily go and watch when it's out in theaters.

However! There is a chance that the sequel could end up in production hell, and it may never see the light of day. This thread is all about that.

I argued on the subway ride home that I know there are some movies, made in the last decade, that received big box office numbers, left on a cliffhanger to sell a sequel, and for whatever reason died a slow and agonizing death.

Problem is, I can't come up with any such movies right off the top of my head. But they're out there! They must be!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
Steam: TheArcadeBear

El Fantastico on

• juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This doesn't fit most of your criteria, but Mac and Me ended with "We'll be back!", implying an inevitable sequel which never materialized due to the film being a complete flop.

Found a better example: Jurassic Park 4

juice for jesus on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wouldn't mind a sequel to The Matrix. That was a pretty good movie.

Tav on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This doesn't fit most of your criteria, but Mac and Me ended with "We'll be back!", implying an inevitable sequel which never materialized due to the film being a complete flop.

Found a better example: Jurassic Park 4

For awhile there was either the best or worst Jurassic Park 4 sequel script floating around, where they made a crack team of intelligent dinosaur commandos who had to be trained to save kidnapping victims and so on by a mercenary with a heart of gold. Just about the most batshit insane thing I've read in years and I would have paid good money to see that on screen.

werehippy on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aha! I remembered one! Cloverfield. This movie was fucking awesome, and it had so much hype building it up, the movie lived up to it, and now... nothing. JJ Abrams went on to reboot Star Trek to much success, furthering his camp as a great director, which should've been all he'd need to convince Hollywood to make a sequel to his epic monster movie...

But where you at Cloverfield 2?

El Fantastico on

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember reading JJ Abrams was interested in doing another. Something about maybe from another handheld camera or something. I know I'd see it.

Oh, The Golden Compass totally hasn't had any plans for a sequel put in place, and that came out two years ago. Shit, they cut out the original ending of the book from the movie to save it for what I presume would be the beginning of The Subtle Knife.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aha! I remembered one! Cloverfield. This movie was fucking awesome, and it had so much hype building it up, the movie lived up to it, and now... nothing. JJ Abrams went on to reboot Star Trek to much success, furthering his camp as a great director, which should've been all he'd need to convince Hollywood to make a sequel to his epic monster movie...

But where you at Cloverfield 2?

Up in the air still with talks between Paramount and the director/producer/writer ongoing. Apparently Paramount really wants it, director and writer kind of seems on board and have written up a few ideas, but Abrams isn't too in to it.

Edit: Handheld camera is almost definitely not part of it if it does happen.

Quid on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dragonball Evolution had a cliffhanger ending totally setting up a potential sequel but I have no idea if that'll happen.

Not sure if I want it to actually.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a little sad that the upcoming Voyage of the Dawn Treader has such a low budget, because I actually rather enjoyed Prince Caspian and was hoping for bigger adaptations of Dawn Treader/Silver Chair, which are far more exciting books than the too-familiar and extremely boring (IMO) The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe.

Janson on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Both Golden Compass and Dragonball tanked at the B.O.

Don't expect to see too much from them ever again.

Atomika on
  • hoganman22hoganman22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No one wants a sequel to Dragonball though. Live action adaptation of a popular anime series. When did this ever sound like a good idea?

hoganman22 on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's been no sequel, or prequel, or whatever, to Gladiator. No second Incredibles movie either.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited December 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    There's been no sequel, or prequel, or whatever, to Gladiator.

Was that a movie really begging for one, really?

Atomika on
    edited December 2009
    I don't think Gladiator was even remotely close to having a sequel as it was a really good standalone film and had a great ending. Incredibles would've been a great one, at least if it kept up with the first one.

hoganman22 on
    edited December 2009
    Was that a movie really begging for one, really?
    I think he just WANTS it to have a sequel so he can see another Epic movie. I mean my god, Gladiator was sheer brilliance.

hoganman22 on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This should be the most obvious response: Before Sherlock Holmes, Guy Ritchie did RocknRolla, which was made to be the first of a series. I think he still intends on making the next one, but who knows? If Holmes is a big hit (and it doesn't look like it'll be that big), he might end up doing that sequel instead.

The last Blade movie, which was pretty bad but I think still did well for moneys, tried to set up a sequel or spin-off series which never happened.

Hellboy 2 left things open for another movie, and it did well in the theatres even if the movie itself wasn't as good as the first one. I'd like to see another, but I've never heard more than rumours about it.

And of course Serenity, which made nice cash. Never got the sequel, probably never will, but there have been rumours galore.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited December 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Hellboy 2 left things open for another movie, and it did well in the theatres even if the movie itself wasn't as good as the first one. I'd like to see another, but I've never heard more than rumours about it.

Ron Perelman has said he really doesn't want to do another because of all the make up he had to endure.

Combine that with GDT being booked solid for the next decade or so, and I'd say the odds of this one are slim.

Atomika on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Del Toro DOES want to make Hellboy 3, though. I know that. But Hobbit, then Mountains of Madness...then maybe Hellboy 3. But by that point, you're looking at a decade after Hellboy 2, and that's probably way too long.

Hellboy 2 was a better movie in almost all respects than the first, though. So it's got that.

Serenity didn't make nice cash at all. If I remember right, it took until DVD before it recouped budget.

Flash Gordon is the first example that pops into my head: The film ended on a goddamn QUESTION MARK, but it also didn't make the Star Wars money DeLaurentiis was hoping for, so no sequel.

Masters of the Universe is the same story. Post-credits Skeletor stinger making you think there's gonna be a sequel and then....rewrite the script into something Van Damme can do for Cannon films on a budget of 5 mil.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought Pixar was doing an Incredibles sequel?

clsCorwin on
    edited December 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »

Their schedule is pretty well set for the next five years or so, and the only sequel on the docket is Cars 2.

:x

Atomika on
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »

Their schedule is pretty well set for the next five years or so, and the only sequel on the docket is Cars 2.

:x

I think it's only set up until 2012. Toy Story 3 this year, Cars 2 and The Bear and the Bow in 2011. and Newt in 2012.

Lynx on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Buckaroo Banzai.

O_o

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has Dawn of the Dead (the 2004 remake) had a sequel made? I just watched it on Hulu a little bit ago and it seemed to be hinting at a sequel at the end.

[Michael] on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the end of that one didn't really seem to lead into a sequel, I didn't think

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It wasn't really hinting at a sequel so much as it was hinting about things ending shittily for everyone. It was a Downer Ending.

reVerse on
  • [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The camera clips from the credits did make it seem like things could have ended badly for them, but it doesn't really show anything except them getting chased and the camera getting dropped. I guess I just thought it'd be interesting to see how they were going to survive on the island. I dunno that a sequel would work that well now that I think about all the characters that died in the last 5-10 minutes of the film.

[Michael] on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Master and Commander, now there's a movie that needs a sequel.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The last Blade movie, which was pretty bad but I think still did well for moneys, tried to set up a sequel or spin-off series which never happened.

There actually was. A really shitty Spike TV Blade miniseries or aborted series. I think it lasted about a month and had none of the original cast.

And I think JW said that direct to DVD Serenity sequels (as in just extra really long Firefly episodes) are a possibility at one time. Unsure now though.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Apparently the book series it was based on has 21 books too, so it's not like they'd need to come up with new material.

As far as movies that blatantly set up a sequel, where is History of the World, Part II?

BubbaT on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    Dragonball Evolution had a cliffhanger ending totally setting up a potential sequel but I have no idea if that'll happen.

Not sure if I want it to actually.
    hoganman22 wrote: »
    No one wants a sequel to Dragonball though.

That's just it though. Nobody wanted a dragonball movie in the first place. Nobody did. It happened anyway. Why?

Because there are actually hundreds of thousand of people who did want it. Millions of people who loved DB so much they wanted anything, anything at all, even if every single one of them absolutely despised the end product. They went and saw it anyway.

And you know that every single one of them would totally go see a sequel.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Buckaroo Banzai.

O_o

The original was a brilliant concept with mostly lousy execution (although some bits were golden - "this boy's an Eskimo") but damned if I wouldn't be there on the first night for Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime League.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

Apparently the book series it was based on has 21 books too, so it's not like they'd need to come up with new material.

As far as movies that blatantly set up a sequel, where is History of the World, Part II?

Yeah, it's more of a money issue than needing material. The first was expensive to make and didn't make the high returns needed for a franchise. Still, there are rumors.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited December 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

I'd pay $8 to see Hitler on Ice.

Speaking of Brooks, where's Space Balls 2: The Search for More Money?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • The NotThe Not Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Where's Airplane III?

Where's Super Mario bros. 2?

I HATE movies that end in cliffhangers/stingers and there is never any followup. Jesus, at least put a book sequel or even just a paragraph on a website somewhere.

The Not on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Where's Super Mario bros. 2?

it actually got made; it was a bollywood flick

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pixar/Disney movies usually set up for sequels, but those "sequels" either go direct-to-dvd or become a Saturday morning cartoon series. Toy Story is some kind of rare exception. God, I hope Cars 2 is going direct-to-dvd. What a terrible concept to make a sequel out of.

El Fantastico on

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Austin Powers left on a bit of a cliffhanger, I guess you could say. Definitely made you think possible sequels, and I do know that there have been talks of it.

A year ago I would've mentioned Boondock Saints, but that movie finally came out. Still haven't seen it, but I guess I'll just wait for DVD.

District 9 is a movie I hope gets a sequel, or prequel, or just another story in the "universe".

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    [Michael] wrote: »
    The camera clips from the credits did make it seem like things could have ended badly for them, but it doesn't really show anything except them getting chased and the camera getting dropped. I guess I just thought it'd be interesting to see how they were going to survive on the island. I dunno that a sequel would work that well now that I think about all the characters that died in the last 5-10 minutes of the film.

They got chased back to their boat by a horde of undead. They died on that boat.

reVerse on
    edited December 2009
    Not quite a movie, but I was expecting another comic involving Rex Ready:

221514666_55WM5-L-2.jpg

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    We got a fucking wallpaper, what more do you want?

I'm drawing a lot of blanks here on movies, and I don't want to drag games into this since we get a thread like that in G&T every few months.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Well, since along with the wallpaper came this from Gabe:
    Gabe wrote:
    Here is your Rex Ready wallpaper. I haven't been this excited about a new character since we came up with the CTS.

I was expecting at least one comic. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see Rex in another comic.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png