As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Children's Card Game On] Yu-Gi-Oh Online

DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
yu-gi-oh%20online%20duel%20evolution.JPG

What is it?

Action! Excitement! Adventure! You'll find none of that here. This is the Yu-Gi-Oh Online thread, for the new Yu-Gi-Oh Online 3 game, currently in open beta.

For the uninitiated, Yu-Gi-Oh is a children's card game in the vein of Magic: The Gathering, except it is simpler to play, unbalanced as hell, light on strategy, and has more flashing lights and special fx than a laser show at a New Years rave.

How I shot card?

Now that I've sold you on the game, allow me to inform you how to get in on this action;

You'll find both the download link for the game and the user registration right here. Duelling with players or the AI is free of course, and cards can be obtained periodically as Konami dishes out more 'boosterpass' points. You will start with 100 of these points as default to spend on one of the many booster packs available. The beta will remain open until at least March, so what are you waiting for? It's time to duel!

For the fully initiated, you can find the list of cards included in each booster pack here.

Steam Group!

For organization, I have taken the liberty of creating a steam group. Please join so that I might defeat you in a children's card game.

The Funnies.

Obligatory link to the best thing to happen to the abortion of a children's card game anime, Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series.

2zz3vp4.jpg
DeadOnArrival on

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I might try it.

Seems interesting.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What the hell man, seriously.

Astns on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't look at me like that.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is there any way I can transfer my cards into this or do I have to buy all new fake cards?

edit: And how can you say this game requires no strategy?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No. Like in Magic: Online, digital cards and physical cards are treated as seperate entities which are purchased seperately. Cards from Yugioh Online 2 will be transferred into Yugioh Online 3 when it goes live. There is no place to input card passwords ala the GBA/DS/PSP Yugioh games.

And I didn't say that.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even saying light on strategy is underselling the strategy in the game. At least I think so. :P

So, is there any other way to get new cards besides using real money? I am about to boot up the game.

edit: Made a user and everything (twice), changed passwords, and still doesn't let me log in. *deletes game*

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Downloading as I post this, I played the previous beta and the actual card game, it was a pretty good game. I loved Yu-Gi-Oh tho, so I could be little bias. Hopefully you can still trade cards in the new version, that was the best way to get card.

I stopped playing after the beta, since konami had that wonderful idea of charging money per duel (yes that's stupid). Now everyone's are quitting, they finally realize the real way to charge the game.

Little too late IMO, this could be big when YuGiOh was hot back in the day. My old friend agreed to play this with me, may be we will even buy some booster, hopefully the game haven't changed that much since we played in high school 8 years ago.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You have activated my post card!

I remember playing with with a good friend of mine a long time ago and it was actually pretty fun.
    The best thing really is when you "Do a Yugi". That was our slang for completely turning the game around with one awesome and clever move.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    You have activated my post card!

I remember playing with with a good friend of mine a long time ago and it was actually pretty fun.
    The best thing really is when you "Do a Yugi". That was our slang for completely turning the game around with one awesome and clever move.

Damnit Klyka you stole my joke!
    And by mine I mean everyones ever.

Heh I always loved catching this show when nothing else was on, just to watch everyone be amazed since they never knew what any of the cards do, and are always "Falling into my trap card!" regardless of the fact they play it practically 24/7.

I remember trying one of the gba ones once, not a bad game, but incredibly unbalanced, seemed to be a lot of wasted cards that did nothing except have low atk/def and MIGHT be used to summon a pretty weak combo summons. Most of the combo summon stuff didn't seem worthwhile, was easier to just play one of the uncommon high attack creatures, and then play whatever the enchantments were called on it.

May try it out though, I haven't played mtg since highschool and kind of miss it.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The great thing about this game was how the music was situational.

Like,if your enemy had you by the balls,the music was reflecting that and was very tense and intimidating.
    But then you got this one card and turned around the game and the music just went all epic and bombastic.

It's pretty cool actually.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember screwing around in the last beta, but at the time my connection sucked so I didn't get to play much.

This time around, my computer is too outdated to run this thing.

I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I remember screwing around in the last beta, but at the time my connection sucked so I didn't get to play much.

I can not fathom how any computer made after the year 2005 would not be able to run a CARD GAME.

Oh,ok I just saw that this has actual GRAPHICS.

Hm I may need to try this out.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

I can not fathom how any computer made after the year 2005 would not be able to run a CARD GAME.
    Well, for one thing, it wasn't made after 2005. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, played a lot of one of the GBA Yu-Gi-Ohs. Built the worlds most boring control/mill deck, I would sit still and not do anything while my opponent rapidly ran out of cards. Might give this a shot to see if new cards makes the core mechanics anyless horrible.

It's a great shame that DuelMasters never took off outside of Japan. sure the gameplay is (deliberately) Magic-Jr but the interesting card flow mechanics made for well balanced games where it was hard for one player to run away with it.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Required vocabulary training for any budding duellists in the thread:

You're Finished, You Fool! (Oh No!)

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg