As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Okay, online news. Let's have us a frank lil' talk.

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
First off, I don't care about the woes of the dead tree marketplace. I'm sure there's going to be some bad stuff associated with the upcoming upheaval in the state of worldwide news reporting, but most of the people who are going to suffer have been doing such a piss poor job of reporting basic facts that I'd be unwilling to support them even if they were the only game in town. So fuck them.

Also, the best news reporting took place in the era before networks considered the news a money maker. It was originally done at a pure loss as a community service and that's when you had shit go down like Murrow's denouncement of McCarthyism. Because it wasn't a money maker. Because things were newsworthy because they were newsworthy, not because you could draw more eyeballs by scaring people better than the other station and inserting fluff bits about topless carwashes or whatever else before and after commercial breaks to tease a few more bucks out of your advertisers.

So, let's talk about online journalism.

Right now I get most of my news from the Google variety. I like it for a few reasons:
Top stories are aggregated based on how many places are reporting them. I probably don't miss too much that's particularly noteworthy.
All stories immediately provide me with 3 or 4 different sources to read, or more if I click a link. This means I can get my news from places that aren't FOX, and I can compare a couple.
The way stories are categorized makes decent sense AND I can easily prevent myself from ever having to scroll past the sports section.

My problem with it? It only shows me what's popular. Most of what I find is just AP wire feeds. Not that those are typically bad (they often are above average), but I don't feel I get much of a hands on feel for what's going on. I don't feel like I'm street level. I'm not, so that's fair, but I'd like to feel moreso as if I were.

The other big sources I consult are slashdot.org and engadget.com. Both are fairly specialized, though engadget is of FAR higher quality it only provides information about products for the most part so it's not really "news" so much as it is a catalogue of future technological fetishism. Slashdot is shit. It just is. The editors don't edit submissions and the submissions and most of the attached dialogue is garbage and in a lot of cases, the linked stories are just as bad. The sad thing is, I can't think of a tech centric site that sucks less.

So now this is what I pose to you guys:
Are there any good news sites online?

Like, actually good. As in, facts are reported faithfully. Biases are reserved or at least minor and easily detected. A broad selection of reporting is done. I can read about the major stories but get an actual sense for what's going on without feeling like I'm being lied to.

Failing that, are there tech news mills that suck less than Slashdot?

Also, "alternative" news. Tin foil hats aside, are there any non-mainstream oriented news sites that tend to be better than the rest for journalistic responsibility? Such as not going with A GUY TOLD ME SO stories as if they were purest fact?

Seriously, the news is way more complicated than you realize until you type out a post about it.

Also, I do not care one bit about either celebrity or sports related news. At all. Music news is of almost no value to me either. Technology, politics, business, these are the things I crave information regarding.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They are biased, but they are straightforward about it, and report pretty fairly about both sides. Talking Points Memo is the best news site on the net I know of.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Aw, that's cute. I love the way you talk like there are "two" sides.

I'm Canadian and I'm interested in news beyond just American politics. I should have clarified that. I also should have probably made fewer references at American politics in my thread if I wasn't going to mention that. Sorry.

But yeah, I honestly want to vomit most of the time I read a news story that's about the political parties involved in a situation, rather than the situation itself. "X to Y: You're a dick" is not a headline I'm interested in clicking on. Unless someone actually called another politician a dick. That would be awesome.

Anyhow something less concerned with the American two party system is in order for my purposes.

Pheezer on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Would non-wholly internet based news sources count? Because I mostly keep abreast of the news of the day via The Atlantic, The Economist, The NewsHour, The Beeb, and local news from the Trib, Reader, and Crain's. Sometimes hitting up Mother Jones, Financial Times, and Frontline as well to get a recap on whatever they've been up to. Also, NPR if I'm driving somewhere and the jazz station's kinda meh. All of which having an offline component of some sort or another.

As far as independent news, there's ITN but they are sometime sourced by PBS and so I generally feel that if Jim Lehrer didn't tap 'em then meh.

moniker on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, that I'm less good about. Some of the British papers are good for world news.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited December 2009
    The Economist is actually pretty damn good, I forgot about them. Is their website decent? Do I need to register? Do they want my dollars?

Pheezer on
    edited December 2009
    Okay so they do a lot of reporting at the Economist that is free and is nicely written and you don't have to register, but for the goods that come in the print edition you gotta shell out some dollars. Which seems reasonable. They have made the bookmark bar.

Pheezer on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    The Economist is actually pretty damn good, I forgot about them. Is their website decent? Do I need to register? Do they want my dollars?

They just put up a paywall, but you can still access a lot of stuff for free so long as it's not more than a week old. I've always used the site rather than the actual magazine, with a few exceptions, and find it navigable enough.

moniker on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Economist is my default news source. They're pretty goddamn awesome.

My dad told me I need to read the Weekly Standard instead, because he is... well.

Salvation122 on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    www.bbc.com

The BBC may have its flaws, but they still run the best news website in the world.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, "alternative" news. Tin foil hats aside, are there any non-mainstream oriented news sites that tend to be better than the rest for journalistic responsibility? Such as not going with A GUY TOLD ME SO stories as if they were purest fact?

Disinformation can be entertaining and interesting. The biases are usually blatantly obvious, and some of the stories can just be plain weird at times.

Dalboz on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

My dad told me I need to read the Weekly Standard instead, because he is... well.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aside from the ones that people have already mentioned I read some Al Jazeera. Its always good to get the a completely different perspective, biased or not, that you rarely see in western media, also the only news organisation that operates out of Gaza.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Qliphoth wrote: »
    Aside from the ones that people have already mentioned I read some Al Jazeera. Its always good to get the a completely different perspective, biased or not, that you rarely see in western media, also the only news organisation that operates out of Gaza.

Usually my go-to news site after main stream stories.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I read the Grauniad's website but have no allusions that they are not as prejudiced as everyone else; it's just their prejudices fit in with mine.

It is one of the best print and online newspapers I have seen, though, and I much prefer it to BBC news, which I only go to for local news.

BobCesca on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Worth noting that a lot of the staff at Al-Jazeera were initially(and maybe still are?) English speaking westerners, so while the editorial policy may well be different it isn't exactly say Pravda.

Does anyone watch/read the French/German English news channels? I am thinking France 24 for the former and DWTV for the latter

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You might check out ProPublica, Pheezer. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's one of the more encouraging attempts to re-invent the journalism business model. They do a lot of online features, and there is a pretty good list of names behind it.

ed: propublica.org/about/

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I mean, the main problem is that no one has really figured out how to turn online advertising into a revenue stream that can support a serious new organization. You can make money advertising online (I think the NYT website is technically in the black), but not enough to support a traditional newsroom. Which is why advocacy or outright schlock sites are the big ones; that stuff can be produced quickly and easily.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Techmeme aggregates technology news pretty well. Hacker News is for Digg users who gave up on it and went to Reddit and then gave up on it. HN is a bit broader in topics than you might expect, but it does slant toward science and technology articles.

For politics and economics I read The Economist, Ezra Klein, The Daily Dish, and The Consumerist. For general news I read the BBC's website.

MKR on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Look at fivethirtyeight.com He had better polling methods and more in-depth coverage last election than pretty much any news organization. His estimates were better than everyone elses

Why? The news channels have a vested interest in a horserace for every election. His website did not

nexuscrawler on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    The Christian Science Monitor has good stuff. I don't actually follow it, but the articles I've been linked to have all been as good as bias-free (as far as I can remember, at least) and very informative.

And despite the name it's not a religious publication.

Echo on
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This guy is awesome. If you like his writing, please support him. He's an entirely independent journalist and photographer who writes about Iraq, Afghanistan and occasionally other areas of the world.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/

iamthepieman on
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I use fark.com - it's the online equivalent of The Daily Show imo.

Anything actually really newsworthy gets posted, and the comments in the thread allow you to delve deeper than the article does with (admittedly, few) informed posters.

Tejs on
  • General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.theinquirer.net/ Is where I go for technology news. Some is highbrow, most is low. Plus their biases are hilarious.

Way better than slashdot anyways.

BBC is pretty good too. But maybe being Canadian I don't see their bias.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I'm sorry.

Mine too.

Speaker on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The other big sources I consult are slashdot.org and engadget.com. Both are fairly specialized, though engadget is of FAR higher quality it only provides information about products for the most part so it's not really "news" so much as it is a catalogue of future technological fetishism. Slashdot is shit. It just is. The editors don't edit submissions and the submissions and most of the attached dialogue is garbage and in a lot of cases, the linked stories are just as bad. The sad thing is, I can't think of a tech centric site that sucks less.

Ars Technica?

The Microsoft and Apple sections can read a bit like press releases sometimes, but the gaming, science, tech industry and stuff are usually really good. They frequently have pretty deep articles written by people who know what they're talking about, and the discussions are usually good (though the apple and microsoft categories have flamewars to an extent, and any science article even tangentially related to global warming attracts droves of trolls. We have better GW discussions here generally largely because there's fewer people involved.)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png