As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SEQUELS] Or lack thereof... (spoilers within!)

2»

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only movie that I think of immediately that needs a sequel is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Not a direct sequel but more of a Indiana Jones kind of way where each story is seperate and its Sky Captain with his air legion going up against other retro-futuristic villains. Anything to get some classic style dogfighting and 1930s style future stuffs.

Never ever going to happen though.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Master and Commander, now there's a movie that needs a sequel.

That's the first movie that came to mind when I saw this thread. It was a fantastic movie that didn't earn the box office it needed to recoup its cost. I'd love to see a sequel though as long as it kept all of the same players.

RocketSauce on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    The main reason Master & Commander cost as much as it did was because of the replica ship and the general expense of filming at sea. There are a bunch of the O'Brian books that take place primarily on land and could be done totally on the cheap, like a Merchant-Ivory movie. I mean, I doubt it will happen, but a man can dream.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a sequel to The Matrix. That was a pretty good movie.

Yeah, and when is Lucas going to make episodes 1, 2, and 3?

chamberlain on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

:^:

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

:^:

Looking back on the Matrix, the movie seems so dated now. You know those black latex trench coats that were cool in 1999? They arn't cool now. Some movies hold the test of time, I don't think the Matrix was one of them.

Story and the acting by Laurence Fishburn and Elrond were pretty good.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    There's been no sequel, or prequel, or whatever, to Gladiator. No second Incredibles movie either.
    The lack of an Incredibles 2 is disappointing.
    BubbaT wrote: »
    As far as movies that blatantly set up a sequel, where is History of the World, Part II?
    I KNOW!!! I mean, I realize it was a joke, but if you put in coming attractions, it's a fucking promise, and he needs to get busy before he dies. He's so old now. Does Mel read this board? Mel, if you're listening, Viking funeral is still a good idea. Hitler on Ice may be a little passe though.

I'm also still waiting for Conan the Conqueor. And, no, Kull was not the same.

GungHo on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    King Conan has been in various stages of pre-production for awhile now. I believe the Wachowskis had the last crack at it.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just thought of one. Though honestly, I'd much rather see a sequel in the form of a tv series than another movie.
    Down Perascope. Great characters and a setup for something continuous with the asshole admerial vs the crew of the Stingray (or whatever they decide to call their Seawolf sub)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    There's been no sequel, or prequel, or whatever, to Gladiator.

Was that a movie really begging for one, really?

Massively late here, but no. However, the OP was asking for movies with huge box office with no sequel.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, but there's the second part of the equation.
    Ended on a cliffhanger.

Gladiator was pretty final in it's ending.

Though Spartacus: Blood and Sand looks promising as a series.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only movie that I think of immediately that needs a sequel is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Not a direct sequel but more of a Indiana Jones kind of way where each story is seperate and its Sky Captain with his air legion going up against other retro-futuristic villains. Anything to get some classic style dogfighting and 1930s style future stuffs.

yes, yes, yes a THOUSAND times YES

Arch on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »

yes, yes, yes a THOUSAND times YES

Just think of all the Golden-Age celebrities they could corpsefuck!

Marlon Brando!

Clark Gable!

John Gielgud!

Atomika on
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pixar/Disney movies usually set up for sequels, but those "sequels" either go direct-to-dvd or become a Saturday morning cartoon series. Toy Story is some kind of rare exception. God, I hope Cars 2 is going direct-to-dvd. What a terrible concept to make a sequel out of.

Pixar was going to release Toy Story 2 as direct-to-video but didn't want that to speak for their work so, at that point, they decided not to do dtv productions. Cars 2, in that light, won't be. How is that a terrible concept? Cars wasn't the best Pixar movie but it wasn't the worst (Up). And it's a great concept to expand on because there's a whole world of racing out there that they can take us to.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, but there's the second part of the equation.
    Ended on a cliffhanger.

Gladiator was pretty final in it's ending.

Though Spartacus: Blood and Sand looks promising as a series.

Hollywood was working on a sequel to Gladiator for years (Thankfully it never really got past the script stage).

Tomanta on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A sequel to Gladiator would be awesome. Of course with Maximus dead, they could explore another story in the rich setting they created for the first movie. They could really dig in and explore some of the mythos of this "Roman Empire".
    Im kidding.

Deebaser on
  • Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    what happened to "the real RocknRolla"?

Enosh20 on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sherlock Holmes.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Last Full Measure, the third book in Michael and Jeff Shaara's Civil War trilogy, will likely never be made into a movie after Gods and Generals failed at the box office. (Fun fact: Ted Turner personally fronted all $60 million of the production cost of Gods and Generals, of which he lost probably somewhere around $50 million.)

This is a tragedy, since there are very few--if any--really good movies about the last two years of the Civil War. Gone with the Wind's treatment of Sherman's march is all that readily comes to mind.

Hedgethorn on