As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Time to track down Baker's Plastic Man.

A wise decision. There's two TPBs, but the last few issues of the series were never collected, so you'll have to go diving through back issue bins for those.

The funniest thing about Plastic Man? It got the axe because Didio told Baker it wasn't light hearted enough. Which is bullshit, Baker was basically doing an Ambush Bug of the DCU during that time.

There was one scene in a later issue where Baker is poking fun at how the female "role models" (Huntress, Mary Marvel, and Supergirl) all had outfits that made them look trampy that I think flew right over DCU editorial's heads. I need to find that page.

TexiKen on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mary Marvel dresses trampy? Skirt and sleeveless blouse seem okay to me.

emnmnme on
    edited December 2009
    It's how much shorter artists try to make it, like Supergirl and her skirt.

Here's the scene:

plasticman.jpg

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I understand what he's getting at there, but man. That Huntress outfit is like super exaggerated on its slutiness.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2009
    When Benes was the artist who was drawing Huntress at the time:

huntress_costume.jpg

I think he makes a decent point.

Jim Lee thinking a crimefighter in Gotham should wear less never made sense.

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The funniest thing about Plastic Man? It got the axe because Didio told Baker it wasn't light hearted enough. Which is bullshit, Baker was basically doing an Ambush Bug of the DCU during that time.

There was one scene in a later issue where Baker is poking fun at how the female "role models" (Huntress, Mary Marvel, and Supergirl) all had outfits that made them look trampy that I think flew right over DCU editorial's heads. I need to find that page.

To my recollection, Baker really didn't start lobbing bombs at DC until near the end of the series. He'd poke fun at things like Batman remaining eternally youthful while Robin got older, but a lot more of it was plot-based humor.

If I had any idea where my Plastic Man issues were, I'd scan the page showing Billy Batson's funeral procession, with the narrator talking about what Dr. Light did to him. It really kind of breaks my little fanboy heart to see Baker doing his CGI-traced art now, because he's such a superb artist.

Munch on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This thread is already awesome.

Once I get unjailed (hopefully its still open then) I'll put some stuff up. Until then, keep up the awesome.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited December 2009
    Bruce Wayne is what? 38?

emnmnme on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Bruce Wayne is what? 38?

I remember Grant Morrison indicating as much if not slightly younger, but of course there's no concrete answer to that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From Baker's PLASTIC MAN #3:

312fslj.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Kyle more Plastic Man scans please high 5.

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    PLASTIC MAN #9:

bgyyz9.jpg

2dl7znc.jpg

2sb8mqp.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Yes, I was looking for that Batman "you think I would help a deadbeat Dad?" page.

I would give you a Todd high five but I'm not allowed to anymore.

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    Who likes:

Deadpool

Rhino

and Dazzler?

Then Gail Simone's Deadpool run is just for you! It is the best 5 issues of Deadpool ever, before she did Agent X. I can't believe they haven't released it in a TPB yet, especially with Marvel being Deadpool crazy the past months. Anyways, funny!:

DP tries to get the Rhino's horn for a client but he's still woozy from nearly being killed so he goes to the local Bad-guy Gym where they have a trophy case for stuff they knicked from heroes:

dp66a.jpg

dp66b.jpg

dp66c.jpg

And then the next issue they go to be Dazzler's bodyguard:

dp67a.jpg

dp67b.jpg

dp67c.jpg

dp67d.jpg

And then the new friendship is in jeopardy:

dp67e.jpg

dp67f.jpg

dp67g.jpg

dp67h.jpg

dp67i.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    Munch wrote: »

To my recollection, Baker really didn't start lobbing bombs at DC until near the end of the series. He'd poke fun at things like Batman remaining eternally youthful while Robin got older, but a lot more of it was plot-based humor.

If I had any idea where my Plastic Man issues were, I'd scan the page showing Billy Batson's funeral procession, with the narrator talking about what Dr. Light did to him. It really kind of breaks my little fanboy heart to see Baker doing his CGI-traced art now, because he's such a superb artist.

PLASTIC MAN #20:

bjijdg.jpg

30utymh.jpg

2e6gdfp.jpg

6eqhk8.jpg

166j6l5.jpg

29o49ie.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Remember how awesome Nightwing written by Chuck Dixon was and not Devin Grayson who ruined everything?:

n16a.jpg

n38a.jpg

n38b.jpg

n38c.jpg

See, Nightwing is such a ladies man when scores he gets to Zone 12

Also, this panel sums up the entire Batman/Joker dynamic (the Killing Joke HC has recolored pages that really stand out):

bkja.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    These last two pages of The Initiative were pretty much the opposite of what I expected, and probably my favorite part of Secret Invasion.

Screenshot2009-12-31at65844PM.png

Screenshot2009-12-31at65853PM.png

Mr Pink on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn it. I forgot about that.

Now I'm sad.

Thanks.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited January 2010
    Did anything happen to Tirathlon/3D Man after that? Was everyone just cool with it?

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There was a Skrull Kill Krew mini, wasn't there? I believe he was in it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    he could still be alive, based on the ring's actions there.

mattharvest on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Someone needs to use that ring to bring back both Freedom Ring (a name and design I unabashedly love) as well as Crusader. Turn them into a buddy pair that can't separate by more than twenty feet without one of them dropping dead.

Think of the fun hijinks!

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit guys. Look at this.
    PUNISHER #12 - "Frankencastle, Part 2":

Frank makes a friend!

25k4npl.jpg

However.....

IMAGE SPOILERS
    w03qe0.jpg

30rmrk8.jpg

is Frank Castle being held prisoner in outer space by alien samurai warriors?

No, he's living in Monsterville (under NYC), all of which is being hunted by (Speculative Spoiler)
    the disembodied head of Ulysses Bloodstone in a giant suit of robot armor
    and his Samurai kill squad.

You should be buying this book! Innovative story from Remeder, fantastic art by Tony Moore.

holy shit when does this get to trades
    i need it now

Frank shares a Twix with that moloid kid, and the damn Samurai Robot things from Nextwave (which were probably a real thing before Nextwave) need it now.

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2010

There was one funny blurb when some Skrulls were trying to explain their religion to the Kill Krew at the end of the Initiative. The conversation ended with the polite explanation that God loves America ... and two bullets for the Skrulls!

emnmnme on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did anything happen to Tirathlon/3D Man after that? Was everyone just cool with it?

He was in the Initiative: Disassembled trade, and they mentioned that all of Crusader's friends in the Initiative were pissed at 3D Man, and for that reason, "X" was leaving the Initiative. Now whether that was 3D Man or Crusader's friends I can't actually recall right now.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ringo wrote: »

He was in the Initiative: Disassembled trade, and they mentioned that all of Crusader's friends in the Initiative were pissed at 3D Man, and for that reason, "X" was leaving the Initiative. Now whether that was 3D Man or Crusader's friends I can't actually recall right now.

I don't blame 3D man at all. I mean, he'd just traveled across the country killing Skrull impostors in every team, he was just doing his job.

emnmnme wrote: »

There was one funny blurb when some Skrulls were trying to explain their religion to the Kill Krew at the end of the Initiative. The conversation ended with the polite explanation that God loves America ... and two bullets for the Skrulls!

It was actually the page right before the ones I posted.

Screenshot2010-01-02at22329AM.png

Mr Pink on
    edited January 2010
    Colossus had a good death back in the day curing the Legacy Virus, and no one knew it was coming:
    uxm390a.jpg

uxm390b.jpg

uxm390c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Reposted from the Wonder Woman thread.

One of my favourite moments from Gail Simone's run on the title:

2agjdlg.jpg
    2gvufd4.jpg
    t8rmh2.jpg

I'll throw in Ben Caldwell's awesome Dr. Poison as well (from Wednesday Comics):

29z56qw.jpg

LordSolarMacharius on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That Wonder Woman scene is pretty cool... is it worth tracking down that arc?

Hensler on
    edited January 2010
    That arc, yes.

Later Simone arcs, eh, they've got good Lopresti art but it reads a bit too much like we've seen it all before.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've read the later arcs, but wasn't impressed, so I never went back to the earlier Simone stories.

Hensler on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Circle and Ends of the Earth are pretty good.

Rise of the Olympian and Warkiller, not so much.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    WE3 has some of the most amazing panels ever. Tinker moves so fast she moves between panels. That was awesome.

There is a manga by Nihei, who is most famous for a bizarre Wolverine story and the manga Blame!, called Biomega. I read it years ago, through fan-translations. It is now coming out in the US some time soon, so I won't post any of the fan-trans'd scans. It had some really awesome pages/panels showing how fast the protagonist moved.

BLAME and Biomega have some of the most amazing visuals of any manga I've read. I love the styling, and it's nice to have a different story pace.

A duck! on
    edited January 2010
    While Morrison's JLA run has plenty of great moments, this is my favorite:

jlae2d-Copy.jpg

I just love that idea of "I'll think it, so it will happen"

That's probably my favorite J'onn moment, too.

TexiKen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I found some images of Nihei's work on something called tumblr.
    I think they are too big for imageshack or something. Not sure. Can't get it to work.

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    2mpzord.jpg

apparently from a futurama calendar

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2010
    For comparison:

uvg1t.jpg

LordSolarMacharius on
    edited January 2010
    Man. New Frontier is so good. Every time I see Darwyn Cooke's art I just have to smile. Its probably my favorite comic ever.

Lucascraft on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    one day I will get Darwyn Cooke to sign my Absolute Edition

and J. Bone, too. I've only got Dave Stewart right now

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2010
    Does the Absolute Edition include the one-shot issue that came out a couple years later and has a few short stories in it? It had the battle between Superman and Batman, and a couple other side stories as well that were hinted or alluded to in the main book.

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.