As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] - Arenas and Wall: the next Bonnie and Clyde

• ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, frankly Ron's gotten fairly overrated as a defender. He's not the best wing defender int eh league anymore. He's not even in the top 3.

Profs on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Artest can't even play defense against his own house, apparently.

JustinSane07 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Artest was never that great in terms of navigating screens off the ball. He weighs a lot, and it's a lot harder for him to quickly change directions the way a Bruce Bowen could. You would almost never see Artest matched up against a PG, the way you would a Marion or Prince, because lateral quickness wasn't his specialty.

However, Lebron's probably the only SF in the league who can manhandle Artest in the post. I don't think even Melo could, and Melo used to regularly destroy Bowen in the post.

Every defender in the league has their specialties. There's never been a next Rodman - a guy quick enough to hound Jordan and Pippen as a Piston, yet strong enough that he was often assigned Shaq as a Spur.

BubbaT on
  • BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Nets are 2 and 28. Seriously.

Pathetic.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are we over the Devin Harris hype train yet? Please?

deadonthestreet on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are we over the Devin Harris hype train yet? Please?

When Cuban traded him for an aging Kidd, I was for sure that he placed the foundation for his grave when the Mavs would revert back to their decade of suck in the 90s. Boy was I wrong.

Ticaldfjam on
    edited December 2009
    Dallas won't suck as long as Dirk. How a guy can win an MVP and still be underrated is beyond me, but it somehow still happened. His name almost never comes up amongst the talking heads in terms of the NBA elite. Everytime I hear someone on ESPN blathering about how Pau Gasol is the best PF in the league I want to plotz.

BubbaT on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Dallas won't suck as long as Dirk. How a guy can win an MVP and still be underrated is beyond me, but it somehow still happened. His name almost never comes up amongst the talking heads in terms of the NBA elite. Everytime I hear someone on ESPN blathering about how Pau Gasol is the best PF in the league I want to plotz.

Seriously. Gasol is basically doing what Toni Kukoc did when he peaked. Have a good couple of seasons when you have the greatest player on your team on his shoulders and fall off the wayside.

Its gonna happen to Gasol, watch.

Ticaldfjam on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    People still won't even pronounce Dirk's name right : (

Frosteey on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dammit Rondo.
    Goddamn, I've always loved watching Baron Davis. It just hurts to see him hit a shot against my Cs, after Rondo could have hit those shots.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited December 2009
    Dammit Rondo.
    Goddamn, I've always loved watching Baron Davis. It just hurts to see him hit a shot against my Cs, after Rondo could have hit those shots.

IIRC the Clippers beat Boston in LA last year too. Maybe it's just one of those things like Lakers-Bobcats, where one team flies across the country to meet up with a team treating that game like Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

BubbaT on
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

I can't stand this, either. Dirk has one of the best 18-foot shots in the league, clutch down the stretch, makes his free throws, rebounds, and can make 3s if needed. It doesn't get much better than that. And if you take a look at his playoff stats, he's constantly upping his game.

fortis on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, he's a bit like Duncan I feel. Very unflashy style of play (lets be honest, watching dirk drive to the hoop or hoist up one of those weird jumpers isn't pretty), very efficient, and ALWAYS ups his game when his team needs it. The difference is that Duncan has the rings and so is regarded as maybe the greatest power forward of all time. Nowitzki would be #3-#4 if he just could get a ring. As it is, it's a disgrace that he's consistently left off the list of top 5 players in the game.

Profs on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So apparently the Rockets are officially looking to trade Tracy McGrady now. Not really a surprise, I guess.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    KG and Perkins both covering an inbounds. That was great.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009
    Man the Warriors play by play announcer is stupid. Monta Ellis is shooting a FT up 3 with 2.3 seconds left.

Warriors play by play announcer: "Should he miss it on purpose? Boston has no timeouts!"

Other announcer: "WTF? Hell no, dumbass. He should make it so they'll be up 4 and it won't matter what Boston does."

BubbaT on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    at least the other announcer called him on it

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited December 2009
    In other news, I didn't realize to what extent the all star balloting was so completely and utterly fucked. One of your two starting guards in each conference, as of now (and by a large margin): Tracy I've-played-less -than-one-full-game-all-year McGrady, and Allen I-didn't-play-for-the-first-30-games-of-the-season Iverson. Jesus Christ. And people like Chris Kaman aren't even on the fucking ballot.

Profs on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    can we remember the good times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CGxj3dHGA

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Now let's remember Steve Nash's best of the year (funny): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhUvJElZ_QY

Profs on
    edited December 2009
    Claims the Rockets turned down Arenas for TMac.

That is pretty much a no brainer there.

16.1 17.7, 19.2, 20.8, and 22.3 millllllllion dollars. pffft. good luck Wiz.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bergy wrote: »
    Claims the Rockets turned down Arenas for TMac.

That is pretty much a no brainer there.

16.1 17.7, 19.2, 20.8, and 22.3 millllllllion dollars. pffft. good luck Wiz.

Where did you hear this?

Supposedly most of the trade offers the Rockets are getting are asking for Budinger and/or Landry in addition to McGrady and the Rockets understandably don't want to do that.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited December 2009
    ESPN.com reported Saturday that the Washington Wizards had reached out to the Rockets in an exploratory manner about a possible Gilbert Arenas-for-McGrady swap, but Houston has no interest in such a deal. Arenas ranks as one of the league's most difficult players to move with four seasons left after this one on a mammoth $111 million contract and a history of knee problems to rival McGrady's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4777423 via realgm.com.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Way too early for WAS to be trying to move Arenas. He has to prove himself for at least a year first.

Last team to jump in on a guy coming off a severe injury after only 20 games back was the Sixers with Elton Brand, and they got screwed.

Besides, HOU already has a PG.

BubbaT on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Brand, when Idiot McStupid actually plays him, is putting up like 19/9.

deadonthestreet on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I feel like sports interviews in general, but basketball in particular, would be so much better if people couldn't use the conditionals "we just need keep...." or "at the end of the day..."

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009
    Brand, when Idiot McStupid actually plays him, is putting up like 19/9.

Brand was injured almost all last year, and his inability to play with Andre Miller (again) led to Philly losing Miller for nothing. In 18 starts this year, at 31 minutes/start, Brand is putting up a whopping 12/7 on 44% shooting. He's due $52 million in the next 3 years.

Also - ESPN's list of best NBA plays of the decade is awful at best.

BubbaT on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    warriors put up a valiant effort, didn't get the win, but oh man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxeJ6LbiKc

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, that was pretty sick. So was Magette's around the back move where he totally faked out Kobe.

Profs on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    man, my fantasy team has caught the injury bug all of a sudden

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • spidahspidah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    that game was heartbreaking for me, esp. since I'm going to UCLA and no offense but the average Lakers fan I hang out with is an asshole.

I dont know but maybe I need new people to watch bball with.

What's cool for Warriors fans besides having two big men back is watching Randolf and CJ Watson growing to become good players, defeating 3 teams in a row before that damn Lakers game, and in those 3 games Monte Ellis had like over 30 points each game.

spidah on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just saw the highlights of the Spurs game and I had to come post about how awesome Manu Ginobili is.

They also had a top ten plays of the decade that was pretty much just 'game-winning plays by all-star guards in the playoffs'. And number one was a pretty generic game-winning shot by Kobe. The Duncan 3-pointer against Phoenix and Derek Fisher's .4 second shot both didn't make the list. Those are the ones off the top of my head that it seems like nonsense not to make the list.

I also personally would have put that one time the Cavs gave the game-winning shot attempt to Varejao in the finals against the Spurs because that was the funniest thing.

Frosteey on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i like how often we see lebron's game-winner against the magic because it was one of the most irrelevant game-winners ever

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »
    i like how often we see lebron's game-winner against the magic because it was one of the most irrelevant game-winners ever

At least the Lebron shot wasn't #1.

The Kobe game-winner against Phoenix was not only irrelevant (PHX won the series) but unimpressive as well, as far as game-winners go. Kobe had 2 plays in 1 game vs Portland that were both more impressive than his leisurely drive and 18 foot pull-up jumper vs PHX that somehow got #1.

Noticeably absent from the list was Dwyane Wade, who not only regularly makes circus shots, but had that awesome "steal to 40-foot game winner" sequence against Chicago last year.

It's almost like ESPN are dumbasses who don't know what they're doing. But that couldn't be. I mean, Worldwide Leader™ and all that.

BubbaT on
    edited December 2009
    in the land of the blind, the loudest guy is the worldwide leader

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jesus christ, zach randolph is playing insane basketball.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Jesus christ, the Celtics are playing shitty basketball.

JustinSane07 on
    edited December 2009
    doesn't really matter. without really trying they will win their division.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Well, add Aldridge to the list of injured Portland bigs. At this rate Chris Dudley is going to have to drop out of the governor's race so he can start at C for the Blazers.

BubbaT on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
This discussion has been closed.