As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How MS sold me on IE8

DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
browse1-1.png

If anyone knows about the respective merits of browsers, it's country music star Dolly Parton right?

Deicist on

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    :lol: Thanks for sharing Tallus.

I think the most worrying part about that is it's not randomly on their regular IE8 page, instead it's on the "Partner Network" pages. Because if anything's going to help sell your important customers on Microsoft's browser it's 63 year-old country/folk singer with oversized boobs.

WTF Microsoft? o_O

iTunesIsEvil on
  • SalviusSalvius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    All my browser choices are music-based, but I'm conflicted. On one hand, a country music singer is recommending IE8, but on the other a country music song is recommending against it. :?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTTzwJsHpU8

Salvius on
    current.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The best part of Windows7 is uninstalling Internet Explorer from your system.

SniperGuy on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dolly Parton has extremely large freakishly bloated breasts. I can definitely draw some parallels to IE8.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited December 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    Dolly Parton has extremely large freakishly bloated breasts. I can definitely draw some parallels to IE8.

They're bloated, don't work very well, and have little of the original software in there that made them good originally?

SniperGuy on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They're bloated, don't work very well, and have little of the original software in there that made them good originally?

Don't talk about Firefox that way!

Seriously I use Firefox at work and home, but do we really need another thread of people hating on Microsoft for no real reason. If it weren't for a couple extensions that are only in Firefox I'd use IE.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited December 2009
    Cronus wrote: »

Seriously I use Firefox at work and home, but do we really need another thread of people hating on Microsoft for no real reason. If it weren't for a couple extensions that are only in Firefox I'd use IE.

But you shouldn't, because IE is full of awful security holes and terrible things. Half the time it isn't even up to current web standards. Whereas Firefox, Chrome, or Opera all are, all the time. Or safari on a mac, maybe? I dunno. I know it's bad on Windows not sure on the Mac side.

SniperGuy on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cronus wrote: »

But you shouldn't, because IE is full of awful security holes and terrible things. Half the time it isn't even up to current web standards. Whereas Firefox, Chrome, or Opera all are, all the time. Or safari on a mac, maybe? I dunno. I know it's bad on Windows not sure on the Mac side.

IE is much more secure than Firefox these days. Firefox really got MS to step up their game. Firefox is now just slow and buggy. Perhaps they just have too many people working on it or the main people don't really care anymore, but it's not what it used to be.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited December 2009
    faster? Maybe.

Secure? Scuse me while I giggle madly. Not a chance. I mean, hell, it's the most widely used browser. Flat out it's targeted more. Not really Microsoft's fault there, but the chances of it being one of the more secure browsers is looooow.

SniperGuy on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Also neither of them can pass Acid3

Senjutsu on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Secure? Scuse me while I giggle madly. Not a chance. I mean, hell, it's the most widely used browser. Flat out it's targeted more. Not really Microsoft's fault there, but the chances of it being one of the more secure browsers is looooow.

IE6 and IE7 =/= IE8

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Opera is the best browser. Has almost everything you need 10 addons everywhere else, but still runs faster than any other browser with no addons installed.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited December 2009

IE6 and IE7 =/= IE8
    http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/test-center-guide-browser-security-250?page=0,5&source=fssr

Every other website i find is similar. IE8 has elevated security risks, which, as an employee at a help desk for a university, I see every day. Once we switch people to Firefox or something else, they stop having issues with the majority of their spyware and hijacking. ActiveX is still awful, as is IE8.

SniperGuy on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

IE6 and IE7 =/= IE8
    http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/test-center-guide-browser-security-250?page=0,5&source=fssr

Every other website i find is similar. IE8 has elevated security risks, which, as an employee at a help desk for a university, I see every day. Once we switch people to Firefox or something else, they stop having issues with the majority of their spyware and hijacking. ActiveX is still awful, as is IE8.

I'm just pointing out that there is no way IE8 is the most widely used browser. I think it's different enough from IE6 and IE7 to be considered a completely different piece of software.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure that ActiveX isn't enabled by default on IE8. That article you linked to cites ActiveX as a primary vector in IE, then goes on to criticize the vulnerabilities in previous versions of IE. It's also discussing the IE8 Beta.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought Firefox was the most widely used browser now?

Obviously it depends whose statistics you use, though.

EDIT: Actually, never mind, the statistics on Wikipedia are wildly different to those on the W3C site.

japan on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IE (all versions) is still the most widely used browser, with Firefox placing (a rather distant but not insignificant) second.

You know, I wouldn't mind as much, but Microsoft has touted IE8 as their most standards compliant browser yet. A few months ago, I busted up Notepad and built a website that was just pure standards compliant CSS1 and XHTML. Rendered fine in every single browser I cared to try: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Konqueror, Midori, whatever. IE8 was the only browser that refused to render the site properly without errors. Granted, I'm far from an expert on web standards compliance or browser compatibility, but it was a disheartening experiment.

Sobering thought: last I read, IE6 still comprises a little less than a quarter of all browsers used. :cry:

Zxerol on
    edited December 2009
    While IE 8 is their most standards compliant ever, it still has serious issues with its CSS implementation.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2009

IE6 and IE7 =/= IE8

I'm just pointing out that there is no way IE8 is the most widely used browser. I think it's different enough from IE6 and IE7 to be considered a completely different piece of software.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure that ActiveX isn't enabled by default on IE8. That article you linked to cites ActiveX as a primary vector in IE, then goes on to criticize the vulnerabilities in previous versions of IE. It's also discussing the IE8 Beta.

You have to turn on ActiveX to do fricken Windows Update.

SniperGuy on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait, what? Windows Update goes through the Control Panel. Pretty sure in Vista, and definitely in 7. And in 7, I haven't had to go to the Microsoft Update site to make sure that Office updates were downloaded through WU, either.

Cyvros on
    edited December 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Wait, what? Windows Update goes through the Control Panel. Pretty sure in Vista, and definitely in 7. And in 7, I haven't had to go to the Microsoft Update site to make sure that Office updates were downloaded through WU, either.

In XP. Which is what I do believe most people have. Though I could be wrong there.

SniperGuy on
    edited December 2009

In XP. Which is what I do believe most people have. Though I could be wrong there.

So you turn it on for Windows Update. You still have to turn it on, explicitly, on a per-site basis, for anything else. I believe that's default behavior, unless you specifically modify your 'Zone' settings.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never had any CSS issues with IE8.

Unless you count CSS3, which you shouldn't because CSS3 isn't finalized.

In fact, I would argue that IE8 actually does SOME CSS things better or at least more sensible than Firefox, namely the handling of floated objects within parent containers.

Is it still a horrible piece of shit from a user perspective? yes.

Jasconius on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

So you turn it on for Windows Update. You still have to turn it on, explicitly, on a per-site basis, for anything else. I believe that's default behavior, unless you specifically modify your 'Zone' settings.

Yeah but

You're an English major

You don't know computers

You just want to visit the link your buddy sent you via e-mail

Some prompt pops up and says what you interpret to mean "click yes to view the site or no not to"

So you click what

You click yes. They always click yes.

You cannot blame the user because you designed a system with massive inherent flaws and then relied on all users everywhere to fully educate themselves as to the risks involved in utilizing said system and analyzing each scenario in an effective manner. Nerds do that, but not everyone is a nerd and it's bullshit to throw up your hands and suggest that everyone should just be nerdier.

ActiveX is the problem, not the user. Until they abandon it completely and replace it with something reasonably secure, they cannot claim that they are offering a safe and secure system for the average user.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whether IE8 is a shitty browser or not, having country music star Dolly Parton endorse it on the partner website is still a 'wtf?' moment.

That's more what I was getting at.

Deicist on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't know a gigabyte from a snake bite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYENOUcaAsM

DekuStick on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    going on a firefox rampage in an IE thread should be some kind of new godwin.

Buttcleft on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't even use IE8 much and I think this is the dumbest thread.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    I think we can all agree that she has really great boobs.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    gaaaah, Microsoft is so tone deaf.

As an aside, Dolly Parton has the best quote

"It took a lot of money to make me look this cheap."

Jasconius on
    edited January 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that she has really great boobs.

Great danes, great lakes, great depression, great boobs

Senjutsu on
  • GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I run both IE8 and Firefox on my main machine. I end up using IE8 most of the time though because I just seem to like the UI a little bit more. Oh im sure I can get the same UI through FF with plugins but Im just lazy. Another reason is curiosity. I work at a small IT startup and Ive sort of become the OS recovery and malware removal expert there. Most of what I have to work on is from people who use IE as their main browser. I have a running experiment to see just how bad it can get through normal browsing. So far in 4 years, Ive only had a couple of main issues pop up. Only 1 took any kind of advanced tool to clear out. My belief is that most people (present company excluded) have unsafe browsing habits and stuff like this will still be around till people get wise to whats out there. Microsoft could still do a lot more to lock their browser down, disassociate it more from Windows, and to give inexperienced users better training wheels without constant popups and distractions.

I still use FF for any online shopping or banking and for any guests.

Greenish on