As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

1404142434446»

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    commathe wrote: »
    Thinking of taking it back and buying Disgaea for the fuckteenth time. Cutscenes look cool though, even if the dialogue has wierdened.

Aside from the crazy bullshit battles, (of which I only count 2, although some people count more) I like FFT better than Disgaea. I really enjoy Disgaea's wacky sensibilities, but I prefer FFT's focus on jobs to Disgaea's Ultimate Grindfest Xtreme!

I like both, since I'm a SRPG whore, but I know which one I would choose if I could only have one.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    commathe wrote: »
    Thinking of taking it back and buying Disgaea for the fuckteenth time. Cutscenes look cool though, even if the dialogue has wierdened.

Aside from the crazy bullshit battles, (of which I only count 2, although some people count more) I like FFT better than Disgaea. I really enjoy Disgaea's wacky sensibilities, but I prefer FFT's focus on jobs to Disgaea's Ultimate Grindfest Xtreme!

I like both, since I'm a SRPG whore, but I know which one I would choose if I could only have one.

This exactly.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys, I ... never finished this game. I had it on playstation and didn't finish. I have the disc physically resting in my PSP right now, and I've never finished it there. I've STARTED this game and sunk 4-5 hours or so into it, each time, maybe 7 times.

I have to finish this game. I must do it.

desc on
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yes, you must indeed.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
    edited November 2008
    templewulf wrote: »

This exactly.

Whoo! Accord and recognition!

Honestly, I think all RPG-fans should try to get through it at least once. It's one of the few games that doesn't hand-hold you through the whole plot. Sure, it's a re-telling of Tactics Ogre, but I enjoyed it more the second time. :)

templewulf on
  • KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LockeCole wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Monk skills are great as backup for just about any class if you're interested in grinding out some JP prior to that fight. Chakra alone makes it a worthwhile addition. Try playing around with some unorthodox job combinations such as a Knight with Throw Items until you find something that works for you. Monks with Equip Armor can take one hell of a beating as well.
    Hmm, haven't messed with monks, yet. I'll give that a shot. Most of my knights already have Equip Heavy Armor, Equip Shields, Parry, and Rend Weapon (which i never use, on account of it never works [when I need it to]).

I'd recommend working on some monks or at least getting some of the monk skills for some of your guys - they are amazingly good when you first can get them (I seem to recall the monk class isn't that hard to unlock) and even late game are pretty damn useful.

Monks were the backbone of my forces. Next to my Broadsword wielding ninjas, they pretty much ended most of the bosses for me.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't want to bump the old A2 thread, so I guess posting it here is the best bet. I'm not sure if I'm the first to find this out, but I felt so proud of myself that I had to share.

I've been playing through the original FFTA and found a pretty neat way to win some of the harder, near end game battles. If you find yourself in a battle where one of the enemies can use the Zombify ability, and you have in your possession a Sniper, you're in luck. Just take these three easy steps:

1. Make sure your Sniper knows Conceal, or has the Windslash Bow equipped (which teaches conceal). Have their backup abilities be items so they can revive teammates. Mine also had Auto-Regen so that if if it was hurt, she could go invis and just heal gradually.
    2. Hope one of your other guys gets zombified. Zombies revive after 3 rounds when KOed.
    3. Never lose.

You see, Conceal turns you invisible until you act. So, if your sniper never acts it stays alive and hidden. And your zombied guy can attack everyone else. If he goes down, just wait a bit and he'll be back. I came across this by accident as almost all of my other units got annihilated, except the zombie one (a black mage). Then, for some reason the sniper popped back up (I'm still not sure how that happened as it never got zombied). So I quickly used Conceal. Then, it was the only one left. But the black mage popped up. I then realized Zombify is the greatest gift ever. And proceeded to Thundara the last totema and 3 of her vampire buddies once or twice every 4 turns and win the battle.

:D

Goose! on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, is there any viable way to get a Dark Knight outside of the horrid uphill grindfest that it is in traditional levelling?

Mechanical on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nope, the Grind train's the only way, pal.

You can try learning the -ga Black Magic spells a la Blue Mage, that's some JP saved, but that's about it.

Wearingglasses on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So anyone know when sony is patching adhoc internet tunneling into the psp/ps3? Would love to do some multi on this with out having to get with in striking distances of my oponents.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Malechai wrote: »
    So anyone know when sony is patching adhoc internet tunneling into the psp/ps3? Would love to do some multi on this with out having to get with in striking distances of my oponents.
    It's not a "patch" in the usual sense. It's a program called Ad-Hoc Party (runs just like a download game). It's in Beta right now for Japan. You can get a copy of the Beta by opening up a Japanese PSN account and downloading it through the Japanese Playstation Store. Good luck trying to find a partner right now, though... again, it's in Beta, and most everyone is playing either Phantasy Star Portable or Monster Hunter Portable.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    desc wrote: »
    Guys, I ... never finished this game. I had it on playstation and didn't finish. I have the disc physically resting in my PSP right now, and I've never finished it there. I've STARTED this game and sunk 4-5 hours or so into it, each time, maybe 7 times.

I have to finish this game. I must do it.

Man, I've put 70 hours into a savefile without beating the game. I had too muchfun dicking around to finish the game.

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so I just picked this up at Best Buy for $10.

I am going to have read this thread all the way through to pretend I know what is going on.

Spicy_Rev on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I did the same, and I got as far as the gorgeous opening cutscene before I had to stop due to dead pixels.

:(

Thetheroo on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not picking this up at $10 is criminal. (It's mostly a Greatest Hits reprint from what I saw, but still.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, I am picking up my old save file after a, oh gosh, year-long break? I've had fond, fond memories of it all this time, but my last battle was the (apparently) dreaded Library in Orbonne (Chap 3), and even though I fought past it, it killed my motivation for a while. Hopefully the rest of the game is less break-your-PSP frustrating? I don't mind a hard battle, but that was really demoralizing.

I'm back into it now, because I adore the style and the story, and I want to finish. I don't want to dick around too much with party-tweaking and class-leveling, though. So far, I've just fought a few random battles to get reacquainted with my party and everything. What's a powerful party combination that should see me through to the end?

Right now, Ramza and all my main physical fighters (three or four that I cycle in and out) are all Samurais with Martial Arts secondary, including all the good stuff (aurablast, shockwave, chakra, heal-on-move, revive, etc). My two main magic users are Time Mages, one with Black secondary, the other with White. I also have dedicated White and Black mages both with Martial Arts secondaries (just chakra and heal-on-move, I think).

And I have, of course, Agrias, Luso, and Mustadio. Haven't done much with them aside from keep them leveled in random battles.

Edit: oh, yeah. Everyone is in the 25-26 region, right now.

gilrain on
    edited December 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    What's a powerful party combination that should see me through to the end?

I'm a big fan of monks, but remember that Chakra only works on perfectly level ground. If the next square over is even .5 height difference, chakra won't work on that tile. Its healing benefits aren't good enough to have every person just chakra-ing individually, so you'll need a steady stream of white magic.

Also, unless you put a good amount of effort into acquiring the high end katana selection, your samurai won't be very great at the end game. Also 2, unless you cheat, you only get one each of the high end swords, so breaking them with the samurai skill means you never get to use that skill again.

If you want game-breakingly good support skills, go for the ninja's dual wield. Plus, the end game unique characters are so good, my advice probably doesn't matter anyway.

Plus, the general FF thread is where this should likely go.

templewulf on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, Move MP Up and HP/MP Switch are a good combo on melee fighters, because so long as you move 1 square per turn, that character will negate at least one hit, no matter how powerful it is.

Delzhand on
    edited December 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Also, Move MP Up and HP/MP Switch are a good combo on melee fighters, because so long as you move 1 square per turn, that character will negate at least one hit, no matter how powerful it is.

Yeah, HP/MP switch is great, because the "overflow" damage doesn't go to HP, it just falls off the end of the damage equation. I can't really recommend HP walk, though.

templewulf on
  • TheManiac_614TheManiac_614 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    thread necromancy much?

TheManiac_614 on
    halolz-dot-com-worldofwarcraft-nogirlfriendchart.gif
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can not reccomend Dragoons highly enough, they do some great damage and their jump attacks are crazy if you get em' maxed out. My Ramza was a dragoon pretty much since I unlocked the job.

Man, If I wasn't into disgaea right now I'd be tempted to dig out my disc again.

gunwarrior on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You guys know FFT talk is allowed in the FF thread, right?

I know XoB likes to forbid it, but he's not in charge anymore. ;)

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks guys, that gives me some ideas to go on. If I have more questions, I'll move it to the FF thread. I figured FF was just for the main series.

gilrain on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You guys know FFT talk is allowed in the FF thread, right?

I know XoB likes to forbid it, but he's not in charge anymore. ;)

I never actually forbid FFT, I forbade Dissidia, and that was by request of a forumer. What I did forbid was any game without FF in the title, and then I rambled off a list from memory of all FF games, more or less in release order and more or less with the appropriate title.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576