As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird computer issue

Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
Ok, I've dealt with it for awhile, but this is starting to drive me crazy. I have a relatively decent system, 2.4 GHz quad core processor, 3 GB of Ram. Running Vista 32 bit.

I'd say about once every 5 minutes when it's at its best, and every 30 seconds when it's at its worst, no matter what I'm doing, everything will just freeze for 1-5 seconds. The mouse won't move, and all motion on the monitor and sound stops. If I move the cursor or type while the freeze is occurring, as soon as the freeze is over the cursor moves to where it should have been moved to, and all the text I typed pops up. If I'm watching a video, it usually doesn't skip any time, just continues where it froze. I don't get this luxury in online games, though, making them rather difficult to play on my PC. Whenever I try to play TF2, probably 90% of my deaths take place during these short freezes.

I can't figure out what's causing this. I check the system process manager and it says I have free memory and processor affinity. This has been going on as long as I can remember, and I'm sick of dealing with it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
Raiden333 on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, I've seen issues like this be hardware related. In my case it was a bad CD drive that was randomly disconnecting/drawing too much power that locked up the whole system. However that quickly escalated. If yours has been going on for a long time without getting worse, I'd be inclined to say it's a software problem.

What you might try is downloading Process Monitor. Start it up, open up your system clock so you can see the time in seconds, and then wait for a hang. Then when it hangs, check the log for things like, failed file/registry accesses, memory usage, process starts, things like that at the time of the hang. Mark Russonovich's blog has some posts and videos in which he goes into more detail about using ProcMon to analyze hangs.

If you figure out what's doing it using that tool, you can send him your log dumps and some screenshots of it with the description of how you did it, and he might use your case an example in his blog or a seminar.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can you test the RAM, too, just in case?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've actually had a similar problem where my computer will momentarily freeze up and when i have the task manager up you can see where the 3.1ghz dual core processor will spike from little to no cpu usage up to max and immediately back down.

I might have to try the things you recommended to the OP too

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    NathiasNathias Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A long long time ago I had a similar problem and it turned out to be my power supply was either going bad or not powerful enough for all the components I had in my PC. I got a better power supply and my problems went away.

Nathias on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when weird things happen, check the PSU and the RAM sticks first.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ram seems fine... is a 450 watt power supply just not up to snuff to changing from an 8800gt to a 9600gt and fairly heavy use for games and editing software like the adobe suite?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Your PSU has enough power, but that doesn't mean that the PSU is sound and working flawlessly.

I would agree that process monitor would be a good tool to check out at this point. Find out what process is causing the spike and see if its accessing a particular piece of hardware that may be choking the system.

travathian on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Someone has probably already brought this up, but is there an accompanying clicking noise? Kind of soft, but distinct?

What you've described sounds kind of like a HDD with bad sectors.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had this... was PSU related in my case. Your case isn't a Sonota II with stock PSU in it, is it?

also:
    Whenever I try to play TF2, probably 90% of my deaths take place during these short freezes.
    excellent excuse :P

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does it happen in safe mode as well? That alone will give you a ton of info.

I also agree with Tofystedeth and suggest Process Monitor. It's a beefed up Task Manager and should be able to tell you what the problem is, if it's a software issue.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Technically, Process Explorer is the beefed up Task Manager (you can even check a menu option so that it opens PE when you press Ctrl+alt+del instead of Task Manager.) Process Monitor is FileMon + RegMon mashed together. Essentially Process Explorer with logging.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when weird things happen, check the PSU and the RAM sticks first.

+1

Just about every computer harddrive problem I've every had has come down to my PSU. When I was younger I would always look for something more complex,
    - my HDD is dying
    - my video card is flacking out
    - etc.

But once I replace the PSU it all goes back to normal.

So I suggest

1. Run a bunch of RAM tests.
    2. Buy / Borrow a PSU put it in check it out.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    For RAM tests, you can go here and download one. They have an ISO you can burn to a cd as well as one for a bootable USB drive. Just pop it in, reboot your computer and let it go.
    Though generally, RAM problems tend to present themselves with weirder problems than just occasional hangs.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png