As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

trilbies and reeboks and trenchcoats, oh no!

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    Speaking of wallets, I have a Louis Vuitton wallet. Not because I am baller or pretentious or anything like that, but my grandfather was and when he died I inherited his wallet. It was a free wallet, in good condition and it is on the slim side so it keeps me from loading it up with cards and other shit where it looks like I have a growth coming out of my right buttock, so I have become quite fond of it.

The thing that annoys me is every so often I will be at a restaurant or store or something and the person there will comment on how they have the same wallet. Why do they do this? It's like they are trying to say, "Even though I have this shit job, I have an expensive wallet too, so don't judge me."

Maybe

Maybe they're just making small talk

I tell people I (/my mom/my cousin/my roommate) have (/has) that same (whatever) all the time

It's just an observation, you pretentious baller

Sheri on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheri wrote: »
    Now, granted, I'm not a dude.

This is the main thing to me.

To me, women follow fashion, and men follow style and they are very different things. It doesn't mean that women's fashion can't be stylish or a man's style can't have some flair to it, but there are ways to do it. In my personal view of style, the flair comes in different places than a woman's.

Besides, if a woman like you has a cute print on your wallet, it's adorable. I don't want to be adorable.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Now, granted, I'm not a dude.

This is the main thing to me.

To me, women follow fashion, and men follow style and they are very different things. It doesn't mean that women's fashion can't be stylish or a man's style can't have some flair to it, but there are ways to do it. In my personal view of style, the flair comes in different places than a woman's.

Besides, if a woman like you has a cute print on your wallet, it's adorable. I don't want to be adorable.

My wallet is not in fashion.

It does, however, adhere to my sense of style (or lack thereof).

Sheri on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    people compliment me on my Starry Night credit card sometimes

But if you're trying to give off a mature, business-man vibe then yeah, naked cartoon lady wallet is not the way to go

and man how is this theoretical date looking at the inside of your wallet?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of wallets, I have a Louis Vuitton wallet. Not because I am baller or pretentious or anything like that, but my grandfather was and when he died I inherited his wallet. It was a free wallet, in good condition and it is on the slim side so it keeps me from loading it up with cards and other shit where it looks like I have a growth coming out of my right buttock, so I have become quite fond of it.

The thing that annoys me is every so often I will be at a restaurant or store or something and the person there will comment on how they have the same wallet. Why do they do this? It's like they are trying to say, "Even though I have this shit job, I have an expensive wallet too, so don't judge me."

But there is a cool story behind it, I think it's pretty interesting you inherited your grandfather's wallet. I have a pair of earrings that were my nan's and they're old fashioned but I like them, even though they aren't that cool.

I'm not saying that I have an issue with people having interesting wallets, what I am saying is that its bound to raise eyebrows if your boss or someone you're trying to set a first impression with sees you win nude anime girls on your wallet.

Liiya on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    my wallet:

shamrockmoneyclip100.jpg

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think I just don't care if my boss/future employer/whatever sees my wallet

Then again

I don't have a naked chick on it

Sheri on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    No, I agree with you totally NaC, a wallet says a lot about a person. It's got to be something classy, with a bit of style and not too dull but nor too elaborate. That's why whenever I buy a purse (or whatever the American word is) I always spend ages choosing. My current is leather, enough room for cards, house keys and in a plain pink colour. It's simple, and I think that's what a wallet and purse needs to be, simple to suit all occasions because a lot of people from your family to boss could end up seeing it.

I'm picturing the following scenario:

You meet a great girl and you hang out a few times, get some coffee together, watch netflix at your house and you decide that there might be something serious here. So you ask her out to a nice dinner, you get fancied up, go and wine and dine her and things are going great. You offer to pay for her dinner and this is the moment where you should pull out the credit card and drop it in there like a confident, capable man, but all she's seeing is the naked cartoon chick on the inside of your billfold.

sooooo what you're saying, NAS, is that you have to be fake to get women to like you

I know (or think) that you're just fucking around with me, but it does bring up a point. It's about presentation. Having a certain way you present yourself is not fake. I mean, unless it is. If you are a lazy bum and don't have any confidence and stability, then presenting that would be fake. But using style to present an aspect of yourself is not. I make decent money, I am an adult and I can take care of myself and those I care about. There are elements of what I wear that are meant to illustrate that. I'm not in a situation where I need to obsess over a dinner bill and if I'm dating someone, I'll let them know in the way that I present myself that I have that stability, because I think it's a strong point. It's like tailoring a resume. You understand what the employer is looking for and you present the aspects of yourself that match those desires.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    have a naked dude on it

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    have a naked dude on it

Someone make me a Dancing Dong wallet, stat

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    NaC said what I was trying to say but I didn't know how to say because I am a dumb blonde.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    NaC said what I was trying to say but I didn't know how to say because I am a dumb blonde.

That's just how you present yourself!

Sheri on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    have a naked dude on it

Someone make me a Dancing Dong wallet, stat
    animated hologram as you flip open the wallet

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I know, it's tragic. But what can I do?

(That was sarcasm in the previous post, I just didn't want to come across as too pushy with my opinion by typing all that out, but luckily for me NaC did.)

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I know, it's tragic. But what can I do?

(That was sarcasm in the previous post, I just didn't want to come across as too pushy with my opinion by typing all that out, but luckily for me NaC did.)

Woman I am just kidding

Sheri on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It has actually been cold enough here lately to justify wearing my fur hat

But I think I am a heat-seeker, my room at work is probably 15 degrees higher than elsewhere in the office and I still sit there sometimes in a scarf and coat

Janson on
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the only thing i need from a wallet is for it to feel nice. As I seem to spend money constantly it might as well feel good in my hand.

I like real soft leather.

gazamc on
  • Options
    zoom. zip. smash.zoom. zip. smash. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Janson wrote: »
    It has actually been cold enough here lately to justify wearing my fur hat

But I think I am a heat-seeker, my room at work is probably 15 degrees higher than elsewhere in the office and I still sit there sometimes in a scarf and coat

When I was living in a dorm, each room could control its own heating and that heating was free no matter how much you used. When it was 0 degrees outside, my room was effing tropical.

Because I like to be naked.

zoom. zip. smash. on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Why did I not realise how overweight I was until I lost some weight

I actually cover myself up more now I am so ashamed and am a little embarrassed to think of what I tried to get away with wearing

Janson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    (I know Sheri :P)

That furry hat with the tan coloured fur? I bet your head is boiling! :D

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Not especially! I guess that maybe since it is not real fur it is not quite as insulating

it is just warm in a comforting way, I wore it to the cinema the other day as it's often cold inside cinemas

I am a cat/snake, I bask

Janson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cinemas overcompensate with their air-conditioning, even in summer you have to take a jacket to keep yourself warm.

Liiya on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If I had a sweet wallet I inherited from my grandfather I'd say "Cool! I inherited this one from my grandfather" every time someone said they had a similar one, or commented it

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wonder if anybody has asked for a crocheted balaclava.
    Or a Lucha Libre mask.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Rinder wrote: »
    Or a Lucha Libre mask.

OH MY GOD

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm a little surprised nobody has asked for a crocheted balaclava.
    Or a Lucha Libre mask.

I'm making one for Firetruck, actually. You are mistaken.

zoom. zip. smash. on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No, I agree with you totally NaC, a wallet says a lot about a person. It's got to be something classy, with a bit of style and not too dull but nor too elaborate. That's why whenever I buy a purse (or whatever the American word is) I always spend ages choosing. My current is leather, enough room for cards, house keys and in a plain pink colour. It's simple, and I think that's what a wallet and purse needs to be, simple to suit all occasions because a lot of people from your family to boss could end up seeing it.

I'm picturing the following scenario:

You meet a great girl and you hang out a few times, get some coffee together, watch netflix at your house and you decide that there might be something serious here. So you ask her out to a nice dinner, you get fancied up, go and wine and dine her and things are going great. You offer to pay for her dinner and this is the moment where you should pull out the credit card and drop it in there like a confident, capable man, but all she's seeing is the naked cartoon chick on the inside of your billfold.

sooooo what you're saying, NAS, is that you have to be fake to get women to like you

I know (or think) that you're just fucking around with me, but it does bring up a point. It's about presentation. Having a certain way you present yourself is not fake. I mean, unless it is. If you are a lazy bum and don't have any confidence and stability, then presenting that would be fake. But using style to present an aspect of yourself is not. I make decent money, I am an adult and I can take care of myself and those I care about. There are elements of what I wear that are meant to illustrate that. I'm not in a situation where I need to obsess over a dinner bill and if I'm dating someone, I'll let them know in the way that I present myself that I have that stability, because I think it's a strong point. It's like tailoring a resume. You understand what the employer is looking for and you present the aspects of yourself that match those desires.

just fucking around a little bit, but cartoon titties on a wallet are still a presentation of style. if flipping open a wallet and having a pinup on the inside of your billfold makes a person completely disregard the entirety of the experience up to that point, then there is indeed a large degree of shallowness involved.

also, if a work relationship is anything like personal relationships then a person either has an extremely friendly work environment or a distant relationship.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, page 100. Do we wait until this one is locked, or should I just go ahead and make a new one?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm a little surprised nobody has asked for a crocheted balaclava.
    Or a Lucha Libre mask.

I'm making one for Firetruck, actually. You are mistaken.

Wouldn't mind seeing the finished product for this.

Rinder on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, page 100. Do we wait until this one is locked, or should I just go ahead and make a new one?

Send a pm to a mod and make a new one.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    and you can name the new one "only jerks have ugly wallets"

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    also, if a work relationship is anything like personal relationships then a person either has an extremely friendly work environment or a distant relationship.

Whenever we swap shop-keys over at the end of the day I attach them to my purse, that's how my co-workers see mine. I guess this doesn't apply to office work.

Liiya on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2009
    if having a wallet made out of human skin makes me a bad person, I'm willing to take that chance.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'm so proud of my little thread all grown up now

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    if having a wallet made out of human skin makes me a bad person, I'm willing to take that chance.

This is SE++, no one will judge you here!

Liiya on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Maybe

I tell people I (/my mom/my cousin/my roommate) have (/has) that same (whatever) all the time

I guess my problem is I am horrible at small talk, so I don't know how to respond to them.

Congratulations?

Yah, it's pretty neat, huh?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I am horrible at small talk, too

It is especially bad in America where everyone opens with 'how are you' but then waltz on by before you can properly respond

Janson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I swear to God this model needs to respond to me so I can know if we're gonna shoot today or if I can go pick up new glasses

Seriously this is ridiculous.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I love when I ask somebody "What's up?" and they respond with "How are you doing?"

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Maybe

I guess my problem is I am horrible at small talk, so I don't know how to respond to them.

Congratulations?

Yah, it's pretty neat, huh?

Tell the story about how it was your grandfather's and how he gave it to you and so it's special.

Small talk isn't about content, it's about being inoffensive and filling the time.

zoom. zip. smash. on
This discussion has been closed.