As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOTY 2009 Poll: Nominations needed!

• Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You must have Football Manager 2009 in there.

MindLib on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Dark Spire (DS)

Saddler on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Looks like I won't have a problem coming up with 20 this year.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Football Manager 2010, but okay.

Here's a question actually-- didn't that DSWare thing launch that year? I just realized I don't really have any DS downloadable games. After poking around what I've got so far is:

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DS*)
    Mighty Flip Champs (DS*)
    PictoBits (DS*)
    WarioWare: Snapped! (DS*)

Anything else on DSWare worth mentioning?

mcc on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Actually, yes.

Art Style: Precipice (DSWare)

I actually played a ton of that on commutes. There are other Art Style games, I know, but that's the only one I know offhand.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    Shadow Complex is the best game.

It loses points in my heart because I can't play it, not having an Xbox.

It's a shame that it's only available through Live Arcade, it should easily have been released for the PS3 and PC as well. :?

And apparently it's one of those titles that will never cross platforms. You'd think, with it being a somewhat indie title, that they'd want it out there for more people. I mean, it certainly isn't a "system seller" for the Xbox, so why the exclusivity?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only game I've played that is not on your list is Droplitz. Download only and is on PC, 360 and PS3.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

It's a shame that it's only available through Live Arcade, it should easily have been released for the PS3 and PC as well. :?

And apparently it's one of those titles that will never cross platforms. You'd think, with it being a somewhat indie title, that they'd want it out there for more people. I mean, it certainly isn't a "system seller" for the Xbox, so why the exclusivity?
    Well, it's published by Microsoft, so the PS3 is out. They're also a fan of keeping games off the PC for as long as possible, so as to push the Xbox brand.

Monger on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Overlord II came out this year? I got that during a sale on Steam and haven't played it at all yet. I did play the first Overlord, but have not finished it.

I found another game for the list. Yosumin!. Download only, PC and 360. It appears to be known as Yosumin! Live on 360. As far as I can tell it was originally a Flash game and was released for the DS in Japan in 2007, but the first release in English was this year.

I wish I would have been able to play Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers so that I could vote for it, but it doesn't come out in Europe until february.

I think it'd be cool if we did a poll of what we think of the games of 2008, now. That's mostly because I didn't play Burnout Paradise (which didn't come out for PC before the beginning of 2009) and Devil May Cry 4 before I got a new computer earlier this year and absolutely love both of those.
    DMC4 is by far the single player only game I spent the most time on this year and I've played Burnout for over a hundred hours, but do not know the distribution between single player and multiplayer.

Peewi on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From 360 Indie games we've had Miner Dig Deep and I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 both of which only cost something like 60p and were fantastic.

Edit; Also Twin Blades and Leave Home, neither of which I've played long enough to claim as my undisputed games-of-the-year, but they are pretty damned awesome regardless.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Demon's Souls needs to win this poll so hard.

Well, yes.
    At least some websites have awarded it the credit it deserves.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well some of us are still waiting to play it.

:(

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Monger wrote: »

Well, it's published by Microsoft, so the PS3 is out. They're also a fan of keeping games off the PC for as long as possible, so as to push the Xbox brand.

Microsoft also published Braid, so there's a possibility it'll come to the PC and PS3 once Microsoft's exclusivity period runs out.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mcc wrote: »
    Football Manager 2010, but okay.

Woops, right. 2010.

MindLib on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey MCC, Mirror's Edge was released on PC on Jan 16 2009, but it was released on consoles a few months earlier. Can you add the PC version on the list or doesn't it work like that?

Aldo on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Hey MCC, Mirror's Edge was released on PC on Jan 16 2009, but it was released on consoles a few months earlier. Can you add the PC version on the list or doesn't it work like that?

Including delayed ports messes up the list and you'll get some people that'll vote for the same game in consecutive years, so it's annoying. They've long been excluded from the GOTY nominations.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ahh it's time for this poll again, I love it.

That's about all I have to add to this thread, sorry.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I nominate Brutal Legend, for resurrecting the Action/RTS genre, for it's big awesome heavy metal world and 107 tracks, and making an RTS on a console that doesn't fucking suck.

I play it's MP more than MW2. Yes it's that good.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DJ MAX Fever was this year? Shame no one bought it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does arcade count? If it is then I nominate blazblue continuum shift. It's a pretty good improvement over calamity trigger.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought Continuum Shift was only Japan released.

Also thinking about this year and the list makes me consider two things. A) Goddamn 2009 was a great year for PC. And B) between the stuff this year and upcoming next year I'm really going to need to get a PS3 sometime soon.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Doesn't stop importing. In fact it even has english subtitles. Though I guess it isn't really legally released there yet.

Even here in australia. The arcade I go to has it.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Games have to have been released in America to qualify for this poll. This ensures that most of the forum has access to the game and that no game shows up on the poll two years in a row because of a new release.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fair enough. Though from the looks of it it's the only way to get CS arcade is through importing.

Probably have to wait next year for the console version.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Solium Infernum needs to be added to the list.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, MCC, if you don't mind hosting two polls right after another, I have compiled a list of the top 30 games from each of your polls 2004-2008, and the top ranked non sports (2k/Madden) games by Metacritic 2000-2003 for a game of the decade debacle. The list is on googledocs if you want a link.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Oh, MCC, if you don't mind hosting two polls right after another, I have compiled a list of the top 30 games from each of your polls 2004-2008, and the top ranked non sports (2k/Madden) games by Metacritic 2000-2003 for a game of the decade debacle. The list is on googledocs if you want a link.

Actually I'd be very curious to see that! It might be interesting to try to run an of-the-decade poll after the 2009 GOTY is finished.

mcc on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Actually I'd be very curious to see that! It might be interesting to try to run an of-the-decade poll after the 2009 GOTY is finished.
    If you're going to run a poll stretching back to previous years, you might as well do another "greatest ever" one. It'd be easy to determine the best game of the past decade from that list; just disregard any game in the results dating before 2000.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Your PM box is full, and I'm not posting it here to detract from current proceedings.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only played about 10 games this year at length enough to vote for them. Looks like 50 Cent Blood on the Sand will be getting a 10th place vote by default.

Does 1 vs 100 qualify?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Might as well add Onichanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers (Wii).

Saddler on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Saddler wrote: »

There's also the different Xbox 360 Onechanbara game, Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Saddler wrote: »

There's also the different Xbox 360 Onechanbara game, Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad.

I thought this was for good games.

Seriously, the Wii game is probably the worst action game I've ever played.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AI War: Fleet Command, although judging by the thread I made for it, no one bothered playing it so it won't get any votes anyways.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only played about 10 games this year at length enough to vote for them. Looks like 50 Cent Blood on the Sand will be getting a 10th place vote by default.

Does 1 vs 100 qualify?

You uh

You don't have to put a game on your list just because you played it, especially if it's not a game you enjoy. Simply because even a 10th place vote still helps it up in the rankings a little bit

Think I'd be putting Brutal Legend or Ghostbusters on my list even if I'd played less than 20? Fuck that. I wanna see that shit scrounge for its place on the final list

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah... 'tis the season for mcc's awesome poll. I love this thing.

Does Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) qualify for the pollification? Technically I guess it is a re-release, but there is a substantial amount of new content on top of MHF2.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dawn of Discovery (Wii / DS) - it's basically the same thing as Anno 1404 for PC, but not as complex and with more appropriate graphics for those systems. Don't know if you want to make that separate or combine the two. Considering how few people played Dawn of Discovery, don't know how many people that would affect.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's too bad I haven't played many games from this year (like the last few years). I'll probably be busy blowing smoke up Torchlight or Prototype's ass.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd probably nominate Gundam vs Gundam NEXT Plus if it wasn't JPN-only.

Gah, in hindsight I haven't really played many games that came out in 2009.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would say Batman & Borderlands are tied on GotY for me. Hard to choose. Strictly for amounts of fun hours, borderlands. Better executed game would probably be Batman.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3