As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Is there a workbench in the qeynos tutorial island? I'd ask ingame but the 1-9 channel is filled with people arguing about gays and no one seems to be on the PA channel.

Outside the tower near Murrar Shah is a wooden basement-style door. You should be able to click on that for an instanced tradeskillzone, IIRC. In the old days, it was inside the tower, but it was changed.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    buddylee wrote: »
    Is there a workbench in the qeynos tutorial island? I'd ask ingame but the 1-9 channel is filled with people arguing about gays and no one seems to be on the PA channel.

Outside the tower near Murrar Shah is a wooden basement-style door. You should be able to click on that for an instanced tradeskillzone, IIRC. In the old days, it was inside the tower, but it was changed.

Yeah I looked in there. I saw everything but the workbench I need to make rings apperently.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can drop those create quests if you want from newbie isle and then go to kelethin/neriak and pick them up again from the craft trainers there.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah I looked in there. I saw everything but the workbench I need to make rings apperently.

That's wierd. Haven't been in that instance in years, so I didn't realize that, sorry.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, I don't check the thread for 20 hours and you folks have added 2 pages! Rock on.
    I have a quick question. I have some old charecters back from when I tried a trial awhile ago. Are they not able to get all these ingame items my account info says I should have?

The answer is.... maybe. Many folks have reported that they get veteran rewards even for time their accounts were inactive. So really, just type /claim in-game and see what you get. Also, veteran rewards don't depend on the age of the character, they're based on the age of the account. So both old and new characters can get the vet rewards.

Remember to do /claim on every character, since many rewards are 1 per character.

I seem to remember making rings on the newbie island... did you explore all the little passageways off from the main areas of the tradeskill instance? I can't think why there wouldn't be a work bench in there.

Also, 1-9 chat is usually a cesspool. Try the crafting channel instead, because that is generally a fantastic bunch of helpful folks.
    s3rial one wrote: »
    [snip]
    Conjurer: Good. Extremely strong soloist. Gets elemental-based pets. Good damage output. Usually not taken for groups unless there's nobody else around.
    Necromancer: Evil. Basically a Conjurer with undead pets, instead.
    Illusionist: Good. Crowd-control/buffing. Mediocre damage. Summons a pet that also casts crowd control spells.
    Coercer: Evil. Illusionist, but instead of summoning pets, charms.

[snip]

Mystic: Good. Chain armor, melee-based damage. Really, really low damage. Heals via wards (buffs that soak up a certain amount of damage directed at the player). Can get a wolf pet. The pet sucks. Think of it like a crappy DoT that can be killed.
    Defiler: Evil. Almost identical to Mystic, to be honest. Less differentiation between these two classes than any other. Damage is, at least at lower levels, even worse than the Mystic's.

I think you summed up the classes really well. I'd add the following notes: Conjys and Necros can get regular groups just fine. Necro has the added benefit of lifetaps, so are considered slightly better soloers. Enchanters (Illys and Coercers) get mana-generation spells, which makes them very desired. They also get various great buffs for other classes (like the delicious Coercive Healing). Shaman (aka chain healers because of their armor) are also quite highly desired for groups.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited December 2009
    The answer is probally gonna be really obvious but how do I talk in the PA channel?

I figured I'd double-post to answer this so everyone can find it:

To join the PennyArcade custom chat channel from any server (thanks to Axen) type:

/join antonia_bayle.pennyarcade :coksdikslol

After you join, the channel will be assigned a number (#) like all your other chat channels.

To talk on the PennyArcade custom chat channel from any server (thanks to BuddyLee) type:

/# Your chat text here.

Put the PA channel number in place of the #.

To see what channels you are on, and their assigned numbers, type:

/channellist

To see who is on a particular channel, type:

/whochannel #
    Put the PA channel number in place of the #.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited December 2009
    Some of the quests in the qeynos tutorial island are really dumb. Like the one where you have to find some parts without actual locations for two of them. Or the skeleton one where I had to kill at least a hundred to get the items I needed.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Some of the quests in the qeynos tutorial island are really dumb. Like the one where you have to find some parts without actual locations for two of them. Or the skeleton one where I had to kill at least a hundred to get the items I needed.

Yeah, you're looking at really, really old content on those islands. You'll eventually be able to accurately tell what era of EQ2's development a particular zone is from based on the quests -- old stuff has a lot of "kill mobs for uncommon drops" and "kill a named who has a long respawn and a placeholder" or "find a tiny clicky thing in a giant zone". New stuff doesn't hew to those old MMO standards nearly as much - drops are more common, quests are much more varied, clickys are easier to find. Finish up whatever you want on the island, exit to Qeynos, and, IMHO, leg it to Timorous Deep/Gorowyn if you can. Greater Faydark would be good too, and easier to get to (magic carpet from Qeynos Harbor to Sinking Sands, carpet from SS to Gfay).

Speaking of old versus new content, if you have characters in the 40-50s, make sure you take them to Everfrost and Lavastorm for leveling. Great new questlines in both places, with nice rewards.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

edited December 2009

Yeah, you're looking at really, really old content on those islands. You'll eventually be able to accurately tell what era of EQ2's development a particular zone is from based on the quests -- old stuff has a lot of "kill mobs for uncommon drops" and "kill a named who has a long respawn and a placeholder" or "find a tiny clicky thing in a giant zone". New stuff doesn't hew to those old MMO standards nearly as much - drops are more common, quests are much more varied, clickys are easier to find. Finish up whatever you want on the island, exit to Qeynos, and, IMHO, leg it to Timorous Deep/Gorowyn if you can. Greater Faydark would be good too, and easier to get to (magic carpet from Qeynos Harbor to Sinking Sands, carpet from SS to Gfay).

Speaking of old versus new content, if you have characters in the 40-50s, make sure you take them to Everfrost and Lavastorm for leveling. Great new questlines in both places, with nice rewards.

I am a conjurer so I dunno if I can get to Timorous.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Was that skeleton quest Lore and Legend: Skeleton? Perhaps?
    Cos if so, you really aren't meant to grind those, unless you want to. They're something you get over the course of your gameplay, and you don't overly lose out if you don't have it.
    Basically keep the lore and legends in your quest log and forget about them, unless you happen to pick up a piece. Don't ocd over them or you'll quickly snap at the seams, and they're not worth that. There's a lot of quests in this game that are meant to be life long style things, or extra things you can do while donig something else. Eg if you happen to have lore and legend goblin or something, and someone sets a goblin quest, you can think "Oh I might get a few pieces from it" and be happier about doing that quest.
    What you get from doing the lore and legends is a book for your house, a lot of aa and exp, a trophy and that monster gets enabled on your Master Strike or Master Attack or whatever your class has for it's "Mastery" skill, which does a lot of damage and a good debuff versus that monster type.

Conjuror's can get there. Gorowyn is neutral.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited December 2009
    Don't seem to be many PAers around. I've seen two people besides me in the channel the entire time i've been on tonight :(

Also trying to figure out how to get to gorowyn.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Go to qeynos harbor and ride the carpet to sinking sands. near a tent just off the docks you end up on in sinking sands there is another carpet. Right click it and select "return to butcher block".
    One you get to butcher block, you will be right next to a big ol stone fortress that leads to a giant ramp. There will also be some docks.
    On one side of the fortress/dock is a cliff, the other has a long beach. Go along that beach, don't worry about the mobs none of them are aggro (stay out of the water tho) and eventually you will see a little ramp going up to a dune which has some quest people on it.
    Keep going along the dune till you get to the lizard/dragon man next to the griffon and talk to him, he will send you to gorowyn.

Okay, at gorowyn, what you want to do is look at your map. You'll note you are on the south west of three island, next to Gorowyn city. What you want to do is get over to the furtherest north east island. Here's what you do from the docks: skirt around the edge of the city (you'll have to drop off the docks into the water) until you are heading a bit inland. You'll go past some 20 non aggro mobs, over a hill, then you'll see a lady with an altar next to her (a prophet of karana).

Keep on going until you see a tower with a griffon under it. climb up the edge of the tower and talk to the guy and select....shit I forget the name now. The option that isn't Gorowyn or Village of Mok. That should lead you to the low level area in the island you are looking for.

You'll end up next to a broken bridge, turn away from the bridge and head inland past some barricades with lizard people and birds killing each other, eventually you'll find quest people. If you want the lowest level people, you'll have to keep heading into that island and climb down part of the cliff.

If you want level 12 onwards quests, go to Village of Mok instead.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited December 2009
    Don't seem to be many PAers around. I've seen two people besides me in the channel the entire time i've been on tonight :(

Are you Various in-game? I was on as Nerrin briefly.

To get to TD from Qeynos, go to the Antonica docks (by selecting Antonica from a "Travel outside of Qeynos" mariner bell), then wait for the boat to Kylong Plains. In KP, there should be another mariner bell that takes you to TD. I think. It's been a while since I've made the trip.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

edited December 2009
    What really? I had no idea you could take the bell. >_< I don't have a character high enough to hit up kylong plains yet.

All my alts have been taking the little adventure I posted earlier.

Morninglord on
    edited December 2009

Are you Various in-game? I was on as Nerrin briefly.

To get to TD from Qeynos, go to the Antonica docks (by selecting Antonica from a "Travel outside of Qeynos" mariner bell), then wait for the boat to Kylong Plains. In KP, there should be another mariner bell that takes you to TD. I think. It's been a while since I've made the trip.

No I am Sonelan. I took a break for abit to get owned in company of heroes. And thanks guys.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    What really? I had no idea you could take the bell. >_< I don't have a character high enough to hit up kylong plains yet.

All my alts have been taking the little adventure I posted earlier.

Maybe only evils can take the bell. I'll check.

Edit: Nope, it works for everyone. The bell is just a few steps off the boat from Antonica, and functions fine for Good characters.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember there being a wiki page for EQ2 that had a decent breakdown of where to go at what level? Trying to find it.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Zone_Guide

this works i suppose.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Soon as i hit 20 im gonna go catch up on my tradeskills. Should i take Armorsmithing as a Guardian? Or are any of the other trades more worthwhile?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited December 2009
    Saban wrote: »
    I remember there being a wiki page for EQ2 that had a decent breakdown of where to go at what level? Trying to find it.

I think you mean the soloing timeline and the dungeon timeline. Sadly they don't seem to be updated for The Shadow Odyssey, but that is mainly 75+ stuff.
    Saban wrote: »
    Soon as i hit 20 im gonna go catch up on my tradeskills. Should i take Armorsmithing as a Guardian? Or are any of the other trades more worthwhile?

Armorsmithing would be fine, and there aren't a whole lot around, but keep in mind that you'd only really be crafting yourself 7 pieces of armor every 10 levels at most. I'd recommend Alchemy, which means you could make your own combat art upgrades (called Essences), where you'd need a couple each level. You would also be making potions (health, power, stat boosts, status effect cures) and the poisons used by Scouts.

Scouts, by the way, would be well served by the Jeweler profession, where you'd make your own Runes to upgrade your combat arts, plus of course you'd make, uh, jewelry. :P

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anything in particular you'd recommend for an inquisitor, Harsh? I'm a bit lost on tradeskills.

EDIT: Customer service moves fast. I reported some dumbass named "Fukchitup," and like 5 minutes later, I see him sitting there with a GM in front of him.

s3rial one on
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for all the stuff Harsh. Sadly It won't let me use the ice storm 2 journeyman scroll :(

When do I get a new pet? The earth one is getting a bit boring :(

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Looks like I've joined the ranks of people who pay real money for in-game items. I picked up that gold-traced (appearance-only) armor set, because I absolutely love the look of it, and it's better than the clown suit of mismatched parts most MMOs dress you in.

G6yB5.jpg

s3rial one on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got my new computer last night and patched it up. It was amazing how fast you can get into the game with the trial. I started a mystic, for old times sake, and poked a few things with my spear before I had to log. It was very nice to be able to turn up the display settings in the game and the new machine handled it like a champ.

I got a 95W Phenom II x4 945 and I have to say I am very impressed with this chip. While downloading WoW, updating Vista (stupid have to wait for my Win7 upgrade) and browsing the net I peaked at 28c. It runs idle at 26c and it only got up to 31 when I was playing EQ2. I havent used an AMD chip since the original Athlon which was very noisy. The only way I can tell if the machine is on is by the case fan and the power light.

Jubal77 on
    edited December 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Anything in particular you'd recommend for an inquisitor, Harsh? I'm a bit lost on tradeskills.

Here's a quick rundown of tradeskills:

If you want to make your own Journeyman/Expert spells and combat arts:
    - Alchemists make CAs for all Fighter classes, plus potions and poisons
    - Jewelers make CAs for for all Scout classes, plus jewelry
    - Sages make Spells for all Mage and Priest classes
    This would probably save you the most money, since you won't have to pay to have the upgrades made or buy off the broker. (Gather your own rares to save much more on Experts.) Of course that only works if you keep your tradeskill level even with your adventure level, and it will cost some money to level your tradeskill (though it's not bad at all in my experience). Note that these 3 are all in one tradeskill branch, called Scholar. You choose 1 of the 3 subclasses at Scholar level 20. FYI, I'm a level 70 Sage at the moment, so this is the branch I know the most about.

If you want to make your own armor (and sell armor to others), then that's Armorer for plate and chain, Tailor for cloth and leather. Tailors also make backpacks and a few other things. In the same branch as those two, there is also Weaponsmith, which makes metal and leather weapons. These are in the Outfitter branch.

Lastly, there's the Craftsman branch, which includes Provisioner for stat-boosting foods and drinks, Woodworker for wooden weapons, ammo and totems, and Carpenter for house items, strongboxes, and broker boxes.

So for Inquis, good choices would be sage, armorsmith, or maybe weaponsmith. Jeweler would be good too. Remember that you can always sell stuff you make on the broker to earn money for your own equipments and spells, so you don't have to choose a profession that's directly related to your character.
    Thanks for all the stuff Harsh. Sadly It won't let me use the ice storm 2 journeyman scroll :(

When do I get a new pet? The earth one is getting a bit boring :(

You might have already scribed an Adept for that spell, in which case the Journeyman (one upgrade lower) won't work. Just broker it.

Disclaimer- I've played only a few levels of the Summoner class. But you'll end up with 3 main pets that you'll switch between as the situation requires: the Earth tank, then Fiery magician (20), and Aery hunter (32). Not a huge amount of variety I guess, but you do get a couple other limited pets along the way.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

edited December 2009
    I decided to go with provisioner. I'm tired of the obnoxious food/drink prices on the broker. Figured I'd make my own and generate some cash undercutting those price-gouging assholes, too.

s3rial one on
    edited December 2009
    I'll be one of your customers Serial.

Also I'm Various in game. :)

edit: I'm torn about which tradeskill to choose for myself. I was thinking provisioner too because of the same reasons Serial posted. But then I remembered that collecting food is a bitch and decided against it, which leads me to my next thing, serial let me know your in game char and I'll mail you any food from bushes and traps that I collect, I've got some T2 (Antonica level) stuff on me I've yet to AH. Maybe Jeweller, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of scout jewellery on the market. Hmm.

Klatu on
    edited December 2009
    Klatu, my character's name is Cammari. If you need anything made (I'm just getting into the level 30 food/drink), let me know and I'll hook you up.

Also, does anyone know of a way to stop the game from fucking up my window placement when I alt-tab? I've got the setting for allowing off-screen windows enabled, and most of my windows are just fine, but it screws with my bags every time I do it.

EDIT: Really, same deal goes for anyone that's interested. So long as you can provide me with some crafting mats, I'll make you all the food/drink you want.

s3rial one on
    edited December 2009
    Well you've already surpassed the level of stuff I've harvested so far, but if I can get the time to myself instead of leveling with guildies I'll try and get my harvesting up to scratch so I can send you useful stuff. Hopefully I have enough food to see me through til I need 40s stuff.

When I get home later today I'll start on my jewellery and see if I can stick with crafting past 20. :)

Klatu on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I went Scholar/Sage myself. Skill books seem to sell for bank and they are easy to make.

My only complaint with the crafting system is the somewhat random nature of it. I could be just sitting there and then BAM! Critical Failure! You loose a bar of durability! :x

Thankfully/Mercifully those are generally rare. I wouldn't even mind them at all if it was tied to me failing to click the right button when those action thingies pop up. Instead it is just the game going, "Nope *SMACK*, not today sonny."

edit- I guess I should say I still find the crafting system in EQ2 to be my favorite out of any MMO I've played.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited December 2009
    I used to think that as well Axen, until I got to mid 20s crafting on my old templar and died due to me being tired and not really noticing what was happening. A few mis-timed clicks and critical failures and BAM dead templar at the forge. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Klatu on
    edited December 2009
    Can that still happen? I remember that from my early days too. Hell, I remember dieing at the forge on Newbie Isle, but talking with the Crafting Tutorial NPC made it sound like that is no longer possible.

Axen on
    edited December 2009
    Not sure, it was a long time ago when that happened. :)

I'm judging the crafting system based off experiances I had ages ago. Perhaps things have changed enough that I wont want to cut myself these days hehe.

Klatu on
    edited December 2009
    Klatu wrote: »
    Well you've already surpassed the level of stuff I've harvested so far, but if I can get the time to myself instead of leveling with guildies I'll try and get my harvesting up to scratch so I can send you useful stuff. Hopefully I have enough food to see me through til I need 40s stuff.

When I get home later today I'll start on my jewellery and see if I can stick with crafting past 20. :)

I'm not sure about the level 30 recipes quite yet; I'm out gathering for one last push into the mid-20s so I can really start making them, but at least looking at the level 10 and 20 stuff, there are some recipes that make 5-hour drink/food, and they're not that much more resource-intensive than the stuff that's only an hour or an hour and a half.

s3rial one on
    edited December 2009
    I enjoyed Vanguard's crafting system too. Actually I enjoyed a lot of things about Vanguard, shame it has a minuscule population and that the world is so massive, which only compounds the population problem.

Axen on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    I enjoyed Vanguard's crafting system too. Actually I enjoyed a lot of things about Vanguard, shame it has a minuscule population and that the world is so massive, which only compounds the population problem.

I liked the social combat aspect of Vanguard and the size of the world. That was about it.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited December 2009
    Is there a way to set my home city to gorowyn?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009

If you are Evil you should be able to just move there. It should involve a short quest I think. Unfortunetly I do not know who you talk to to start the process. www.EQ2i.com should have the answers.

Axen on
    edited December 2009

If you are Evil you should be able to just move there. It should involve a short quest I think. Unfortunetly I do not know who you talk to to start the process. www.EQ2i.com should have the answers.

So if I am good I can't?

EDIT: Also crafting apperently hates me. It keeps just giving me -50s until its in the yellow :(

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009

So if I am good I can't?

I'm not sure if you can just move there if you are Good. Gorowyn seems a little different then the other cities. Worst case scenario you have to do a Betraylal Quest, but that would change your class and probably piss off what ever your current home city is.

Edit- Ugh, this is what EQ2i says.

Earning Acceptance with Gorowyn

You cannot earn faction with Gorowyn while you are exiled. To become a citizen of Gorowyn, you must first become a citizen of Freeport or Neriak. Note that it is much easier to earn faction with Neriak than with Freeport. For this reason, good characters who seek to become Gorowyn citizens are advised to take the following steps:

1) Betray and become an Exile
    2) Earn faction with Neriak
    3) Switch your citizenship to Freeport (Uh, it says Freeport, but Neriak would make more sense. I dunno)
    4) Switch your citizenship to Gorowyn

Axen on
    edited December 2009

So if I am good I can't?

I'm not sure if you can just move there if you are Good. Gorowyn seems a little different then the other cities. Worst case scenario you have to do a Betraylal Quest, but that would change your class and probably piss off what ever your current home city is.

Edit- Ugh, this is what EQ2i says.

Earning Acceptance with Gorowyn

You cannot earn faction with Gorowyn while you are exiled. To become a citizen of Gorowyn, you must first become a citizen of Freeport or Neriak. Note that it is much easier to earn faction with Neriak than with Freeport. For this reason, good characters who seek to become Gorowyn citizens are advised to take the following steps:

1) Betray and become an Exile
    2) Earn faction with Neriak
    3) Switch your citizenship to Freeport (Uh, it says Freeport, but Neriak would make more sense. I dunno)
    4) Switch your citizenship to Gorowyn

Yeah thats way more effort than I am willing to put in right now. Guess I will have to buy a house in qeynos.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]