As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Don't post here.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    So uh, I just noticed something while jukeboxing while keeping the lyrics in Beatles.

The dark bands behind the notes/lyrics keep moving up and down.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it either..

edit: goddamnit now I'm noticing it in every song. CAN'T UNSEE

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You mean for the vocals background? I believe it's when it shifts notes past the octave or range currently displayed. If it shifts to a higher register, it goes up. Shifts lower, goes down.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JC of DI wrote: »
    You mean for the vocals background? I believe it's when it shifts notes past the octave or range currently displayed. If it shifts to a higher register, it goes up. Shifts lower, goes down.

Yeah, this was my conclusion as well.

Basically, it's just shifting the range of the upcoming notes.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    No love for the Ramones? :(

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vh0QHUA1w]My Son Is In There![/vidurl]

The song sounds familiar...

EDIT: Video shows kids blowing up their high school. How I miss those years...

I'm just glad the rest of next week's is better than just McCartney. It's been nearly two years since anything by the Ramones was released. And The Psychadelic Furs are where the mind goes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If Rock Band Japan ever comes out, it had better have some goddamn Boris and Guitar Wolf.

Shit yeah, Guitar Wolf.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, hey! I need to get an adapter cable so that I can use my Xbox headset with my Gretsch. What size do I need to get and where is the best place to find it?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Here Comes The Sun is my new favorite track to play in any game, on any instrument

It's not hard but I love the song and I love the charting and I love the dreamscape

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I could play drums on Guitar Gently Weeps forever.

Probably the only expert drums song I'll can gold star and hopefully eventually 100%.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blink-182 seems to be entering the same realm of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters if they put out a few more songs.

Also: Yay for finally getting my Lego Rock Band Export code!

Also also: I feel like I'm stuck in LRB. I have the helicopter and it keeps saying at the bottom that I need to hire the Producer and play some gigs on the skyscraper. The producer isn't in the Office, though, and I've played every gig on the skyscraper with five stars everywhere. I feel like I'm missing something.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Omeks wrote: »
    Blink-182 seems to be entering the same realm of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters if they put out a few more songs.

Also: Yay for finally getting my Lego Rock Band Export code!

Also also: I feel like I'm stuck in LRB. I have the helicopter and it keeps saying at the bottom that I need to hire the Producer and play some gigs on the skyscraper. The producer isn't in the Office, though, and I've played every gig on the skyscraper with five stars everywhere. I feel like I'm missing something.

I don't remember which gig unlocks the producer, but it's highly possible it's from an earlier venue and that you may have skipped it when it was offered to you after another gig. If so, it'll be available wherever, just look through the earlier venues for unlocked gigs.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Welcome to Bug Town. Population: You.

RB Forums wrote:
    Play "Accidentally In Love" by Counting Crows in one of the speedboat locations.

Make sure you've done that. Otherwise, you're probably screwed. I got lucky in that I unlocked the achievement for playing every gig in the game, but there is actually one gig that I can't play becuase it's perma-locked for some reason.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i could not for the life of me figure out how i'd beaten LRB and still needed a shit ton of 'entourage' to unlock the achievement for hiring everyone.

Then I read that playing SINGLE SONG SETS is what unlocks employees. I had skipped a ton of them in favor of multiple song sets, and to avoid stuff I didnt like.

I went back and played all the single song sets I had skipped and it unlocked a ton of shit.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Love My Way is the first DLC I have had any major interest in getting since arguably... wow, I'd have to say Sex On Fire. I mean, I've picked up stuff since then, but I haven't been all "OH-EM-GEE, I need that!"

Oh, and a special "what the fuck?" to Harmonix for laying off a metric fuck-ton of people earlier this month. Because of that, I have 30-something competitors looking for a job. There goes my chances of getting a QA job at 2K Boston. *sigh* Merry Christmas to me...

Fawst on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    Oh, and a special "what the fuck?" to Harmonix for laying off a metric fuck-ton of people earlier this month. Because of that, I have 30-something competitors looking for a job. There goes my chances of getting a QA job at 2K Boston. *sigh* Merry Christmas to me...

What are you talking about?

http://digg.com/search?s=harmonix+employees&sort=digg

This seems like significant news that other people would have reported on. Can you cite a source?

I mean, it's not your job to convince anybody of anything, but without a source people are going to assume you're fabricating fake news about Harmonix for nefarious purposes. If you're OK with that I'm OK with that.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That, and the fact that I was told flat out by the 2K head recruiter that things got crazy over there the past couple weeks due to the layoffs. They were suddenly inundated with applications. Shocker. Don't get me wrong, it sucks for the people that were let go, especially right before Christmas, but I've been out of work since JUNE. I really had high hopes for getting in at 2K and starting my game career (finally). Anyways, moving on...

Where's my dredg DLC, Harmonix? :D

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Welcome to Bug Town. Population: You.

RB Forums wrote:
    Play "Accidentally In Love" by Counting Crows in one of the speedboat locations.

Make sure you've done that. Otherwise, you're probably screwed. I got lucky in that I unlocked the achievement for playing every gig in the game, but there is actually one gig that I can't play becuase it's perma-locked for some reason.

Dammit. I just saw that uncompleted and thought "Maybe that's the reason. But why would Hamronix do that? It's silly, I'm not playing it."

How ironic.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now I feel silly. X__X Thanks for that.

(It just seems jaw-droppingly weird to me that Harmonix would need to shed jobs. I should've done a better job of searching but confirmation bias did me in. Among other things.)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Now I feel silly. X__X Thanks for that.

(It just seems jaw-droppingly weird to me that Harmonix would need to shed jobs. I should've done a better job of searching but confirmation bias did me in. Among other things.)

The Beatles only sold okay and Lego Rock Band sold piss-poorly

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    HMX is no different than any other game developer. They do slightly more than just Rock Band and some people really do become redundant when projects end with nothing new in the immediate future. Better they cut people and remain viable than retain staff and waste money. Shitty though it is, better they cut people they don't need than cut people they do.

EDIT:
    LRB wasn't a fully HMX deal, though.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "Icky Thump" is way easy...certainly doesn't seem like a devil-rated song

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some notes on peripherals: the Gretsch guitar is way cool. Almost makes up for the Rock Band 2 peripherals not being available in Europe.

On the other hand, it sucks that the connection on the PS3 Madcatz Fender Bass is so patchy. Sometimes it works without any problems, and sometimes it fritzes out after five minutes, making playing impossible. And shipping it to Madcatz for support is pretty pricey.

Now, if only I found a good reason (as in "a reason my girlfriend will buy") to swap my Rock Band drumkit for a RB2 or Beatles kit...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm starting to get frustrated with my wireless Strat. The green and yellow buttons won't stop dropping notes. Used to be they would only drop chords but now they'll occasionally drop single notes, particularly if there's a section of long strumming. And I know it's not me just getting out of time because I can go from perfectly hitting a line of red strums and then dropping a note or two when it changes to green.

I'm contemplating buying a new guitar, but I wanted to wait to buy a new guitar (and new Special Edition with drum kit for that matter) when Rock Band 3 comes out. I figure they'll probably do some major upgrades to the drums and guitar.

Out of curiosity, though, how is the Rickenbacker? I'm not sure if I want to spend $100 on one, but has it been known to have any problems?

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm starting to get frustrated with my wireless Strat. The green and yellow buttons won't stop dropping notes. Used to be they would only drop chords but now they'll occasionally drop single notes, particularly if there's a section of long strumming. And I know it's not me just getting out of time because I can go from perfectly hitting a line of red strums and then dropping a note or two when it changes to green.

I'm contemplating buying a new guitar, but I wanted to wait to buy a new guitar (and new Special Edition with drum kit for that matter) when Rock Band 3 comes out. I figure they'll probably do some major upgrades to the drums and guitar.

Out of curiosity, though, how is the Rickenbacker? I'm not sure if I want to spend $100 on one, but has it been known to have any problems?

I can't comment on the RIC model, but B:RB equipment is considered to be Top Of The Line. The only complaint I have about the Gretsch (that may or may not be an inherent complaint in RB gear anyway), is that it seems to introduce a signal lag that the GH3 LP didn't seem to have. After messing around with it, I just made minor alterations to the auto-calibration figures to be more in line with what felt right.

But what I wanted to mention was that HMX has made some rumblings about getting out of the hardware game. If anything, the production of the equipment is what's taking a sizable chunk out of their profits. They haven't said one way or another yet, but if RB3 releases with a full bundle, I'd expect it to be the last. But I wouldn't be surprised if it released as software only.

They likely overproduced RB1 gear which is why they had the 'cheap' copies of the B:RB full bundle.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, I went ahead and went to to buy the Rickenbacker. Wasn't sure which I wanted but Wal-mart only had the Rickenbacker in stock so I went with it. I like the look of it better than the Gretsch anyhow.

Pros:
    +The fret button feel real nice. Nice and quiet and almost cushiony.
    +Nice solid body. Much wider than the normal Strat body.
    +Nice design, looks slick and feels much more sturdy than previous Rock Band guitars.
    +Most of the buttons, switches and do-dads feel much more solid than the last Strat.

Cons:
    -It is a pain to activate Overdrive. Kind of unresponsive when I raise the neck. I might need to switch to using the select button.
    -Compared to previous guitars, the Rickenbacker has a very sharp 90 degree angle at the body sides. Given my arm position, it can kind of start to get uncomfortable after a while of playing.
    -The start button takes a second to actually pause.

Overall I'm happy, but the thing with the arm kind of bugs me. I might need to find a way to put some kind of cushion on the edge of the body where my strumming arm usually goes.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    God damn, I think a one man voxdrum FC of Guitar Gently Weeps would be possible for me if if wasn't for George's damn "ohhh ohhh ohh" at the end.

but i need to get a drums 100% in the first place.

edit FUCK I MISSED ONE NOTE IN THE LAST 10 NOTES

goddamnit that was the only run where i hit all the tricky parts during the same run and fuck up in the easy stuff at the end

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Overall I'm happy, but the thing with the arm kind of bugs me. I might need to find a way to put some kind of cushion on the edge of the body where my strumming arm usually goes.

You may find some tips on modding the thing here.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm curious.. if you doing vocals+guitar.. how do you manage to do the tamborine stuff?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well, in rock band 1/2, the tambourine hits don't count against you, they are pretty much bonus score.

Beatles Rock Band has no vocals percussion.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, you make puffing noises into the mic when you're not too busy and otherwise just ignore them; they are 100% optional.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    B:RB has way too many "100% these songs" achievements. A few would be fine, and gold star achievements would be better. The problem is that, for me, 99% is no problem on a lot of them, but I always miss a note in there somewhere.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So...get better?

They're Achievements for a reason

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's a couple of them that I probably won't ever get.

I'm okay with that.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of Beatles and Rock Band, was watching a bit of VH1 last night at work and they were really pushing the Paul McCartney pack for next week. An ad roughly every commercial break and the little pop-up in the lower right corner fairly frequently.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Beatles achieves kind feel like Harmonix started taking some cues from Pi Studios on achievements, because there's been some straight from the track packs (especially the freaking HOPO-required ones)

I think the only achieve I will never get (besides the ones i don't have the hardware for) is the 100% Helter Skelter on Drums one. I think I can do The End solo with enough practice.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So...get better?

They're Achievements for a reason

But see, there's a difference between having a few achievements like that, and having to 100% two thirds of the songs in the fucking game. When I think games where super difficult achievements make sense, B:RB isn't one of them.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was actually kind of surprised that Beatles Rock Band didn't have an Endless Setlist type challenge

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I was actually kind of surprised that Beatles Rock Band didn't have an Endless Setlist type challenge

Do all of story mode in a day is an achievement. That's close enough.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit I forgot about that one.

I guess that would count as the Endless Setlist equivalent.

(I got it within the first 24 hours of owning the game. Didn't even know it existed until it popped up)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Do all of story mode in a day is an achievement. That's close enough.
    Until the game doesn't give you the achievement for it. >:[

YardGnome on