As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion, and Tutorials

• SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're stuff is highly impressive man, but to work for White Wolf, Fantasy flight etc, I image you'd need a pretty solid portfolio of finished work to accompany your studies as well as experience. This shouldn't discourage you from trying though, the worst they'll say is "no." It's not stupid to try for small jobs without a finished portfolio, but it will limit your chances a bit. Generally the more finished, polished work you have to showcase, the better. If you want work, look for it, show what you have and in the mean time focus more on finished pieces than studies and sketches.

Honestly if I can bumble my way into illustration jobs, I'm sure you can too. They just may not be the caliber you're looking for at first. Take the small jobs, get some experience under your belt and network like a motherfucker. Eventually you'll have enough resume entries and related portfolio pieces that the bigger fish you're looking for will snatch you right up. You'll get where you want to be eventually if you're willing to put the work in.

Sonic on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As someone who feels their business skills far outweight their artisitc ability, this is my kinda topic.

Freelancing answers:

Look at your work and understand how it fits in with a commercial market. i.e., who is going to pay you money to do what you are already doing.

If it's RPG companies you want to do work for, then start doing that type of work NOW -- it is highly advisable to get together a portfolio which displays finished work and which shows an understanding of the client/illustrator relationship and the creative/commercial process.

The type of clients you want will not employ you because you look like you could do the type of work; they will employ you because you are showing you already are doing the type of work they want.

My advice would be to set yourself a few fake briefs, where you set yourself a deadline for a series of character designs (or whatever), then choose one to refine and produce as a finished piece. Keep careful track of how long your work typically takes you -- this allows you to work out what you should be charging for your time and allows you to effectively cost projects. You might not be having to do this straight away but the sooner you start thinking commercially, the better off you'll be in the long run.

There are lots of books/site on the business side of illustration & design -- it often surprises me how often people will recommend books on how to draw but will completely neglect books on how to make a living from drawing.

Do your research and start to get an understanding of what is involved:

Project costing, work agreements, deadline management, rights management, purchase orders, invoicing, etc. etc. None of this is difficult stuff, you just need to read up on it.

In my experience, you don't even have to be very good at art to start making money from it. And like in all things, you'll improve as you gain experience.

edit: one other thing -- some people just aren't business people, they have neither the interest nor the aptitude for that side of things. They can draw excellently but ideally need someone there to tell them what to produce and to manage their time effectively. If you give freelancing a go, and realise it's not for you don't be disheartened! You can always try to get yourself represented by an agency and do work that way, or just obviously work hard on a portfolio and get employed by a studio.

Grenn on
  • ROFLpottamusROFLpottamus Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Well, like an idiot I posted this in the main forum and not in this thread because I cannot read instructions, so let's try this again!

Hey everyone. This is my first (actually second) post here, but I have been a fan of the site for quite awhile and thought that this would be the best place for some input.

I want to get a tattoo on my arm which encompasses my love for video games. It will be a half-sleeve from my shoulder to my elbow and I have been looking for ideas for years now. I have been bouncing back and forth from using an original design (like I am 8-bit) or actual sprites from the game in a sort of collage. I already have the 1up mushroom on my left inner bicep and the poison mushroom on my right so I already know what I am getting mysefl into. I am looking for ideas of what to do and am hoping to find some artists with the same passion for the subject matter as me. Of course I am willing to pay for such design and would have no objection to being a walking billboard for you as well! Any ideas you guys have would be great!

ROFLpottamus on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can I just pipe in and say that sleeve tats look fucking gross.

I'd help you out but I'm not confident enough to commit myself to someones skin on a permanent basis. The idea freaks me out a little.

Mustang on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As someone who worked in a tattoo studio for a little while, here's my stock reply to people wanting tattoos designed:

Do your research and find a good tattooist and have them design and tattoo it for you. The experience will be far better for all involved.

Grenn on
  • ThePacerThePacer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can anyone explain to me why my tablet is doing this?

Untitled-1.jpg

Also, is there anyway for me to fix it myself? If not, is there somewhere I can send it for repairs or am I basicley SOL?

Edit:

That was done with a straight edge, BTW...

ThePacer on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What kind of tablet is it? Do you maybe have stylus tilt controlling something? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers and restarting your system?

Delzhand on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I believe I asked this in the previous questions thread but I can't find the post

I'm wondering what are some good artist's brushes for inking. I'm using Sakura brush pens but they deteriorate fairly quickly, so I'm looking for something with a resilient tip of comparable size that will last longer.

Fugitive on
    edited December 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    What kind of tablet is it? Do you maybe have stylus tilt controlling something? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers and restarting your system?

It's an adesso, and I don't believe I have stylus tilit controll, well, not that I could see, anyways. And yea, I did try to reinstall the drivers, to no avail :x

ThePacer on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it new or did it just start doing this spontaneously?

Obligatory "there is a reason why wacom has a stranglehold on the tablet market" chide

Just to be sure, you say you're tracing a straight edge, so you mean you're tracing a circular object right? What about a straight line?

Scosglen on
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Have anyone of you guys have experience with oil painting on bristol? I'd like to do a small size painting but with much details. Is there any other kind of smooth surfaced boards that you would recommend?

no_toast on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Masonite board. Or, instead of going with bristol, get some kind of heavy art paper and gesso it, which seals it against the fluids you're spattering recklessly across its surface.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Orik! I think Masonite is called something else in Europe but I'll try to figure out similar products from the hardware store.

Also, do you happen to know what exactly is illustration board that for example Dave Palumbo seems to use a lot with oils?

no_toast on
    edited December 2009
    i've never used it myself, but at a guess it'd be something like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/strathmore-500-series-cold-press-illustration-board/

paper designed to facilitate gouache or watercolour blending without excess absorption and tearing

Orikaeshigitae on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Awhile back somebody posted three basic elements of a good comic and how you need at least two to make something decent. I think two of them were something like cutness and comedy? I can't really recall. If somebody remembers what they are or where I can find them I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

nakirush on
    edited December 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »

Obligatory "there is a reason why wacom has a stranglehold on the tablet market" chide

Just to be sure, you say you're tracing a straight edge, so you mean you're tracing a circular object right? What about a straight line?

Well, the Tablet isn't new, I got it last year for christmas, but I decided that I would start using it recently, and it did this...

I'm pretty sure it does this when I use a ruller or the like too, but I can try using one if you'd like?

And yea, I know about the wacom thing, it's just that I don't exactly ghave the money for one, so I figured I would get something cheaper, as it was really all my parents could afford... :oops:

ThePacer on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I'm looking for a really good guide to perspective -- all kinds. I checked out the CS2 brushes in the OP and that link seems broken. I also looked at the book - I'll consider purchasing it if I can't find a really good perspective guide online.

So .. any links you have would be greatly appreciated.

THX.

mully on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can anyone point me to a good starter set of mechanical pencils? I'm reading through the drawspace tutorials and it suggests that i should try a range of hardnesses and sizes. Or would it be cheaper to hunt down individual pencils? I think mechanical would be a good way for me to go since i think repeated sharpening would drive me insane.

Oh and um.. cheaper i guess, since i'd hate to jump into this throwing a lot of money into something that i may not be able to use properly for the next few years.

bebarce on
    edited December 2009
    PS, I found this http://cedrichohnstadt.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/schoolismcom-character-design-assignments/ and it's basically a dude detailing what he did in Mr. Silver's character design classes.

Pretty interesting and probably some good exercises for those doing the resolution challenge.

mully on
    edited December 2009
    ThePacer wrote: »

Well, the Tablet isn't new, I got it last year for christmas, but I decided that I would start using it recently, and it did this...

I'm pretty sure it does this when I use a ruller or the like too, but I can try using one if you'd like?

And yea, I know about the wacom thing, it's just that I don't exactly ghave the money for one, so I figured I would get something cheaper, as it was really all my parents could afford... :oops:

Checked to make sure the drivers are installed correctly for it?

Scosglen on
    edited December 2009
    mully wrote: »
    PS, I found this http://cedrichohnstadt.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/schoolismcom-character-design-assignments/ and it's basically a dude detailing what he did in Mr. Silver's character design classes.

Pretty interesting and probably some good exercises for those doing the resolution challenge.

thanks for this! this is fantastic

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited December 2009
    mully wrote: »

thanks for this! this is fantastic

unfortunately, the same dude also made this
    http://www.cedricstudio.com/livingwaters/tract/final/p1.html
    regardless, i still love the crap out of his drawings

mully on
    edited December 2009
    well, it's not as though he did it for free

i've done some heinous heinous things for clients

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well, it's not as though he did it for free

i've done some heinous heinous things for clients

This should be our new thread.

MagicToaster on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'm getting some mighty strange aliasing around black text and shapes in illustrator
    anyone know what could be causing this?

screen:

pixelation.jpg

beavotron on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    I've had similar things happen when I'm not working with a "full" black. The default black in Illustrator is C=0/M=0/Y=0/K=100 but if you turn all of the CMY settings up to 100 as well, it makes a more saturated black in print and doesn't give that weird halo in the previews.

DMAC on
    edited December 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »
    I believe I asked this in the previous questions thread but I can't find the post

I'm wondering what are some good artist's brushes for inking. I'm using Sakura brush pens but they deteriorate fairly quickly, so I'm looking for something with a resilient tip of comparable size that will last longer.

I use the Faber-Castell PITT brush pens. I find the tips hold together better than the Sakura version. They also come in different colors.

brushpens.jpg

DMAC on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This may be a dumb question maybe not. Tried a search but didn't come up with anything.

For those of you who draw war, sci-fi or medieval characters/scenes/etc.? Are there any good reference books for armor and weaponry? I've found it very hard to find a book that contains a great deal of info especially concerning medieval armor.

Guns and Swords I've had more luck with. But armor is a tough one to find a big book of.

Egos on
    edited December 2009
    I often refer to my copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Compendium-Weapons-Armour-Castles/dp/091621138X

I'm sure it's out of print but you can probably track down a copy through eBay or private sellers on Amazon. It's actually intended as an RPG supplement but it's basically just a bunch of illustrations of weapons and armor from different eras and cultures.

Looks like the armor/weapons sections have been reprinted as a separate book too.

Here's part of a page from the book:

armor_sample.jpg

There's a modern armor/weapons version out there too.

DMAC on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Short of writing a program to display dots on the screen, is there a good way to do two and three point perspective in PS with the focal points off the canvas? I'm using PS elements 6, so it might not have whatever is needed.

MKR on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Short of writing a program to display dots on the screen, is there a good way to do two and three point perspective in PS with the focal points off the canvas? I'm using PS elements 6, so it might not have whatever is needed.

What I do- there might be some other fancy shit in the newer CSes, but if I need anything fancier than this I'd probably just work out my perspective in a 3d program instead:

1. Download this.
    2. Open it up in PS, drag the layer onto the piece you're working on. This gives you a vanishing point you can just drag around wherever. If you drag it off-screen and the lines don't reach far enough, just scale it up. If you need more lines, duplicate and rotate the layer by a few degrees.
    3. Once you have one VP in the right spot, just duplicate the layer and drag it around to plop in your others in the same way.
    4. For the sake of keeping the memory usage/file size low, once I've got everything in the right place I'll usually merge all these perspective layers together, then select the whole canvas, do a cut and paste, and delete the original merged layer. This trims off the bits that would otherwise be off-screen, so PS doesn't have to worry about all that extra data anymore.
    5. Viola, an accurate perspective grid on a layer you can turn on and off.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »

What I do- there might be some other fancy shit in the newer CSes, but if I need anything fancier than this I'd probably just work out my perspective in a 3d program instead:

1. Download this.
    2. Open it up in PS, drag the layer onto the piece you're working on. This gives you a vanishing point you can just drag around wherever. If you drag it off-screen and the lines don't reach far enough, just scale it up. If you need more lines, duplicate and rotate the layer by a few degrees.
    3. Once you have one VP in the right spot, just duplicate the layer and drag it around to plop in your others in the same way.
    4. For the sake of keeping the memory usage/file size low, once I've got everything in the right place I'll usually merge all these perspective layers together, then select the whole canvas, do a cut and paste, and delete the original merged layer. This trims off the bits that would otherwise be off-screen, so PS doesn't have to worry about all that extra data anymore.
    5. Viola, an accurate perspective grid on a layer you can turn on and off.

That's neat. And thanks.

I'll probably use blender if it gets out of hand.

MKR on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hi everyone. I'm trying to not suck at drawing anymore so I'm going to draw one picture a day. I remember reading a website/blog/forum post/something where a guy who wasn't all that good at the beginning eventually progressed into a good artist by drawing every day. I remember it being pretty inspirational. Does anyone have a link to what I'm talking about?

Taya on
    edited January 2010
    He doesn't post in the thread every day, but for sure he probably was working every day.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Scosglen on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He doesn't post in the thread every day, but for sure he probably was working every day.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Thank you. It looks like I'm roughly at his page 1 skill level. This will give me some encouragement when I feel like I'll never improve.

Taya on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When starting out, with regards to paper texture should I be working with a fine, medium, or rough tooth? Also does anyone know where those old PA lessons scampered off to?

bebarce on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Use whatever paper you feel comfortable with. But get a kneaded eraser, that way you won't pull too much of the surface off if you go for a rougher texture.

tynic on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    I often refer to my copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Compendium-Weapons-Armour-Castles/dp/091621138X

I'm sure it's out of print but you can probably track down a copy through eBay or private sellers on Amazon. It's actually intended as an RPG supplement but it's basically just a bunch of illustrations of weapons and armor from different eras and cultures.

Looks like the armor/weapons sections have been reprinted as a separate book too.

Thanks a ton, looks like a god send. Sadly in the past all I could were books that just had old plates of 13th Century Germanic plate or Eyewitness books that just had a basic "this is a sallet" etc.
    :mrgreen:

Egos on
  • ScrumYummyScrumYummy PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    my figures are too stiff
    Okay, so, I am comfortable with my knowledge of anatomy, but I have this problem where a lot of my figure drawings look stiff. The anatomy is realistic and believable, but the figures/characters look too posed. I guess what I am looking for is advice on figure drawing that is more natural. So I was wondering if anybody had advice, links to tutorials, or book titles that I can check out, that deal with overcoming stiff illustrations, specifically.

Please and thank you!

ScrumYummy on
    -Scrum
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    ScrumYummy wrote: »
    my figures are too stiff
    Okay, so, I am comfortable with my knowledge of anatomy, but I have this problem where a lot of my figure drawings look stiff. The anatomy is realistic and believable, but the figures/characters look too posed. I guess what I am looking for is advice on figure drawing that is more natural. So I was wondering if anybody had advice, links to tutorials, or book titles that I can check out, that deal with overcoming stiff illustrations, specifically.

Please and thank you!

Force

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.