As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Game Podcasts] - New 'Out of the Game' is actually.. out?

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Interesting. I'd personally switch the two for what you've said. IT was still funny, but it got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too self-referential.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I found the Jeff Goldgame stuff far funnier than I should have.

-SPI- on
    edited December 2009
    The final episode has some cut content. It's literally 25 minutes of them putting variations on the name Goldblum. It is insane.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    damn, thanks OP. Just recently started checking some of these podcasts out to listen while I'm busy working. Really helps me tune out outside noise and focus on my current stuff. been liking the Gamers with Jobs one so far, pretty even keeled and fair as far as game review

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do we have any idea if Garnett Lee is doing a podcast? Yes, he is insufferable but the man knows how to run a podcast. I had to unsubscribe to 4 Guys 1 Up this week because they show is a hot mess.

Spicy_Rev on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm also going to pimp my favorite podcast, Radio Free Nintendo. Not many people seem to know about it but it's damn good. Their game music trivia podcast, Radio Trivia Podcast Edition, is also great. Give em a try.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is this in the wrong thread?

UnbreakableVow on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is this in the wrong thread?

Yes, yes it was. Deleted.

Also, blast! For I hoped I had caught it before anyone noticed.

Tamin on
    edited December 2009
    Bombcast is up!

Gather 'round the ole Bombcast for tales of pagan Christmas tree rituals, suicide eff bombers, enemy trains, Le Saboteur, dice rolls in Star Wars: The Old Republic, Medal of Honor's modern warfare, the most common achievement names, and so much more!

Skip the first 8 minutes because they don't talk about video games.

Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    Do we have any idea if Garnett Lee is doing a podcast? Yes, he is insufferable but the man knows how to run a podcast. I had to unsubscribe to 4 Guys 1 Up this week because they show is a hot mess.

As the big man at Shacknews.com now, Lee said he's interested in getting a Shackcast of some sort going.

OmnomnomPancake on
    edited December 2009
    Giantbomb.com is doing GOTY podcasts each day.

Here's the first one for the 27th. Each short podcast explains the justification behind that day's reveal of awards, culminating in the 4-hour special for the big time awards.

Last year's podcast was 2 and a half hour debate over MGS4 and GTAIV. This year will be a grand adventure.

Other than that, most podcasts are out of commission for this week. New years to bring more casts.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really dug G4TV's Feedback for this past week. It was a look back on the decade of gaming.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bombcast is definitely the best, although their constant chatter about the latest Guitar Hero/Rock Band/DJ Surprise/whatever-the-hell-else-music-crap does make me hate those fucking awful games even more than I did the last time they were mentioned.

Rant aside, all four hosts on the Bombcast are witty and interesting, I appreciate the length (as podcasts are what get me through long data entry filled work days) and their website/iPhone app are top notch sources of entertainment. Those guys can't make enough Quick Looks.

Aside from Bombcast, The Drunk Tank by the Rooster Teetch gang is great. They talk about everything, so it's not solely video game related, and their association with Microsoft obviously influences them. They also have some horrible soulless obsession with achievements, glibly tossing aside games and gamers that don't care about them. Funny content and a regular schedule keep me listening though.

I wish Gabe and Tycho would make more, but I guess they have their show now, which means I have to focus on that at home instead of being able to listen to them on the go.

Ceno on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MyNameIsWalrus on
    edited January 2010

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

You just killed my evening!

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2010
    BTW, anyone know what state Brad Shoemaker is from? I'm trying to place the accent.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BTW, anyone know what state Brad Shoemaker is from? I'm trying to place the accent.

North Carolina.

MyNameIsWalrus on
    edited January 2010

Planet Sexy

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2010
    Well there's that, sure. I'm not secure enough in my masculinity!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brad's '09 list was probably the best of the Giant Bomb crew.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    edited January 2010
    I thought Jeff's was the most solid. The only two games on his I didn't like were UFC 2009 Undisputed and Forza 3, and I only don't like them because, well, I haven't played them.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2010
    Jeff's ordering was a little peculiar to me. I think Brad's was just more suited to my tastes. Also, it's Brad, I could listen to him recite his list all day long.

One thing that saddens me was how Giant Bomb completely glossed over Demon's Souls. It was almost insulting how they placed it in "weirdest game" category. The only one of them that kind of seemed to understand it was Vinny. Que sera sera.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it was a runner-up for Most Divisive, but ultimately lost to Flower (which I was happy about, means someone out there agrees with me).

UnbreakableVow on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Jeff's ordering was a little peculiar to me. I think Brad's was just more suited to my tastes. Also, it's Brad, I could listen to him recite his list all day long.

One thing that saddens me was how Giant Bomb completely glossed over Demon's Souls. It was almost insulting how they placed it in "weirdest game" category. The only one of them that kind of seemed to understand it was Vinny. Que sera sera.

Yeah, they didn't even review it. Hopefully they'll give it another look, since it won so many awards.

C'est la vie.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Brad's '09 list was probably the best of the Giant Bomb crew.

I didn't completely agree with any of them but yeah, Brad's was probably the one I agreed with most. Just kick Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Modern Warfare 2 out of there and replace them with Assassin's Creed 2 and Dragon Age and I'd be happy enough with it.

Jeff picking MW2 as his GOTY means his list is instantly the worst.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think both Jeff and Ryan gave Demon's Souls a shot, but quickly decided it wasn't for them. A shame, since it only gets better the further you go. I think Vinny is the only one still interested in it (he said he was going to play it over the break, but we'll see). I mean, fine, whatever, you can't persuade everyone to like Demon's Souls. I do think it'd make great endurance run material, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited January 2010
    I'm watching their Demon's Souls quick look right now, and yeah...you can almost hear them being incredibly turned off by the game while watching someone else play.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-demons-souls/17-1485/

edit: To be honest, it has turned me off as well.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    I gotta say, I thought their GotYs were really fair and refreshing. I loved the joke awards, and the multiplatform/exclusive dynamic created much greater variety, unlike fucking Gametrailers, who made MW2 the winner of all categories. Ugh.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited January 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I gotta say, I thought their GotYs were really fair and refreshing. I loved the joke awards, and the multiplatform/exclusive dynamic created much greater variety, unlike fucking Gametrailers, who made MW2 the winner of all categories. Ugh.

What?!

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    Ayup, it won for 360, PS3, PC and overall GotY. I've never heard to word "polished" used so many times about one game. I mean, what's the point of even having multiplatform categories in the first place?

Cherrn on
    edited January 2010
    Gametrailers is involved in a big way with the VGAs. That says everything we need to know, really.

The end deliberation over the GOTY was great; can't believe it got more intense than the MGS4/GTAIV firefight they had going last year.

OmnomnomPancake on
    edited January 2010
    Even the VGAs didn't give best PS3 game to MW2.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    Gametrailers is involved in a big way with the VGAs. That says everything we need to know, really.

The end deliberation over the GOTY was great; can't believe it got more intense than the MGS4/GTAIV firefight they had going last year.

Yeah, I just finished the podcast while driving tonight, and the Batman/Uncharted debate was an absolute delight

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2010
    New to the BombCast, but do they mention their voting guidelines? Is it democracy or something?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    Their voting guideline is what you hear in the podcast: 4 dudes discuss which game they think should win in a category, and which 2 were real close, but ultimately runners-up.

To get more specific, they discussed off-air a much larger list of games, then narrowed it down into a podcast-healthy list of 5-10 titles. It's at this point they start recording, and just shoot the shit on what they liked the most in each category. They cross shit off, get to about 4 titles left, and just debate the fuck out of it. Spending 20 minutes arguing over Rabbids Go Home or NSMB Wii as a Wii runner-up, for instance.

I enjoy it incredibly. The Gametrailers' forums are up in a literal revolt over MW2 taking every award (not just PS3, but a lolPC over Dragon Age), and it's partially a frustration at the anonymity of Gametrailers in general. Spectrum shift with Giantbomb, because you are getting a refreshing transparency into the game award deliberations.

OmnomnomPancake on
    edited January 2010
    I didn't realize just how lacking in good exclusives the 360 was this year until that podcast

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2010
    Their voting guideline is what you hear in the podcast: 4 dudes discuss which game they think should win in a category, and which 2 were real close, but ultimately runners-up.

To get more specific, they discussed off-air a much larger list of games, then narrowed it down into a podcast-healthy list of 5-10 titles. It's at this point they start recording, and just shoot the shit on what they liked the most for everything.

I enjoy it incredibly. The Gametrailers' forums are up in a literal revolt over MW2 taking every award (not just PS3, but a lolPC over Dragon Age), and it's partially a frustration at the anonymity of Gametrailers.

Spectrum shift with Giantbomb, because you are getting as transparent as it's going get with game award decisions, and that's hella refreshing

I wonder if there has ever been a game that one person hated and thought deserved a 1 and another person loved and thought it deserved a 5. I guess each review is just done by the one person, and they speak for Giant Bomb as a whole in their review).

I'm just saying, when there's no rigidity to their GOTY choices, how do they decide? In a year where say, there are less obvious choices.

Also yeah, the fact that Shadow Complex and Halo ODST are winning all these Xbox awards goes to show that there wasn't as much Xbox exclusive asskickery this year. Maybe we just caught them in an off year? I expect more Halo and Gears in the upcoming years so they should be okay.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, there was one gaming rag that had a review system where the "shooter" guy would review shooter games and there was like a legend in the back as to where each reviewer fell in terms of genre fandom. It sort of made sense because you would never give a FPS game to a person who hates FPSes and expect a decent review.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010

To get more specific, they discussed off-air a much larger list of games, then narrowed it down into a podcast-healthy list of 5-10 titles. It's at this point they start recording, and just shoot the shit on what they liked the most for everything.

I enjoy it incredibly. The Gametrailers' forums are up in a literal revolt over MW2 taking every award (not just PS3, but a lolPC over Dragon Age), and it's partially a frustration at the anonymity of Gametrailers.

Spectrum shift with Giantbomb, because you are getting as transparent as it's going get with game award decisions, and that's hella refreshing

I wonder if there has ever been a game that one person hated and thought deserved a 1 and another person loved and thought it deserved a 5. I guess each review is just done by the one person, and they speak for Giant Bomb as a whole in their review).

I'm just saying, when there's no rigidity to their GOTY choices, how do they decide? In a year where say, there are less obvious choices.

Also yeah, the fact that Shadow Complex and Halo ODST are winning all these Xbox awards goes to show that there wasn't as much Xbox exclusive asskickery this year. Maybe we just caught them in an off year? I expect more Halo and Gears in the upcoming years so they should be okay.

They discuss that on the e-mail podcast, actually. It's down to the person reviewing. If they disagree, well, they disagree, but who ever's reviewing it gets to choose the score.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010
    And how do they do that? Names out of a hat?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010

Well, they take into account who likes what genres and whatnot. It's only 5 guys, so they don't get to every game.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010

This question, and your thing on rigidity are weird. Go listen to the actual GOTY podcast, then come back.

Digress.

Larger sites have a Reviews Editor to dole out games. Giantbomb is small, so it's generally a 'hey, this game looks cool, I'd like to play it'.

Behemoth wrote: »

Well, they take into account who likes what genres and whatnot. It's only 5 guys, so they don't get to every game.

Brad, Jeff, and Ryan are the main reviewers. Vinny will take games when the load is large, or he shows an interest (Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time); the same goes for Drew (Dirt 2).

Then Dave's on hand for very fucking PC games, such as DoWII, Dragon Age, and talking mad shit about Russian PC games (RE: Cryostasis)

OmnomnomPancake on