As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Resolutions 2010 NSFW]

beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Artist's Corner
Note to Participants: if you are keeping a blog where you are posting all of your own work from this, link it, I will add it to the goals section

Okay so... like every year, this year my main resolution is to draw a whole lot more
But I always end up breaking it, and I feel it's because I'm not getting motivated enough.
You guys are pretty good motivation though...

So I propose a challenge, AC.
I propose a drawing a day till January 1st 2011.
This challenge starts on January 1st 2010.

When I say a drawing a day...it could be anything... a doodle on a napkin, a full blown illustration.
it can't be one giant drawing that takes you two weeks
it is as it sounds... a drawing a day.

Rules
  • You are to submit one drawing per each day this year. It can be as big or as small as you want, in any medium, any style. For photographers, one picture. It must not be something you already made. It shouldn't be something you did for school or work, it should be a drawing you made to help you reach the goals you set out to reach in this thread. (but if it doesn't pertain specifically to one of your goals, it still counts.)
  • Do not submit your drawings each day. Saturday is the last day of the week, Make a post and dump all 7 drawings from that week into a post. Don't spoiler it.
  • for the sake of sanity while loading this thread, keep the file size as small as you can. you're not painting the sistine chapel here. it doesn't have to be enormous.
  • Because we're dumping on Saturday, if you really want to, draw all 7 on Saturday morning, no one will know... I mean at least you're drawing... but you'll die knowing you're a dirty cheater (hahah)
  • Tam has to fully color at least one of the 365 drawings he makes.

Yay! How do I join!?!

Signups are finished, if you want to join in, feel free, people who start now will be added to a "late joiners" list.

What happens if I slack off and don't do my drawings?

Well... I mean, you're only hurting yourself. I understand that things come up, people have busy lives. This is a thread that's intended for people who are really serious about this though. So maybe you miss a few drawings, who cares... but I bet you'll feel pretty awesome if you make it to January 2011 and you have 365 drawings (or photos or paintings or whatever) to show for it. They'll be all neatly added to this thread too, it'll be awesome.

They can be 20 second gesture drawings... think small here... I'm not asking for fully rendered drawings, though it won't hurt you to toss some of those into the mix every now and again.
You will be subjected to the constant nagging of people in this forum though.
I endorse any and all nagging of people who are supposed to be drawing every day who aren't.
All in the name of improvement ;)

I am going to try as best I can, schedule permitting to keep track of who has done their 7 drawings per week.
Anyone who wants to help me with this is a gem. It will consist of a simple tally of who has done their drawings, and will be posted at the end of each month. That will help others keep easy track of who is being a total slacker.

What About Crits?

I'd like to try to keep this thread as small as possible. I know that we'll bleed into another thread probably if people keep at it, and the more people comment, the bigger the thread will grow, but it'll be really nice for people to be able to easily look at their progress through the months, and mass amounts of text posts make that difficult.
I'll probably pare down unnecessary posts as the months progress.
For crits, if an artist wants crits on a drawing in particular, they should post it in the doodle thread or their own thread. I don't want lengthy discussions in here, it takes up space.
Crits are very important to improving... but so is actually getting off your ass and drawing. This thread is the getting off the ass part.

I Don't Know What to Draw!
Here are some assignments for people who are stumped:

Observational Drawing:

1. Put together a still life and draw it from 3 different vantage points.

2. Take a striped piece of cloth, arrange it however you want and draw it, paying attention to how the stripes move with the folds along the cloth

3. Take a complex object, like a bicycle, in your mind frame off just a section and draw that section, paying attention to composition.

4. Go to the local museum and do some drawings of various skulls and bones

5. Go to your local park or cafe and do gestural drawings of people

6. Find a local life drawing meet up or course and sign up

7. Do some gestural drawings from http://www.posemaniacs.com

8. Cut a cabbage or other vegetable in half and draw what you see. pay attention to line variation

9. Draw only the negative space of a tree or chair (or both)

10. Take a trip to the zoo, draw some animals

11. Take a trip to the library, dig through some art books, or scour the internet to find some work that inspires you and try to mimic it. Pay attention to what makes it good.

Character Design:

(taken from "Prepare to Board" by Nancy Beiman)

1. Take a human character and transform it into an animal, showing one step in between

2. Make 4 numbered lists, in the first list put 20 different species (animals, human being, aliens..whatever) in the second, genders (male, female), third time periods (1400s, jurassic period) fourth age groups (infant, toddler, tween, teen, adult, elderly) Now using a random number generator (lots on the internet) pick random numbers from each list so that you're left with a species, gender, time period and age.
so for example, for one of mine i got kangaroo, male, roman period, teen. Now draw that character.

3. Create a pair of characters that contrast large and small

4. Draw characters that illustrate a single line from a nursery rhyme

Environmental Design

1. go to http://wikitravel.org and click "random page" you'll get a random place. Do some research and come up with some sketches based on this place.

2. To add another dynamic to the above task, do a series of lists, one with time period, another with colors. use a random number generator, and from these lists, get a time period and a main color that you have to incorporate into the enviro
for example: Belize, 1400s, blue

3. Do another random list thing, this time, make a list of places (open space, mars, under the sea, antarctica), type of environment: (landscape, castle, room interior, bathroom etc) time period: (jurassic, 1980s etc)
so for example, I did one and got: open space, bathroom, 1980s. So you gotta draw a bathroom floating around in open space with 1980's stylings haha.

beavotron on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Progress
    symbols appear next to people's names in the participants list. here is a key of what they mean.

:^: = finished their week's worth of drawings.

:mrgreen: = finished a month's worth of drawings (at the end of a month, if you got all your weeks done, they turn into this)

:( = participant dropped out

Agent Coleman :^::^::^:
    Asamof the Horrible :mrgreen::^:
    Beavotron :mrgreen::^::^::^:
    Bebarce:^::^:
    Bombardier :^:
    Buckwolfe :^::^::^:
    Campion :mrgreen:
    Crowleston :^::^::^:
    Deelock :mrgreen:
    erisian pope :mrgreen::mrgreen::^:
    Faded_Sneakers:(
    Flay :mrgreen::mrgreen::^:
    Frank (f87) :mrgreen::mrgreen::^:
    glipher :mrgreen::mrgreen::^::^:
    Godfather :^:
    Iruka :mrgreen::^::^::^:
    Jpeg:(
    L.E.O.:(
    Lyrium :mrgreen::mrgreen::^:
    Man-oven Super-rock :^:
    McGibs :(
    melting_doll :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    misosoup:(
    Moorkus :^::^::^:
    Mully :^::^::^:
    Mustang :^::^::^:
    NakedZergling :mrgreen::^::^::^:
    Nappuccino :mrgreen::^::^::^:
    Natri :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    NibCrom :mrgreen::mrgreen::^::^:
    Nic :mrgreen::^:
    no_toast :^::^::^::^:
    Orikae :^::^::^:
    PierceNeck :^::^::^::^:
    Projeck:^:
    Prospicience :^:
    PROX :^:
    Richard M. Nixon :mrgreen::^::^::^:
    Rolo :mrgreen::^::^::^:
    Shiboe :^:
    Shiekhan_boy :^::^:
    Skelly B :mrgreen::(
    Spookymuffin :(
    Squidbunny :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Tam :^::^::^::^:
    Taya :mrgreen::mrgreen::^:
    testmonkey :mrgreen::mrgreen::^:
    Thane :mrgreen::^::^:
    the_monarch :^::^:
    Tomanta :mrgreen::mrgreen::^::^:
    .Tripwire. :^::^:
    Tynic :mrgreen::^::^::^:
    Veritas:(

Late additions:

Slacktron: :mrgreen::^::^::^:

Participants' Goals

Agent Coleman
    --- Goals:
    1. Work on figure drawing, namely heads
    2. expressions = better
    3. overall drawing practice

Asamof the Horrible
    --- Goals:
    1. understand perspective/construction better
    2. do gesture drawings
    3. invent figures that arent totally stiff and dead looking

i have a bad tendency to just jump into the details without understanding the construction of stuff, i've also been ignoring bodies for way too long

Beavotron Daily Drawing Blog
    --- Goals: More expressive figure drawings that show force and movement. Not perfectly rendered, just expressive, animated drawings.
    More full compositions with backgrounds, not just characters floating in space
    Branch out a little, try some new things.
    Read all my technique books that I've got and actually apply the knowledge.

Bebarce
    Bebarce's goal is to simply get started in drawing. His posts will be less frequent as he wants to start off slowly.

Bombardier
    no goals given

Buckwolfe
    --- Goals:
    - To draw more full figures
    - Work more on value and contrast
    - Learn perspective

Campion
    --- Goals:
    be more dynamic in motion and perspective
    Increase cuteness through expanding variety of styles in design and colour

That seems fair. I will also try doing some animating on the side.
    All right, we're doing this! We're making this happen!

Crowleston
    --- Goals:
    The human body. I sure do suck at making it. I'd like to get better at that.
    Dynamic poses. A lot of what I draw feels really stiff.
    Color. I hate it in most cases, and that needs to go away.

Deelock
    --- Goals:
    1. Economy of line
    2. Interesting concept design and storytelling elements
    3. Increased variation in facial features and body types
    4. More emphasis on environments and architectural design
    5. Massive improvements with digital mediums

erisian pope (photography)
    --- Goals:
    1. Focus on black and white
    2. Focus on color (not taking color pics, but focus on how color works in photos - See William Eggleston as well as contemporary Gordon Lewis)
    3. Shoot some people (street, not portrait)

Faded_Sneakers
    --- Goals:
    1 ~ One sketch per day. I never just sketch anymore so this will likely be the hardest.

2 ~ One large scale Abstract per month.

3 ~ One full comic book format story, length not important, per month.

Flay
    (Flay is doing music and has different deadlines than the visual artists) --- Goals:
    Develop better time-management skills.
    Become a better guitarist.
    Overall improvement in drawing/design skills, but particularly in drawing from imagination.

Frank (f87) Frank's Daily Drawing Blog
    --- Goals:
    1. Character Concepts - Better Designs and concepts for characters as well as natural and dynamic poses.
    2. Broader horizons - Animal anatomy, landscape studies, interior design and props.
    3. Back to the basics - Carefully study basic proportions, perspective, anatomy and composition.

Godfather
    --- Goals:
    I'll start off with a simple quick portrait cartooning a day. That's about it.

If I happen to do any sturdy gestures, technical exercises or sketchbook work i'll post that along with said drawing.

The way I figure it, I won't really be taken seriously around here unless I start posting some actual artwork, so this would be giving things a fair shake.

Iruka
    --- Goals:
    1- Sketch of a concept for a character or environment piece to build a library of assets
    2- Review of some basic anatomical principals
    3- Overall organization of two different and cohesive portfolio

Jpeg
    --- Goals:
    Goals:
    1. Actually commit to a drawing a day. (Motivation issues).
    2. Interesting conceptualizing, particularly with characters
    3. Environments in general

L.E.O.
    --- Goals:
    - draw a character everyday, this can be any character made up or from pop culture.

- throw some buildings/technical stuff into the mix.

Lyrium
    --- Goals:
    -Work on things like anatomy, lighting, and do drawings from life in an attempt to get more comfortable drawing real people and improve likeness
    -Explore more interesting compositions in my more creative drawings

Man-oven Super-rock
    --- Goals:
    To increase speed.
    To improve economy of line.
    To enhance my social life to a point where drawing each day is unrealistic instead of extremely realistic.

McGibs
    --- Goals:
    I'm going to start a journal/diary thingy to help myself figure out how my brain works. It's been a long time since I've drawn stuff that comes from my heart, rather then from form and function (like a character design). Expect to see a lot of bizarre demon-looking manifestations of symbolism accompanied by incomprehensible written scrawl.
    Should be a ride.

melting_doll
    --- Goals:
    1. Color
    2. Backgrounds/environments
    3. Animals
    4. Lighting/shading
    5. Dynamics (foreshortening and perspectives)

misosoup
    --- Goals:
    1. get a grip on entire scenes, backgrounds being a big thing
    2. try to start realising my forms properly, no more ambiguous anatomy
    3. start drawing people with clothes on
    4. stop being so lazy!

Moorkus
    --- Goals:
    1. Draw every day.
    2. Learning the basics, read some books on the subject, draw from life. Maybe one study / exercise per fun drawing or something along those lines.
    3. I.. don't really know, I'm sure I'll figure something out once I understand the basics better.

Mully
    --- Goals: 1 digital painting
    1 canvas painting
    and
    1 self portrait (any kind, doodle-y)
    per month

Mustang
    --- Goals:
    1. Stop with the sloppy rendering and finish shit properly
    2. Gain a better understanding of colour, values and composition
    3. Start getting a handle on force and movement
    4. Become a better guitarist and musician (Guitar duel at the 2010 AC Xmas Dinner Flay!)
    5. Improve my knowledge of musical theory and composition
    6. Don't be such a dick all the time

NakedZergling Daily Drawing Blog
    --- Goals:
    1) to actually watch the "structure of man" dvds i bought last year
    2) to read more art books
    3) to practice land/cityscapes

Nappuccino
    (napp is doing musical stuff) --- Goals:
    -I'd like to push myself to be more creative
    -Get better at my fundamentals (Scales and understanding chord changes from an achedemic standpoint not just "it sounds good" like I do now)
    -and working my voice in to songs (also entails writing lyrics which is a whole new ball park)

Natri
    --- Goals:
    1. Use more colour in my drawings, and actually start painting with acrylics and oil
    2. Practice perspective and backgrounds
    3. Master the human figure so I can draw poses convincingly without reference
    4. Update my art thread over here more often

NibCrom
    --- Goals:
    1. Absolutely destroy the boundaries of my color theory knowledge and my coloring skills.
    2. Drastically improve my knowledge and understanding of the human figure.
    3. Draw more from life, illustrating what I see, not what I think.

Nic
    --- Goals:
    -Improve my ability to draw both the male and female human figures
    -Improve my skills with a tablet
    -Build my colouring skills
    -Work with paints and other physical colouring media
    -Draw a lot more from life
    -Work on composition
    -Draw realistically as well as stylistically
    -Carry a full illustration from the planning process to the finished product
    -Develop a recognizable visual style that's engaging and interesting

no_toast
    --- Goals:
    1. Draw/Paint something every day
    2. Finish 1 painting each month
    3. Learn to better use color theory
    4. Build variability to portfolio
    5. Do at least one blog entry to my comic blog each month
    6. Learn Flash/ActionScript to use as a tool for user interface design

Orikae
    --- Goals: 1. practice facial expressions & head construction
    2. practice environment concepts, indoor & outdoor
    3. practice character design, reworking of old concepts & inventing new ones

PierceNeck
    --- Goals:
    I want to draw people, because my people look like monsters. So I just skip over the people part and draw monsters. Though I'm not sure where to start.

I want to learn to use different mediums. Currently I stick to mostly pen/pencil/paper. And sometimes color with markers. But that's about it.

I'd like to be able to do backgrounds and landscapes. Everything I draw is floating in a vacuum of nothingness.

Projeck
    ---Goals
    1) Work on my observational drawing skills
    2) Get better at portraying forms and such , giving my stuff depth
    3) Draw more women + environments + other stuff

Prospicience
    (drawing/writing/design/photo) --- Goals:
    - Color (EVERYTHING ABOUT IT)
    - Lines (not so damn sketchy, smoother, cleaner lines)
    - Composition, goddamn my composition sucks right now.
    - Anatomy
    - perspective
    - I'd also like to improve my writing quite a bit so I'm going to mix that into my drawing/design/photography.

PROX
    --- Goals:
    1. Remember my anatomy.
    2. Improve my technical drawing skill.
    3. Improve my form painting.

Rolo
    --- Goals:
    I am getting HARDCORE.

I will be working on bordering, calligraphy and graphic design.
    As well as anatomy and figure drawing and maybe some mechanical design and perspective.

Shiboe
    --- Goals:
    Got a lot of learning to do, and want to section it so I don't get burned out (hopefully) and have a bit more structure that will keep me on task (hopefully). So every month will be focused on something-
    - anatomy
    - form/expressiveness
    - faces
    - color
    - environment/perspective
    - integration of everything for glorious larger weekly projects for the remainder

Shiekhan_boy
    ---Goals:
    1 Keep myself consistent and be able to access my "artistic mode" more fully.
    2. Be able to draw a proportionate body and faces.
    3. study cloths and folds fully to learn shadows and depth more.

Skelly B
    --- Goals:
    ~Sketch in pen.
    ~Use my markers more often.
    ~Have fun with this.

Spookymuffin :(
    --- Goals:
    -To complete the challenge (a drawing a day at least)
    -Work on making my drawings not looking like kindergarten fingerpaintings
    -Steal goals from other people in this thread

Squidbunny
    --- Goals:
    1. Draw more, jerk.

2. Work on anatomy, for God's sake.

3. Try to do more inorganic environments where I have to confront perspective directly instead of hiding behind organic squigglies.

This is going to hurt so good.

Tam
    --- Goals: Due to academic constraints, my goals will simply be to complete one piece of art per day, be it a painting, some sort of design, or drawing. I hope to keep developing my linework and foray a bit further into painting.

Taya
    --- Goals:
    1. get better at shading
    2. learn how to draw fabric folds/creases
    3. improve proportions

I'm a beginner so I have to keep it simple.

testmonkey
    --- Goals:
    I have sort of already made a resolution to draw every day, and its probable that joining a group where i have to upload my drawings every day will prevent me from flaking out of this resolution by week 2, so can i sign up to this

Im just a beginner at the moment so My goals are simply to draw every day, and hopefully identify areas for improvement as i go on.

Thane
    --- Goals:
    1) Stop slacking and actually make realistic backgrounds
    2) Stop slacking and put more effort into my colors
    3) Finally learn how to translate pencils into ink and not coming out the other end with a completely different drawing altogether.

the_monarch
    --- Goals:
    1: Color Theory: I have Painting I this semester, so I hopefully will get a greater grasp on color theory.
    2: Draw every day.
    3: Draw more from life, not from memory.
    4: Work more on shading and value.

Tomanta
    --- Goals:
    * Fill at least one sketchbook. I have too many mostly-empty ones lying around!
    * Start doing color digital paintings (this is more of an end-of-year goal, not starting with it yet)
    * Just general improvement. Especially anatomy, but I'd like to work on perspective, value, color... yeah. We'll see. I want to finally be able to consider myself "not a beginner" after years of drawing off and on (mostly off).

.Tripwire.
    --- Goals: 1. I've been intending to do a Moe comic every weekday which would normally sound like sitewhore comic spam but Alex invited me to the thread so fuck off!

2. I also need to get better at drawing environments and backgrounds. And women. So that I can employ illustrations of each in

3. A graphic novel.

Tynic
    --- Goals:
    1. Get better at drawing humans
    2. do lots of gesture drawings
    3. more dynamic/active images
    4. work on perspective
    ... this list could really go forever.

Veritas
    --- Goals:
    1. Finish my website and record progress on there
    2. Get some work printed instead of letting it sit in files on the computer
    3. Try to use one new medium a week, or at least do something without the computer.
    4. Stop Procrastinating

beavotron on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So first I figured I'd draw a baby for New Years from memory. I know what a baby looks like, right?
    New_Year_Baby_by_tayatagi.jpg

But he looks like a Cabbage Patch doll so today I copied a baby from a Loomis book.
    Another_Baby_by_tayatagi.jpg

This is going to be a long year... D:

Quick someone post something better.

Taya on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    01/01/2010
    4233975616_d67e4a61ce.jpg

01/02/2010
    4237597928_370ee55f94.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Young_Armilus_Sketch_by_Buckwolfe.png
    1_02_10_Doodles_by_Buckwolfe.png

At this point I'm only trying to draw more often than I already do. I'll work my way to achieving my more specific goals as I go along.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Weekday comic:
    2010-01-01-327-%27Moe%27ld-Lang-Syne.gif

Finally whipped out a graphic for my brother's tattoo idea:
    mtatsm.jpg

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xmas for Mustang:

2rzrorc.jpg

OC session with Bombs, Mully, and Mr. Firman

1zvefyc.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jan 1: Yaya (doodle of a grandmother with her donkey in crete)

yaya.jpg

Jan 2: Cat lady (character design activity, transform a human character into an animal showing the step between)

catlady.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Beav you're a tough act to follow, but here goes!

Jan1: A drawing of me from a photograph.
    scan0005-5-1.jpg

Jan 2: Trying to get the female figure from photos on DeviantArt (basically the plan is to start with these, work on understanding anatomy, and then come back to these photos to see the improvement).
    scan0004-5.jpg

Nic on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    January 1
    SIGH.jpg

January 2
    bottle.jpg

TaDA! I Got a few books for XMAS will be reading them soon!

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Jan 1: just some doodles

100101.jpg

Jan 2: warmup sketches

100102.jpg

edit: oh, yeah. I'll be travelling next saturday, and may not have regular internet access for a few weeks after that. So don't panic if I'm not around, but I will put up a monster dump before the end of January.

tynic on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Friday
    jan1.jpg
    Curse you eraser troll!

Saturday
    comic059.jpg

Edit: Seeing how we're keeping track on a week to week basis who did their's and who did not, I've start an excel file to keep track of the weeks, so then we can see who did the most in the year for a fabulous prize of inflated self-esteem.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jan 1
    jennylewis-jan01.jpg

jan 2
    balance1-jan02.jpg

jan 2 (late night with posemaniacs, 30 seconds -- first gesture drawings i've ever done)
    figures-jan02.jpg

mully on
  • Options
    testmonkeytestmonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1/1/10
    figure drawing from a photo reference
    1-1-10.jpg

2/1/10
    Some hand studies
    2-1-10.jpg

testmonkey on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    01/01
    001-001-4.jpg
    001-001-3.jpg
    001-001-2.jpg
    001-001-1.jpg
    02/01
    002-001-1.png

I work till 1am, so I'll probably have more drawings from work, but it's shopping time now!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nice work, guys.

The holidays really have me phoning in these first two. They can only get better.

01/01: Spent about 5 minutes trying to sketch the cats, who wouldn't hold still for 5 seconds:
    001.jpg

01/02:Some squash:
    002.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Crusty made up
    jan11.jpg

Crustier photo study
    jan2gl.jpg

Mustang on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nice start guys and gals!

Jan 1. I fell in love with Molotov's paint markers and did couple of pieces with those. This is from my gf's new black sketchbook (a collaborative effort).

jan1.jpg

Jan 2. Small astronaut dude on my sketchbook

jan2.jpg

no_toast on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jan 1st - Brute Character sketch:
    2010_01.png

Jan 2nd - Quick Cat study:
    2010_02.png

F87 on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jan 1
    CyberDemon.jpg

Jan 2 (wont have a chance to finish it today)
    Ridley.jpg

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    01-01: Decided to spend some time on something, then come back to try it again towards the end of the year as a measure of progress. Pose is from photo reference, which I learned doesn't always produce the best info (the back arm looks way too small on paper, even though it's pretty much the same as in the reference). And I should have used reference for the coat as I have no idea what the far end should look like:

01012010.jpg

01-02: Some sketches while watching something off of Netflix. I'll probably do a lot of these, but I'm leaving what I was watching vague because I'd rather people figure it out on their own (or not).

01022010.jpg

I'm also still trying to figure out the best way to scan pencils on my scanner.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jan 1 (just terrible)

sp1.jpg

Jan 2

sp2.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Here's a quick recording of something I started practicing on January 1.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gf15izmnmiy

*ninja*

And a comic I've been working on for a few days now...

2uqmy3a.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Starting off a little slow.

010110.gif

010210.gif

Skelly B on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    01/01- constantly messing with PS workflows and animation. Working with the dog sketches to see what I can do with it:
    dogexp.jpg

01/02- Quick studies
    quickstudies1.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    January 1, 2010:
    20100101.jpg

January 2, 2010
    20100102.jpg

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MoorkusMoorkus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drawing on the right side of the brain - negative space exercise
    0001.jpg

So many issues to work on, this one actually took quite a bit of time and effort even though it looks very simple, I wanted to have something proper to compare with at the end of the year. But hey if I learn how to draw feet and clothes I'll have improved :p
    0002.jpg

Moorkus on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some more foumers, because I plan on getting better at drawing people and I've been having fun doing these.

010110.jpg

These aren't much to look at, but they're little sketches for painting ideas I have, trying to find better compositions. Some I'm feeling okay about, others not so much.

010210.jpg

E: aw, I'm not on the progress list :C

lyrium on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    decided to finish off the first page of that wedding comic from earlier last year:

010110.gif

010210.gif

when I get it lettered, I'll drop it into my own thread for crits.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry for the crappy start.

jan1.jpg
    jan2.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    2010 01 01

20100101.jpg

2010 01 02
    20100102.jpg

also holy shit 20100102 is a palindrome date!

Brolo on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    January 2
    dakotaspics001.jpg w684.png
    dakotaspics002.jpg w684.png

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OK I'm a big loser and forgot all about this. I'll have my scanner hooked up tomorrow and scan my stuff. Also I'll see if I can edit them into this post so I don't have to make an extra post.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ooh, ooh... can I be a late signer-upper?

Here is a sketch I did for an upcoming strip where the main character is smashed against a glass window. Any crits? Thanks.

1-2-10-Sketch.png

And the object of the character's affection, A scarf that carries the colors of a certain lightning-scarred boy's school house.
    1-2-10-sketch2.png

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    technically this is late, but not on the west coast, so HA

don't have a scanner handy, took webcam pics

new year's day was a complete loss due to drunken debauchery, so i drew on the 31st instead, a guy with a rad pleather coat
    dailydrawing_20091231.jpg

and today's, a guy with rad hair, he was like a lion

dailydrawing_20100102.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1-01-10
    frazetta painting i've been copying (on iscribble) for a while now. did a few hours yesterday (just about finished, woohoo!)
    2yvl9cn.jpg
    1-02-10
    some loomis studies i did today, tried to block it as simply as i could out to understand a little bit better
    5nq1k9.jpg
    1s07ys.jpg

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I'm trying to do this I guess.

1.png
    2.png

bombardier on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I haven't had my scanner on me, and I don't have anything to get good lighting on my drawing for a pic. So for today I'm just submitting my day 2 until I get to my scanner monday.

2.jpg

Prospicience on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For my first entry, i'm re-working one of my so called "sketches"

I just have the rhythm track down now so it might not sound all that different to someone who listened to the original.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jymzqn5n2zb

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not late, I update on Sundays! :D

01|01 -
    starting the year with some Brawl-age
    0101.jpg

01|02 -
    0102.jpg

01|03 -
    0103.jpg

0103-2.jpg

I'll probably be drawing more later today, but I have to atleast make it look like I got some work done...

melting_doll on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, here are a few quick cartoon doodles that I did on the plane:

b2Lqx.jpg

bSi4j.jpg

H4S9i.jpg

GYzGJ.jpg

Erasing is for pussies, so I just left the mistakes in there and move on. Besides, carbon pencil is a pain in the ass to erase on newsprint.

I didn't draw this on the plane, but dammit I liked it so i'm going to post it anyways:

4zDW8.jpg

Godfather on