As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread. Post in new one.

ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
New to Rock Band? Go here to the old OP.

Want the details about RBN? Scroll to the RBN section of this post.

923 Downloadable songs as of April 6th, 2010.
55 of 58 Rock Band 1 tracks exportable to Rock Band 2 (360/PS3)
84 Rock Band 2 on-disc tracks
18 AC/DC Live tracks exportable to Rock Band 2 (360/PS3)
45 Lego Rock Band tracks exportable to Rock Band 2 (360/PS3)

1125 Total tracks available for Rock Band 2

This Week's DLC

Axis: Bold as Love by the Jimi Hendrix Experience
  • "Up From the Skies"
  • "Spanish Castle Magic"
  • "Wait Until Tomorrow"
  • "Aint No Telling"
  • "Little Wing"
  • "If 6 Was 9"
  • "You Got Me Floatin"
  • "Castles Made of Sand"
  • "Shes So Fine"
  • "One Rainy Wish"
  • "Little Miss Lover"
  • "Bold as Love"
  • "Valleys of Neptune"

These tracks will be available for purchase as the "Axis: Bold As Love Album" pack, as well as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system and as individual tracks only on Wii. The pack will be $19.99 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The individual tracks will be $1.99 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and $2.00 on Wii.

Next Week's DLC

Single Tracks
Anberlin – “Feel Good Drag”
Hawk Nelson – “Live Life Loud”
Skillet – “Monster”
Superchick – “Stand in the Rain”
Switchfoot – “Meant to Live”
Thousand Foot Krutch – “Fire It Up”

These tracks will be available as individual tracks on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. All tracks will also be available for download in the family-friendly LEGO® Rock Band Music Store.

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track

Future DLC

Confirmed by artist/band and developers/MTV:
  • Pantera
  • Snoop Dogg
  • Third Eye Blind
  • Pearl Jam (more live stuff)

FREE STUFF
The following songs are available for free download via the Rock Band Music Store for the PS3, 360, and the Wii (those not on the Wii are noted):
  • "Still Alive" by GLaDOS and Jonathan Coulton
  • "Promised Land" by Vesuvius *not on the Wii*
  • "Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)" by Stephen and the Colberts *not on the Wii*
  • "Headphones On" by Miranda Cosgrove
  • "Dreaming of Love" by Lights Resolve

If you purchased Rock Band 2 brand spanking new, you are entitled to an additional 20 free tracks, mostly from Indie bands. Check the back of the manual for instructions. The code is a one time use. The pack includes:
"Ashes to Fire" by Ghost Hounds
"Bounce" by the Cab
"Burn You Down" by Opiate for the Masses
"Crazy Tuesday" by Thenewno2
"Database Corrupted" by Dealership
"Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" by Underoath
"Get It On" by the Chevelles
"Give It to Me" by the Cocktail Slippers
"I Wanna Be Your Man" by Endeverafter
"I'm Gone, I'm Going" by Lesley Roy
"I.V." by X Japan
"If I Ain't Got You" by the Len Price 3
"Like a Fool" by Shaimus
"Magnetic Baby" by Semi Precious Weapons
"No Regrets" by Authority Zero
"Prequel to the Sequel" by Between the Buried and Me
"Sons and Daughters" by the 88
"The Feeling" by Kutless
"The Time Is Wrong" by Tickle Me Pink
"Young" by Hollywood Undead

ROCK BAND RELEASE DATES
Rock Band
North America: Available now for PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii
Europe: Available now in most countries for PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii
Australia: Available now for PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii depending on the store/location

Rock Band 2
North America: Available now for PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii
Europe: Available now for the Xbox 360, PS2, PS3 and the Wii
Australia: No release date yet :(

Rock Band Unplugged
North America: Available now for the PSP
Europe: Available now for the PSP

Lego Rock Band
North America:Available now for PS3, Xbox 360, the Wii, and the DS
UK: November 27th, 2009 for PS3, Xbox 360, the Wii, and the DS

The Beatles: Rock Band
International: Available now for PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii

HARMONIX PODCAST
The podcast is linked up on the 'Zine page of the RockBand.com page. Subscribe via iTunes

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT
Rock Band DLC list via WikiPedia
Rock Band Unplugged DLC list via WikiPedia

Albums available for download so far:
Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest
The Cars by the Cars
Doolittle by the Pixies
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying by Megadeth
Moving Pictures by Rush
Blood Sugar Sex Magick by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dr. Feelgood by Mötley Crüe
The Colour and the Shape by the Foo Fighters
The Singles 1992-2003 by No Doubt
Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Ten by Pearl Jam
Chinese Democracy by Guns 'n Roses
Nothing's Shocking by Jane's Addiction
Back from the Dead by Spinal Tap
Backspacer by Pearl Jam
Rust in Peace by Megadeth
Axis: Bold as Love by the Jimi Hendrix Experience

PLAYING WITH PA FOLKS
If you're on Xbox LIVE, go ahead and add Rock Band PA as a friend. Then look at that gamertag's friends list and send out messages to people to coordinate a band or you can post in this thread. If you want to find people with DLC, it helps to know what you have and you can go to DLC Quickplay and make your own list (and tag it in your sig like some people). It is generally accepted to play in your difficulty range (i.e. not constantly failing out) and it's cool if you have a headset to be able to talk to people.

IF YOU WANT YOUR HANDLE HERE, PM ME

PSN... tumbleweed...
Forum Handle / PSN Name
midgetspy / Fiddlehumper
Ketar / Ketar
toolbert / toolbert
Junior Yank / junioryank
GarethMagis / garethmagis
dergderg / GorenGhast

Wii Number Insanity
Homestar Gunner 3336-5117-8458
zimfan 0372-9861-1361
MetroidZoid 0759-5314-6010
psych0 0759-5338-3394
Remington 1103-1229-7404
Joe Dizzy 0673-6361-3795

========================

The Beatles Rock Band
09/09/09
Xbox 360, PS3, and the Wii
The_Beatles_Rock_Band_box_art.jpg

WHAT'S IN IT?
  • Compatibility - Due to restrictions by Apple, on-disc and DLC tracks for the Beatles Rock Band will not be compatible with any other Rock Band game.
  • Harmonies - Two additional people can sing back up vocals. All microphones are tied to one controller allowing for any combination of singers, potentially up to 6 people (3 singers, 3 instruments) can play because of this.
  • Overdrive/Beatlemania! - Due to restrictions by Apple, it seems the freestyle drum fill to activate Overdrive/Beatlemania! on drums no longer exists. Instead, you're given a glowing green gem to hit to activate it minus the drum fill.
  • Effects - Guitar switch effects are disabled in-game. Whammy doesn't always produce a modified noise. Most of this has to do with the lack of split tracks. Opening/Closing drum fills are silenced as well.
  • Unlockable media - Never before seen videos, photos, and other neat goodies relating to the Fab Four.
  • Dreamscapes - While the game follows the Beatles' career at the start, they end up being cooped up in Abbey Road Studios in the later half. In order to present better visuals than just strumming in the studio, Harmonix has gone ahead and created these dreamscapes - imagined cinematics of the song that plays out while you play.
  • Downloadable Albums - Abbey Road has been announced to be the first full album with more full albums to come after the game's release. See below for release dates and albums.
  • New Instruments - Based on the Beatles' own gear:
    • John Lennon’s Rickenbacker 325 guitar
    • Sir Paul McCartney’s trademark Höfner bass
    • George Harrison’s Gretsch Duo Jet guitar
    • Ringo Starr’s drums with classic black oyster pearl finish and Ludwig-branded Beatles kick drum head

Hidden Photos
Unlock some hidden photos that show some bonus Beatles photos along with development artwork and planning by quickly entering this at the start menu:Blue, Yellow, Orange, Orange, Orange, Blue, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Orange.

Tracklist
* I Saw Her Standing There
* Boys
* Do You Want To Know A Secret
* Twist And Shout
* I Wanna Be Your Man
* I Want to Hold Your Hand
* A Hard Day’s Night
* Can’t Buy Me Love
* I Feel Fine
* Eight Days A Week
* Ticket To Ride
* Day Tripper
* Drive My Car
* I’m Looking Through You
* If I Needed Someone
* Paperback Writer
* Taxman
* Yellow Submarine
* And Your Bird Can Sing
* Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
* With a Little Help from My Friends
* Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
* Getting Better
* Good Morning Good Morning
* I Am The Walrus
* Hello Goodbye
* Revolution
* Back In The U.S.S.R.
* Dear Prudence
* While My Guitar Gently Weeps
* Birthday
* Helter Skelter
* Hey Bulldog
* Don’t Let Me Down
* Come Together
* Something
* Octopus’s Garden
* I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
* Here Comes The Sun
* Dig A Pony
* I Me Mine
* I’ve Got A Feeling
* Get Back
* Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows
* The End

Album DLC
Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg
Abbey Road (1969)
Release Date: October 20, 2009
Pricing: $16.98 (or 1360 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for album
$1.99 (or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for individual tracks

• “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer”
• “Oh! Darling”
• “Because”
• “You Never Give Me Your Money”
• “Sun King”
• “Mean Mr. Mustard”
• “Polythene Pam”
• “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window”
• “Golden Slumbers”
• “Carry That Weight”
• “Her Majesty”

In addition, purchasers of the full album download of Abbey Road will have the option to play the famous 16-minute B-side medley as a single continuous track. The medley includes “You Never Give Me Your Money,” “Sun King,” “Mean Mr. Mustard,” “Polythene Pam,” “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window,” “Golden Slumbers,” “Carry That Weight” and “The End."

Peppers.jpg
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Release Date: November 16th, 2009

• “Fixing A Hole”
• “She’s Leaving Home”
• “Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite”
• “Within You Without You”
• “When I’m Sixty Four”
• “Lovely Rita”
• “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)”
• “A Day In The Life”

RubberSoulUK.jpg
Rubber Soul (1965)
Release Date: December 15th, 2009

• “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
• “You Won’t See Me”
• “Nowhere Man”
• “Think For Yourself”
• “The Word”
• “Michelle”
• “What Goes On”
• “Girl”
• “In My Life”
• “Wait”
• “Run For Your Life”

========================

Lego Rock Band
Available now
Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and DS
Lego_Rock_Band.jpg

WHAT'S IN IT?
  • Exportable - The entire setlist will be exportable to your hard drive (just like Rock Band) for about $10 (PS3 & 360). Requires a code packed in PS3 and Xbox 360 carts.
  • Importable - Some current Rock Band DLC will be playable in Lego Rock Band once it goes through a content filter.
  • Difficulty - The game is targeting the younger crowd and/or families. As such the difficulty curve is set much lower. This includes Super Easy mode.
  • Gameplay - While the music sections maintain the usual Rock Band gameplay, there are Lego specific challenges that have your band create/destroy buildings. You will also collect Lego Bricks to build and customize your avatars and your "rock den."
  • Nintendo DS version - The handheld version for the DS will be quite similar to the PSP's RB Unplugged. You will switch between the four instruments and play with four buttons.
  • No Online multiplayer - Console versions have no online multiplayer. The DS version offers local, cart required multiplayer.
  • Lego-ized Rockers - Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Blur, Spinal Tap, Queen and others appear in the game.

45 Master Tracks
* = song appears on DS version
"A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend*
"Accidentally In Love" by Counting Crows*
"Aliens Exist" by Blink 182
"Breakout" by Foo Fighters
"Check Yes Juliet" by We the Kings*
"Crash" by the Primatives*
"Crocodile Rock" by Elton John
"Dig" by Incubus
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by the Police
"Fire" by Jimi Hendrix
"Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty*
"Dreaming of You" by the Coral
"Grace" by Supergrass*
"Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr.*
"Girls and Boys" by Good Charlotte*
"I Want You Back" by Jackson 5*
"In Too Deep" by Sum 41*
"Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas*
"Let's Dance" by David Bowie*
"Life is a Highway" by Rascal Flatts*
"Make Me Smile" by Steve Harly
"Monster" by the Automatic*
"Naïve" by the Kooks
"The Passenger" by Iggy Pop*
"Real Wild Child" by Everlife
"Ride a White Swan" by T. Rex
"Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)" by Lostprophets
"Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs*
"Short & Sweet" by Spinal Tap
"So What" by P!nk*
"Song 2" by Blur
"Stumble and Fall" by Razorlight
"Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall*
"Summer of 69" by Brian Adams
"Swing, Swing" by the All-American Rejects*
"The Final Countdown" by Europe*
"Thunder" by Boys Like Girls
"Tick Tick Boom" by the Hives
"Two Princes" by Spin Doctors*
"Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves*
"We Are The Champions" by Queen*
"We Will Rock You" by Queen*
"Word Up!" by Korn
"You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi

========================

Rock Band Network
Available now on LIVE
Xbox 360 - All features
PS3 & Wii - Limited DLC from RBN after it goes on LIVE, PS3 might get the full RBN later on

Rock-band-network-logo.jpg

WHAT'S THIS?
WikiPedia wrote:
The Rock Band Network is a system designed by Harmonix Music Systems with the help of Microsoft to allow musical artists and record labels to make their music available as playable tracks for the Rock Band series of rhythm video games. The Network was designed to allow more music to be incorporated into Rock Band than Harmonix themselves could produce, and it is seen as a way to further expand the games' music catalog into a wide variety of genres. The Network is set to start beta testing in September 2009, with it becoming publicly available to all Xbox 360 players in November; Harmonix hopes to be able to also bring these songs to the PlayStation 3 and Wii consoles.

The Rock Band Network is based on the XNA Creators Club model and uses peer review to check songs for playability, copyright violations, and profanity. Harmonix has developed a suite of software tools, including a modified version of REAPER, a digital audio sound tool, and Magma, a metadata packaging tool, for use by artists and labels. In addition, Harmonix has helped to spawn the creation of several third-party companies, based on the previous hacking environment for the creation of custom songs, that will author an artist's song into a Rock Band track. Artists retain full control on their songs, and receive 30% of the sales from the Network. Several artists and labels have already committed to expanding the distribution of their music through the network.

WHAT BANDS ARE DOING THIS?
This obviously gives smaller, indie bands a venue for some cash. There is a list up on the Rock Band forums of bands and labels who may be putting songs up on the Rock Band Network. Expect to see more from Harmonix bands, Johnathan Coulton, and plenty of Indie bands.

I HAVE A BAND!
Great! Have a look at the process and tool you will need over on the RBN page.

HOW DO I USE THIS NOW THAT IT IS LIVE?
As long as you have an Xbox 360, Rock Band 2, and LIVE, the Rock Band Network Store should be under the Music Store after you press start on the opening screen. From there you can preview all the songs, download demos, and buy songs. The demo is basically 30 seconds from the beginning of the song where you can play for free. If you pause the song in there, you can purchase it. Songs purchased from the RBN will show up as their own category in song selection with a tiny RBN logo. RBN tracks can't be played in Tour Challenge mode or via mystery setlists.

I HAVE A PS3/WII AND I CAN'T GET THIS!?
Hold on there. Let's get this out of the way before you start getting the wrong idea. The reason why the RBN is focused on the 360 side is because the tools for developing it were there. LIVE has XNA which allowed for this to happen. Using this service in order to create DLC, having a pricing/royalty setup already, and being allowed to go through the steps to post things on the marketplace thanks to Microsoft allowing Harmonix to self-police RBN content means that everything will run smooth. Neither Nintendo nor Sony allow for such a thing, for the time being. As such, Harmonix will select the top tracks from the RBN and bring them over to the other systems. There have been talks that Harmonix was looking to set up RBN on the PSN if at least to have the DLC available but nothing concrete on either side has been mentioned.

========================

Green Day Rock Band
TBA 2010
Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii
GreenDayRockBand.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43SZIbcfvc

WHAT'S THIS?
Basically a game covering lots of Green Day and nothing else. A bit similar to Beatles Rock Band but the amount of polish is yet to be seen. So far the only things we've been shown is that "American Idiot" is playable, it is compatible with all Green Day DLC on the Rock Band Music Store, and that it will have loads of Green Day tracks.

WHAT'S IN IT?
  • Tracklist - Currently, 47 on-disc songs have been promised. This is not including any current/future Green Day DLC which will be compatible with this game.
  • Vocal Harmonies - This has been carried over from the Beatles Rock Band to allow multiple vocalists for some tracks.
  • Fully Exportable - It has been confirmed that this game will be fully exportable to allow its tracks to be played on Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and some tracks for Lego Rock Band, of course with a small fee. Pre-ordering at Gamestop will waive this fee via a code.

SOUNDTRACK
These are the songs that have been confirmed:

"American Idiot"
"Boulevard of Broken Dreams"
"Brain Stew/Jaded"
"Hitchin' a Ride"
"Wake Me Up When September Ends"

========================

Rock Band 3
Q4 2010
Consoles unconfirmed

WHAT'S THIS?
Aside from being told the expected release date by the Viacom president, we have no idea. Will post as details get confirmed. Not gonna bother with rumor bullshit.

========================

Other Rock Band Games

Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP - Gameplay is similar to Frequency/Amplitude. Has it's own DLC.
Rock Band for the iPhone - Similar to the PSP but can also allow 4-way multiplayer. Also has its own DLC.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
Arikado on

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    For some reason, I can GS "Colony of Birchmen", "The Trees", "Siva" and a gang of other shit and STILL I can't even get four fucking stars on "We Got the Beat". It is the bane of my existence. I hate it so hard.

Apparently...you don't.
    Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone want to boost I mean earn achievements for the drum/bass/guitar unisons on songs sometime?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I already have them, but if you can't find anybody else to help out, I'll jump in. I'll be playing Mass Effect, but I can switch for a while.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    For some reason, I can GS "Colony of Birchmen", "The Trees", "Siva" and a gang of other shit and STILL I can't even get four fucking stars on "We Got the Beat". It is the bane of my existence. I hate it so hard.

Apparently...you don't.
    Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

:?

...I tip big. Honest.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As usual, I'm down Fyre.

EDIT: Lunch arrived, be down in like 20 mins.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have to go shovel anyways (oh the joys of being building manager), so it'll be a bit.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Continuing on the double pedal discussion from the last thread, it would be interesting if they made it so you could use the left pedal to raise or lower the hi-hat like a real kit. It would make the game quite a bit harder though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so, quick question here for the 360 people who will hopefully know the answer

I want to play rockband at my parents house with my siblings, who have a 360, but I have about twice as many songs + the beatles stuff unlocked. I don't want to bring my whole system over, so if i just bring the hdd, everything should work fine as long as we are connected to live, correct?

ronzo on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, if you stay connected to Live.

Edit: if you see songs in your list but the game reports an error as soon as you start to load them, that's a sign of DRM failure. Check your connection to Live.

(Reminds me of the time back in April or May I think, I brought my 360 and Ion kit with all DLC to a Rock Band night fundraiser. I didn't realize my recently-replaced 360 wasn't authorized for all those songs. I had to get out my laptop, tether to my cell phone for an Internet connection, and get my 360 connected to Live in this bar in Omaha for the songs to work.)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    awesome

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Getting on now for Beatles.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You know, that reminds me. When I did that last year, we had hired a DJ to come bring sound and video equipment. After the event he told me I should consider doing this more often, I guess as paid entertainment for a bar's patrons. I told him I didn't think I'd be interested.

Is that something bars actually do frequently? Have Rock Band nights? With all the Rock Band stuff I've got, I think I could do a good job of this.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow...over 1000 songs. That...is a lot.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    You know, that reminds me. When I did that last year, we had hired a DJ to come bring sound and video equipment. After the event he told me I should consider doing this more often, I guess as paid entertainment for a bar's patrons. I told him I didn't think I'd be interested.

Is that something bars actually do frequently? Have Rock Band nights? With all the Rock Band stuff I've got, I think I could do a good job of this.

Harmonix is starting up some sort of official Rock Band Bar Nights or something, so you might have missed your window.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

Yes, it is something bars do. Harmonix even has their own program(dunno all the details of what happens when you sign up, though...):

http://www.rockband.com/barnight/

There's one I'm gathering together in the Seattle area(heads up for anyone in that area). More info to come.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's only if you want to be set up as a business for them, you could still offer to do it for a bar.

I think the Harmonix thing might have bulk rates for the songs.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    !
    Awesome.

I can't see rockband.com from behind the web filter at work, but I'm definitely going to have to look into that. Thanks guys.

(If I do anything in the Omaha area, I'll definitely let you know, FyreWulff. Or should I post in here? Are there multiple Omaha-area types active in this thread?)

Edit: I mean, let people know so we can show up and potentially ROCK!

mspencer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's roughly 30 people from Omaha on these boards. I was surprised too but it's like we come out of the woodwork.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one with all the DLC though, I think I'm the only one that's anywhere near your amount. And I don't have the money (or any really) to replace my 360 or buy a new one to get into that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, if you stay connected to Live.

Edit: if you see songs in your list but the game reports an error as soon as you start to load them, that's a sign of DRM failure. Check your connection to Live.

Keep this in mind:

Do not buy any songs! This only causes DRM headaches. If you think you might want to buy anything new, take the whole system and be done with it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    YEAH I'M TALKING ABOUT BOYS

why is that song so hard to sing? it's Ringo. He has like two notes.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Purified wheat middling sardine!

(Am I doin' it right?)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally got around to the Tom Petty tracks

Holy shit, the "American Girl" solo is insanity

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Via the Official Forums, it seems Coheed and Cambria are suggesting the potential for more DLC being made available in the upcoming year.
    Coheed wrote:
    Not too shabby.

http://rockbandaide.com/best-selling-xbox-360-dlc-of-2009/ Will have to do better in 2010, though.

And for the record, following the link shows 'the song nobody gave a shit about until it featured in The Sopranos' as the top selling song released last year. C&C's song A Favor House Atlantic was number 35.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That makes my day.

It might be too much to hope for full albums, but they're one band that I hope gets one

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Via the Official Forums, it seems Coheed and Cambria are suggesting the potential for more DLC being made available in the upcoming year.
    Coheed wrote:
    Not too shabby.

http://rockbandaide.com/best-selling-xbox-360-dlc-of-2009/ Will have to do better in 2010, though.

And for the record, following the link shows 'the song nobody gave a shit about until it featured in The Sopranos' as the top selling song released last year. C&C's song A Favor House Atlantic was number 35.

Wait, you think that no one gave a shit about "Don't Stop Believing" until it was on the Sopranos??? o_O

It's like the most famous and best loved power ballad of all time.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And then it became a pop culture meme...

It's general success isn't in doubt, but what I do doubt is that anybody would've bought it in the same numbers if it hadn't been featured. Did Smooth Criminal do well because people really like it? Or because Michael Jackson died? The rest of the top five is filled with 'nu metal goodness'.

There is no accounting for taste. And Journey has been out of the public consciousness for so long. Song number 6 was free. And released only two weeks ago. It doesn't make Dreaming of Love a highly coveted piece of musical experience.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "Smooth Criminal" did hit before MJ's death though, and I remember pretty much everyone here was excited about it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It must be remembered that we are, almost by definition, pop culture aficionados. It was released just less than a month before he died and that had to have played no small part in 'everybody else' deciding to get it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I might agree, but...
    #47 Jackson 5, The ABC 9/8/2009 Single

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I might agree, but...
    #47 Jackson 5, The ABC 9/8/2009 Single

This isn't as good an argument as you might think. It had just less than four months of availability and beat out an assload of crap that had been available for longer.

Also:
    46 Iron Maiden Run to the Hills (Original Version) 6/9/2009 Single

Would you say that the Jackson 5 song was so anticipated and popular, it nearly beat out a song people had been bitching that didn't export from RB1 and was a cover anyway?

Like I said, that the Journey song had fans and sold well isn't in dispute. I simply doubt that anybody would've really cared about it if it hadn't received some highly publicised exposure. If anything, the Jackson 5 song might have done as well as Smooth Criminal if it had an extra three months.

What we don't know is relative sales numbers. What are the splits? What are the top-heavy numbers? And so on... Again, a song that nobody ever heard about was released for free two or three weeks ago and reached number 6 on that list.

Then again, the Steve Miller songs were wildly disparate in its success. #10, #33, #198. It seems that Space Cowboy wasn't popular enough. I still doubt the Journey song sells this well without The Sopranos.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wish they could do this with PS3 and Wii numbers so we could compare tastes

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wasn't aware "Kryptonite" would be so high.

Also, lol @ "Last Resort". All those angry people...

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Angry people tried to boycott MW2...

The only reason I don't have that particular song is that I can't be bothered to buy it. I'd probably rather it had been an on-disc song.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Another thing that assuredly affected the tally was the Rock Band/Pepsi promotion, which probably inflated the purchase of songs released during that period. I know it led me to pick up random tracks that I wouldn't have otherwise considered because I think the actual music sucks (see: Godsmack's "I Stand Alone").

metaghost on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Legacy wrote: »

Yes, it is something bars do. Harmonix even has their own program(dunno all the details of what happens when you sign up, though...):

http://www.rockband.com/barnight/

There's one I'm gathering together in the Seattle area(heads up for anyone in that area). More info to come.

Ooh, that sounds fun. Details would be great!

edit: highest DLC I bought on that list is even flow at #15, as part of the whole ten album. looking at only 'single songs' i purchased, it comes down to piece of my heart at #77.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Now I'm curious as to how many of those I purchased...

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, I didn't realize Alien Antfarms version of Smooth Criminal was released. My fiance will love that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I count 70. Including eight of the top ten.

The RB Forums post includes a 'top 20 per month' breakdown, too. Rather depressing when you don't see a favourite on any of the lists.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Blink-182 and Flobots beat Queen that month? Nice 8-)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I bet that's mainly because a Queen 10-pack costs a shitload (like $20 or something), whereas Flobots is like, "Hey, I remember that song and it's cheap, so I'll impulse buy it."

If you look at the top packs of 2009, Queen is right up near the top, despite only being released a couple of months ago.

Surprisingly, Pearl Jam's Ten is the second highest pack.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png