As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

internet comedy

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's interesting to hear what people think about Cracked three or four years after it was pointlesswasteoftime.com

Yeah, David Wong ran PWOT for like six years and then got offered major bucks to become cracked.com. There's a reason for it: the comedy style that he, John Cheese, and Jay Pinkerton developed was something really unique. It was self-deprecating and sarcastic as hell. Where you had guys like Maddox pretending to be really actually mad at people for the lulz, Wong and Co. would pretend to be mad for the sole purpose of making themselves look like idiots, and cramming some fantastic jokes in there in the process.

Now you've got every writer at Cracked mimicking the same format.

Wong is most well known for John Dies at the End, which had the opposite problem: what started out as a blatant parody of online horror writing became a serious thing that had the trademark jokes but also had some real substance. Wasn't there some other online guy whose parody of ridiculous sci-fi got him a genuine publishing deal that turned into a pretty okay book series?

The PWOT forums were a comedy goldmine, and some of the Cracked staff, at least in the first year or so, were former PWOT forum denizens. I left shortly after the merger when the forum became inundated with new members in the space of months, each one thinking he was on the razor's edge of humor. I was never that funny, I just enjoyed being ridiculed every time I said anything by some of the finest comedy minds on the internet.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Pretty cool that Donald Glover from Derrick Comedy is now in Community.

He's great too.

admanb on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's interesting to hear what people think about Cracked three or four years after it was pointlesswasteoftime.com

Yeah, David Wong ran PWOT for like six years and then got offered major bucks to become cracked.com. There's a reason for it: the comedy style that he, John Cheese, and Jay Pinkerton developed was something really unique. It was self-deprecating and sarcastic as hell. Where you had guys like Maddox pretending to be really actually mad at people for the lulz, Wong and Co. would pretend to be mad for the sole purpose of making themselves look like idiots, and cramming some fantastic jokes in there in the process.

Wong is most well known for John Dies at the End, which had the opposite problem: what started out as a blatant parody of online horror writing became a serious thing that had the trademark jokes but also had some real substance. Wasn't there some other online guy whose parody of ridiculous sci-fi got him a genuine publishing deal that turned into a pretty okay book series?

The PWOT forums were a comedy goldmine, and some of the Cracked staff, at least in the first year or so, were former PWOT forum denizens. I left shortly after the merger when the forum became inundated with new members in the space of months, each one thinking he was on the razor's edge of humor. I was never that funny, I just enjoyed being ridiculed every time I said anything by some of the finest comedy minds on the internet.

I've been a fan of Wong and PWOT for years and those gentlemen are the masters of comedy with substance.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    admanb wrote: »

He's great too.
    He also is/was a writer for 30 Rock.

His Corkiness on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "As the spirit wanes, the form appears"

RichardTauber on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    admanb wrote: »

He's great too.
    He also is/was a writer for 30 Rock.

i'm simultaneously insanely jealous and extremely happy for him

writing with tina fey!

Casual Eddy on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    College Humor is a complete hit or miss for me.

Roughly half their skits completely fall flat. They're simple, basic generic college jokes that usually talk about the same generic college stereotypes and run far too long.

Then there are the skits that are absolutely brilliant. I mean, god damn, look at this masterpiece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaWHR1SFhE

And a good chunck of them are like these. So it's a little like playing russian roulette.

As for internet humor itself, I used to love that stuff when I was in middle school and early high school, but now I can't stand most of it. What bugs me are the people who build their entire sense of humor around things like memes or internet shit like boxxy(?) and whatnot.

Have anyone actually talked with those people in real life? Horrifying.

Godfather on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    saying an internet meme phrase out loud robs it of all its humor.

the internet needs its dimension of silence

Sam on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know a person like that. I'll keep it that simple in case he starts reading this forum again.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    College Humor is a complete hit or miss for me.

Roughly half their skits completely fall flat. They're simple, basic generic college jokes that usually talk about the same generic college stereotypes and run far too long.

Then there are the skits that are absolutely brilliant. I mean, god damn, look at this masterpiece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaWHR1SFhE

And a good chunck of them are like these. So it's a little like playing russian roulette.

As for internet humor itself, I used to love that stuff when I was in middle school and early high school, but now I can't stand most of it. What bugs me are the people who build their entire sense of humor around things like memes or internet shit like boxxy(?) and whatnot.

Have anyone actually talked with those people in real life? Horrifying.

hah! nifty, that chubby guy is in an awesome improv group. glad to see him doing something else nifty.

Casual Eddy on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010

Which is funny because Cracked Magazine has never been especially good. It always suffered by comparison to Mad.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I know a person like that. I'll keep it that simple in case he starts reading this forum again.

It's nexus isn't it?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I disagree about the idea that memes can't be funny if spoken aloud. It's all in the delivery, as with 95% of all comedy.
    They're simple, basic generic college jokes that usually talk about the same generic college stereotypes and run far too long.

Got any examples? For me, College Humor has outgrown its name, as it doesn't seem to be humor fixated all that much on the college experience specifically. Especially when you later admit about half their skits are centered around basic nerd shit like "Tetris God."

Although one could argue that sitting around playing video games is a large part of the college experience.

Fatboy Roberts on
    edited January 2010
    Any of the POV videos they post.

Also the tetris video is an example off a good skit, not a video game thing.

Godfather on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I disagree about the idea that memes can't be funny if spoken aloud. It's all in the delivery, as with 95% of all comedy.
    They're simple, basic generic college jokes that usually talk about the same generic college stereotypes and run far too long.

Got any examples? For me, College Humor has outgrown its name, as it doesn't seem to be humor fixated all that much on the college experience specifically. Especially when you later admit about half their skits are centered around basic nerd shit like "Tetris God."

Although one could argue that sitting around playing video games is a large part of the college experience.

Yeah, it's hard to be about the college experience when at least one of the sketch comedy groups (Elephant Larry) is 30 or 31, depending on the member.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Or maybe college just isn't that funny anymore.

ಠ_ರೃ on
    edited January 2010
    Any of the POV videos they post.

Also the tetris video is an example off a good skit, not a video game thing.

Just checked the front page - most of the original vids, as enlightenedbum just pointed out, aren't specifically college at all. Although they still have more than a few of those old re-linked/re-hosted lolvids you can find at about 30 other sites and youtube up.

And I know what you meant re: the Tetris skit, but most of the good skits don't have shit to do with College, is what I'm saying. It's more pop-culture absurdism. Movies, Video Games, etc.

Fatboy Roberts on
    edited January 2010
    Oh no, they're there all right. In fact those videos probably outnumber the original content on a five-to-one ratio, they're just not prominently featured as the others.

Godfather on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While we're mentioning internet comedy, you have to at least give a nod towards the niche produced shows that are too narrow focus to have ever made it through the traditional channels, but are really flourishing on a small dedicated audience online. Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog from Whedon, and ever farther out there videogame stuff like Red vs Blue (which has started to drag, but the first few seasons are sidesplittingly good), The Legend of Neil, or The Guild (which doesn't do anything for me, but apparently a few million people really like).

werehippy on
    edited January 2010
    the guild is awful

Sam on
    edited January 2010
    The only thing good about the guild was that Do You want to Date my Avatar music video

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I found it creepy. The video and the show. Re: the show, the bit when she left the kids in the car, I was like HURGH WHAT! Maybe it hit home too hard because dammit I will be the bestest father ever some day.

I can see where it is funny, it is just not funny to me is all.

Anyway internet comedy is good, except where it isn't funny and/or is poorly produced. Youtube is a rich mine, but like any mine, you get a lot of dross with the gold. Get someone else to prospect for you, is my advice.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
    edited January 2010
    The only thing good about the guild was that Do You want to Date my Avatar music video

I.......

hrm

I'm gonna chalk that one up to personal taste.

Godfather on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I do like that you can do things like Yacht Rock online. That shit would never pass on TV; the music rights alone would be ridiculous. And who do you market it to?
    Aaaaaaaaand now I have to watch them all again. Oh well.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited January 2010
    "I'm Hollywood Steve! You caught me becoming estranged from my spouse."

Fatboy Roberts on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is not enough love on these boards for something that greatly amuses me (about 80% of the time)...

five second films.

Some are really swing-and-miss, but others are GOLDEN.

Don't Thinko De Mayo, Changeling, and a lot of others are AMAZING. And each film is five seconds (literally, except for their earlier work) so you don't loose too much time. Plus there is usually a LOT packed into there, so the ones you like you watch over again to see things you missed.

oh yea, Bottles for Breakfast is amazing as well.

Arch on
    edited January 2010

I.......

hrm

I'm gonna chalk that one up to personal taste.

It was a catchy song.

ಠ_ರೃ on
    edited January 2010
    It was pretty generic stuff. I don't watch The Guild, though -- because I thought it was bad -- so I'm sure I'm missing the point.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    the guild is awful

So its not just me? I swear geeks only watch it for the red head.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    Too bad she is leaving the guild.

ಠ_ರೃ on
    edited January 2010
    Too bad she is leaving the guild.

Well I'm sure the Sears commercials are helping her career take off.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, it's hard to be about the college experience when at least one of the sketch comedy groups (Elephant Larry) is 30 or 31, depending on the member.

Aloof English Graduate Students?

mrt144 on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I liked the Guild. I thought the last season finale was pretty funny.

Yar on
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    the guild is awful

i imagine you'd find it appealing if you were actively involved in an mmo guild. sometimes weak humor is carried by people being able to place themselves in the situation.

see also: family sitcoms

Sam on
    edited January 2010
    the guild is awful

i imagine you'd find it appealing if you were actively involved in an mmo guild. sometimes weak humor is carried by people being able to place themselves in the situation.

Counterpoint- I play MMO's all the time, and it was too much like "Nerdy MMO players do this, normal people do this"

anyway- you guys looked at five second films yet? they seriously need love from these boards. So many obscure videogame references and nerdy humor.

Arch on
    edited January 2010
    the guild is awful

I guess. For me I just hate comedy that relies upon you to be in on the geek joke. It's like PA creates memes, bad comedy just uses them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    5secondfilms

I hit the random button 10 times.

Seven of them weren't funny, two of them made no sense, one of them was pretty good.

I might try it again sometime.

Page- on
    stream
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    5secondfilms

Seven of them weren't funny, two of them made no sense, one of them was pretty good.

Did you watch the 1401 and Predator ones?

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    5secondfilms

Did you watch the 1401 and Predator ones?

again, try Don't thinko de Mayo and Bottles for breakfast

As well as the one about Sunset riders.

The thing is there is SO MUCH there, and it takes almost no time to enjoy. Thats why i love them.

Arch on
    edited January 2010
    the sad thing is that the guild chick isn't even hot. maybe i'm biased cause of how much of a cunt her character is, but i don't find her attractive.

and i like nerdy girls.

Sam on