As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Fail of the Lich King: [Chat] 3.3

• BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    polloface wrote: »
    Huh, well I didn't exactly intend to finish that off today, but all Outland Heroics are now achieved. Of course, my paladin had already run almost all of those during TBC itself, but that was before the achievement system was implemented. I ported to Area 52 and got changed into a Female Draenei, which was pretty awesome... ran all three Coilfang instances as such before it ran out.

I found out that the first boss in Crypts apparently doesn't do *anything* when he's fought solo, which was interesting to know. Mana-Tombs recorded my only actual wipe when I ran past all the mobs in the Prince's room to try just engaging him... unfortunately, he's linked to every mob in his room. Also, the big rock guy in Mana-Tombs is a fucker with that god damn Crystal Prison eventually made me use LoH. The Prince also ended up being close to the toughest fight with all the magic damage flying around, nearly had to use LoH.

Sethek was uneventful, I was halfway through Shadow Labs when a friend of mine was bored and joined me because I was iffy about Murmur solo. We ended up duoing the rest I needed, Botanica, Arcatraz, Old Hillsbrad, Black Morass and Magister's Terrace. All except Magister's Terrace I bet I could've done solo... might've been able to do it too, just not positive.

MgT is cake once you know how to take the second boss. Kill 2 waves of the sparks then bubble wall the rest and take him out.

Kael on the other hand is a bitch now that LoH is connected to forbearance.

With my friend Boomkin-ing we just nuked them before it was a problem. Kael never even start a Pyro.

You can LoS his Pyro in MGT.

Bikkstah on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Was running around in southern Tanaris today and noticed there is a rather large hole in Uldum's door. How long has it been like that, I wonder? (If you say since release I will feel stupid)

That hole's been there since before Wrath launched. I remember wondering what the hell Uldum was when I leveled my Rogue a year and a half ago.

Senshi on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It has been here for as long as i can remember.

I'm glad they're opening it up, i've been wanting to get inside ever since i first did Uldaman.

quaigy on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can vouch that it's been there since Vanilla WoW, so over half a decade now.

... it's kind of weird to put it in perspective like that.

Edit: at least, as far as I recall. I remember seeing the door and hole and arrows and noticing that the debris was on the outside, which in my mind indicated that likely something was trying to get out. Something *BIG*. I saw this before I got into raids, where the largest world or instance mob I'd seen really wasn't THAT much bigger than my character. I was concerned about facing something so huge.

These days, not so much.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Very weird to think that I (we?) have been playing one game so consistently for so long.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited January 2010
    Not really, considering EQ fans just hit their 12th? anniversary.

Bikkstah on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    polloface wrote: »
    Huh, well I didn't exactly intend to finish that off today, but all Outland Heroics are now achieved. Of course, my paladin had already run almost all of those during TBC itself, but that was before the achievement system was implemented. I ported to Area 52 and got changed into a Female Draenei, which was pretty awesome... ran all three Coilfang instances as such before it ran out.

I found out that the first boss in Crypts apparently doesn't do *anything* when he's fought solo, which was interesting to know. Mana-Tombs recorded my only actual wipe when I ran past all the mobs in the Prince's room to try just engaging him... unfortunately, he's linked to every mob in his room. Also, the big rock guy in Mana-Tombs is a fucker with that god damn Crystal Prison eventually made me use LoH. The Prince also ended up being close to the toughest fight with all the magic damage flying around, nearly had to use LoH.

Sethek was uneventful, I was halfway through Shadow Labs when a friend of mine was bored and joined me because I was iffy about Murmur solo. We ended up duoing the rest I needed, Botanica, Arcatraz, Old Hillsbrad, Black Morass and Magister's Terrace. All except Magister's Terrace I bet I could've done solo... might've been able to do it too, just not positive.

MgT is cake once you know how to take the second boss. Kill 2 waves of the sparks then bubble wall the rest and take him out.

Kael on the other hand is a bitch now that LoH is connected to forbearance.

With my friend Boomkin-ing we just nuked them before it was a problem. Kael never even start a Pyro.

You can LoS his Pyro in MGT.

Really? That *is* interesting to know... if I end up trying to solo MgT in the future for the Hawkstrider, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Dranyth on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

10th. UO is 12.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited January 2010
    Oh, their 11th is in February. Man I was 12 when I started playing that game in beta.

Bikkstah on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Very weird to think that I (we?) have been playing one game so consistently for so long.

It amazes me that I've stuck around with this game for that long. I always imagined I'd quit for good some time before now. Guess I don't have better things to do.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Actually, I'd say people still playing EQ and UO are very, very weird. Probably less so UO than EQ, because UO is substantially different than most MMOs today. Everything EQ1 did other games today do better, and EQ1 looks like utter shit by today's visual standards.

Having never played a MMO for more than a year straight (played UO, EQ, AC, AC2, SB, FFXI, SB, AO, DAOC, CoH for varying lengths of time), it's weird to think that I am still playing this game 5 years later. It's weird to play any game for that long, not the norm.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited January 2010
    Wow. I just realized WoW passwords are not case sensitive. I... don't think I've ever had a piece of passworded software that doesn't do that.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been playing Counter Strike: Source for just as long, actually. Just not as much per day as WoW.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Wow. I just realized WoW passwords are not case sensitive. I... don't think I've ever had a piece of passworded software that doesn't do that.

It's probably a support issue so they don't get waves of morons complaining that their password doesn't work because they forgot a letter was capitalized from 3 years ago.

Jasconius on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been playing Counter Strike: Source for just as long, actually. Just not as much per day as WoW.

I've been playing some form of counter-strike for longer than WoW... since 2000. WoW I played since beta on and off. more off than on until very recently.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is the download from the european wow site the same as the client download for the US version?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    If I played Counter Strike for more than 3 months at a time I'd die of a stroke.

Day of Defeat? I can do that.

Jasconius on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fodder wrote: »
    Is the download from the european wow site the same as the client download for the US version?
    I think they're seperated into enGB and enUS.

815165 on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The people playing EQ1 now have probably been playing for a very long time and hold (or believe to hold) some kind of status they feel they must maintain. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if there are people out there who simply refuse to shell out a few bucks to buy a system that can run WoW.

SoE adds content on what appears to be a yearly basis, but seriously, after a while, more of the same is....more of the same.

I played EQ1 from release and WoW from release, on my first WoW break I tried going back to WoW and it's a bit like trying to go back to playing the original Pitfall, only minus the nostalgia.

Bloodshed on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Actually, I'd say people still playing EQ and UO are very, very weird. Probably less so UO than EQ, because UO is substantially different than most MMOs today. Everything EQ1 did other games today do better, and EQ1 looks like utter shit by today's visual standards.

Having never played a MMO for more than a year straight (played UO, EQ, AC, AC2, SB, FFXI, SB, AO, DAOC, CoH for varying lengths of time), it's weird to think that I am still playing this game 5 years later. It's weird to play any game for that long, not the norm.

5 years? Thats not *that* old, even in video game terms.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shit bitches, I still play X-Com and Masters of Magic.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Considering that some of my fondest gaming memories came from the era of the 386-Pentium 1, I'm no stranger to old games. Also, am now feeling old. But appreciating a game over 5-10 years old (hai 2 u X-Com) isn't the same as having literal months or years of time spent in said game over the past 5'ish years.

Which might be a touch pedantic, and thus a sign that it's time for lunch/dinner. Lunner? :?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Considering that some of my fondest gaming memories came from the era of the 386-Pentium 1, I'm no stranger to old games. Also, am now feeling old. But appreciating a game over 5-10 years old (hai 2 u X-Com) isn't the same as having literal months or years of time spent in said game over the past 5'ish years.

Which might be a touch pedantic, and thus a sign that it's time for lunch/dinner. Lunner? :?

The official term is Lupper.

Bloodshed on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I had no idea about this. My roommate just tried it as well.

Huh.

Joeslop on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Well, that was an eventful evening. 5/13 Ulduar hard mode achievements for the protodrake done.

Echo on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Joeslop wrote: »

Huh.

The mysteries of hacked accounts suddenly becomes less mysterious.

jackal on
    edited January 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Joeslop wrote: »

Huh.

The mysteries of hacked accounts suddenly becomes less mysterious.

No, not really, because anyone making a concerted effort to steal WoW passwords isn't retarded enough to brute force them.

Jasconius on
    edited January 2010
    So, I just finished SM Cathedral on my Rogue. The party has been kind of... not so hot. Paladin tank who is obviously used to soloing as Ret, knockback-happy Mage, Hunter who can't control his pet, etc. We do okay until we get into the cathedral proper, and after a few pulls we're faced with Mograine. Note that neither side wing has been cleared. You can probably see where this is going.

Paladin: "wanna do mograine or the undead guy first?"
    Me: "Uh... Don't do that. Pulling him pulls both of the side wings."
    Mage: "They don't do that anymore. Just pull."
    Paladin: "Durr, okay!"

Paladin pulls, group wipes. Aside from me, since I got the hell out of Dodge.

Such a stark contrast with the 20-minute Uldaman I blazed through right before.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Question:

How does one sit upon a flying mount above Dalaran and cast fireballs down upon the ground? Sometimes 5-6 at a time? I couldn't find anything in the WoW Item DB or any TCG loot that would let you do this.... any ideas?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, that was an eventful evening. 5/13 Ulduar hard mode achievements for the protodrake done.

I'm trying really, really hard to hate you to death over the Internet.

No one goes to Ulduar anymore on my server. I contacted every single decent guild, asking if they'd be interested to sell a Rusted protodrake run and / or Starcaller, and no one answered positively.

I'm the saddest panda.

quaigy on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Sure I've been playing WoW for four years or something, but I've given almost 20 to Civilization.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

I'm trying really, really hard to hate you to death over the Internet.

No one goes to Ulduar anymore on my server. I contacted every single decent guild, asking if they'd be interested to sell a Rusted protodrake run and / or Starcaller, and no one answered positively.

I'm the saddest panda.

People do on Windrunner you just have to pay far out the ass for the privilege

Brainleech on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need to kick my guild into getting this done. We only need Firefighter, Vezax, and Yogg. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »

It's probably a support issue so they don't get waves of morons complaining that their password doesn't work because they forgot a letter was capitalized from 3 years ago.

I had a job in college where we ended up just doing this. Some of the sales computers had capslock turned on at boot and their built-in keyboards didn't have a way to turn it back off. It ended up being a lot easier than dealing with nine people a day who couldn't log into the computers on the front counter because it was in lowercase, and then deal with them again when they tried to get on the back room computers and couldn't because now capslock wasn't on.

As for hacked accounts: If this accounts for a dozen stolen accounts out of the hundreds that probably get it every month I'd be surprised. Even against a brute force attack, caps don't add the complexity that odd characters do, because most dictionary attacks try capitalization - it'll slow them down, but a couple $@`%;s will stop them cold.

The vast majority (if not basically all) of stolen accounts are keyloggers (2 minutes on the forums will display that pretty well), phishing (all the cataclysm beta invites and fake account suspension emails), and powerleveling services that like to come back a couple months later and see if the password got changed or just don't give the account back in the first place.

Hevach on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if your account got hacked its because you do not have an authenticator

regardless of what the actual nature of the hack is, lack of an authenticator permitted it.

Dhalphir on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh wow the Armory has a lot of awesome statistics.

Largest Hit Delt: 21648.

I miss you Black Wing Lair I really really do.

On another note is questing the fastest way to level? I can only seem to quest when I get into a groove for it and any other time I have no desire to quest. Which is really disappointing because this Mage deserves to get to 80. First character and all.

EDIT: That Damage score isn't from BWL. They don't have the stats from Vanilla I forgot, dammit.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The fastest way to level is to Quest while putting yourself in the LFG queue for either Battlegrounds or random dungeons, whichever you prefer, questing until the queue pops, enter the battlegrounds/dungeon, receive xp and a nice side-activity to questing, then repeat.

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The fastest way to level is to Quest while putting yourself in the LFG queue for either Battlegrounds or random dungeons, whichever you prefer, questing until the queue pops, enter the battlegrounds/dungeon, receive xp and a nice side-activity to questing, then repeat.

Hmm it may have to be dungeons. I actually forgot about that feature to be honest. I would go into BG's but the battlegroup im in well. Lets say winning is a mythical beast.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited January 2010
    you don't need to win to get good experience in levelling Alterac Valley.

just taking down a tower is worth the same experience as a single quest, three to four towers per game is good investment.

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    you don't need to win to get good experience in levelling Alterac Valley.

just taking down a tower is worth the same experience as a single quest, three to four towers per game is good investment.

Hmm. This is amazing information I thank you good sir.

I just leveled and hit 71 so now I'm stuck in the bottom rung and can't do a whole lot. However you have rekindled my interest in playing.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.