As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bigman thread! Post yer quads!

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    big l wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    this is probably going to be the pussiest post ever but here goes

i got wii fit plus for christmas and it has routines that you can set up, to go from one exercise to another

i am wondering if anyone here could help me put together a good program for helping me lose my holiday weight and get better muscle tone, basically the right exercises in the right order as opposed to me randomly picking from their presets

any takers or should i search the internet for answers

Diet is 95% of losing weight so do whatever Wii Fit stuff is fun and eat better. You should really join a gym and lift barbells though.

i only need to lose like five pounds but it's more that i want to swap fat for muscle, so weight is not my big issue

no money for a gym, alas, but there are a bunch of strength training exercises for the fit and i can just do pushups if nothing else

guess i'll just fiddle with their presets until i find stuff i like

Quoth on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    you're not going to put on muscle using wii fit

sorry

Sunday_Assassin on
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    buy some large water decanters. Lift them

It's going to be more effective than wii fit

hectorse on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    The jogging argument I was making wasn't that fatigue leads to poor form, rather that the poor form that occurs due to high fatigue has relatively little impact on long term muscle memory. Neurologically the end of your marathon did little to alter your permanent form. The same goes for high vol lifts in my experience.

Given that core musculature won't have developed yet due to his being a novice, I still wouldn't start with heavy loads. You need to start general before specific or else he will be missing key ingredients. Sure he could gain strength faster by jumping in and blasting out some sets of 5, however long term development will be stagnated. He is raw enough that he will get gains out of any training from both the physical and neurological sides, so why not progress through the full spectrum via a good periodized program and make sure everything gets hit?

The best way to develop core musculature is to squat and deadlift for sets of 5. And hypertrophy will happen much faster when he's squatting 250# instead of 150#, so strength is of immediate importance. But the question is more one of the importance of periodization for novices. When you're that untrained, you don't need to periodize. You can get better at everything at the same time. Sets of 5 are much more unbiased that sets of 15. Sets of 15 are heavily biased towards the hypertrophy side of the spectrum. Sets of 1 are heavily biased towards the strength/neurological side. Sets of 5 are the happy medium. Some who is squatting <200# is weak (assuming a dude of reasonable health, etc), no question about it, and is untrained enough that sets of 5 are able to help improve everything at once. At some point, one will reach the point at which this no longer works, and one will have to periodize their training into periods of higher and lower reps of whatever different exercises. At that time, a program like the one Nogs is doing will be appropriate. Nogs is not at that point. Nogs is untrained enough that he can make progress in strength and hypertrophy both at the same time by doing sets of 5, the intermediate between pure hypertrophy and pure strength training, and take advantage of this opportunity while he is still in a position to do so.

big l on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Welp, it's time to set up the plan for this year. I've been using Wendler's for the basic lifts and made decent gains, but I'm slowing down on the gains and on the bar speed. I'm thinking either doing the advanced Sheiko or going Westside (along with the GPP and implement work).

Just need to figure out which I want to do.

Kakodaimonos on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well, didn't think i'd spark such an active discussion.

Right now I'm pretty much doing mostly squats, deadlifts and row/pulldowns with some abs at the end.

If you are curious to the program I'm following it is from this book. And I suppose you can decide for yourself if it has a good program or not.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/

Not the one for women.

I figure I'm going to run through all steps in this program, then switch to another book/program to help keep my body for adapting too much.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited January 2010

sorry

i guess i am not explaining my goals well?

i am a 120 pound, 5'5" girl but i am more flab than muscle and i want to reverse that

not beef up, just not be so flabby and out of breath all the time

i was going to try couch to 5k again but the fit seemed to have more comprehensive exercises inclusive of aerobic stuff

i guess i am not cool enough to hang here, sorry to bother :(

Quoth on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

sorry

i am a 120 pound, 5'5" girl but i am more flab than muscle and i want to reverse that

i was going to try couch to 5k again but the fit seemed to have more comprehensive exercises inclusive of aerobic stuff

it's not that you're not cool enough, it's that wii fit is pretty much useless for anything other than learning some yoga poses or tracking weight. This would be the answer to anyone using wii fit.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited January 2010

sorry

Please, don't be intimidated!

The reason why people here are advocating the things they do is because they work. Being a woman and doing weights has little to do with "beefing up", in fact, it's quite difficult for a girl to "beef up" and you must really inject yourself some shit before you end up all muscly.

We even have one or two girls around this thread who lift and who you wouldn't imagine they lift weights by their frame and shape.

Your goals are clear, but the answer is also clear: To be in shape you need to do something more than wii fit... sorry :(

hectorse on
    edited January 2010
    my butt and abs hurt from using it last night, so it can't be totally useless

i understand that i may outgrow it eventually but it seems to work fine for what i need right now, and the tracking of stuff keeps me motivated

i used it before to good effect but it was frustrating to constantly stop and select the next exercise, whereas now you can preset everything so it's more fluid

the yoga actually is only okay, i've done yoga classes before and prefer that, but the aerobic stuff is good (for me in my present form, i guess)

but like i said, i guess i am not up to the level of everyone else here so i'll just do my thing

Quoth on
    edited January 2010
    i'm sorry if i sound like a dismissive poop, but i'm trying to work with what i have rather than go spend a bunch of money on other stuff that i am probably not going to use because i am barely physically fit enough to carry a gallon of milk for more than a few minutes

Quoth on
    edited January 2010
    my butt and abs hurt from using it last night, so it can't be totally useless

Anything you do at the moment will get you sore. Soreness is not a good measure of a work out quality.

We ARE giving you good advice on saving money too.

How much does wii-fit costs?

That would have paid yourself some 3 gym months, which is pretty much the standard for results to kick in.

Motivation is extremely high and almost inherent in a well designed program like SS

I begrudgingly started that program some years ago. I just didn't want to get into a gym. Now I can't leave it alone.

Ask Cel about it

hectorse on
    edited January 2010
    i already have the wii fit, which was a christmas present last year, so it costs nothing

i am sorry that i can't afford a gym membership but i need that $25 a month for food

i was going to try couch to 5k again but since i failed so miserably last time i wanted to start slower

seriously i am sorry to have wasted everyone's time, please get back to your own stuff

Quoth on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am probably going to restart C25k so hi5 quoth

Abracadaniel on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i already have the wii fit, which was a christmas present last year, so it costs nothing

i am sorry that i can't afford a gym membership but i need that $25 a month for food

i was going to try couch to 5k again but since i failed so miserably last time i wanted to start slower

seriously i am sorry to have wasted everyone's time, please get back to your own stuff

Quoth, you are starting so slowly that you won't accomplish anything. You would be better off spending the time you take to do wii fit every day cooking very healthy food and cleaning up your diet- you'd almost certainly get more results that way unless your diet is already perfect. Wii fit will do literally nothing for you.

It is a very common novice idea that soreness = good workout. It's a crock of shit. Soreness means you haven't been working out in too long and finally got up and did something. It is absolutely no indication of the QUALITY of the workout, merely that you did something. I am not sore the day after I squat 280 pounds, and BruceLee isn't sore after he squats 400 pounds. Soreness is an indication that you haven't been using the muscles and that is all. The soreness will go away because you're using the muscles, but that doesn't mean you're building any strength or burning many calories, it just means they have adapted to doing 5 pushups instead of none.

Couch-to-5k is a solid goal for you and I really wish you'd try it again. If you want to "start slowly", go half as fast on the program- spend twice as many days at each distance/time/however it works than it says you should. You won't feel as blasted but you'll still get all the results (half as fast). I'll say it again, Wii Fit won't get you ANY results.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was this close to buying these puppies today:
    039_2.jpg

http://www.titansupport.com/products/workout-essentials/footwear/sst-pro-series.html

But then I talked myself out of it. I still need to pay for the $100 membership fee for the IPA meet in Feb. And I also want to get some bands...

Brucelee41042 on
    edited January 2010
    I have been a vegetarian for about two months so I thnk my diet is ok but I am not a dietician so I could be mistaken

last time I tried c25k I was on week one for a month and week two for another month, at which point I started working longer hours and gave up

but I will try it again

YOU HEAR ME

GONNA TRY IT AGAIN

Quoth on
  • SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vegetarian != healthy diet. Make sure you are getting enough proteins and healthy fats and not just having 90% of your calories coming from breads, pastas, and other starches (potatoes, corn, etc).

Spherick on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm done with school now! Wooo! More gym time!

My girlfriend wants to go tonight, which is cool. But fuck me, it is gonna be crowded with the New Year's crowd all up ins.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    New Year's crowds generally stay clear of squat racks, so at least theres that

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited January 2010
    Yea, I love that. My gym had like triple the amount there usually is and almost all of the extra people were using the treadmills, the smith machine, or weird ass curling variations on any kind of machine they could get their hands on. I love having the racks to myself.

Spherick on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My girlfriend wants to go tonight, which is cool. But fuck me, it is gonna be crowded with the New Year's crowd all up ins.
    Spherick wrote: »
    I love having the racks to myself.

:winky:

Peen on
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wooo Quoth good luck and rock it out

today is the first workout of the new year. 365ass2grass

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
    edited January 2010
    Vegetarian != healthy diet. Make sure you are getting enough proteins and healthy fats and not just having 90% of your calories coming from breads, pastas, and other starches (potatoes, corn, etc).

I eat a lot of beans and bean related foods

my black bean burgers are so good and my husband makes the best hummus

I also eat a lot of spinach and yet my biceps are still tiny

popeye misled me

Quoth on
    edited January 2010
    New Year's crowds generally stay clear of squat racks, so at least theres that

Man, I wish.

There's only one squat rack at my gym.

A membership is so damn cheap though.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited January 2010

I eat a lot of beans and bean related foods

my black bean burgers are so good and my husband makes the best hummus

I also eat a lot of spinach and yet my biceps are still tiny

popeye misled me

Man, the holidays totally wrecked my good vegetarian habits.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone tried that p90x thing or whatever it's called

my husband was going to do it

he is in like a hundred times better shape than I am

Quoth on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    It is a very common novice idea that soreness = good workout. It's a crock of shit. Soreness means you haven't been working out in too long and finally got up and did something. It is absolutely no indication of the QUALITY of the workout, merely that you did something. I am not sore the day after I squat 280 pounds, and BruceLee isn't sore after he squats 400 pounds. Soreness is an indication that you haven't been using the muscles and that is all. The soreness will go away because you're using the muscles, but that doesn't mean you're building any strength or burning many calories, it just means they have adapted to doing 5 pushups instead of none.
    Can I once more say that this isn't true in some people's experience. Despite having been pretty solidly weight training for two years or so, I still get brutally sore.

Especially relevant today, because it's back into volume week for me, and I'm going to be in awful pain tonight (having busted ass on squats, bench and t-bar rows this morning).

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

If you're not already in pretty good shape, it will kill you. It's a high-rep bodyweight routine with very little rest in between the sets. The diet is a modified protein/low-carb reduction diet.

Can you do at least 10 pullups and 10 pushups in one set?

Kakodaimonos on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I did it through most of last summer and it was pretty brutal

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2010

If you're not already in pretty good shape, it will kill you. It's a high-rep bodyweight routine with very little rest in between the sets. The diet is a modified protein/low-carb reduction diet.

Can you do at least 10 pullups and 10 pushups in one set?

oh hell no, i am not doing this thing

i think my husband can do that yes, but i will ask him and advise him of your assertion

Quoth on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have been a vegetarian for about two months so I thnk my diet is ok but I am not a dietician so I could be mistaken

last time I tried c25k I was on week one for a month and week two for another month, at which point I started working longer hours and gave up

but I will try it again

YOU HEAR ME

GONNA TRY IT AGAIN

Good for you! :D

Check out the Fit Club thread in H&A for diet advice. If anything it's harder to eat healthy as a vegetarian. I gave it up because I wasn't able to do it. You're probably getting too many carbs and not enough fats and protein, but most people do that.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been vegetarian for about 5 years, and in the gym for 1. Would one of you kindly look at a typical day's diet and tell me if you think I'm getting enough protein? I know this is an h/a type thingy, but I'm scared to venture into new territory. Thanks. Also if any vegetarians want to know more about the stew let me know it is delicious and at the very least I can provide moral support.
    Typical Day of Eating for Vermiculture

Breakfast:
    2 egg omelet with green onions mushrooms tofu(sometimes tofurky) and red onions

Post Breakfast:
    Almonds. Maybe Pistachios if I have them. I dont measure anything out, but I'd wager about 2 cups of nuts between breakfast and noon

Lunch:
    2 cups homemade lentil stew.
    2 string cheeses
    2 cups of salad consisting of carrots and spinach mostly, also with some other baby greens
    apple
    I usually but not everyday try to get some super dark chocolate in me during lunch as well, about 2/5 of a bar.

Post Workout: (mon wed friday)
    protein shake 1 scoop, banana, and nonfat milk I would say about 1.25 liters

Dinner:
    I dont usually eat dinner, but if I do it is usually awful, like an entire frozen pizza or pasta with sauce. I would say I eat dinner once a week and it is either pizza or pasta.

Post Dinner Snack:
    Peanut butter on celery if I have it. I try to get about two spoonfuls of peanut butter regardless

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Solvent wrote: »
    Can I once more say that this isn't true in some people's experience. Despite having been pretty solidly weight training for two years or so, I still get brutally sore.

Especially relevant today, because it's back into volume week for me, and I'm going to be in awful pain tonight (having busted ass on squats, bench and t-bar rows this morning).

If you are lifting low vol and high weight, soreness should never be an issue. However if you are doing anything greater than 75% 1RM for sets higher than 6, you will undoubtedly feel some soreness or stiffness the next day or two. It has more to do with the combination of fatigue with a high amount of muscular tension

Jyardana on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you are lifting low vol and high weight, soreness should never be an issue. However if you are doing anything greater than 75% 1RM for sets higher than 6, you will undoubtedly feel some soreness or stiffness the next day or two. It has more to do with the combination of fatigue with a high amount of muscular tension

I was wondering this exact thing. Friday night I tried my hand at the bench press, doing the most weight I thought I could do 3x5 of without failing, as well as whatever the chest workout machine is (sorry, but I couldn't stay away from the machines, though in my defense I was stacking as many plates on them as I thought I could lift, and sticking to 3x5!).

It's Monday night now, and I haven't felt major soreness all weekend. I was wondering if I'd done something wrong.

Hamurabi on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Solvent wrote: »

Yep, this gels with my experience. My rep ranges tend to be 4x8 for a week, then 5x5 for a week, then 4x3 for a week and then a deload week.
    4x8 and 5x5 on 'big' exercises leave me hells of sore, so that's two out of every four weeks I experience quite a bit of post-workout ouch.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    edited January 2010
    I've been going to the gym for almost a year now and I still get sore after heavy squats and deadlifts.

Spherick on
    edited January 2010
    it was too cold outside to run so i did more wii fit I AM SORRY

but i figure it is better than nothing and i am even more sore than before

Quoth on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been vegetarian for about 5 years, and in the gym for 1. Would one of you kindly look at a typical day's diet and tell me if you think I'm getting enough protein? I know this is an h/a type thingy, but I'm scared to venture into new territory. Thanks. Also if any vegetarians want to know more about the stew let me know it is delicious and at the very least I can provide moral support.
    Typical Day of Eating for Vermiculture

Breakfast:
    2 egg omelet with green onions mushrooms tofu(sometimes tofurky) and red onions

Post Breakfast:
    Almonds. Maybe Pistachios if I have them. I dont measure anything out, but I'd wager about 2 cups of nuts between breakfast and noon

Lunch:
    2 cups homemade lentil stew.
    2 string cheeses
    2 cups of salad consisting of carrots and spinach mostly, also with some other baby greens
    apple
    I usually but not everyday try to get some super dark chocolate in me during lunch as well, about 2/5 of a bar.

Post Workout: (mon wed friday)
    protein shake 1 scoop, banana, and nonfat milk I would say about 1.25 liters

Dinner:
    I dont usually eat dinner, but if I do it is usually awful, like an entire frozen pizza or pasta with sauce. I would say I eat dinner once a week and it is either pizza or pasta.

Post Dinner Snack:
    Peanut butter on celery if I have it. I try to get about two spoonfuls of peanut butter regardless

Have you worked out total calories for that? Because it looks like way too little food at first glance.

If you're not drinking the shake every day you are almost certainly not getting enough protein.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    people that are not getting enough protein in their diet often lack the right amount of chili

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
This discussion has been closed.