As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Awwww... :3

Kochikens on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yessssssssssss

RubberAC on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sonic wrote: »
    The early beginnings of something...
    040110milesbeginnings.jpg

REALLY digging the pictures. Nice line work. Is this as a personal self promotion project? if it is, i'd consider changing the 24 year olds design a little. At first i thought it was Nathan Drake from the Uncharted games. I think its the face/hair.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited January 2010
    doodle using 100 brush

2hhonpi.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's Awakward Made-up Kung Fu Pose Man:
    kungfu.png

I don't think he can hold that for long.

MKR on
  • J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    w00t

You know whats also weird...You almost used my real name...off bY one letter.

I love your style mang.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Didn't you do some drawings of the little kid, with some kind of monster sidekick, a few years back? I seem to remember that. Looks neat, I've always enjoyed your style.

And here are some loose, practice sketches.
    8zqvki.jpg
    30arn29.jpg
    wiv8qq.jpg
    The pose I did for the dude in my last finished drawing bugged me the more I looked at it, and felt it ruined what was otherwise not a terrible drawing. As it seems like a pose that I could get a lot of use out of when drawing action/fighting comics, I wanted to take another crack at it. I think a strong line of action across the shoulders, leading up to the punching fist, makes it looks a lot more dynamic than how I did it originally.

Munch on
    edited January 2010
    pracvalve_copy.jpg

I used a picture I found of this doll thingy for refrence. Not much help with facial sturcture, but I loved the values of the picture and had to practice it. 1hour practice. Gotta try and do more 1-2hour studies a day. Fuck I just gotta study.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
    edited January 2010
    Something i've learnt recently is that, if you're going to do a colour image, and starting with a greyscale value block in, try not to put too much detail in. I did a bunch of character concepts for uni, fully detailed in greyscale tones, and then i filter colour through, areas are too saturated or too dull and it requires paintover using actual colour anyway.
    Its best to block it in basic, filter your colours through (establishing a basic colour paletee) and then paint all the details using full colour.

Hope that makes sense.

Nice picture though

winter_combat_knight on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so i need help
    i've never done environments, but i've seen you guys do it in greyscale first so i'm trying that
    so uh
    i don't know what to do with the ceiling at all ... and i dont know how to make the water under the tables (you sit on the edge, legs under the table with your feet in the water underneath) affected by the light streaming through the window
    environment1-jan04.jpg

mully on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every good civilized galaxy needs a pretty blue alien race.

bluegirl.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

bluegirl.jpg

good lord man

how do you come up with these colors?

tell me!

GurtPerk on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    doot doot doot

IMG_3685.jpg

Small part of a larger picture that I'll take in better light tomorrow.

lyrium on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    mully wrote: »
    so i need help
    i've never done environments, but i've seen you guys do it in greyscale first so i'm trying that
    so uh
    i don't know what to do with the ceiling at all ... and i dont know how to make the water under the tables (you sit on the edge, legs under the table with your feet in the water underneath) affected by the light streaming through the window
    environment1-jan04.jpg

Honestly, to start with you should be starting out with pure line on paper, using a ruler just getting the basic perspective down solidly. Dealing with shading and stuff right off the bat may be ok in an landscape where things can afford to be a little wishy-washy, but in a well-lit architectural piece, you're just going to end up driving yourself crazy in the long run trying to fix things piecemeal. Architectural stuff is generally pretty unforgiving with the perspective, so don't try to rush it.

Obviously you know enough to not be totally off on first glance, but you still have things like the window sill line being parallel to the floor, rather than going towards the vanishing point. It's difficult to tell how the pillar next to the door is supposed to function- the door looks, at first glance, like it's off on the right side of the room, but the pillars on each side are equidistant from the door. Is the pillar, then, meant to be in the corner or the room, or off to the side? There's no real corner indicated where the corner should be according to the established perspective away from the pillar, so it makes the entire area really confusing.

Mully_perspective.jpg

I know going and being anal about this sort of stuff seems duller than just going in and plopping things in, but the only people that can get away with doing this sort of thing by freehanding it are the people that did their homework and did it the boring way first.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2010
    Bacon - You're a legend for giving advice.

As for environements, i remember reading on conceptart.org to use reference photos of similar angles to what you want to create in your environment, and then apply your creative elements to it. That way you're practicing your realistic observation and also your creativity.

the pic spoilered is an environemtn im working on. Not saying its good (:)) but its an example of getting a few ideas of composition and details from references.
    15euz9l.jpg

look up cathedrals and churches. They have awesome lighting and colours.

2n1e5n6.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ahh thanks bacon - i actually used perspective lines, but i dont know how i forgot the bottom of the window sill...
    i sketched it all out first, then painted over and my digital-paint overflowed i suppose..
    and that's the other part i hadn't really put in/indicated; the room is sort of like a 'cave' so the walls would eventually be made rocky (and i was thinking of putting pointy cave rocks hanging from the ceiling).. that being said, the door was meant to be in the middle and i just didn't think about it enough i guess :S

ps - guess i should've used a perspective point at the top to show height too argharhghatgh. learning!

mully on
    edited January 2010
    I guess this is why it's called learning:
    offthegrid.png

I forgot to make sure things line up when zoomed in. :rotate:

But at least I figured out how to draw non-blocky things in perspective. There's probably a great tutorial on it that I've missed, but I never could find one.

MKR on
  • edited January 2010
    mkr, if you look at the loomis books linked in the tuts thread, there is one called figure drawing for all it's worth and it has a bit of a run down on how to do non-blocky stuff. You basically consider what the object would look like if you projected it orthographically on each face of a block and then sort of extrude that backward. I'm not explaining it terribly well, I'm afraid.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
    edited January 2010
    mkr, if you look at the loomis books linked in the tuts thread, there is one called figure drawing for all it's worth and it has a bit of a run down on how to do non-blocky stuff. You basically consider what the object would look like if you projected it orthographically on each face of a block and then sort of extrude that backward. I'm not explaining it terribly well, I'm afraid.

I printed that out ages ago and it's sitting in a box in my closet. To the closetmobile!

Though that sounds suspiciously close to what I ended up doing to make the curved thing.

MKR on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Although, I would first do due diligence and learn doing exhaustive perspective by hand as Bacon shows, theres no harm in using something like Sketchup as a perspective aid later.

GurtPerk wrote: »

good lord man

how do you come up with these colors?

tell me!

A full recommended breakfast of Pigment-Os! I really just try to get the most pure colors into my paintings as possible. When you take a capital R red at plop it down in a painting it will really look odd at first. You really have to have it bounce around and have color shifts here and there to make it work.

(I do not actually recommend eating oils. I've done it accidentally and they taste awful.)

Wassermelone on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suck, suck, and more suck.

suit.jpg

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Only two buttons on that suit, and the guy can't even bother to button them both? Now that's fucking lazy.

Buckwolfe on
    edited January 2010
    Don't knock the unibutton jacket.

MKR on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

(I do not actually recommend eating oils. I've done it accidentally and they taste awful.)

You heard it folks, eat your cadmium to grow up big and strong like Wasser

Scosglen on
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Don't knock the unibutton jacket.

Dude needs to pop his collar if you ask me.

Buckwolfe on
    edited January 2010
    Whoa, dudes, whoa.

Mes3 on
    edited January 2010
    Whoa!

You just blew my mind, man.

Buckwolfe on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    mes, I see a good bit of improvement when I catch one of your posts. And while you are still lacking in structure, you've got a pretty decent sense for line weight that I hope you hold on to as you develop.

Iruka on
    edited January 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    mes, I see a good bit of improvement when I catch one of your posts. And while you are still lacking in structure, you've got a pretty decent sense for line weight that I hope you hold on to as you develop.

Thanks!

I know I have a lot to work on. I really need to work on some studies and actually draw for more than a couple hours (if that) every other day. I wish I took drawing a bit more seriously, but I don't. I feel like thats almost an insult to some of the people who post here.

Mes3 on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    Only two buttons on that suit, and the guy can't even bother to button them both? Now that's fucking lazy.

You're only supposed to button one

You button two of them if there's three, one if there's two.

1zztzn.jpg

Tam on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is me, just doodling. Trying to get a feel for the tablet while I muse over Bridgeman.

doodling.jpg

In hindsight, I should have raised that mannequin's leg up a bit rather than pushing it back.
    Not sure why I drew it that way. It's plain as day now.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks like you're coming along quite nicely, DDV!
    Also, Tam, lookin' good, though his neck looks kinda stiff.

Nic on
    edited January 2010
    And yes. That is what my handwriting actually looks like.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited January 2010
    It's "kinda weild," I must say.

Nic on
    edited January 2010
    The weirdest part is the near complete lack of friction.

MKR on
    edited January 2010
    See how my 'r' just has the slightest curve? I hate when I do that.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    started a concept for a monastery based on Chittorgarh Fortress in India.

Bit off way more than I can chew.

mvi0ew.jpg

Tam on
    edited January 2010
    It's not so bad, just keep challenging yourself!
    Maybe work out how to do the small details on it, and then come back to it later.

Nic on
  • AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've never posted in the doodle thread. Hi. I'm posting in the doodle thread because my own thread is centuries old and made up of broken links, and this little piece I wanna share isn't really worth making a new one.

SPOILER'D FOR NSFW
    ego.png

AgentofOrange on
    edited January 2010
    BOTP
    Tam wrote: »
    started a concept for a monastery based on Chittorgarh Fortress in India.

Bit off way more than I can chew.

mvi0ew.jpg
    I've never posted in the doodle thread. Hi. I'm posting in the doodle thread because my own thread is centuries old and made up of broken links, and this little piece I wanna share isn't really worth making a new one.

SPOILER'D FOR NSFW
    ego.png

That's pretty fly in a way. I would hang that up on mah wall.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
This discussion has been closed.