As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[INTEREST] AH's The Republic of Rome

narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Critical Failures
RoRBox.jpg

I owned this game awhile back, and it looked really interesting, but had no one to play with. Recently had the idea to try to play here, with friends.

Before I went through the expense and trouble of figuring out the rules to play via thread, I wanted to see if anyone was interested.

Here is the gameboard's linky: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513

Basically, you take the part of a family of senators in Republican Rome. The idea of the game is to work together enough to overcome various crisis facing the Republic, not become too much of a threat to other players for them to unite against you, and yet come out ahead by the end of the game.

Off the top of my head, I'd think we'd need a GM (prolly me) who had the game, and sent everyone their info (cards and such).

Beware, this game, like most of the worthwhile AH games is complicated.

I love complicated.

Anyway, tell me if you're interested, if you've ever played, and level of interest. We'll go from there.

narvinye on

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love the idea of this game, but I've resigned myself that I'll never convince five other people to commit to it.

I'm very interested, but I haven't actually played it.

PolloDiablo on
  • SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's little complicated things like this I love, I'm interested despite having no experience with it.

SpectralSpork on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is this the game where you each control a bunch of senators, and can bribe other factions' senators to your side,manufacture and sell weapons etc?

If so, I've played it most of the way through once, and it seemed quite fun. I'd be up for it PbP, certainly!

El Skid on
  • narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, quicker response than I expected, will start the work on getting it ready to play.

narvinye on
  • narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    Is this the game where you each control a bunch of senators, and can bribe other factions' senators to your side,manufacture and sell weapons etc?

If so, I've played it most of the way through once, and it seemed quite fun. I'd be up for it PbP, certainly!

And yes, this is that game.

narvinye on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll play

Hermenegilde on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    narvinye wrote: »
    Wow, quicker response than I expected, will start the work on getting it ready to play.

Yeah, we like these sort of games around here, as evidenced by our recent history:

Apple to Apples (unfortunately, the first attempt has petered out)
    Arkham Horror
    Battlestar Galactica (to infinity and beyond)
    The Big Idea
    Pandemic (x2)
    Race for the Galaxy
    Roborally

Plus they run Diplomacy over in one of the other forums (we should do that sometime).

Anyway, I haven't played before, but it sounds interesting. Put me down as a reserve, ready to serve but willing to step aside if you get enough interest from others. I'll be watching it, regardless.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    narvinye wrote: »

Yeah, we like these sort of games around here, as evidenced by our recent history:

Apple to Apples (unfortunately, the first attempt has petered out)
    Arkham Horror
    Battlestar Galactica (to infinity and beyond)
    The Big Idea
    Pandemic (x2)
    Race for the Galaxy
    Roborally

Plus they run Diplomacy over in one of the other forums (we should do that sometime).

Anyway, I haven't played before, but it sounds interesting. Put me down as a reserve, ready to serve but willing to step aside if you get enough interest from others. I'll be watching it, regardless.

Diplomacy. Id go for that too.

Hermenegilde on
    edited January 2010
    I was just looking back through my old subscriptions for boardgame PbPs and came across this. Any chance it's going to happen, or have you decided not to try it?

Darian on
    edited January 2010
    I did. But the players kept quitting or not sending their orders.

Hermenegilde on
    edited January 2010
    I did. But the players kept quitting or not sending their orders.

I meant the Republic of Rome in the OP, not Diplomacy. I was part of the Diplomacy game (which did sadly peter out).

Darian on
    edited January 2010
    Right.
    Hmmm.
    I must have thought this looked interesting.

Hermenegilde on