As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AC’s Big Book of Photos: Planning Extravaganza!

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I...uhhhh, hope this hasn't died.

I'll have to assume it's a holiday lull.

Folks start putting some photos in the group!

Uncle Long on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I added some, just a few minutes ago!

To be honest, I have not made time to shoot for this theme yet, due to the holidays. I'll probably be adding some more near the deadline. :-D

erisian pope on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sorry, kinda fell off last week. I've been taking a poopload of pics though. Flickr account is in my sig as well.

Prospicience on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I think part of it is the Holidays. I know I havent had a chance to shoot anything in the last few days, but will be remedying that very soon.

muninn on
    edited January 2010
    So are people still working on getting entries into the Flickr group today (the deadline)? Are people still wanting to contribute but want to extend the deadline for submission?

Participation so far looks like:
    anable
    bombardier
    Cokebotle
    CommunistCow
    Cycophant
    Dark Moon
    erisian pope :^:
    Flay
    Flyingman
    goggles
    Jake!
    JAmp5
    mts
    Muncie
    muninn :^:
    Penpal
    Pinch-a-Loaf
    Prospicience
    Sonic
    Uncle Long :^:

... that's not very many :(

erisian pope on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've got to be honest, I thought given the lack of activity on this thread that this had died.

Jake! on
    edited January 2010
    Well, on the 27th Long said he hoped it hadnt died and a few of us responded that it was a lull due to the holidays. I'm hoping that's all it has been.

Assuming this'll pick back up a little steam post-holidays, you think you still might shoot for it?

erisian pope on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Assuming that yeah. I mean, I haven't had a chance to shoot anything more specific than 'I'm going for a walk, I'll take the camera,' for a month or so myself, so I can understand if people are just being tardy.

Muninn: Square is best for photography, imo, when you're mixing landscape and portrait.

Jake! on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Subscriptions were nuked, and most people rely on those to track threads. Maybe a handful of PMs is in order.

MKR on
    edited January 2010
    I'll work on it.

Done. I PMed everyone on the "participating" list to try to get a discussion going here. Stating, among other bits, "I think ideally we should extend the deadline and get everyone into the flickr group and set a new deadline and keep this project going now that the holidays are over."

So what do people think?

erisian pope on
    edited January 2010
    Jake, you are right. I just put together a test magazine on magcloud and the rectangular format was really hard to work with.

Either way, the project is not dead until we decide to kill it. The short deadline was introduced to keep the interest and project momentum going, which obviously failed, so coming up with a new deadline is not a problem. How does 2 weeks sound? :)

What concerns me is lack of interest in even joining the Flickr group, which takes about 2 minutes to do...

muninn on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry I just got pope's pm. I was out of town for a while and wasn't on a computer at all during that time.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited January 2010
    Just so we are clear and since I'm a lazy bitch and don't want to go reading through the thread. The theme is "Aging" ?

CommunistCow on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just so we are clear and since I'm a lazy bitch and don't want to go reading through the thread. The theme is "Aging" ?

First post, second line.

The answer is yes. :P

MKR on
    edited January 2010
    Quick note: If you have posted or PMed me your Flickr account name, and you dont receive invitation to the Flickr Group within 24 hrs, please let me know. Flickr naming and account system sometimes gets screwy.

muninn on
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »

First post, second line.

The answer is yes. :P

I saw that but I wasn't sure if it was accurate. :P

CommunistCow on
    edited January 2010
    I can confirm with 80% accuracy that it is 100% accurate.

muninn on
    edited January 2010
    So I think my portraits are some of the best examples of my work but I'm not sure if youthful models are really a good fit for "aging"

Also what do you guys think about including this picture of wrinkly hillary:
    2970301987_d24b2f42a6_o.jpg

or nader:
    2967896251_1786536337_o.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've got about 400 new photos I need to sort through and I'm going to San Francisco for a week before I get home. I hope to have a few ok photos.

goggles on
    edited January 2010
    CC put some palpatine-like makeup on your models and have before and after photos. In lieu of makeup use oatmeal. It worked for Evil Dead movies. :)

muninn on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not necessarily lazy, I literally just haven't had time to do this. My life is in somewhat of a craziness lately. Was going to ask for an extension, but I'm guessing we're doing an extension anyways with only 3 people that have submitted?

Prospicience on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll throw in my vote for extending the deadline. I, like I imagine a lot of other folks, got caught busy during the holidays. I've barely even brought my camera out anywhere, let alone made an attempt at a specific photo for the book.

Oh and I've sent a PM for the flickr group. I'm leaving town tomorrow for three weeks to a small hamlet further north than here, but I'm pretty sure they still have the internet. If I randomly stop corresponding and don't submit anything for the book in time though, that's why.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I could've sworn January 15th was the deadline. Could've sworn. Oops. I'm still in, but will need more time.

It went to -35°C and stayed there from the date of my last exam to now, so I've been forced to stay inside over the holiday. My initial plans involved hiking into old growth forest, but I'll have to rethink that now.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    CommunistCrow - Fantastic photos you got there. The subjects, however, are deeply disturbing. Especially the way you captured them. I swear neither one of them ever looks fully human to me, and that startles me.

Buckwolfe on
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My "flickr" so you can add me http://www.flickr.com/people/jharrisphoto/ (nothing on there yet though)

Been stupid busy with work but I've just got my hands on a Nikon FM2n film body so expect some contribution from me in the next couple of weeks.

JAmp5 on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Here's where my idea is headed, crits welcome:

4255120042_50bc856196_b.jpg

4254445439_fea786f81a_b.jpg

anable on
    edited January 2010
    Anable, I like the subject and how they relate to the theme. Are you planning on going stark product shot (plain background) like they are now?

erisian pope on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I wanted to keep it very minimalistic. I'm not sure what a more complex background would add.

anable on
    edited January 2010
    Me neither. I sorta get this mental image when I look at them that includes a single additional element amidst the starkness. I feel hesitant to suggest that, since this is your vision and not mine, so I'm not really suggesting it. But when I look at the first pairing I see in my mind like a lego or a kid's toothbrush - something horizontal, near the mr bubbles, definitely secondary, like a single prop (then on the right a man's necklace like dogtags, or maybe a gillette razor, or something).

For me the idea of that same minimalism would be accentuated by having two items in the starkness. The subject plus a prop.

But, I REALLY want to emphasize, it's just this image that floats into my head when I look at these. It may be a really bad idea.

Don't hate me.

erisian pope on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like the concept a lot. I'd rather see the pairs having a shared surface on which the item rests - having the white base move between the Mr Bubbles and the Axe reduces the cohesion of the pair. In a similar vein, I'd like to see slightly stronger shadows on the surface these rest on. Even lighting across the objects themselves is great, but having them float in white space makes them less "real" looking. Not sure if these images were just proof of concept, but in case they're not - your WB isn't the same in them and your exposure moves around half a stop or so between the first and second pair.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I dig the concept as well.
    Another spin on it would be items we used as kids, and their adult counterparts. Bubble bath vs axe bodywash. Pacifier vs chewing gum. Baby food vs steak. etc.

One thing about your set is that you can clearly see the age difference between the bubble bottle and axe packaging design, but in your glass vs bottled water scenario it is less clear due to the fancy glass you are using. I think a ye olde glass would have more effect.

muninn on
    edited January 2010
    Me neither. I sorta get this mental image when I look at them that includes a single additional element amidst the starkness. I feel hesitant to suggest that, since this is your vision and not mine, so I'm not really suggesting it. But when I look at the first pairing I see in my mind like a lego or a kid's toothbrush - something horizontal, near the mr bubbles, definitely secondary, like a single prop (then on the right a man's necklace like dogtags, or maybe a gillette razor, or something).

For me the idea of that same minimalism would be accentuated by having two items in the starkness. The subject plus a prop.

But, I REALLY want to emphasize, it's just this image that floats into my head when I look at these. It may be a really bad idea.

Don't hate me.

Nothing but love for you Pope. I thought about the same thing but decided against it, mostly because it felt a little tacky and forced in my head. But I have a strong slant towards minimalism, so that might just be my personal bias at work. All of the images will be the child/adult contrast, so all of the prop items would simply be reinforcing that fact, something the objects should do by themselves.
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    I like the concept a lot. I'd rather see the pairs having a shared surface on which the item rests - having the white base move between the Mr Bubbles and the Axe reduces the cohesion of the pair. In a similar vein, I'd like to see slightly stronger shadows on the surface these rest on. Even lighting across the objects themselves is great, but having them float in white space makes them less "real" looking. Not sure if these images were just proof of concept, but in case they're not - your WB isn't the same in them and your exposure moves around half a stop or so between the first and second pair.

I tried the shared surface but I wasn't happy with the way it came out. I'll probably go back and try it again, but I'm actually fond of the "floating" look right now. I wanted the objects to be very iconic which I think is how they currently come off. They are proof of concept, but thanks for pointing out the white balance.
    muninn wrote: »
    Yeah, I dig the concept as well.
    Another spin on it would be items we used as kids, and their adult counterparts. Bubble bath vs axe bodywash. Pacifier vs chewing gum. Baby food vs steak. etc.

One thing about your set is that you can clearly see the age difference between the bubble bottle and axe packaging design, but in your glass vs bottled water scenario it is less clear due to the fancy glass you are using. I think a ye olde glass would have more effect.

I'm not sure I understand your first point. That's exactly the dichotomy I'm going for so I'm not sure what you thought my original take on it was. Good point on the glass, it is too fancy. I think I'll do a water hose instead.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

anable on
    edited January 2010
    Oh, I wasnt sure if the dichotomy was old products vs new, or children's products of old and adult products now. I guess I wasnt familiar with Mr. Bubble.

muninn on
    edited January 2010
    I like the minimalism and "floatingness".

CommunistCow on
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Cow.

We have decided on the new deadline for submissions?

anable on
    edited January 2010
    anable wrote: »

We have decided on the new deadline for submissions?

Not really. I am using the executive powers invested in me by the... myself, to set the first tentative deadline to Feb 15th. This gives people a month to come up with something. Any dissenting voices will be silen... taken under consideration.

I am thinking that if we dont get anything by February, we will be switching to a free-for-all theme, or just selecting another theme among those people that contributed work to the project. I can see how 2 months might not be a lot of time, but it should be enough to come up with a photo or two.

muninn on
    edited January 2010
    So here is a summary of the PA Big Book of Photos Project:

20 people shown interest in participating in the project.
    12 became members of the PA Flickr Group.
    5 actually posted photos in the group.

It has been about a month since we decided on a theme, and so far 32 photos have been submitted.

muninn on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I haven't had a chance to really go out and try to shoot some new images. I have some older ones that I could try to crop and clean up, but I'd really like to get some newer shots. I was hoping for this weekend, but it's looking like a bad weekend, again >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe this would be easier in the summer/spring?

Uncle Long on
    edited January 2010
    I doubt it's a school thing for more than a couple of people that haven't submitted anything yet so I'm not sure what a season change would do for us. I dunno, it kinda just seems like most projects: lots of enthusiasm in the beginning, followed by wanning interest in subsequent weeks.

I blame the internet for people's lack of attention. Or something.

There's still a couple of weeks left so people might still join in the final stretch, but I guess we should begin thinking about whether we want to still put the book together with a limited number of participants or if we should scrap the idea all together. I guess we'll see what our photo pool looks like come February.

anable on