As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What to do in Kansas City?

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife is going to an open house thing at Children's Mercy Hospital this Saturday, so from 10AM - 3PM I'll be on my own in Kansas City. What's there to do that's fun and free/relatively inexpensive? Any decent museums that have free exhibits or something? I recall at least walking through the lobby of one about 5 years ago, but couldn't tell you anything more than that. Unfortunately, it's butt-cold this time of year, so wandering around town afoot is out, which is my usual way to burn time in strange cities. I'd prefer something in the general vicinity of Hospital Hill, or an easily navigable highway trip away. I've navigated twice in KC and found it super confusing.

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on

• CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Crown Center is a couple blocks away. They have tons of shopping, restaurants, etc. You could always go ice skating by yourself and look creepy!

There's also Union Station which has restaurants, exhibits, museums, theaters, and other stuff.

CheerfulBear on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's also the Country Club Plaza (Google Map). The Plaza is basically giant outdoor mall with all kinds of shops and restaurants. There's an AMC movie theatre on the Plaza as well.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kemper Museum of Modern Art. Both are free, and located a couple of blocks from the Plaza.

RocketSauce on
  • nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been to the plaza, it seemed pretty cool. My wife is from the area. Also, go find a Carlos O'Kelly's if you don't have them where you are from. Its mediocre but awesome mexican food!

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well if he's going to travel down to the Plaza from Hospital Hill (do you have a car, Tofystedet?) he might as well stop by Westport too. That's the art, music, alternative-stuff area. It's got a lot of great little restaurants, cafes, and shops. Go to Tea Drops and pick up some nice tea collected from the ancient lava tubes of Mongolia or something! Oh, they also have good bubble tea.

CheerfulBear on
  • DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd suggest avoiding anything that involves being outside for any amount of time. Brian Busby says the high temp on Saturday is going to be -1. Yes, NEGATIVE ONE.

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
    edited January 2010
    I'd offer to hang out with the OP for a bit on Saturday but I don't know if I'm going to be in town or not this weekend. I should know by Thursday night/Friday morning.

Evil_Reaver on
  • quietguyinthebackquietguyintheback Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How do you feel about biscuits and gravy? The Brick does breakfast from 10-3. There's a biscuit and gravy bar. Such good biscuits and gravy. Do that before the other stuff.

As for the other stuff, I'll second the Nelson. I'm not a big fan of the Plaza. Let's face it Kansas Citians. It's a mall. With pretty Christmas lights. Besides, it's outdoors. Sooo cold right now.

quietguyintheback on
    edited January 2010
    As for the other stuff, I'll second the Nelson. I'm not a big fan of the Plaza. Let's face it Kansas Citians. It's a mall. With pretty Christmas lights. Besides, it's outdoors. Sooo cold right now.

Eh, I only suggest the Plaza because it's there and accessible. Personally, I don't like going there because it's an outdoor mall and the only stores I ever go to are the Gap and the North Face outlet.

Evil_Reaver on
  • quietguyinthebackquietguyintheback Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Don't get me wrong. I love the Better Cheddar as much as the next guy.

quietguyintheback on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How do you feel about biscuits and gravy? The Brick does breakfast from 10-3. There's a biscuit and gravy bar. Such good biscuits and gravy. Do that before the other stuff.

That sounds like a great place to have lunch. I haven't had biscuits and gravy in years. My wife and I are thinking of hitting Oklahoma Joe's for some barbeque for supper, as a friend of ours who grew up there says it's her favorite. And how can you visit KC without eating some BBQ. Thanks for the tips all.

And E_V, yeah, I'd hang if you're around. It'd be nice to put a face to a name. I could even treat you to lunch. Do you like biscuits and gravy? :wink:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Oklahoma Joe's is my favorite BBQ place in Kansas City, followed by Jack Stack and then Gate's/Arthur Bryant's. There's two locations of Oklahoma Joe's: Kansas City, KS and Overland Park, KS. I've never been to the KCK location, but that's the original, back-of-gas-station restaurant. The OP location is in its own building and stuff, but that will be quite a drive from downtown KCMO.

I'll shoot you a PM later this week to let you know if I'll be around. Honestly, it's going to be waaaaay to cold here this weekend to do anything outside, so going to a movie or drinking in a bar (or both) are going to be your only viable activities.

Evil_Reaver on
  • FuzeBoxFuzeBox Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hell yes on the Oklahoma Joe's - it's the best bbq I've eaten.

The Olathe (referred to as Overland Park in the post above mine) location is just off 119th on Strang Line - easy to get to via 35 South. It's on the right as you head south on Strang Line across from the Burger King in a strip mall. If you can get down there for lunch or dinner, do it.

FuzeBox on