As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cars which have been stolen, and the Title thereof.

saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My Honda Accord was recently stolen and recovered a few days later with no damages. For reasons totally unrelated I am now trying to sell the car. I am listing it on craigslist as having a clean title. Is this wrong? I looked on the CA DMV site and the only definition I could find was of a salvage title and that certainly doesn't apply to my car.

XBL: heavenkils
saltiness on

• Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I do believe that it's fine. Problems with titles usually include liens against the vehicles, or salvage titles (cars rebuilt from junkyards that have been wrecked or damaged with water.)

Aurin on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    IANAL

no, as long as what you say is accurate ("no damages"). it wouldn't hurt to check the upholstery under a uv light, though (ie "joyride").

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm just going to call the DMV tomorrow and try to get the official word from them. There really were no damages at all. I have no idea how they started it without screwing up the steering column or anything. Seems like they just didn't feel like walking the mile or so that they drove it.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If it's been stolen it is no longer a "clean title" technically it is salvage because it was recovered from theft. It's very common with hondas, just list as "salvage due to theft".

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If it's been stolen it is no longer a "clean title" technically it is salvage because it was recovered from theft. It's very common with hondas, just list as "salvage due to theft".

This would be the case if the OP filed a claim and the insurance company paid out. In the case of stolen cars most insurance companies wait a minimum of about three weeks before they start a stolen car claim as it will always be a total loss. I believe you are still alright OP.

However you should have that car inspected by a qualified mechanic. Just because it appears sound does not make it so. If you are selling the car be absolutely sure it is in proper form and look up your state's lemon laws. You do not want to be sued 16 months down the road because you sold a car that had its airbags nicked and replaced with mcdonalds wrappers. True story.

Shogun on