As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Costumes '10?

• Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Since I'm a Sam and Max fan, is it okay if I dress up like Sam? His costume consists of a gray suit, striped blue-and-black tie, and fedora hat, as you can tell by my avatar. I might probably improvise on my costume a bit and add a vest, you know, bring back the three-piece suit look... and dress shoes, since Sam doesn't usually wear any.

I'd dress up as Max, but since Max is all nekkid, I'd probably get kicked out of the convention!

Bad Asp on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bad Asp wrote: »
    I'd dress up as Max, but since Max is all nekkid, I'd probably get kicked out of the convention!

He's a bunny, right? You might be mistaken for a furry.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Liger wrote: »
    You might be mistaken for a furry.

"May the furries be de-furred, Snacks unbanned, and may the great kingdom of 4chan strive for anonymity" (Raptor Jesus)

Amen.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited January 2010

He's a bunny, right? You might be mistaken for a furry.

Oh my god! You said the F word! :P

Seriously though, I'm gonna dress up as Sam anyway just to have an excuse to wear a suit and tie to a video game convention.

Bad Asp on
  • Hombre GatoHombre Gato Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1. There *will* be costumes. I say this because the one year I attended Anime Boston it was, like 60% attendees in full dress and makeup. I actually felt out of place because I wasn't carrying swords. I don't know how you people do it in Washington but this is Boston, where we periodically dress up as browncoats and redcoats and fake-fight on fields with historical significance for no reason at all.

2. If for some reason PAX doesn't generally attract cosplayers, Anime Boston is, like, one week later or something. Same location.

3. March is cold in Boston.

4. The convention is connected to a mall. This means two things:

a. The food will taste better and cost less than typical convention eateries
    b. To get to the food you will be walking through the mall. People will stare at you, take pictures with their phones, and occasionally express concern over realistic weapons, especially if you look more like Solid Snake than Squall Lionheart.

I hope that last part answers the realistic weapon question. If you can't hide it, you will attract security as soon as you venture into the mall. There are bathrooms in the convention center but you might want to try the mall food court ones for less crowds.

The security guards at that mall are, douchebags. They tried to disperse a PS3 preorder line when I was there, and eventually gave up trying to move us on the condition that nobody sat down on the floor. As long as you were standing you were fine, but sitting got you screamed at in the face.

Try standing for 16 hours straight and see where that takes you.

Hombre Gato on
  • runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yo. Good to see that PAX-E is going to have some cos-representation.

Hopefully, hopefully, I will be attending PAX-E this year after the somewhat embarrassing fiasco of my self setting up the cosplay thread for PAX-09 and then not being able to attend (hence why I didn't start a thread this time around). I left a hint in the last thread as what I'll be going as and today I started getting to grips with the logistics.

I'm sure there will be a large contingent of cosplayers this year, and if not, I don't really care. I'm doing this for me because I am a huge dork.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Hombre GatoHombre Gato Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As long as it's not a redcoat, we're looking forward to seeing you

Hombre Gato on
    edited January 2010
    1. There *will* be costumes. I say this because the one year I attended Anime Boston it was, like 60% attendees in full dress and makeup. I actually felt out of place because I wasn't carrying swords. I don't know how you people do it in Washington but this is Boston, where we periodically dress up as browncoats and redcoats and fake-fight on fields with historical significance for no reason at all.

The convention is connected to a mall. This means two things:

a. The food will taste better and cost less than typical convention eateries
    b. To get to the food you will be walking through the mall. People will stare at you, take pictures with their phones, and occasionally express concern over realistic weapons, especially if you look more like Solid Snake than Squall Lionheart.

I hope that last part answers the realistic weapon question. If you can't hide it, you will attract security as soon as you venture into the mall.

This sounds exactly like Seattle, except to get to the mall we have to go outside and walk a few blocks in our costumes and show them off more, and we've had so many recent police shootings that any type of gun-shaped object is suspicious. You come to expect getting stared at anywhere if you're in costume.

I dunno how you do it in Massachusetts but this is Seattle, where we wear utility kilts as normal everyday garb in the hippest trendiest parts of downtown. ;) I think if attendees come in costume and expect the normal reactionary behavior that suits cosplay and geeky conventions, there won't be anything unexpected.

Liger on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kitteh wrote: »
    I plan on dressing up! :D Trying to organize a rather large TF2 group, but people are being uncooperative so far. ><

Haven't been to PAX Prime but I do remember seeing a nice selection of cosplayers on Kotaku.

As much as I said I wouldnt wear pokemon stuff, if I could find the equipment, I may be coaxed into pulling together a Medic Costume. If for no other reason than to walk around with a bad german accent.
    Oh ho ho, very clever NotACrook.

I was asking partially to see if anyone actually was going to dress up, and partially to see if it would be over kill to go as the Witch from L4D. I'm thinking it will.
    Hmmm... perhaps a Pikachu costume will be in order.

Option #2 is I pull out my old BDU's and go as Bill from L4D... However I will only do this if people volunteer to go as a full collection of Survivors and Special Infected.

ZeroHourHero on
    edited January 2010
    This sounds exactly like Seattle, except to get to the mall we have to go outside and walk a few blocks in our costumes and show them off more, and we've had so many recent police shootings that any type of gun-shaped object is suspicious.

Don't worry, my Sam costume is not going to include a gun. It might include a vest, but definitely not a gun.

Bad Asp on
    edited January 2010
    This sounds exactly like Seattle, except to get to the mall we have to go outside and walk a few blocks in our costumes and show them off more, and we've had so many recent police shootings that any type of gun-shaped object is suspicious.

Don't worry, my Sam costume is not going to include a gun. It might include a vest, but definitely not a gun.

Not knowing yet what exactly to expect in Boston myself, I'd say that's a good plan. ;)

Liger on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Not knowing yet what exactly to expect in Boston myself, I'd say that's a good plan. ;)

Just replace the guns with lightup mooninites.

Atlus Parker on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Are you trying to get him shot?

ZeroHourHero on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Are you trying to get him shot?

Oh that was the intended goal? My bad.

Atlus Parker on
    edited January 2010

Yeah, that's less likely to threaten anyone in Boston.

Bad Asp on
    edited January 2010
    Kitteh wrote: »
    I plan on dressing up! :D Trying to organize a rather large TF2 group, but people are being uncooperative so far. ><

Haven't been to PAX Prime but I do remember seeing a nice selection of cosplayers on Kotaku.

As much as I said I wouldnt wear pokemon stuff, if I could find the equipment, I may be coaxed into pulling together a Medic Costume. If for no other reason than to walk around with a bad german accent.
    Oh ho ho, very clever NotACrook.

I was asking partially to see if anyone actually was going to dress up, and partially to see if it would be over kill to go as the Witch from L4D. I'm thinking it will.
    Hmmm... perhaps a Pikachu costume will be in order.

Option #2 is I pull out my old BDU's and go as Bill from L4D... However I will only do this if people volunteer to go as a full collection of Survivors and Special Infected.

If you go as a medic, I will have to bring my friend along to see you. He's big, has side-burns, and a mean, loud Russian accent. And he LOVES quoting the Medic. (If I'm getting the game right... Never played it myself)
    For L4D, I'm game if other people are game, but I'm not going to walk around a convention center 2/3 naked if I'm not going to see other L4D players. PS: Bill is my favorite character.

To the lightup moonites convo: LOL.

No seriously, I laughed out loud.

RainbowTunnel on
  • venndiagramvenndiagram Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I will most likely be sporting my Persona 4 protagonist costume.
    Awesome! I'm going to put together a Chie costume, and I'm going with friends who'll be Souji and Yukiko.

venndiagram on
  • LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to be going as Rosso the Crimson from Dirge of Cerberus (as much as I disliked the game in context with the whole FFVII series/spinoffs, a sadistic Russian red-headed character is practically me in a nutshell, besides the sadist part). :P

What do you guys think about Rosso's weapon/gunblade thing? If it's not actually going to be sharp or all that dangerous, do you think it'd be allowed? http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs18/f/2007/147/9/b/Rosso_The_Crimson__s_Blade_by_NoenGaruth.jpg

Loweryi on
  • OriginalGmanOriginalGman JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Awesome! I'm going to put together a Chie costume, and I'm going with friends who'll be Souji and Yukiko.

Sweet, it sucks being the only one in my group to dress up. What day(s) is/are the best to wear our costumes, you guys think?

OriginalGman on
    edited January 2010
    Loweryi: I think that if it's obviously non-lethal, it should be fine. Otherwise, let it stay clear away from the convention hall lest it be torn to pieces by the Hynes staff.

OriginalGman: I'd think that the best day, similar to Anime Boston, is Saturday. It's not a potential school day, and it's not Sunday! Therefore it's the best-attended day. Though I could be wrong, seeing as PAX is a totally different con, but I don't think so.

RainbowTunnel on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I cannot stress RainbowTunnel's response to Lowry enough. Whenever a big convention like AB or PAX comes to Boston, police patrol the T stops. If there is even a hint that the weapon your carrying is not fake you will be detained (if not worse).
    The weapons laws here in MA, to put it bluntly, are draconian at best. Don't give the cops a reason to stop you. If you are, for whatever reason, stopped, please answer their questions or you will spend the night in jail (this happened at another con within the last 2 years).
    If it's possible to carry the weapon in a bag and have it peace-bonded at the convention (I assume PAX will have such a service available), that tells the security staffs that the weapon is fake. I'd still be very cautious, however.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    I have not seen peace bonding services at pax in previous years.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2010
    Well there should be!

RainbowTunnel on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you have to peace tie a weapon to not get arrested, maybe you shouldn't have it.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey Folks, just wanted to let all the Cosplay people know about the Costume party that we will be hosting during our "Gamers Gone Wild" party on Saturday. If interested, check out the link below (got the ok from Khahil prior to posting this, don't want to spam anyone with links to another site). If you have questions feel free to contact me directly.

Party and Costume Contest: Saturday, March 27

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's your con and you run it your way, but I highly suggest you have a peace-bonding policy of some sort if you plan on having people with costumes at your convention. It's the only way convention center staff know the weapons are fake.
    There was a real problem at another large convention held in that same building a couple of years ago where the security staff for the hotel thought a weapon was real and moved to confiscate it from the attendee wearing it. This resulted in many a cosplayer being harassed left and right by the entire security force of that hotel (which is directly connected to the Hynes).
    Granted, that year there was a contract problem with the normal security workers and everyone on the security force for the hotel were temps that didn't know what they were doing, but this sort of thing creates a lot of bad blood, and in the end, the security force has the backing of the real cops, not the attendee.
    Please discuss this with the legal department. It is not something one should take for granted (ask any of the heads of security for the other cons in this area and they'll tell you).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
    edited January 2010
    No one in this forum (except Heels and the PA officials) are running this convention. The majority of people talking in this particular thread are either volunteer Enforcers who have no official voice, or attendees with prior PAX experience.

Peace bonding has never been an issue before because 1) until the last couple of years, there haven't been many cosplayers and 2) attendees haven't been stupid enough to walk around with realistic or real weapons in a crowded, public, downtown space.

If you are at all concerned that your prop weapon may be mistaken for real, do the smart thing and LEAVE IT AT HOME.

Liger on
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I do have to concur that anything that looks like a real weapon just shouldn't be part of the costume.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
    edited January 2010
    I'm posting this here and in the FAQ Thread:

I went ahead and asked the Powers That Be about acceptable costume accessories (prop weapons). Nerf, airsoft, or anything that has the capability of firing a projectile should be left at home.

Liger on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    From the Enforcer documentation:
    No weapons potentially capable of firing any manner of projectile are allowed at PAX. This includes Nerf and Airsoft guns.
    So, you will be asked to remove any projectile weapons you bring on site. Please don't make us need to ask you to do this; just don't bring them in the first place.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Only made it to '08, but the Tri-Wizard had a few cosplayers, and I hear '09 had a few more.

The con itself had a few well done costumes, and I did an awful Agent 47 (though I did get a couple of nice people asking to be assassinated). They were few and far between enough that they stood out, but not so uncommon to be remarkable. Of course, the Enforcers were kilt clad, which tends to skew ideas of normal.

Oh, and Atlus, get on that Crawl thread. Room mate is working on the tentacles, and I herd u liek my costume.

Loser4Now on
    edited January 2010
    I agree with Liger and Jaberwockynmt. If you have to ask if it's safe, it probably isn't.

Of course that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be peace-bonding at a con with potential (and obviously active) costumes, it just means that at this particular one there isn't. We can debate about it until the day of the convention, but it all comes down to the rules, and the rules are what they are.

So, no projectiles, no fake guns, no lightsabers (as depressing as that is).

..... though now I am tempted to bring a lightsaber......

RainbowTunnel on
    edited January 2010
    So, definitely no sporting equipment?

OriginalGman on
    edited January 2010
    Can your sporting equipment fire a projectile? (Don't say you'll remove the firing pins)

Liger on
    edited January 2010
    Only if you swing it in a near 360 rotation into a small, porous, white ball.

OriginalGman on
    edited January 2010
    If you don't bring any of those small, porous, white balls, you should be good.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited January 2010
    Follow Wheaton's Law and non-projectile sporting equipment should be okay.

Liger on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    People don't seem to remember this is boston where this 1184011670_0149.jpg happens when you put up a sign with wires.

So feel free to walk around with your fake uzi just don't be surprised when you are in jail.

Also if khoo said he does not want it then don't do it, it's not hard people.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    People don't seem to remember this is boston where this 1184011670_0149.jpg happens when you put up a sign with wires.

So feel free to walk around with your fake uzi just don't be surprised when you are in jail.

Mooninites for the win!

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vaulter85 wrote: »

Mooninites for the win!

Statement... if Anime Boston has several cosplayers with huge-ass weaponry, why don't THEY seem to remember? I think that little statement is a lil' bit too extreme, but only used as a method to scare people. But I still do agree to the fact that props looking like weapons or projectiles are not a great idea to bring at all, just screw it and go with a different cosplay! Pokemon is the best fallback idea.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
This discussion has been closed.